• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So I'll just go ahead and make a K Rool pro/con list from what I've seen and understood.

Pros:
-A major Donkey Kong character and the series' original villain.
-Comes from a series that lacks representation in Smash, getting almost nothing new in 10 years.
-Another super heavy candidate, a rather barren character niche.
-The right canonical moves to form a good set of moves, and the right personality to improvise some fresh ones.
-One of the most highly demanded characters in the West as well as Japan. After Ridley and maybe Wolf, he basically was uncontested in demand.
-Is not hindered by programming difficulties or potential balance issues a la Ice Climbers, Ridley or Olimar.
-Placed well in the Smash 4 ballot. Very well, in fact.
-Is coming into a game seemingly catered more to the fan's requests than ever before.
-A good contrast to DK and the other villains in Smash. Could easily fit into event matches or a story mode of some kind.
-Appeared as a mii costume, indicating that Sakurai is aware of K Rools popularity at least to an extent.

Cons:
-Neglected by the Donkey Kong series for almost two decades, meaning he's an old fashioned pick whose not catered to younger audiences.
-A bit discredited in Smash itself, not receiving the kind of recognition characters like Ridley or Isaac have gotten until said Mii costume: didn't even have a trophy in Smash 4.
-Faces competition from Dixie Kong for a DK newcomer, who is more recent in appearances within DK and is also an easier choice in terms of resources.
-Is also in a Smash game with a smaller number of newcomers than previous games, meaning competition is more meaningful.
Generally correct, although bolded is false. He had a trophy in both versions of the game. All translations of the trophy functionally refer to him as to DK as Bowser is to Mario as well. https://www.ssbwiki.com/King_K._Rool (Scroll down to the Smash 4 section)

It should also be noted that his Mii costume, as well as the Inkling Mii costume, were the only two first party ones based on original assets, and especially noted that K. Rool's used his dormant but popular Rare design.

Kremlings appearing in Smash Run in 3DS is also a decent Pro to note.

Whether he actually faces competition with Dixie is potentially dubious, but we obviously have no way of knowing how Sakurai feels about one or both of them unless they're added. Same with ballot results, although recurring trends do pop up that seem to align with our estimates.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
So I'll just go ahead and make a K Rool pro/con list from what I've seen and understood.

Pros:
-Comes from a series that lacks representation in Smash, getting almost nothing new in 10 years.
-The right canonical moves to form a good set of moves, and the right personality to improvise some fresh ones.
-One of the most highly demanded characters in the West as well as Japan. After Ridley and maybe Wolf, he basically was uncontested in demand.
-Is not hindered by programming difficulties or potential balance issues a la Ice Climbers, Ridley or Olimar.
-Is coming into a game seemingly catered more to the fan's requests than ever before.
-A good contrast to DK and the other villains in Smash. Could easily fit into event matches or a story mode of some kind.
-Appeared as a mii costume, indicating that Sakurai is aware of K Rools popularity at least to an extent.

Cons:
-Neglected by the Donkey Kong series for almost two decades, meaning he's an old fashioned pick whose not catered to younger audiences.
-A bit discredited in Smash itself, not receiving the kind of recognition characters like Ridley or Isaac have gotten until said Mii costume: didn't even have a trophy in Smash 4.
-Faces competition from Dixie Kong for a DK newcomer, who is more recent in appearances within DK and is also an easier choice in terms of resources.
-Is also in a Smash game with a smaller number of newcomers than previous games, meaning competition is more meaningful.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but K. Rool's last non-Smash appearance was in Super Sluggers, which came out in 2008. His last Smash appearance was, in fact, as a trophy in Smash 4.

In other words, his odds aren't as bad as you think they are.

Edit: And if we're talking specifically Donkey Kong games, Barrel Blast was in 2007, the year before Super Sluggers.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

Pros:

Cons:
His last appearance was in 2007 he was main villain of King of Swing and Jungle Climber, so he has been abscent for 10 years** not two decades

He did have a Trophy in Smash 4....

Just two points to throw at your cons list there..

I've said this before when it comes to Dixie, the funny thing here is, unlike K. Rool who has had fleeting mentions in Smash games through trophys, Dixie has been snubbed twice so far, she was cut from Brawl and didn't get into Smash 4 despite having a staring role in Tropical Freeze that was the most recent game up to that time, add that to the fact that she was considered for the previous Smash yet still didn't get in.... everyone keeps saying theyre in competition with one another but one was actually considered dropped and then not given another chance despite her current starring role vs the other who has only within the past 5 years became far more popular...

Id say Dixie is at more of a negative at this point.... I think they will both get in as I hope they both do. I just think people arent considering Dixies two clear misses with series enough... then on top of that add, K. Rool getting a Mii outfit as soon as his popularity takes off, Dixie has recieved next to nothing in Smash so far.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Ah for some reason I dont remember his trophy, just obscure Tropical Freeze stuff like Fish Poker Pops and Colonel Pluck. I'll edit that part. And yeah Mario Sluggers, but I was referring to main series DK games, I.e. his own series, rather than being an extra in the mario extended universe. I didn't realize he was even in King of Swing either. That actually makes an even better case then.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll restate what I said before: Dixie is no more competition for K. Rool than any other character. Sakurai is not going to pick a character with the fraction of K. Rool's popularity instead of him. He will evaluate K. Rool on his own terms.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I gotta tell ya lads, its gettin rough out there in the SmashSphere. I fear we may become the new Ridley fanbase. Even so, let us live in hope, shall we?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'll restate what I said before: Dixie is no more competition for K. Rool than any other character. Sakurai is not going to pick a character with the fraction of K. Rool's popularity instead of him. He will evaluate K. Rool on his own terms.
Yeah, I dont believe in 'character slots' or franchise slots or anything. Dixie is mainly competition only because, if Sakurai lacks the time and resources to implement a lot of characters, he may choose options that utilize less of those things. If considering a DK rep for the game to appease fans and credit the series more, he may choose an easier character like Dixie, who can be a simple echo fighter or semi clone and is also a fan favorite, over a complicated, resource intensive newcomer who has to be built from the ground up like K Rool. Viewing character inclusions by 'slots' is misguided, but there's no denying that when resources are limited (and they always are), simple things are sometimes favored over complex ones.

The general idea, after all, is that the DK series has been shafted. So a newcomer of some kind is in high demand, and when considering that, Sakurai and the team have to decide what to do with the DK series, and who they have the time to implement. They have time for one of them, both of them, even more than those two, or none at all. But if it ends up being one DK character as the limit to what they can pull off, Dixie becomes K Rools rival by default. That's how i view this kind of thing.

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
I gotta tell ya lads, its gettin rough out there in the SmashSphere. I fear we may become the new Ridley fanbase. Even so, let us live in hope, shall we?
At least the Ridley fanbase didn't send death threats to Sakurai. I'm a Waluigi fan as much as the next guy, but harassing the man with death threats is going too far.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Referring to...? From what I've seen, even in places like /v/, the project plan news has K. Rool and the ballot in everyone's sights.

Not like we have a "been rejected before" or "too big" hanging over us. All we have is "muh relevance", and is 10 years really *that* big of a gap?

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I keep hearing about this ten year gap going against kkr, but really dk has only had like two games in that time, so he hasn’t truly missed that many games. I mean. Ganondorf doesn’t appear in every game either, loz just releases games far more often.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
So I just wanna say something about the Smash Ballot that I've been seeing a lot of people talk about and that is the fact that the online polls are being written off as "Nothing." While I will say that none of the data collected is concrete by any stretch of the imagination, the truth of the matter is that not many casual players know that the Smash Ballot exist. Yeah there's plenty of people that buy the games / watch the Nintendo Directs but it was a poll hidden away in a few pages on the Smash Bros. website that was mentioned ONCE in Nintendo Direct and then not again until December of 2015. Yeah, there's a lot of people who probably saw it through word of mouth but the online collected polls are decent enough indicators as to what people actually put down on the ballot. If Nintendo pushed it extremely through TV ads and such then, yeah, of course online collected data wouldn't be trustworthy. But in general you had to be a hardcore Smash fan to not only learn about the ballot but also bother putting in data.

That being said I don't want to keep my hopes up just through a few fan-collected polls but that data doesn't mean "nothing" like a lot of people say.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
At least the Ridley fanbase didn't send death threats to Sakurai. I'm a Waluigi fan as much as the next guy, but harassing the man with death threats is going too far.
Yeah, that's not cool. Yer always gonna have crazies in any fandom though. They aren't the majority.

That...also is unrelated to the discussion, actually o.o

Referring to...? From what I've seen, even in places like /v/, the project plan news has K. Rool and the ballot in everyone's sights.

Not like we have a "been rejected before" or "too big" hanging over us. All we have is "muh relevance", and is 10 years really *that* big of a gap?
Mostly the discussion thread in the General section. "Muh Relevance" is indeed strong there. No matter. We gotta be civil yet passionate. Iron fist in a soft glove! :)

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, that's not cool. Yer always gonna have crazies in any fandom though. They aren't the majority.

That...also is unrelated to the discussion, actually o.o

Mostly the discussion thread in the General section. "Muh Relevance" is indeed strong there. No matter. We gotta be civil yet passionate. Iron fist in a soft glove! :)
Oh, that's it? Gen chat stuff? I'm sure it's all projection or the usual suspects ****ting on a character that might threaten theirs by hitting with the obvious cons. It's nothing new for us tbh.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Oh, that's it? Gen chat stuff? I'm sure it's all projection or the usual suspects ****ting on a character that might threaten theirs by hitting with the obvious cons. It's nothing new for us tbh.
Eh. I may be the new guy, but one could see it was comin'! Nothing too hairy, although the mods had to put the kabosh on K. Rool talk for now. LOL!

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I had a crazy idea back a week ago: What if K. Rool not only had his four personas as alts, but a costume based on every character in the game, base and DLC? I really think K. Rool should have at least one of his costumes as an alt. It's a pipe dream but I'd die laughing if I saw him dressed as say, Lucina or Ness.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
So I just wanna say something about the Smash Ballot that I've been seeing a lot of people talk about and that is the fact that the online polls are being written off as "Nothing." While I will say that none of the data collected is concrete by any stretch of the imagination, the truth of the matter is that not many casual players know that the Smash Ballot exist. Yeah there's plenty of people that buy the games / watch the Nintendo Directs but it was a poll hidden away in a few pages on the Smash Bros. website that was mentioned ONCE in Nintendo Direct and then not again until December of 2015. Yeah, there's a lot of people who probably saw it through word of mouth but the online collected polls are decent enough indicators as to what people actually put down on the ballot. If Nintendo pushed it extremely through TV ads and such then, yeah, of course online collected data wouldn't be trustworthy. But in general you had to be a hardcore Smash fan to not only learn about the ballot but also bother putting in data.

That being said I don't want to keep my hopes up just through a few fan-collected polls but that data doesn't mean "nothing" like a lot of people say.
THIS. Casual gamer dont watch direct or go waste time vote for his favorite character.... if casual player vote it may be some waste vote like goku or shrek.
i'm pretty sure K.Rool is one of the top ballot chracter and i ***** love my new avatar picture.... you guys like it?

(its from a great artist , posted on kremling kampaign twitter )

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
THIS. Casual gamer dont watch direct or go waste time vote for his favorite character.... if casual player vote it may be some waste vote like goku or shrek.
i'm pretty sure K.Rool is one of the top ballot chracter and i ***** love my new avatar picture.... you guys like it?

LOVE IT!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Yeah. Like, do people actually think casual fans have an impact on the ballot aside from maybe putting votes in for something like Cloud? Casual fans don't have a concerted effort, they don't *care* how the game works, and will vote for whatever the **** they want. If they vote at all, which most probably would do once or never. It's not like the ballot was advertised on TV or anything. You'd have to know or care about it.

Have you ever spoken to casual fans, or people who don't play Smash, about characters they think would be cool? Half the time, it's like watching Dunkey's "Dream Roster" video.

The ballot was very clearly for dedicated fans to vote. Even if those results aren't exactly what we think they are, it's likely they aren't *that* far off.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
even if they utilize his "YEAAA THANK YOU!!" from DK 64 I don't think he will actually say it, he will probably just throw his arms up and look back and forth as he does and maybe growl.
Wait WHAT?!

Doesn't he just do laughing grunts? I always hear "yeah, wha(r) ha(r)", and I've played that boss battle a lot. Saying "thank you" also wouldn't fit him, in my opinion.

Lately I've become more and more optimistic about K. Rool joining as a fighter. Every info about Smash Ultimate seems to raise his chances.. (it being catered to fans (all chars back + Ridley) or the time it was started/planned (ballot probably highly considered).
If the newer Vergeben leak is true about how many new characters we'll still at least get (which I believe for now), that raises the chances even more.

He seems like the most likely newcomer to me right now. Then again I'm not sure if I want to get my hopes up too much, but since I'm kinda happy about the roster maybe I wouldn't be too sad if they won't include him (my DK-hopes have been crushed enough in Smash for my heart to never open up to this again anyway it seems). There would also still be possible DLC for him as well, so the possibility for him to get added won't die anytime soon, unless they show him as an assist/stagehazard/things like that.

Maybe something like the Subspace Emissary comes back where we will truly have all the evil kings combined trying to take the heroes down. This time everyone would be there with K. Rool, Ridley and even Mewtwo. (While that would be amazing, atm I'm not expecting a huge 1P mode, but we'll see.)

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Wait WHAT?!

Doesn't he just do laughing grunts? I always hear "yeah, wha(r) ha(r)", and I've played that boss battle a lot. Saying "thank you" also wouldn't fit him, in my opinion.

Lately I've become more and more optimistic about K. Rool joining as a fighter. Every info about Smash Ultimate seems to raise his chances.. (it being catered to fans (all chars back + Ridley) or the time it was started/planned (ballot probably highly considered).
If the newer Vergeben leak is true about how many new characters we'll still at least get (which I believe for now), that raises the chances even more.

He seems like the most likeliest newcomer to me right now. Then again I'm not sure if I want to get my hopes up too much, but since I'm kinda happy about the roster maybe I wouldn't be too sad if they won't include him (my DK-hopes have been crushed enough in Smash for my heart to never open up to this again anyway it seems). There would also still be possible DLC for him as well, so the possibility for him to get added won't die anytime soon, unless they show him as an assist/stagehazard/things like that.

Maybe something like the Subspace Emissary comes back where we will truly have all the evil kings combined trying to take the heroes down. This time everyone would be there with K. Rool, Ridley and even Mewtwo. (While that would be amazing, atm I'm not expecting a huge 1P mode, but we'll see.)

@ 0:39

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Most likely newcomer? not sure about that. I actually hold Dixie as equally strong as K Rool

His DK64 swagger needs to be a taunt tho!
Also I always loved the way he faced the player after throwing his crown in DKC1. His face is like: „you like what I did there? Threw my crown, no biggie! And it comes back, just you wait“

Coming back to the potential cannonball special, I love the idea that it can be laid down as a spike trap, however I‘d love it even more if the projectile was chargeable, determining it‘s range and kB.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Say, anyone still think relevancy won't hurt K. Rool's chances of getting in?
Sakurai had no problem putting out there that he wants Geno in Smash. A character who has not appeared in like 20 years and was only in 1 game ever..with less of a heft to his popularity than K Rool, so I would say if he wants Geno...then irrelevant means nothing whatsoever...

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So, ever since speculation started up again, I remembered a certain video our own BKupa666 BKupa666 made back during the DLC days.

Not a day passes where I don't play this, because not only does it tie into my favorite Disney villain song of all time, but every lyric rings true to what's happening now. The stars are aligning, what opposition there was before is all but gone, the timing is optimal, our voices were and are surely even now heard. It's all adding up to what's amounted to a surge in confidence not felt in an age, as the feel of a change in the wind is poised to set sail to a new era.

We were, are, and always will BE PREPARED to see our glorious King through to the very end.

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Hmm I guess I can barely hear something reminiscent of "thank you" after being told what he's apparently saying. Sounds like "tha.. hou" (reminds me of the craken boss from Diddy Kong Racing lol).
I played that game so much, still to this day one of my favorite boss fights, love the way he says thank you.

Quick thought. You know the sound K. Rool and other Kremlings make in DKC when they get stomped on? That needs to be the noise he makes when he gets KO'ed.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
If current relevancy or recency really matered there's a whole bunch of characters that wouldn't be in smash right now.... Pit, DHD, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, Mr. Game & Watch, Megaman.... none of them would be in... or would have been considered..

I understand the community refers to many of these guys as "retro" reps but I don't think Sakurai thinks of them as an arbitrary "oh in need to add am old NES character to the roster" deal.... he's well aware theyre not well known anymore but he adds them anyway.. I don't think "muh relevance" means much to him at all.

I remember hearing something about when Sakurai wanted Cloud the people over at Square thought Cloud was too old or something like that... clearly Sakurai didn't think that way..

K. Rools chances are just as good as any other character...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If current relevancy or recency really matered there's a whole bunch of characters that wouldn't be in smash right now.... Pit, DHD, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, Mr. Game & Watch, Megaman.... none of them would be in... or would have been considered..

I understand the community refers to many of these guys as "retro" reps but I don't think Sakurai thinks of them as an arbitrary "oh in need to add am old NES character to the roster" deal.... he's well aware theyre not well known anymore but he adds them anyway.. I don't think "muh relevance" means much to him at all.

I remember hearing something about when Sakurai wanted Cloud the people over at Square thought Cloud was too old or something like that... clearly Sakurai didn't think that way..

K. Rools chances are just as good as any other character...
DIdn't we talk about how he literally said when talking about some of the costumes, that he wanted to add Geno? Relevancy is clearly *not* an issue to him at all. Of course, it'd be hard to convince detractors of that. They don't have much else besides "fat and ugly".

And if they think other people at Nintendo would tell Sakurai no (They won't, they just think K. Rool is old), that man just released a trailer where "Too Big" literally killed Mario. He can do whatever the hell he pleases.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never actually played DK64 other than multiplayer. But I played a TON of multiplayer DK64. For a while that was our multiplayer game.

I think this is the first time I saw what the boss battle looks like

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
DIdn't we talk about how he literally said when talking about some of the costumes, that he wanted to add Geno? Relevancy is clearly *not* an issue to him at all. Of course, it'd be hard to convince detractors of that. They don't have much else besides "fat and ugly".

And if they think other people at Nintendo would tell Sakurai no (They won't, they just think K. Rool is old), that man just released a trailer where "Too Big" literally killed Mario. He can do whatever the hell he pleases.

XD referring to Ridley only as "Too Big" just cracked me up ha ha ha.... it's late and I should really be asleep right now...

Yea but I'm getting real tired of this "K. Rool hasn't been around for blah blah blah years" "he's been abandoned by his own franchise"

Remember that time Ganondorf got into Smash despite only appearing in one game to date (at that time)... and not being the main villain of the direct sequel... I just don't understand how they put him in when his series abandoned him like that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
XD referring to Ridley only as "Too Big" just cracked me up ha ha ha.... it's late and I should really be asleep right now...

Yea but I'm getting real tired of this "K. Rool hasn't been around for blah blah blah years" "he's been abandoned by his own franchise"

Remember that time Ganondorf got into Smash despite only appearing in one game to date (at that time)... and not being the main villain of the direct sequel... I just don't understand how they put him in when his series abandoned him like that.
Well tbf, Ganondorf is Ganon given human form, and Ganon had been in plenty of games up until that point.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Well tbf, Ganondorf is Ganon given human form, and Ganon had been in plenty of games up until that point.

This is certainly true BUT it was his human Garudo form chosen over his Piggy form for Smash despite it being in one game. Plus Skull Kid appearing in the next game. I'm just saying Ganondorf was picked for Smash and has endured despite not appearing in every game and up to that point only getting one appearance....

That being said I'd love for Piggy Ganon to get in...

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Hey, here's a thought: at what point in the DKC timeline do DKCR and TF take place? Me, I have a theory...

We don't see K. Rool or the Kremlings in either...and yet, here's the twist:

WE DON'T SEE WRINKLY KONG EITHER!

Therefore, I believe this explains a few things. Reading from the DK64 booklet and the in-game info, we know that sometime after DKC 3, K. rool and Krewe returned back to Crocodile Isle. K. Rool in particular feeling thirsty for revenge to the point where his madness drove him to mechanize the whole of his keep into one "Island"--the booklet describes this as having taken "Years" to pull off. This leads me to think that's what K. Rool and Ko. are up to durring the two adventures.

We also know that Wrinkly rises from her grave ONLY upon K. Rool's return. as her dialog greets the Kongs in a first-time manner. That's the fascinating bit of it all! The Tiki's nor the vikings couldn't wake her from her rest, but a returning K. Rool? Oh HELL naw! She knows him and his kind too well to let him win, even in death!

That's muh head canon, and i'm stickin' to it!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I see people arguing about how well he placed on the ballot because "casual's don't know who he is"
Geno was confirmed by Sakurai to be popular among the "silent majority" and his only major appearance was in one of Mario's lesser-known spin-off games that was released in 1996 and only sold around 2 million copies. Not being well-known enough isn't going to be an issue for K. Rool. Whilst people might have a legitimate argument in terms of his lack of recent appearance (granted, Ridley lacked "relevance" during when the project plan for Ultimate was first thought up as his last major appearance before then was in a 2010 game. If Tropical Freeze didn't help Dixie for Smash 4 , I really doubt Samus Returns would affect Ridley's inclusion at all), the whole "not popular enough because he couldn't be well-known enough among the silent majority of Smash fans" argument is not remotely legitimate.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
you guys know that all of his moves don't have to be directly from the DK games. sakurai can give a character a unique move that we haven't seen before. I wouldn't mind something new in his loveseat we haven't seen before.

also I don't want him to have boxing gloves. the outfit yea but we already have characters that use boxing stuff.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
you guys know that all of his moves don't have to be directly from the DK games. sakurai can give a character a unique move that we haven't seen before. I wouldn't mind something new in his loveseat we haven't seen before.

also I don't want him to have boxing gloves. the outfit yea but we already have characters that use boxing stuff.

Yea the crocodile loop like someone suggested before would be neat.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think that in the past, "relevancy" (which is a term I hate to use because in Smash discussion it's always erroneously as a synonym for "having appeared in a recent game") did matter quite a lot, especially in Smash 4 where it felt like nearly every newcomer and stage was tied into some recent and marketable game that Nintendo could advertise. We can argue casual vs hardcore recognition and demographics all we want, but I don't think it's assuming too much to say that Shulk wasn't any more recognizable or iconic than someone like Isaac, for instance. He merely had a more recent game in a franchise with more contemporary value to Nintendo, and that gave him a huge advantage. Obviously, the final decision was Sakurai's to make, but I think he takes that sort of thing into consideration.

However, I think at this point, Sakurai has built up enough credit for himself that Nintendo is more willing to let the man choose content according to his own personal vision, and I expect him to be a bit more unconventional with his picks this time around. It's telling, I think, that we've barely seen any new stages at all, while almost every past stage is returning. A lot of these stages represent old, dated, forgotten, "irrelevant" games, which is a complete 180 from Smash 4's trend of "first level from whatever each series' most recent game is". It might be calling it too early, but the focus seems to be less on the contemporary and more on a comprehensive history of Nintendo, with the content more spread out across a wider range of source games. The Zelda cast all have designs from different games, for instance, whereas in past games, they all tended to conform to whatever was most recent. Returning characters like Young Link and Pichu are hardly "relevant" anymore, but that didn't stop Sakurai from going through with bringing everyone back anyway. Based on past trends, we'd be expecting all the new DK content to represent Tropical Freeze specifically, but maybe that won't actually be the case this time.

While I believe that historically, a character like Geno had absolutely no shot due to being so irrelevant in the grand scheme of Nintendo's history, I now wouldn't be surprised if he actually got in, as long as Sakurai wanted to make it happen. While K. Rool not appearing in such a long time certainly doesn't help him, I don't think his no-show status is going to be the final deciding factor. It's really up to Sakurai and whether he wants to make it happen. If he really has a desire to do it, I think we'll see K. Rool. I doubt he'd get vetoed by any higher-ups, because I really do believe that Nintendo gives Sakurai a lot of free reign over the characters he chooses to include. If Sakurai wants K. Rool despite his lack of recent appearances, I think we'll get K. Rool. If that's too big of a hurdle for Sakurai to get over, then it's still ultimately his call.

I don't place much stock in the fanmade ballot surveys, personally. I think it wildly inflates and deflates people's expectations. The Mii costume, on the other hand, is actual, observable evidence that we can infer from. I think that matters more than any unavoidably flawed fan research.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm still hoping DKCR3, if it ever comes, is the return of the Kremlins.

I remember when Returns 2 had this "Secret playable character" that it would turn out somehow to be K Rool before it was leaked to be Kranky

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
It's crazy to think that next year will mark 20 years since the last appearance of King K. Rool in a mainline Donkey Kong title.
May our hopes never fall, no matter how Gloomy the odds May seem.

1999_anniversary_galleon_nddk64_2.png

D

Deleted member

Hope is rising hopefully K. Rool is in his way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom