• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I'd really rather not unless it happened to coincide with a new DK game and his new theme or that was literally the only way they could get him in. It shouldn't have to come to that though there's more than enough material to work with even if you just took a single personas that exists already .

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
How would you guys feel if K Rool was brought into Smash dawning an entirely new persona? Something like... Samurai K. Rool for example.
It would definitely give Sakurai more freedom for a move set.
I mean, on the one hand, I want K. Rool in at all, so I'd take it over nothing. On the other hand, it would feel unfaithful if it wasn't his King or Kaptain designs, given that most fighters, Retro or otherwise, are given popular, iconic looks. (----> like sexy boi over there) So...50/50 on the idea.

But given we've seen them do the Rare King look justice, I think they'd pick that if anything at all.

Last edited:

AnothenBlue

Smash Cadet
I have a question:
How likely is it that, should K. Rool become playable this time, he will be rather underwhelming when it comes to competetive Smash? I mean he really doesn't look like a very fast guy and speed has always been very important in Smash. Will his tools and power alone be enough for him to at least be decent?
I mean it's not like it really matters in the end as long as he's actually playable, but I feel like it would be better if he wasn't something like the disaster that is Brawl Ganondorf.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
I have a question:
How likely is it that, should K. Rool become playable this time, he will be rather underwhelming when it comes to competetive Smash? I mean he really doesn't look like a very fast guy and speed has always been very important in Smash. Will his tools and power alone be enough for him to at least be decent?
I mean it's not like it really matters in the end as long as he's actually playable, but I feel like it would be better if he wasn't something like the disaster that is Brawl Ganondorf.
In terms of competitive meta, I think he would be mid to high mid-tier. Heavies generally have it tougher than most in smash, but if they incorporate his blunderbuss well, he can make great use of ranged attacks. Also, I can see K. Rool having decent running speed like in the DKC games. Not to mention, I believe bringing back directional airdodging is going to give all heavies a huge buff by helping their positioning. And don't forget, King K. Rool's strong af and can more than hold his own against a big-ass powerful gorilla.

I don't think K. Rool would ever be top tier with all the characters we'll have this time around, but I can see him being a fan favorite mid tier.

Last edited:

AnothenBlue

Smash Cadet
In terms of competitive meta, I think he would be mid to high mid-tier. Heavies generally have it tougher than most in smash, but if they incorporate his blunderbuss well, he can make great use of ranged attacks. Also, I can see K. Rool having decent running speed like in the DKC games. Not to mention, I believe bringing back directional airdodging is going to give all heavies a huge buff by helping their positioning. And don't forget, King K. Rool's strong af and can more than hold his own against a big-*** powerful gorilla.

I don't think K. Rool would ever be top tier with all the characters we'll have this time around, but I can see him being a fan favorite mid tier.
He was pretty fast in DKC, but those were pre-rendered sprites that technically simply slid along the floor. I'm not sure how that would look in 3D. I do hope that he runs fast though. Not a big fan of slow characters.

I can see that too, especially if they do something interesting with his Blunderbuss like making it possible to use different projectiles with it. Less linear characters are generally more entertaining to observe in action. Nobody is going to get excited by Mario UTilting ten times in a row.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
He was fairly quick still in DK64 and he almost has the highest speed in barrel blast (not that means too much though).

I'd be playing him regardless of his tier though. Obviously I want him to be viable but it will just be great to play him seeing as my friends don't play seriously. So the fun I could have messing around with them playing as K. Rool would be amazing. I think if they did him justice though he could turn out to be technically a very good all round and tricky character.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Even if K. Rool were to be bottom-tier, it wouldn't matter to me. I'd still want him in and I'd still play as him. I'd hope that he'd actually be relatively fast, though, considering his movement speed in his boss fights (he dashes like an Olympic sprinter in DKC1). It'd be cool to have a character as heavy as Bowser but with speed like Sheik's. Maybe they could balance this by giving him low air speed and maneuverability, to reflect his bounding jump properties in DKC1.

I'm against introducing a new persona for him in Smash. His penchant for role-playing is certainly part of his character, but considering he'd likely be pulling moves from his various personas already, I think it's best if his default appearance is the standard "king" design in order to tie all those moves together. If he were to have a single alt, though, I'd actually prefer the boxer persona from DK64 to the Kaptain or Baron, since it'd fit the "fighting" theme of the game. I feel like as a character, K. Rool himself would be most likely to bring that persona into Smash Bros. with him.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I'm a big believer that anyone who is goof enough at a character can win. Doc Mario was supposed to be bottom tier, but i've seen his players win plenty!

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Even if K. Rool were to be bottom-tier, it wouldn't matter to me. I'd still want him in and I'd still play as him. I'd hope that he'd actually be relatively fast, though, considering his movement speed in his boss fights (he dashes like an Olympic sprinter in DKC1). It'd be cool to have a character as heavy as Bowser but with speed like Sheik's. Maybe they could balance this by giving him low air speed and maneuverability, to reflect his bounding jump properties in DKC1.
THISSSSS

While I would prefer for him to be high tier, it's most importantly about the King being in Smash Bros. Hell, Pichu is bottom of the barrel tier and I, for one, am hype as **** that he's back. I'm making it my mission to win at least one local with Pichu.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
< Plays Ganondorf and Shulk

I'm not really concerned about playing high tiers. I just want to play as my favorite characters. Now, I'd definitely be sure to learn how to play them the best I can, but I'm not looking to succeed at a national level. I just want to beat the **** out of Donkey Kong with literally my favorite Nintendo villain, as himself, instead of a ****ing baseball pharaoh for once.

StormC

Smash Hero
Snake was a super heavyweight with an emphasis on projectiles and traps and was one of the best characters in Brawl. I think K. Rool can manage just fine with the right tools.

He could be the worst character in the game and I'd still be happy he's in.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Hell, I try to main Doc in Smash 4, and I can usually eke one set off of even skilled players who don't see it coming.

It's safe to say I have no reservations about playing terrible characters :D

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
My personal newcomer ideology is "advocate first, play later". Little Mac was the only newcomer last game that legitimately got me excited, and yet I never play as him. Even if I never play as K. Rool, the option to do so is what I imagine we're all after.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
My personal newcomer ideology is "advocate first, play later". Little Mac was the only newcomer last game that legitimately got me excited, and yet I never play as him. Even if I never play as K. Rool, the option to do so is what I imagine we're all after.
This is pretty much how I am too. Pac-Man and a character from Animal Crossing were two of my most wanteds, but I rarely use either in Smash 4 unless I’m playing super casual.

I’m dying to see K. Rool in, because I love the character, think he deserves to be in the roster more than any other potential newcomer, and really want to see him make a comeback. I don’t particularly like projectile-based or slow characters, so while I will make some effort to learn him and try to play him as much as possible, I don’t really think he’ll be my main in the long run.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
(In Strong bads voice) "...And THEN we can mod the ever-crappin' CRAP out of him with our Amiibo's until he's the strongest, causing all de'nerdly tournament would-goers to quiver and occasionally meme in fear at de' kings girthly...err....GIRTH-ISHNESS!~"

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Yeah, even if he's terrible I'd still be happy he's in the game. If someone who isn't tip-top-tier was removed, say, Bowser, the """meta""" wouldn't change much but we'd be missing a well-deserving and beloved character. And that's really what it boils down to in my eyes, K. Rool deserves to be in and is well-loved by lots of people so we advocate for his inclusion.
I can't think of any character that people support just because they think they'd be strong in Smash, that's not what gets characters popular

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Say, anyone still think relevancy won't hurt K. Rool's chances of getting in?
I mean, that obviously it isn’t helping. If K. Rool hadn’t completely fallen off the map after DKC3, I honestly think he’d be in already. His lack of appearances is definitely his biggest hurdle, and if he doesn’t make it that’s probably the reason.

That said, I don’t think he’s out of the race because of that. Ultimate, from the looks of it, is a game made for the fans. Ridley alone is proof of this, but also the amount of fanservice oozing from every corner. Whatever newcomers are left, it seems obvious to me they’re going to be selected from the Ballot, and if that’s the case, then K. Rool is still a strong candidate.

...but please, krew, don’t get your hopes too impossibly high. We’re nowhere near “safe” yet.

Last edited:

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
It seems much less likely now with the confirmation of Sakurai finalizing the roster in 2015 and using the ballot results for Ultimate, which is great news since K. Rool is known by Sakurai himself to be highly requested.

However, I still think it's something that needs to be taken into account. King K. Rool hasn't been in a video game in over 10 years even though the Donkey Kong Series is still making games, which really hurts his chances imo. Doesn't make it impossible though, and even against the odds or worse, I'll never back down. I'm still willing to bet that he's coming to us, we just have to wait it out.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
It depends on Sakurai's focus for newcomers with this game. If he is focusing on purely fan favorites like Ridley regardless of relevancy then King K.Rool and heck even Isaac has a good shot to be included. It's possible since this game began development in 2015

Untouch

Smash Master
You know what's the worst?
If sakurai decides to crush everyone's spirits by showing a picture of the mii fighters in the K-Rool costume it won't even be deconfirmation because some other characters already have costumes.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
(In Strong bads voice) "...And THEN we can mod the ever-crappin' CRAP out of him with our Amiibo's until he's the strongest, causing all de'nerdly tournament would-goers to quiver and occasionally meme in fear at de' kings girthly...err....GIRTH-ISHNESS!~"
(In Strong Bad's voice) "Thanks for the idea, MattedWheats! If K. Rool amiibo are as girthish as you think, then they'd be perfect launching material for my afternoon "give Strong Sad a concussion" practice!"

I don't think relevancy is an issue. I'm nearly convinced that the Smash Ballot actually had very little to do with Smash 4, if you're pickimg up what I'm putting down. And if Sakurai used the Ballot as a reference for Ultimate planning, then there's no way he doesn't know just how highly desired K. Rool is internationally.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
In regards to competitive, I think it's quite possible heavy characters might fare better this time around. Definitely nowhere near top tier, but I think the changes to aerials and lags in general are going to mean characters like Ganon, Ike, and Bowser might fare a lot better. But I also want him even if he becomes this game's Sm4sh Jigglypuff or Brawl Ganon.

Relevancy has always been K. Rool's greatest weakness, but... and I realize I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said... his Mii costume in 4, Ridley's inclusion and all veterans returning via fan demand, and the timing of the ballot and this game's development have made it so that this is the first time that K. Rool has truly felt like more than a longshot dream and an actual possible, if not likely, newcomer. But I've been burned enough times to know to never count anything as a guarantee, short of a reveal trailer. And if he doesn't make it, then we'll all continue supporting him for when DLC gets confirmed.

The King has been my most-wanted newcomer ever since Diddy was confirmed for Brawl. Well, him and Banjo, but if we're talking strictly Nintendo I think K. Rool is quite possibly the last truly glaring Nintendo omission in my eyes. Here's hoping.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Even if K.Rool is confirmed tomorrow. I still dread that I may possibly die before the game comes out. That's just how unlucky I am when it comes to thinking I'll finally be able to play as Rool in Smash....

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Even if K.Rool is confirmed tomorrow. I still dread that I may possibly die before the game comes out. That's just how unlucky I am when it comes to thinking I'll finally be able to play as Rool in Smash....
That's hella depressing, dude, are you alright? If you need someone to talk to, I'm not super active but you can message me.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I dunno if it is okay to post this here, but I made a post about K. Rool in the Smash Bros Ultimate thread in the General Discussion thread. Here it is. What do you guys think?

https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion.434391/page-1834#post-22149028

I think you showed me another reason why I don't post in the general thread... some of those replies.... I love how someone actually compared K. Rool to Krystal and Waluigi as "popular irrelevant characters who got ATd" gimme a break.... someone else said K. Rool hasnt been in a game in 19 years.. my goodness...... and again I see people arguing about how well he placed on the ballot because "casual's don't know who he is" causal's didn't even know about the ballot for one and two most causal's who DID know about the ballot would have had scattered votes for whatever characters they liked at the time like Goku, Master Chief, Naruto, etc. There's no way a casual vote for anyone can match up to an entire movement for a single character. It was the hardcore who mostly voted on the ballot anyway. You know how many causal Smash fans I came across who didnt even know what the ballot was?....

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think you showed me another reason why I don't post in the general thread... some of those replies.... I love how someone actually compared K. Rool to Krystal and Waluigi as "popular irrelevant characters who got ATd" gimme a break.... someone else said K. Rool hasnt been in a game in 19 years.. my goodness...... and again I see people arguing about how well he placed on the ballot because "casual's don't know who he is" causal's didn't even know about the ballot for one and two most causal's who DID know about the ballot would have had scattered votes for whatever characters they liked at the time like Goku, Master Chief, Naruto, etc. There's no way a casual vote for anyone can match up to an entire movement for a single character. It was the hardcore who mostly voted on the ballot anyway. You know how many causal Smash fans I came across who didnt even know what the ballot was?....
Hmmmm, not quite the response I expected, but thanks for that. I will keep that in mind. So how do you know mostly hardcores voted on the ballot, anyway?

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Hmmmm, not quite the response I expected, but thanks for that. I will keep that in mind. So how do you know mostly hardcores voted on the ballot, anyway?
Most causal players of Nintendo games don't even know about Nintendo directs, back when the ballot was going on in was the only person at my job talking about it and i worked with a bunch of people who played video game's everyone i worked with played Smash Bros and not a single one of them knew about the ballot until I told them... then I got them all to vote for K. Rool ha ha. I talked to people in Gamestop and even some of the employees didn't know about it... the only people around me who knew about it were my local smash players who played semi competitive or played all of the time at my local college. Those were the people talking about the ballot. Hell I've mentioned the ballot even now to people and they have no clue what I'm talking about. Casual votes on the ballot probably amounted to nothing, because again your talking about un organized random votes vs. An entire community across the globe of fans voting one character in.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Most causal players of Nintendo games don't even know about Nintendo directs, back when the ballot was going on in was the only person at my job talking about it and i worked with a bunch of people who played video game's everyone i worked with played Smash Bros and not a single one of them knew about the ballot until I told them... then I got them all to vote for K. Rool ha ha. I talked to people in Gamestop and even some of the employees didn't know about it... the only people around me who knew about it were my local smash players who played semi competitive or played all of the time at my local college. Those were the people talking about the ballot. Hell I've mentioned the ballot even now to people and they have no clue what I'm talking about. Casual votes on the ballot probably amounted to nothing, because again your talking about un organized random votes vs. An entire community across the globe of fans voting one character in.
Well, if you say so. I believe you, even though it seems to be just what you have experienced. Not a bad thing, but I wonder if anyone else has found out the same thing when it comes to casuals?

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Even if K. Rool isn't recognizable to the casual market, it's not like every character on the roster is. Smash Bros. was obviously created with the ulterior motive of using popular characters like Mario and Pikachu as a gateway to more obscure characters like Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, Shulk, Ness, and the like. People will find interest in the posh crocodile pirate-king with the weird eye and then gasp in amazement when they realize that he's the boss battle they couldn't finish on that Donkey Kong game all those years ago.

StormC

Smash Hero
I doubt many people under 20 were particularly excited about Mega Man in Smash 4.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Well, if you say so. I believe you, even though it seems to be just what you have experienced. Not a bad thing, but I wonder if anyone else has found out the same thing when it comes to casuals?
Sure my experience doesn't represent the entirety of everyone but when I'm talking to dozens of people per day in my daily routine and maybe 5 of them know what I'm talking about despite a majority of them having a casual interest in Smash I'd like to think that's pretty telling of something..

And again... a point I'm trying to make is that you could have had a million casuals voting on the ballot, maybe 5,000 voted for Master Chief, 6,000 voted for Goku, 3,000 voted for Marcus Pheonix. Meanwhile... on our side we had hundreds of people voting for K. Rool and we got votes from our friends family etc. Every fan poll came back with K. Rool on top or in the top 3 usually behind a Vet that people wanted back. We campaigned, we got extra votes from outsider's and that was just us here on this forum. This isn't to mention others on Reddit, 4Chan, Etc. Who also wanted K. Rool in. Then to find out Japan was campaigning just as hard as us? We were ogranized and came together and worked hard for votes that will be reflected more than just a bunch causal's voting willy nilly for any character..

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sure my experience doesn't represent the entirety of everyone but when I'm talking to dozens of people per day in my daily routine and maybe 5 of them know what I'm talking about despite a majority of them having a casual interest in Smash I'd like to think that's pretty telling of something..

And again... a point I'm trying to make is that you could have had a million casuals voting on the ballot, maybe 5,000 voted for Master Chief, 6,000 voted for Goku, 3,000 voted for Marcus Pheonix. Meanwhile... on our side we had handed's of people voting for K. Rool and we got votes from our friends family etc. Every fan poll came back with K. Rool on top or in the top 3 usually behind a Vet that people wanted back. We campaigned, we got extra votes from outsider's and that was just us here on this forum. This isn't to mention others on Reddit, 4Chan, Etc. Who also wanted K. Rool in. Then to find out Japan was campaigning just as hard as us? We were ogranized and came together and worked hard for votes that will be reflected more than just a bunch causal's voting willy nilly for any character..
Ah, good points. I can imagine that some casuals voted for non video game characters like Shrek and Goku, and maybe some non-Nintendo first party characters like any Sony Playstation character. I don't think the casuals took the ballot as seriously as hardcore fans did anyways, did they not? That said, with all the support K. Rool has gotten all over the web, I can see he does have a good chance of making it in. I am not too sure myself, but hey, at least his support is there. I doubt the casuals knew the rules on who could be voted for anyway. I wonder how Sakurai reacted to all the Shrek, Goku and non-video game character votes, anyways?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
K. Rool not being in at this point is bizarre. You can't even use the "he's unpopular in Japan" excuse like people used for Ridley for the past 10 years, K. Rool is topping the charts.

I'm really hoping that the costumes they put in at the end of Smash 4 were hints for future characters. You gotta think that the ballot was for Ultimate, not 4.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
So I'll just go ahead and make a K Rool pro/con list from what I've seen and understood.

Pros:
-A major Donkey Kong character and the series' original villain.
-Comes from a series that lacks representation in Smash, getting almost nothing new in 10 years.
-Another super heavy candidate, a rather barren character niche.
-The right canonical moves to form a good set of moves, and the right personality to improvise some fresh ones.
-One of the most highly demanded characters in the West as well as Japan. After Ridley and maybe Wolf, he basically was uncontested in demand.
-Is not hindered by programming difficulties or potential balance issues a la Ice Climbers, Ridley or Olimar.
-Placed well in the Smash 4 ballot. Very well, in fact.
-Is coming into a game seemingly catered more to the fan's requests than ever before.
-A good contrast to DK and the other villains in Smash. Could easily fit into event matches or a story mode of some kind.
-Appeared as a mii costume, indicating that Sakurai is aware of K Rools popularity at least to an extent.

Cons:
-Neglected by the Donkey Kong series for around a decade, meaning he's an old fashioned pick whose not as fresh as other hot button newcomers.
-A bit discredited in Smash itself, not getting in during the past two games despite being more in the spotlight and being a sensible pick.
-Faces competition from Dixie Kong for a DK newcomer, who is more recent in appearances within DK and is also an easier choice in terms of resources.
-Is also in a Smash game with a smaller number of newcomers than previous games, meaning competition is more meaningful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom