• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Both Dixie Kong and K. Rool deserve to be in Smash Bros. I feel like DKC doesn't get enough love and their inclusion would definitely make me happy.

On the topic of reveals, the game comes out later this year and E3 is supposed to focus on Smash. It would make sense to have a lot of reveals at that time. It wouldn't surprise me if they did go the Brawl route and did a bunch of reveals right there and then.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Umm...ummmm...UMMMM

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511/901488642

Can anyone find out if Emily Rogers ever hinted at K. Rool being in Smash? I vaguely ever remember something like this. This is the same girl that's hinting at Ridley. With this new leak by a supposed credible leaker that supposedly confirmed Ridley...and if Emily does actually have insider info...

could...

could this mean...

he will have his finest hour??????????????????????
Ive never seen a leak yet that even mentions K. Rool. Trust me I've looked.... Emily Rodgers has never come close to mentioning him.. the only thing I've ever seen is a few Ridley mentions in leaks.. which is nothing new... Ridley leak's were abundant during Smash 4 too....

Edit: I stand corrected apparently there was a "leak" on April first that mentioned K. Rool but considering the day of the leak's posting and the fact that Travis Touchdown and a fatal frame character is included in think it's safe to say that leak is as fake as fake can be..... there's a Gamefaqs post that compiled some leaks https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76579834

Funnily enough the fake K. Rool leak that was made on this very board is on there ha ha ha ha ha

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Umm...ummmm...UMMMM

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511/901488642

Can anyone find out if Emily Rogers ever hinted at K. Rool being in Smash? I vaguely ever remember something like this. This is the same girl that's hinting at Ridley. With this new leak by a supposed credible leaker that supposedly confirmed Ridley...and if Emily does actually have insider info...

could...

could this mean...

he will have his finest hour??????????????????????
I really don't want Ridley in Smash. he could be fun to play as, but it'd be so weird seeing this enormous kaiju-like character only a few feet taller than Pikachu. that being said, I'd be happy to put up with him if it meant K. Rool.

also, Emily Rogers isn't trustworthy, like at all. remember this?

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I'm hyped for this yet. Mainly as it's only really 2-3 weeks away so I think I can wait but the rumours and leaks begin.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I really don't want Ridley in Smash. he could be fun to play as, but it'd be so weird seeing this enormous kaiju-like character only a few feet taller than Pikachu. that being said, I'd be happy to put up with him if it meant K. Rool.

also, Emily Rogers isn't trustworthy, like at all. remember this?
I mean sort of but she has been right before. I'd say to just keep what she says in mind but don't take it as 100% fact.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Hello my dad is Microsoft and he works on Sony and he confirmed that King K. Rool will be in the next Portal game.
But this is super secret leak info so please after you read this please erase your memory.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Ive never seen a leak yet that even mentions K. Rool. Trust me I've looked.... Emily Rodgers has never come close to mentioning him.. the only thing I've ever seen is a few Ridley mentions in leaks.. which is nothing new... Ridley leak's were abundant during Smash 4 too....

Edit: I stand corrected apparently there was a "leak" on April first that mentioned K. Rool but considering the day of the leak's posting and the fact that Travis Touchdown and a fatal frame character is included in think it's safe to say that leak is as fake as fake can be..... there's a Gamefaqs post that compiled some leaks https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76579834

Funnily enough the fake K. Rool leak that was made on this very board is on there ha ha ha ha ha
Yeah, das me. Although, Travis isn't unlikely. His creator is very open and was desperately pushing for his character to be in Smash.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
i prefer when K.ROOL is not in leakS...don't know why but i think his chance is better that way :p

the less your name is on leak, THE better its real!

#K.ROOL FOR REAL

Last edited:

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I just signed up to talk about my favorite Nintendo character and of course most wanted in Smash: K.Rool !!!

I've been wanting him since Brawl, and completely gave up on him since then.
I did not care of Smash Wii U AT ALL, I found the roster full of pretty boys ans girls from FE or XB that look all the same lame, and did not like the DLC 3rd parties like Bayonnetta, Ryu or Cloud that had nothing to to in the game imo.

But for the first time, I think K.Rool has a chance.
His popularity has never been so high despite his absence in games.
I feel Sakurai alwready put all the fan favorites that were before him: Mellee had Bowser and Mewtwo, Brawl had Wario and Ike, SBB Wii U had Mega Man, Pac Man and 3rd party like Bayonnetta,Cloud and Ryu, and cut favorites were back.
K.Rool is just on top now, he can't be ignored anymore, Also I'm sure he was in the top 5 in the ballot, I even believe he was 1st.

I'm being obsessed with him now, if he does not make it YET AGAIN, that's going to destroy me in the inside and I won't buy this Smash iteration again...
I''m looking forward for E3, but also with anxiety.
They need to show him there, and not wait later if he's in, they need to stop torturing K.rool fans...

Last edited:

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Hi everyone,
I just signed up to talk about my favorite Nintendo character and of course most wanted in Smash: K.Rool !!!

I did not care of Smash Wii U AT ALL, I found the roster full of pretty boys girls from FE or XB that look all the same lame, and did not like the DLC 3rd parties like Bayonnetta, Ryu or Cloud that had nothing to to in the game imo.

I feel Sakurai alwready put all the fan favorites that were before him: Mellee had Bowser and Mewtwo, Brawl had Wario and Ike, SBB Wii U had Mega Man, Pac Man and 3rd partie slike Bayonnetta,Cloud and Ryu, and cut favorites were back.
K.Rool is just on top now, he can't be ignored anymore, Also I'm sure he was in the top 5 in the ballot, I even believe he was 1st.

I'm being obsessed with him now, if he does not make it YET AGAIN, that's going to destroy me in the inside and I won't buy this Smash iteration again...
They need to show him there, and not wait later if he's in, they need to stop torturing K.rool fans...
*insert one of us link here*

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Hi everyone,

I did not care of Smash Wii U AT ALL, I found the roster full of pretty boys girls from FE or XB that look all the same lame, and did not like the DLC 3rd parties like Bayonnetta, Ryu or Cloud that had nothing to to in the game imo.

I feel Sakurai alwready put all the fan favorites that were before him: Mellee had Bowser and Mewtwo, Brawl had Wario and Ike, SBB Wii U had Mega Man, Pac Man and 3rd partie slike Bayonnetta,Cloud and Ryu, and cut favorites were back.

*insert one of us link here*
Gotchu.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hi everyone,

Glad to see another shipmate for the suppor thread

And this is his best chance by far

Last edited:

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I too did not really like the new ennemies in the latest DK games.
They were just not as good as the Kremlings.
And I too was hoping for a third one with their return.

But I don't think this is crucial for K.Rool inclusion.
It would help a lot, but this is not mandatory.
The guy is probably the most popular Nintendo character for the newcomers slots.
He could still be added for the retro nostalgia side too.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I too did not really like the new ennemies in the latest DK games.
They were just not as good as the Kremlings.
And I too was hoping for a third one with their return.

But I don't think this is crucial for K.Rool inclusion.
It would help a lot, but this is not mandatory.
The guy is probably the most popular Nintendo character for the newcomers slots.
He could still be added for the retro nostalgia side too.
If I'm being honest, I don't like the Tiki's or the Snowmads all the much either. I'm probably gonna get some flack for this, but they're both boring to me. The Snowmads were more interesting, but I don't think I'll bother remembering them after too long. I get that Retro was trying to be more original so that they could move on from the Kremlings (mostly because of Miyamoto and Tanabe) and I think they did the best with what they tried to work with, but I can't seem to like them. That's just me though.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet so I can't say, but I did not really like the Tikis either.
Nor did I like the other animals ennemies: moles and chicken uhhh ><
And what is that new pig friend for the checkpoints ?
I really like Returns, but Retro did not nail with the ennemies, that was my only grip with the game, and that made me miss the krems even more.

I don't understand..
According to the link, the rumor of a new Starfox race game made by Retro is getting more and more confirmations everywhere.
If it's true, Retro is not working on a 3rd DK game, so our dream of a final game with the return of the krems, and finally giving K.rool his relevance back is gone.
I really don't know if I want that new Star Fox game.
I don't like racing games, unless you can attack ennemies and use items, like in Mario Kart.
If it is just a race game where shooting and fighting is only gimmick, I'll probably pass.

The rumors also says Retro have been working an another game with a chaotic development before that, and it ended up being cancelled.
I wonder what it was...

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the return of the Kremlings depend more on whether Miyamoto and Tanabe are involved or not. If they're not then it's likely they'll make a comeback. I feel like Retro was getting to the point where they were allowed to use any assets from the series, but that's just speculation on my part. It would, however, explain why they've recently followed K. Rool related pages on Twitter. If we're lucky then that could be what their next project (after Star Fox) could be about. We can only hope with their activity on Twitter and those signs in Odyssey that K. Rool will come back in a future title.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I don't understand..

The article says according to Rumors Retro may be putting non Star Fox characters in the game as racers (such as Donkey Kong) which potentially means we could see some DK characters in this Star Fox Grand Prix game.. Retro knowing how popular and requested K. Rool has been could throw us a bone and toss him in... heck they could even give him a space perona to match.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I would love that to happen. But that ain't ever happening

K. Rool's best best in Smash Bros Switch for now.

I find it kind of interesting how Smash Bros, particularly the campaign for K. Rool and to a lesser extent Dixie has revived the DK fanbase from its slumber in a way DKC Returns couldn't. Maybe because we're focusing on characters in a way DKC Returns refused to do or even tried to do away with, the Smash Bros push has brought together people to celebrate the franchise in a way that was hard to do with DKCR. DKCR in some ways pretended there was barely a franchise before it when it comes to the characters, even if it was super faithful and thoughtful about expanding on the gameplay.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
If K.Rool is in, they need to reveal him at E3, the hype would be so huge.
I don't know any other 1st party Nintendo Newcomer that would be more wanted than him, he must be first on their radar.

If K.Rool is not in the game after all this time, I'm going to be sooo angry.
And we will have to learn the lesson: it means we are still not loud enough.
We will need to make huge petition for the croc.
Remember what happen with netherrealm studio, and Tremor fans' petition.
https://www.change.org/p/netherrealm-studios-make-tremor-a-playable-kombatant-in-mortal-kombat-x
It got more than 5000 supports, the devs were impressed, and made him DLC !
Of course he might have been secretly planned all this time anyway, and the devs just conveniently said they introduced him in the game to please those fans because they are cool guys.
But it is worth the try !
I'm sure K.Rool is more popular and 'd get much more support.
I'm not the best personn to make such a thing, because we need a very attractive sexy page, with good arguments, artworks, gameplay ideas, and videos of the modded K.Rool (with the aggreement of the autor, he showed even a Bowser clone would work, I'd prefer a unique character, but I'd be even Ok with that. But that videos showed he would fit, and thet he's not too big xd).
If no one does that petition I will.
I know it is too soon, but we need to think about it.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If K.Rool is in, they need to reveal him at E3, the hype would be so huge.
I don't know any other 1st party Nintendo Newcomer that would be more wanted than him, he must be first on their radar.

If K.Rool is not in the game after all this time, I'm going to be sooo angry.
And we will have to learn the lesson: it means we are still not loud enough.
We will need to make huge petition for the croc.
Remember what happen with netherrealm studio, and Tremor fans' petition.
https://www.change.org/p/netherrealm-studios-make-tremor-a-playable-kombatant-in-mortal-kombat-x
It got more than 5000 supports, the devs were impressed, and made him DLC !
Of course he might have been secretly planned all this time anyway, and the devs just conveniently said they introduced him in the game to please those fans because they are cool guys.
But it is worth the try !
I'm sure K.Rool is more popular and 'd get much more support.
I'm not the best personn to make such a thing, because we need a very attractive sexy page, with good arguments, artworks, gameplay ideas, and videos of the modded K.Rool (with the aggreement of the autor, he showed even a Bowser clone would work, I'd prefer a unique character, but I'd be even Ok with that. But that videos showed he would fit, and thet he's not too big xd).
If no one does that petition I will.
I know it is too soon, but we need to think about it.
Ridley is the top 1st party but we all know what Sakurai thinks of him

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
No ridley is not what is used to be in terms of popularity, K.Rool is more now.
And he does not have his problem = Too big ><

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet so I can't say, but I did not really like the Tikis either.
I really like Returns, but Retro did not nail with the ennemies, that was my only grip with the game, and that made me miss the krems even more.

According to the link, the rumor of a new Starfox race game made by Retro is getting more and more confirmations everywhere.
If it's true, Retro is not working on a 3rd DK game, so our dream of a final game with the return of the krems, and finally giving K.rool his relevance back is gone.
I don't like racing games, unless you can attack ennemies and use items, like in Mario Kart.
If it is just a race game where shooting and fighting is only gimmick, I'll probably pass.

The rumors also says Retro have been working an another game with a chaotic development before that, and it ended up being cancelled.
I wonder what it was...
well correct me if im wrong but ithink the kerms and the costume of king k rool as in smash bros 4 and from the ballot voting i think the king is still in pretty good shape

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I would love that to happen. But that ain't ever happening

K. Rool's best best in Smash Bros Switch for now.

I find it kind of interesting how Smash Bros, particularly the campaign for K. Rool and to a lesser extent Dixie has revived the DK fanbase from its slumber in a way DKC Returns couldn't. Maybe because we're focusing on characters in a way DKC Returns refused to do or even tried to do away with, the Smash Bros push has brought together people to celebrate the franchise in a way that was hard to do with DKCR. DKCR in some ways pretended there was barely a franchise before it when it comes to the characters, even if it was super faithful and thoughtful about expanding on the gameplay.
Ultimately I'm really just hoping the demand will get K. Rool back in the DKC games. Nintendo finally seems to be listening to its fans. So we might finally get another DKC, or better DK64 like game with K. Rool in it. I will still be furious if he is not in Smash Bros. but if he is not at least we may see him return to the franchise. A DK game without K. Rool is like a Mario game without Bowser.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
well correct me if im wrong but ithink the kerms and the costume of king k rool as in smash bros 4 and from the ballot voting i think the king is still in pretty good shape
In response to my posting of the article I was saying there's hope for K. Rool to be in that Star fox Racing game due to them using DK characters according to that rumor.. I think K. Rool making into Smaah is entirely different situation.. at this point i think he has a better shot at a roster spot in Smash than anything else due to fan demand alone.

Ridley is the top 1st party but we all know what Sakurai thinks of him
I disagree with this notion. Ridley is top in the states but K.Rool is tied with him here in the states and in Japan he's wanted far more than Ridley so overall K. Rool is the most wanted considering east and west.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I wonder what it was...
Well that's not exactly what the rumor was

The rumor is in that star fox game (if happening) characters are crossing over for that racing game and the king is a high speculation

Last edited:

Ganon K. Roolenstein

Smash Cadet
Even though K. Rool is my most wanted newcomer, I've honestly had a hard time coming up with ways to make him unique in Smash. When Sakurai adds a new character, he thinks of what sets them a part from the other characters, and what new stuff they can bring to the table. My main concern was that K. Rool would be too similar the existing heavyweights, like Bowser. However, I think I've found a "theme" for him that another character doesn't already have:

"Boss Character"

None of the villains currently in Smash really play like they do in their boss fights. K. Rool would mainly use attacks from his boss fights from DKC 1-3 and 64. He could also thrust his belly to attack for a move or two, which no character currently in Smash does. And since his moveset would be mainly based on older games, he would use his old design. He would also be refereed to as a fan-favorite, old school character (Note: his Mii costume in Smash 4 refereed to him as a "retro" character).

Honestly, I think K. Rool is more likely now more than any Smash game before, and that's mainly due to the ballot. We know he did well. The Mii costume is evident of that. To add to this, the Mii Costume was added around the time Bayonetta would've started development, a character who was supposedly chosen from the ballot. If the Mii costume isn't a sign that he did well in the ballot, then tell me this: why did he receive a Mii costume to begin with? Why does the Mii costume not use assets from K. Rool's trophy already in the game? Why does it use his old design that mixes elements from his new design? It makes no sense. I also find it odd how in the interview Sakurai did about Mii costumes, the interview never once brings up K. Rool, yet they bring up Geno. Speaking of which, here's what Sakurai had to say about Geno:

"That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume."

This quote applies to K. Rool exactly.

Also, the amount of "new" characters to add for each game gets smaller and smaller. There are only 4 new notable characters people will think will get in Smash 5 right now: Captain Toad, Rex, Spring Man, and a new Pokemon rep. And people are even doubting Rex and Spring Man will get in due to the project plan. So, Sakurai may have to dig a bit deeper for newcomers to add this time around. The Japanese Smash ballot said that it would be used for future titles (Smash 5), so he may have to rely on that a bit. This makes K. Rool's chances very high IMO.

If I were to rate his chances of getting in, I'd give him a 70%. Again, this is mainly due to the ballot and his suspicious Mii costume. I suspect there will be about 8 newcomers and most (if not all) characters from Smash 4 will return. So I'd be surprised and disappointed if he doesn't get in.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Even though K. Rool is my most wanted newcomer, I've honestly had a hard time coming up with ways to make him unique in Smash. When Sakurai adds a new character, he thinks of what sets them a part from the other characters, and what new stuff they can bring to the table. My main concern was that K. Rool would be too similar the existing heavyweights, like Bowser. However, I think I've found a "theme" for him that another character doesn't already have:

"Boss Character"

None of the villains currently in Smash really play like they do in their boss fights. K. Rool would mainly use attacks from his boss fights from DKC 1-3 and 64. He could also thrust his belly to attack for a move or two, which no character currently in Smash does. And since his moveset would be mainly based on older games, he would use his old design. He would also be refereed to as a fan-favorite, old school character (Note: his Mii costume in Smash 4 refereed to him as a "retro" character).

Honestly, I think K. Rool is more likely now more than any Smash game before, and that's mainly due to the ballot. We know he did well. The Mii costume is evident of that. To add to this, the Mii Costume was added around the time Bayonetta would've started development, a character who was supposedly chosen from the ballot. If the Mii costume isn't a sign that he did well in the ballot, then tell me this: why did he receive a Mii costume to begin with? Why does the Mii costume not use assets from K. Rool's trophy already in the game? Why does it use his old design that mixes elements with his new design? It makes no sense. I also find it odd how in the interview Sakurai did about Mii costumes, the interview never once brings up K. Rool, yet they bring up Geno. Speaking of which, here's what Sakurai had to say about Geno:

"That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume."

This applies to K. Rool exactly.

Also, the amount of "new" characters to add for each game gets smaller and smaller. There are only 4 new notable characters people will think will get in Smash 5 right now: Captain Toad, Rex, Spring Man, and a new Pokemon rep. And people are even doubting Rex and Spring Man will get in due to the project plan. So, Sakurai may have to dig a bit deeper for newcomers to add this time around. The Japanese Smash ballot said that it would be used for future titles (Smash 5), so he may have to rely on that a bit. This makes K. Rool's chances very high IMO.

If I were to rate his chances of getting in, I'd give him a 70%. Again, this is mainly due to the ballot and his suspicious Mii costume. I suspect there will be about 8 newcomers and most (if not all) characters from Smash 4 will return. So I'd be surprised and disappointed if he doesn't get in.
The mii gunner actually plays somewhat how Geno would. The mii brawler plays NOTHING like how King K. Rool would.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
YEP! I feel in some ways that people , including in this thread, understate just how stunning K. Rool's mii costume was. A living, breathing series with two new entries, one released just a year before the DLC, is represented by an ancient crocodile whose last big game was before Y2K.

No Dixie, No Cranky, No Funky, nothing from Tropical Freeze that was released 1 year ago before the DLC. Nothing that many people to this day suggest is more "obvious" to include. Instead, what does the Donkey Kong series get as DLC? Just one thing. The first appearance in nearly a decade of a googly eyed CGI crocodile whose zenith in relevance was when NSYNC was still a thing. A character that makes no appearance in Retro's games at all; not even a reference.

That's amazing. That's enough in my mind to solidify that K. Rool killed it in the ballot. He definitely, importantly, destroyed Dixie and Cranky. And by the way I would love to have Dixie and to a lesser extent Cranky. But K. Rool needed something in his corner and the fans gave it to him.

He's not assured but I think he has a way better chance than some people are giving him credit for. This is not Smash 4 anymore. K. rool's popularity has not been always at this height, it has increased, and importantly, it increased during the ballot.
We have near-certain proof that K. Rool is on Sakurai's radar thanks to the mii costume. We have proof Sakurai heard us.

He will surely, based on his past picks, consider Dixie given Tropical Freeze. But I think what we have achieved is that K. Rool has cast a huge shadow on any other potential DK newcomer. The hope is that as he reaches for Dixie he seriously wonders what the reaction would be from the overwhelming amount of people that prefer him. My hope is that leads him to picking both.

We're sitting prettier than a lot of other fanbases to be honest. And I don't know if that fact has really been appreciated.

Also, here's a nice pic I saw on twitter. You probably already saw it if you follow the Kremling Kampaigner since they RT'd it. But for any of you Cranky or Wrinkly Kongs who don't use social media:

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
a proof that i LOOOOOVE K.ROOL and DK.

this is my hype list for smash

the more the character got a smash logo , the more im hype for to be in smash 5 :)

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, given Geno's lack of recent appearance, what were your reaction back then when Sakurai confirmed that he wanted Geno in Smash whilst never once mentioning his lack of recent appearance.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
K.Rool is N°1 worldwide wanted 1st newcomer, and more important, N°1 in Japan.
In the end the only question is: are Sakurai and his team willing to put a character in their game only based on his popuarity and legacy ?

I'm afraid newer characters from Arms, Nintendo Labs and so on, are going to take slots for marketing reasons instead of classic ones that should have been in the game for a looong time like K.Rool, Dixie, Waluigi, Krystal that fans really want.

( As a side note I found really not fair to put 3rd party characters in competition with 1st party ones in the ballot.
of course K.Rool would not stand a chance against Bayonetta, Cloud or Ryu, that's silly...
But he still did well even against them).

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
YEP! I feel in some ways that people , including in this thread, understate just how stunning K. Rool's mii costume was. A living, breathing series with two new entries, one released just a year before the DLC, is represented by an ancient crocodile whose last big game was before Y2K.

No Dixie, No Cranky, No Funky, nothing from Tropical Freeze that was released 1 year ago before the DLC. Nothing that many people to this day suggest is more "obvious" to include. Instead, what does the Donkey Kong series get as DLC? Just one thing. The first appearance in nearly a decade of a googly eyed CGI crocodile whose zenith in relevance was when NSYNC was still a thing. A character that makes no appearance in Retro's games at all; not even a reference.

That's amazing. That's enough in my mind to solidify that K. Rool killed it in the ballot. He definitely, importantly, destroyed Dixie and Cranky. And by the way I would love to have Dixie and to a lesser extent Cranky. But K. Rool needed something in his corner and the fans gave it to him.

He's not assured but I think he has a way better chance than some people are giving him credit for. This is not Smash 4 anymore. K. rool's popularity has not been always at this height, it has increased, and importantly, it increased during the ballot.
We have near-certain proof that K. Rool is on Sakurai's radar thanks to the mii costume. We have proof Sakurai heard us.

He will surely, based on his past picks, consider Dixie given Tropical Freeze. But I think what we have achieved is that K. Rool has cast a huge shadow on any other potential DK newcomer. The hope is that as he reaches for Dixie he seriously wonders what the reaction would be from the overwhelming amount of people that prefer him. My hope is that leads him to picking both.

We're sitting prettier than a lot of other fanbases to be honest. And I don't know if that fact has really been appreciated.

Also, here's a nice pic I saw on twitter. You probably already saw it if you follow the Kremling Kampaigner since they RT'd it. But for any of you Cranky or Wrinkly Kongs who don't use social media:

But I was told nothing has changed for K. Rool since the fans called him a shoo-in for Smash 4. Nothing whatsoever.

Serious answer: I think there's been so much talk of "those crazy K. Rool fans" that people discard what we know to be valid points about the costume. It -is- an outlier in it being a new model for a first party character and it -is- weird as hell that an ongoing series' only costume representation is its inactive villain. It by no means guarantees him; in all honesty I think it's a coin toss. But people are used to seeing K. Rool fans flip out about Kremlings in Smash Run, or Sakurai choosing a Miiverse photo with Rool in it as a contest winner, and so they work backward from the premise of us being wrong to argue that in all likelihood we'll be wrong again..."It's just a costume! You must think (insert other costume here) is likely too!" (People fixate way too much on whether they're right or wrong with their Smash predictions and lose sight of just having fun and shooting the s*** as was the case in the Brawl era).

The timeline for K. Rool support isn't something non-fans really pay attention to or care about, so they think it hasn't changed just because they've seen his name tossed around as a candidate dating back to Diddy's 2007 reveal. The kicker is, Smash 4 seemed to pull mostly from a Brawl poll that Sonic supposedly won but that no one on the internet recalls outside of it existing, and maybe a cursory glance at some fan forums pre-2012 for people like Little Mac (where K. Rool was mentioned but without noticeably more frequency than several others). Now, there's a ballot where the costume gives demonstrable proof that he at least did well enough to get noticed. That's the new landscape we have for Smash Switch, and because the one newcomer we know about was supremely obvious anyway, we don't know how that will ultimately look.

At the very least, the ballot won't -hurt- K. Rool.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
All the "irrelevancy" talk would end up being ironic if, contrary to shaky rumours, Retro was actually working on a new Donkey Kong game with the return of the Kremlings, having planned it since 2015.

Ganon K. Roolenstein

Smash Cadet

Preach!

Dixie is possible, but the problem I have is, what would she offer to Smash? Like I said, Sakurai looks for characters that bring something new to the table. Dixie would attack with her hair, obviously, but would that be all of her attacks or what? She also has pretty much the same body type as Diddy. She would probably be a semi-clone. I'm not even sure if Sakurai is interested in adding those types of characters anymore, as we didn't get any newcomer semi-clones in Smash 4. But still, I hope she gets in just for the sake of having her. I would prefer if K. Rool got in first though.

You know, given Geno's lack of recent appearance, what were your reaction back then when Sakurai confirmed that he wanted Geno in Smash whilst never once mentioning his lack of recent appearance.
I was surprised. Geno is an irrelevant third-party character who appeared in a one-off Mario RPG game in 1996. He doesn't even sound like the type of character that would be on Sakurai's radar, but somehow he is. Despite his irrelevancy, Geno has a lot of fan demand and would be very unique in Smash. Sakurai has acknowledged both of those factors, and hasn't brought up his irrelevancy or possible copyright issues. So I honestly think he has a small shot this time around.

Also, Sakurai mentions how popular Geno is. But K. Rool is way more popular than Geno, especially these days. And K. Rool didn't have his only appearance in a spin-off game. No, he's the main villain of the DK series. So if Sakurai thinks that highly of Geno, he must think even higher of K. Rool. Fun fact: Sakurai prefers to play as the heavyweight characters in Smash.

K.Rool is N°1 worldwide wanted 1st newcomer, and more important, N°1 in Japan.
In the end the only question is: are Sakurai and his team willing to put a character in their game only based on his popuarity and legacy ?
Good question. If they're gonna rely on the ballot more this time around and include a Nintendo character from it, then I'd say yes.

I'm afraid newer characters from Arms, Nintendo Labs and so on, are going to take slots for marketing reasons instead of classic ones that should have been in the game for a looong time like K.Rool, Dixie, Waluigi, Krystal that fans really want.
Lol, I doubt Spring Man was even on the project plan, especially a Nintendo Labo character. In January 2016, Sakurai said he would take a "breather" after DLC was finished, and that his next project (Smash 5) had already been decided. To me, that implies he started working on the project plan for the game as early as April. However, he wasn't confirmed working in the studio until November 2016. So the project plan could've started as late as October. But I don't think this "breather" he took lasted that long. I say he started working on the project plan sometime in Spring. So I think that rules an ARMS character out of the question. Also, it's a bit risky adding a new character from a new IP that (at the time) has yet proven itself. Like, what if ARMS failed miserably and nobody liked it? Then Sakurai would've wasted his time adding the character. An ARMS character is expected by a lot of people, but I don't think one's getting in the game. I also think Rex has a chance of not appearing too. They could get in as DLC though.

(As a side note I found really not fair to put 3rd party characters in competition with 1st party ones in the ballot.
of course K.Rool would not stand a chance against Bayonetta, Cloud or Ryu, that's silly...
But he still did well even against them).
I agree! I seriously thought we were also gonna get a Nintendo from the ballot as Smash 4 DLC. I wasn't expecting just a third-party character, let alone Bayonetta being that character. But now I think it makes since. Again, the Japanese website for the Smash ballot said it would be used for Smash 5. It'd be stupid not to use it for Smash 5. It'd be a complete waste of data if they didn't. So this time I think they'll choose a Nintendo character from it, and that character would obviously be K. Rool. And who knows, maybe Sakurai wanted to add K. Rool as Smash 4 DLC, but decided to add him in Smash 5 instead, and that's why we got the Mii costume.

Also, here's a idea: Most of the base game newcomers can be highly requested characters (K. Rool, Geno, Ridley, etc.), while DLC can be the more newer characters (Rex and Spring Man). It honestly sounds like a good business plan.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
You guys are giving me some hope, looking at all those K.Rool pessimists and non believers is depressing...
I'll never give up, even if he's no in Switch.
That will just make me angrier and louder.
But I sure hope he is announced at E3.

It also seems the development time for smash switch was shorter.
Maybe it will be just a Smash 4.5 and we won't get as many characters as we think.
In that case, if I were the devs, I would just add all the fans favorites that could not make the cut, and were highlighted by the Ballot.

I really agree with Dixie.
While she is my 2nd most wanted, I can't figure out what moves she could have, except some attack with her hairs.
In that regard she seems harder to make than K.Rool.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
You guys are giving me some hope, looking at all those K.Rool pessimists and non believers is depressing...
I'll never give up, even if he's no in Switch.
That will just make me angrier and louder.
But I sure hope he is announced at E3.

It also seems the development time for smash switch was shorter.
Maybe it will be just a Smash 4.5 and we won't get as many characters as we think.
In that case, if I were the devs, I would just add all the fans favorites that could not make the cut, and were highlighted by the Ballot.

I really agree with Dixie.
While she is my 2nd most wanted, I can't figure out what moves she could have, except some attack with her hairs.
In that regard she seems harder to make than K.Rool.
well, I was a believer pre Smash 4. But then the mii costume happened, and hope wasn't lost, but the situation looked way worse than before. But also somewhat better given the exposure it brought on. Now with smash switch, K.rool is 3 years older, I'm a statue, it could happen for K. Rool, it could not, either way we know he'll get shafted over an anime swordfighter/videogame icon/or recent Nintendo breath of fresh air (shulk). Hope. Is the word these days.

Last edited:

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Yes I understand.
I was a big supporter for him pre Brawl.
Then I completely gave up and did not care when Smash 4 Wii U came, even witht he DLC vote thing.

Hope is back now because I realized all the most wanted newcomers before him were alwready in the game, he is now next on the list, it's his turn.
Maybe you'll get your hope back for Smash 6 while I'll be the statue again
K.Rool will then probably be old enough to be the retro addition, like Ice Climbers, ROB and Duck Hunt were....

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
At this point I just don't see why K. Rool wouldn't be added... I mean clearly he's popular. Fans want him.... he's not some lost and forgotten relic from ages past like King Wart (I love Wart btw) or Tatanga.. and even that didnt stop Pit, Duck Hunt Dog, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B.

He has a huge move pool to choose from, he'd be a heavy which there isn't many of them in Smash to begin with... he's unique in personality and also in design in terms of his franchise as he's not another ape.. he's a villain, again some thing Smash lacks. There isn't a really good reason for him not to show up.....

Sakurai wanted Geno but clearly the licencing got in the way I'm sure..

Sakurai said he *could* add Ridley if he really wanted to dedictate the effort and time but doesn't because of the large amount of time it'd take according to him.

Really I don't think there's many character's Sakurai wouldn't necessarily want to add... at least when it comes to major character's..

Top Bottom