• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Just beat Lord Fredrik in DKCTF Switch. There's still some stuff left to do (Time Trial Fredrik, the last temple and whatever getting all the relics gets you) but that's stuff for another day.

What a fantastic game. Definite contender for one of the best platformers I've ever played, and to think - if it hadn't been ported I probably never would have!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Well, sad news you guys for DK fans. Retro may be moving on from DK according to rumors picked up by Eurogamer
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing Retro the best. We are happy they revived DKC and gave us two great games, with the most recent one being more than exceptional. I wish it was DK racing or a 3D DK game or something else that is DK related but I'm sure it will be a great quality game. They are master class talents. Hope we can see them working on DK again soon.

Maybe DK might be developed by one of Nintendo's JP studios? With K. Rool avenue and all the DKC references in mario odyssey, perhaps that prospect isn't as troubling as it used to be.

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Maybe its just me but I think this could actually end up being good news? I don't think retro was ever going to give us K. Rool especially if they are leaving it at 2 games and not the expected or traditional trilogy.

A new developer and fresh mindset is far more likely to give us what we actually want rather than just very closely replicating and emulating it. Seems weird to update DK's model for no reason and then abandon the series, plus all the recent acknowledgement DK as a whole has been getting in my mind would suggest that bigger and new things are on the way in the future?

culumon

Smash Apprentice
Enough reputable sources have come out of the woodwork to where I'm pretty damn sure this game's the real deal. As a Star Fox fan, a Donkey Kong fan and an F-Zero fan, I'm currently filled with... mixed feelings. I'm super glad Star Fox is getting a second shot at life after Zero tanked, a racing game is a great fit for a spin-off, and obviously all of Retro Studios' output has been stellar, so any new game of theirs will be exciting. I've been wanting their take on a Star Fox game for years, and while this isn't the form I expected or initially wanted, I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

But... firstly, Nintendo already has a space-based racing series, and this feels like yet another nail in the coffin for that. Flight of angels sing thee to thy rest, Douglas Jay Falcon. Secondly, while Donkey Kong has hardly been ill-treated in recent years or anything - especially compared to other, far less fortunate Nintendo series - and we've been immensely lucky to get two amazing games in the series from Retro, a duology just feels... incomplete? A complete modern trilogy, to compliment the SNES trilogy. The idea of that just feels... right to me. With post-Tropical Freeze interviews seeming to imply Retro had unfinished business with the franchise, I assumed a third game from them was a lock. I guess that's on me, though. If we are still getting a third modern DKC, though, who would be developing it? It'd have to be Monster, right? I'd definitely be interested in their take on the series, given that they ported Returns 3D and helped out (though to what extent, we still don't know) with Tropical Freeze. They represent a healthy mix of experience with the series while still offering a fresh perspective, which is a good balance to strike. 'course, that's assuming such a title is a guarantee. It's not. Who knows anymore? E3 can't get here soon enough.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
The possibility of Star Fox getting a new game that's better than Zero? I'm down for that.
But the possibilities of both F Zero being sent further down into Purgatory and DK going back onto the shelf when it's been at its best in the past decade? I'm a little less down for that. Let's see how things turn out, E3 is close!

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Well, sad news you guys for DK fans. Retro may be moving on from DK according to rumors picked up by Eurogamer
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing Retro the best. We are happy they revived DKC and gave us two great games, with the most recent one being more than exceptional. I wish it was DK racing or a 3D DK game or something else that is DK related but I'm sure it will be a great quality game. They are master class talents. Hope we can see them working on DK again soon.

Maybe DK might be developed by one of Nintendo's JP studios? With K. Rool avenue and all the DKC references in mario odyssey, perhaps that prospect isn't as troubling as it used to be.
Incoming new Star Fox games without Krystal just like the new DKC games didn't have K. Rool.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Interesting. While I'm somewhat glad they don't just let StarFox die down again after Zero apparently not being that good of a game (haven't really seen anything of it tho so I dunno), it's of course still sad they aren't working on a new DK game, which I've been waiting for since shortly after DKC:TF's release on the Wii U (after I finished everything). Hopefully the franchise will be (or already is) picked up again and we can look forward to new titles (hopefully with K. Rool and the Kremlings), although I'm unsure of how good they would be... the Jungle Climber games were... interesting, but the new DKC games were many levels above anything we had for a long time. I kinda wish Retro will make the next DK after they're done with the StarFox Racing game, though, lol.

Now, something about Smash and K. Rool...

I had a dream today. There was a new interview with Sakurai or something similar where they posted an image of K. Rool and nothing else... except a text that said "Sakurai is sad that K. Rool, his favorite character, hasn't made it into the previous titles of Smash". Something like that.. the design of K. Rool was a new one, and kinda a mix of RARE and Paon (I just want a RARE design, so this wasn't ideal for me, but still okay). So obviously speculation began and people were assuming this means K. Rool now joins this Smash and that's his design for it, etc. Sakurai didn't say anything else, though. After a short while a trailer was found as well, which showed a little bit of K. Rool, and later even an image of K. Rool, Dixie, Mewtwo and I think 1 or 2 others (or maybe the same chars with different colors), which made me really happy.
Then I thought "damn that's way too good to be true, this obviously is a dream.. right?". I then tried to look for cues that it's a dream, I even let someone hit me. I think I even woke up in the dream and thought "oh well, I guess it was a dream", then checked back on it but it was still there. I think this even happened twice lol. Damn dream playing tricks on me!! I was really happy about it, now I have to hope that it'll happen somehow...

I'm kinda a little disappointed in the E3 Smash character reveal if the one E3 presentation rumor turns out to be true (not sure yet, but it got the date of the new info on Nintendo Switch Online stuff right), which I still don't believe but I'm not counting it out.
I'm hoping it'll turn out it was wrong - having stuff spoiled would be less fun anyway.
I just really want a DK trailer with K. Rool and Dixie. That would be enough to make the roster great to me.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Welp. According to Kotaku... rumors claim Retro was working on another game that went through a "Rocky development" and then made this Star Fox Racing game instead... makes you wonder...

I guess my only hope now is that another dev is working on a new DK...... I love Star Fox.. but I'm not sure how to feel about a racing game... if this is real I'll be dissapointed but that's life.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Why the hell are all of you assuming Retro is done with Donkey Kong for good just because they MIGHT be doing something else at the moment? Nothing's really stopping them from making this supposed Star Fox spinoff and then going right back to DKC. At least wait until we know the rumor is legit before assuming there'll be no more DKC from Retro.

:094:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I've always said Retro's new game will be amazing no matter what it turned to be. That hasn't changed even though it's shaping up to be something I would rather it not be, heh.

There's almost certainly more under the surface here than a cursory glance at the rumors might indicate. As in, Retro might have had an earlier project that became Star Fox Racing after development stalled, or they received a Star Fox Adventures-esque mandate from Miyamoto to reskin an original racer as Star Fox. We'll learn more if/when the game is revealed and interviews start.

I'm far from worried about DK. The fear of another hiatus is real, but when DK Vine, the guys who semi-seriously entertained the idea of Donkey Kong being cut from Brawl, are optimistic for the series' future, there's no reason we shouldn't be too. You don't tease "a new Donkey Kong experience" and devote a massive chunk of your upcoming theme park to a series you don't intend to do anything with. And on the off chance they didn't have plans, what better to get the corporate focus group-y juices flowing than TF Switch blowing the original's sales out of the water?

Also, if you want silver linings, consider these: That a new DK game no longer has to match up with Retro's developmental timeline means it could be dropped on us at literally any time. And if K. Rool is in it, in-house development dramatically boosts the likelihood of Sakurai being aware, and able to implement potential new moves for a redesign for him in Smash, in a way that would never happen with his apparent track record of not communicating with overseas companies.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Is there any reason any credence is being given to these rumours anyway?

Ultimately I don't care for anything the Star Fox series has to offer, but if Retro are doing this then the Star Fox fans have got the prospect of a Star Fox game that (based on track record) is finally the quality they were hoping for. And, as much as I wish Retro were doing more Donkey Kong, I don't begrudge them that. During the January Direct when we had the TF port and the DK DLC for Mario+Rabbids, I said it was a good one to be a DK fan in. That's still true. It hasn't been for anyone who cares about Star Fox in a very long time and it could be nice to see Retro turn their magic to successfully reinventing another Nintendo IP.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Pretty sure those closed captions are a little flawed. Humorous, but not in the way intended presumably. Yeah I still don't know what the video is actually trying to say.
Yep but it still goes to show you how powerful the DKC brand is all over the world with people that look different, speak differently, live differently. But share that commonality of playing a game where monkeys fight crocodiles. There are millions of people out there that played DKC1-3 and DK64 and have good memories about them. There are a lot of those memories left to mine that Nintendo has not fully done so.

Let's hope Sakurai does it. Despite everything, I have faith in the guy. He's been the closest to giving us K. Rool after all these years. I think the MIi costume was a turning point.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
What interests me a lot is the undeniable DKC TF content we will see in the next smash bros game.

Stages, items, assist trophies and the likes.
What do you find likely to appear?

As for stages, a homecoming hijinx stage would be ideal in my opinion. Slippery floors, platforms that crumble away and maybe a blast barrel or two...

The DKC games havn‘t Been big in the items or assist trophy departments, though...so why not change that now?

Itemwise, how about a Rambi crate?
Opening the crate unleashed Rambi who charges at enemies and who can be stood upon, Gogoat style.. it‘d be it‘s own assist trophy like item, but you know that the Rhinozeros to be released from a crate.

As for true assists, i‘d love to see Cranky Kong go Bananas, pogo jumping all over the place, showing those young‘uns how it‘s done!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Tweeted Ubisoft Milan asking what the odds are of K. Rool being in Mario+Rabbids I said he was practically made for it and posted a Giff of Kaptain K. Rool with his blunderbuss they actually replied and said

"it was good advice for Davide Soliani" and tagged him... (the games producer)

I tagged him in a follow up comment asking to give me a hot or cold to his inclusion but i don't expect a reply... whether he's in it or not theyre clearly sitting on an E3 announcement trailer so he certainly wouldnt give any info to me some Joe Shmoe over Twitter. It would be wild though if I got some criptic reply ha ha ha. At least I tried right?

Edit: He replied with "Its a very RARE thing" I have no idea how to take that..... but if he's thinking he's owned by Rare well then there goes that...

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Tweeted Ubisoft Milan asking what the odds are of K. Rool being in Mario+Rabbids I said he was practically made for it and posted a Giff of Kaptain K. Rool with his blunderbuss they actually replied and said

I tagged him in a follow up comment asking to give me a hot or cold to his inclusion but i don't expect a reply... whether he's in it or not theyre clearly sitting on an E3 announcement trailer so he certainly wouldnt give any info to me some Joe Shmoe over Twitter. It would be wild though if I got some criptic reply ha ha ha. At least I tried right?

Edit: He replied with "Its a very RARE thing" I have no idea how to take that..... but if he's thinking he's owned by Rare well then there goes that...
Think he was letting us down gently. Thanks for finding out !

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman

I think it's great they responded back. I'm not too sure if they're hinting at his inclusion in the DLC, but it'd be nice if we at least see a cameo. Hell, I wouldn't even mind seeing a Rabbid K. Rool. I just want to see something....

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Think he was letting us down gently. Thanks for finding out !

Maybe but like I said I doubt he would reveal any info over Twitter anyway.. in a way his response is a safe one.. he's referencing Rare but he could also be referencing K. Rool's "rare" appearances as of late in a way since I'm more than positive being in the industry and looking toward making something involving DK I'm sure he's aware of the were the fans are in regards to the Kremlings.

His response is safe because it doesn't really give me a hint towards anything... he's not saying yes or no which is about what I expected had I gotten a reply at all.. I think it was nice for him to reply to a fan without giving anything away. I still believe we can see K. Rool in there. We will see at E3 I suppose

Or wait..... what if he meant.. it's a Rare thing as in if he does appear it's in a Rare like fashion... picture it... the whole time you think the final boss is a Rabbid or something and it's K. Rool in a bunny costume.... lmao

Last edited:

TheSoldier

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2020-0559-7730
Kan Nintendo just add him already? He's the best villain from DKC and is need for that game's section.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yep but it still goes to show you how powerful the DKC brand is all over the world with people that look different, speak differently, live differently. But share that commonality of playing a game where monkeys fight crocodiles. There are millions of people out there that played DKC1-3 and DK64 and have good memories about them. There are a lot of those memories left to mine that Nintendo has not fully done so.

Let's hope Sakurai does it. Despite everything, I have faith in the guy. He's been the closest to giving us K. Rool after all these years. I think the MIi costume was a turning point.
It's been comparatively good to be a K. Rool fan these past few years than it was during the pre-Smash 4 days. Back then, we were worried that DKC getting taken off the Wii e-shop was part of an anti-Kremling Nintendo konspiracy, and *now*, K. Rool has a street named after him in a mainline, Miyamoto-lead Mario game.

In fairness, most fandoms should be able to expect cameos that are a bit better than that, but Nintendo is as Nintendo does. We have to take what we can get.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
K. Rool has a street named after him in a mainline, Miyamoto-lead Mario game.
Not to burst bubbles but Miyamoto had VERY little involvement in Odyssey. The game was headed by Koizumi. The same guy who said back in the Jungle Beat days "The Kremlings and DKC characters weren't fresh enough" so I'm glad at least Koizumi has come around on the Rare characters.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I *now*, K. Rool has a street named after him in a mainline, Miyamoto-lead Mario game.
Well first, Odyssey wasn't lead by Miyamoto. The team checked with him because they value his input but he didn't spearhead the project by any means. And second, it wouldn't be that impressive to see K Rool mentioned in a Miyamoto game, the idea that Miyamoto doesn't like the Rare DK is a myth. It probably started because Nintendo execs wanted him to make a Mario game using the prerendering technology used for DK and he instead made Yoshi's Island to spite them. But that wasn't him not liking DK that was him wanting artistic freedom. He helped Rare make DKC if he didn't think the game was quality then it most likely wouldn't have been released. However, the dude who did make Odyssey was someone who said the Rare characters weren't fresh enough so that is something.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So I've now got every gold medal on all worlds from 1-6. The final boss was particularly awkward to do the time trials; I'm comfortable with beating him but timing every jump to not miss a single one becomes a nightmare on the final stage.

I don't think it's too contrary to the point of this thread to say I'd actually like the Snowmads to return as well as King K Rool. They are a cool cohesively designed bunch and whilst they're no replacement for the Kremlings they are a pretty fine substitute.

Bashmaster is also much cooler than Lord Fredrik, and is the one enemy from this I'd like to see come back the most.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well first, Odyssey wasn't lead by Miyamoto. The team checked with him because they value his input but he didn't spearhead the project by any means. And second, it wouldn't be that impressive to see K Rool mentioned in a Miyamoto game, the idea that Miyamoto doesn't like the Rare DK is a myth. It probably started because Nintendo execs wanted him to make a Mario game using the prerendering technology used for DK and he instead made Yoshi's Island to spite them. But that wasn't him not liking DK that was him wanting artistic freedom. He helped Rare make DKC if he didn't think the game was quality then it most likely wouldn't have been released. However, the dude who did make Odyssey was someone who said the Rare characters weren't fresh enough so that is something.
Huh, I actually didn't know Miyamoto wasn't directly behind Odyssey, although now that you mention it, it's probably why it was allowed to be a 3D collectathon with a semblance of story nowadays.

And I know Miyamoto doesn't actually hate the Kremlings, and actually had a hand in their creation iirc, but back then, "Miyamoto hates the Kremlings" was all the rage as an anti-Kremling fearmongering point. So it still shows a stark contrast from what we're given today.

So I've now got every gold medal on all worlds from 1-6. The final boss was particularly awkward to do the time trials; I'm comfortable with beating him but timing every jump to not miss a single one becomes a nightmare on the final stage.

I don't think it's too contrary to the point of this thread to say I'd actually like the Snowmads to return as well as King K Rool. They are a cool cohesively designed bunch and whilst they're no replacement for the Kremlings they are a pretty fine substitute.

Bashmaster is also much cooler than Lord Fredrik, and is the one enemy from this I'd like to see come back the most.
I love the Snowmads! They make the Tikis look like crap. They had personality, and had a lot of the things about them that made me like the Kremlings as a kid. Bashmaster definitely left a much better impression than Freddy, although I don't mind him. He's basically Walrus K. Rool though.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Oh, god. I remember scouring the depths of YouTube at crappy off-screen hidden camerawork looking for any evidence of Chunky. Good times.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I think k rool and Dixie will be in but I don't think they will get revealed at e3 unless they pull a brawl and show off like seven newcomers at once. then I think only 1 will be revealed pre release and the other will be unrevealed like bowser jr.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
YES, i really want DIXIE n Rool!
i love K.ROOL So much that i send a k.rool 3d file for my friend to print in 3d .
Will paint and show you the result ! :D will take so much time that i think the game will released before.... but whatever

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I finally discovered a fullproof rationale to get K. Rool in Smash. Should I send this to Nintendo?

Hey home skillets, this is a rap
about some guy named King K. Rap.
NO, that's wrong, his name's K. Rool
and he's not crap, this guy is COOL.
Alma mater? Wrinkly's school!
Does that matter? Yes, you fool.

Lost his homeland, that's so sad!
Cause his plan went kind of bad.
Diddy and Dixie are the ones to blame,
trying to 102% the game.
And with their greedy monkey paws
they both broke international laws.

So Sakurai, you understand,
why you must meet the demand
to add K. Rool to Super Smash.
Or you will face UN backlash.
I know this is already a page old but did you really just rhyme “rap” with itself?

Last edited:

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Umm...ummmm...UMMMM

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511/901488642

Can anyone find out if Emily Rogers ever hinted at K. Rool being in Smash? I vaguely ever remember something like this. This is the same girl that's hinting at Ridley. With this new leak by a supposed credible leaker that supposedly confirmed Ridley...and if Emily does actually have insider info...

could...

could this mean...

he will have his finest hour??????????????????????

Top Bottom