• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
So this isn't Ryu related, but I decided to bring this up since there doesn't seem to be a page dedicated to Kasumi from Dead or Alive on Smashboards, and I would like to get everybody's thoughts on this.

If, on the off chance somehow, we get Kasumi instead of Ryu Hayabusa, they would obviously have to either edit her classic outfit to be less revealing, like they did with Pyra and Mythra (Which still look good despite being censored, honestly), or put her in one of her less-revealing outfits like her DOA5 Night Sakura or DOA6 bodysuit outfits. Personally, I prefer her original outfits from the first 4 games, but I also know that it's not exactly "Good boys and girls" material. Then I found this image on Google Images. Honestly, if the Smash team did something similar to this image, I think Kasumi could be appropriate for Smash while still looking pretty sexy.

What do you all think?
View attachment 321740
It would be the most disappointing Smash reveal of FP2 (which is saying something) and my 3rd most dissapointing reveal in Smash Ultimate, only topped by Sephiroth and Piranha Plant in my eyes.

I don't care about DOA at all, so by default this doesn't tickle my fancy, and since Ryu is such a mainstay in that franchise i don't see why they would choose Kasumi. I mean they didn't went with Kyo Kusanagi despite being a KOF staple, and they used Terry instead who was a Fatal Fury AND KoF character, so i don't see this situation happening.

I mean it's not Ryza, at least DOA has the honor of beign Koei Tecmo's most popular franchise (That doesn't rely on the popularity of other IPs, COUGH Warriors COUGH) and i would rather have a DOA char over say, a MK character, but this still would leave me bummed, especially since Ninja Gaiden is the only Koei Tecmo series i gave a crap about.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It would be the most disappointing Smash reveal of FP2 (which is saying something) and my 3rd most dissapointing reveal in Smash Ultimate, only topped by Sephiroth and Piranha Plant in my eyes.

I don't care about DOA at all, so by default this doesn't tickle my fancy, and since Ryu is such a mainstay in that franchise i don't see why they would choose Kasumi. I mean they didn't went with Kyo Kusanagi despite being a KOF staple, and they used Terry instead who was a Fatal Fury AND KoF character, so i don't see this situation happening.

I mean it's not Ryza, at least DOA has the honor of beign Koei Tecmo's most popular franchise (That doesn't rely on the popularity of other IPs, COUGH Warriors COUGH) and i would rather have a DOA char over say, a MK character, but this still would leave me bummed, especially since Ninja Gaiden is the only Koei Tecmo series i gave a crap about.
At this point, I just really want to see a Koei Tecmo character make it (except the Warriors series) into Ultimate. Considering the relationship between Nintendo and KT for the last several years, they're MORE than deserving of a fighter. Hayabusa is my most-wanted character, but I'd be completely okay with Kasumi or Ryza as well. Kasumi is my favorite Dead or Alive character, I enjoyed the first Atelier Ryza game (still haven't tried the 2nd game yet), and Hayabusa is the most iconic Tecmo character whose series has a history with Nintendo since the NES days.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
So this isn't Ryu related, but I decided to bring this up since there doesn't seem to be a page dedicated to Kasumi from Dead or Alive on Smashboards, and I would like to get everybody's thoughts on this.

If, on the off chance somehow, we get Kasumi instead of Ryu Hayabusa, they would obviously have to either edit her classic outfit to be less revealing, like they did with Pyra and Mythra (Which still look good despite being censored, honestly), or put her in one of her less-revealing outfits like her DOA5 Night Sakura or DOA6 bodysuit outfits. Personally, I prefer her original outfits from the first 4 games, but I also know that it's not exactly "Good boys and girls" material. Then I found this image on Google Images. Honestly, if the Smash team did something similar to this image, I think Kasumi could be appropriate for Smash while still looking pretty sexy.

What do you all think?
View attachment 321740
I never really considered Kasumi's outfits to be all that revealing. She's way more covered up than Mai. lol

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Uggggggh I did it again without thinking! I really gotta stop bringing up other characters in a thread where they're not the focus! 😖 Even if it's a character from a series connected to Ryu Hayabusa's universe...

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Uggggggh I did it again without thinking! I really gotta stop bringing up other characters in a thread where they're not the focus! 😖 Even if it's a character from a series connected to Ryu Hayabusa's universe...
It's fine, you were just sharing your opinion that's not a crime

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You know, lately I've been thinking, what if they use his DOA look instead? It does have some slight differences from his NG look and DOA is T rated, so maybe there won't be a problem if they go with that look instead?

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
You know, lately I've been thinking, what if they use his DOA look instead? It does have some slight differences from his NG look and DOA is T rated, so maybe there won't be a problem if they go with that look instead?
DOA is M Rated and after Kazuya, I don't think were going to get a second 3D fighting series

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
DOA is M Rated and after Kazuya, I don't think were going to get a second 3D fighting series
I don't know why I thought the series was T rated. Maybe I'm just going by DOA3.

Also, I was talking about his look. Not really representing DOA.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, I kind of miss the days when Dead or Alive was rated T. I felt like DOA 1-3 had a great balance of the series taking itself serious as a fighting game, while still being pretty sexy, if that makes sense. I feel like DOA Ultimate and 4 was the turning point for the series, and it started getting kind of ridiculous from that point on.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I'm glad they finally improved on the characters after DOA4. I like how they look more detailed now.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I'm glad they finally improved on the characters after DOA4. I like how the they look more detailed now.
I don't mind the newer designs for most of the DOA characters, but I think I still prefer the graphics from the second, third and fourth games. I might be biased though, since Dead or Alive 3 is one of my favorite fighting games ever, alongside Tekken 3 and 5, Soulcalibur II and Capcom vs SNK 2.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I liked DOA2:Hardcore on PS2 and Dimensions on 3DS (haha I'm a guy that didn't have an Xbox for the better part of my gaming life). While I don't mind the sexier, more realistic designs in 5 and 6, I do not like that Koei Tecmo now is holding the DOA series to such a low standard that selling mountains upon mountains of DLC totalling to ~$1000 per game is their modus operandi. Like ****, I know the series is full of fan service but please at least take the game more seriously so people will actually look at it seriously (as a fighting game) and buy it, goddamn. I seriously wonder how much current Koei Tecmo would charge for Kasumi or Ayane if one of them was actually up for contention for Smash.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't mind the newer designs for most of the DOA characters, but I think I still prefer the graphics from the second, third and fourth games. I might be biased though, since Dead or Alive 3 is one of my favorite fighting games ever, alongside Tekken 3 and 5, Soulcalibur II and Capcom vs SNK 2.
Most of them are my favorites too. I played the heck out of Tekken 3 and Dead or Alive 3. Love those games.

Also, I've always wanted a Tekken vs. Dead or Alive fighting game. One of my dream crossover games.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I liked DOA2:Hardcore on PS2 and Dimensions on 3DS (haha I'm a guy that didn't have an Xbox for the better part of my gaming life). While I don't mind the sexier, more realistic designs in 5 and 6, I do not like that Koei Tecmo now is holding the DOA series to such a low standard that selling mountains upon mountains of DLC totalling to ~$1000 per game is their modus operandi. Like ****, I know the series is full of fan service but please at least take the game more seriously so people will actually look at it seriously (as a fighting game) and buy it, goddamn. I seriously wonder how much current Koei Tecmo would charge for Kasumi or Ayane if one of them was actually up for contention for Smash.
Yeah, Dead or Alive 6 just felt like a soulless platform that started out trying to appease the people critical of the series' staple sex appeal by toning down on it, only to charge the equivalent of one-month's rent for an apartment for costume DLC to bring back that sex appeal. It's no wonder DOA6 failed hard. Dead or Alive 5 wasn't much better, as they re-released that game constantly with fresh updates, while STILL selling additional DLC alongside them. That's pretty much when my I lost my love for Dead or Alive...

Also, I don't think Tecmo has much control over that if Nintendo splits the DLC profits between them and the 3rd party studios involved 😆 But I get it lol.

Most of them are my favorites too. I played the heck out of Tekken 3 and Dead or Alive 3. Love those games.

Also, I've always wanted a Tekken vs. Dead or Alive fighting game. One of my dream crossover games.
I would LOVE to see a Tekken x Dead or Alive game!

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
In spite of my most wanted ever: GENO; and my second most wanted these days: CRASH; I think the more likely to happen are between only Hayabusa and Rayman, and probably Eggman.

Hope this ends with at least one of those. Such epic and well deserving characters.

:’)

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I probably may have already said this before, but if Ryu Hayabusa DOES get into Smash, I think he might play like a mix between his two Ninja Gaiden counterparts, the original series and the modern series, and his Dead Or Alive counterpart, with music from both the original NG series and the modern NG series, especially Ninja Gaiden (2004)/Black. Both originals and new remixes. I’d definitely love to hear a Smash remix of Unbreakable Determination by Keiji Yamagishi, the original composer himself.

I kinda would also love to see Kasumi and Ayane get into Smash as well, with music from the DOA series. Although, that may not be easy, considering... Well, you know. But then again, I think they're a little more covered up than Mai Shiranui, who appeared as a guest character in DOA5LR and DOA6.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I probably may have already said this before, but if Ryu Hayabusa DOES get into Smash, I think he might play like a mix between his two Ninja Gaiden counterparts, the original series and the modern series, and his Dead Or Alive counterpart, with music from both the original NG series and the modern NG series, especially Ninja Gaiden (2004)/Black. Both originals and new remixes. I’d definitely love to hear a Smash remix of Unbreakable Determination by Keiji Yamagishi, the original composer himself.

I kinda would also love to see Kasumi and Ayane get into Smash as well, with music from the DOA series. Although, that may not be easy, considering... Well, you know. But then again, I think they're a little more covered up than Mai Shiranui, who appeared as a guest character in DOA5LR and DOA6.
I think everyone pretty much agree with that. As far as being a Smash character, Hayabusa has it all; action, platforming, and fighting game elements. He'd be really easy to make. A brand new Unbreakable Determination remixed for Smash would be great too but even if they don't, the one from Warriors Orochi would be good enough, which sounds fitting for Smash anyway.

Also,, since we're talking about DOA, I figured I'd mention that DOA characters (Kasumi, Honoka, Marie Rose, and Nyotengo) are confirmed to be in KOF All-Stars. Not really a fan of the latter three but I'm really glad Kasumi is one of them. Plus, this might be the only way to have a Tekken x Dead or Alive crossover happen in a game right now.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I think everyone pretty much agree with that. As far as being a Smash character, Hayabusa has it all; action, platforming, and fighting game elements. He'd be really easy to make. A brand new Unbreakable Determination remixed for Smash would be great too but even if they don't, the one from Warriors Orochi would be good enough, which sounds fitting for Smash anyway.

Also,, since we're talking about DOA, I figured I'd mention that DOA characters (Kasumi, Honoka, and Marie Rose) are confirmed to be in KOF All-Stars. Not really a fan of the latter two but I'm really glad Kasumi is one of them. Plus, this might be the only way to have a Tekken x Dead or Alive crossover happen in a game right now.
Tekken x Dead Or Alive would be cool. I kinda would also love to see Tekken x Virtua Fighter, because both VF and Tekken were created by Seiichii Ishii. VF was also created by Yu Suzuki, the creator of Shenmue himself.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't think too much about theories but there is something interesting to bring up about Hayabusa possibly being the last character if you look at everything else:

Piranha Plant and Min Min - first party characters

Joker and Steve - unexpected third party characters

Hero and Sephiroth - sword-wielding Square-Enix characters

Banjo-Kazooie and Pyra/Mythra - duo characters

Terry and Kazuya - fighting game characters

Byleth and Hayabusa? - multi-weapon characters from Koei Tecmo games

That would be something if it ended like that. We still have to wait and see but man, suddenly Hayabusa possibly being the last character kind of make sense now.

Tekken x Dead Or Alive would be cool. I kinda would also love to see Tekken x Virtua Fighter, because both VF and Tekken were created by Seiichii Ishii. VF was also created by Yu Suzuki, the creator of Shenmue himself.
Oh yeah. I love Virtua Fighter, so seeing that go up against Tekken would be great too.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I don't think too much about theories but there is something interesting to bring up about Hayabusa possibly being the last character if you look at everything else:

That would be something if it ended like that. We still have to wait and see but man, suddenly Hayabusa possibly being the last character kind of make sense now.

That would be a cool way to end Smash Ulimate!
Dead or Alive 6 and TEKKEN 7 are about too meet in KING OF FIGHTERS ALL-STARS

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

I’m sorry but I can’t take pattern theories like this seriously. It’s just stretching.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So curious question, since Sakurai has already stated that he listens too character fanbases (like Dante, Dovahkiin, Lloyd, Sans, and Shantae) do you think that there’s a chance he’s listened too ours???

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
So curious question, since Sakurai has already stated that he listens too character fanbases (like Dante, Dovahkiin, Lloyd, Sans, and Shantae) do you think that there’s a chance he’s listened too ours???
I think so. Fans talking about Hayabusa being in Smash has been around since Smash 4, so there's plenty of time for him to see that.

Also, since Koei Tecmo has worked closely with Nintendo, there's also a good chance that he may have listened to more than just fans.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Possibly, but it's still up to Koei Tecmo so if Sakurai/Nintendo went up to them to ask for anything and they said "no", he can't do anything about it, and I'm only talking about content KT completely owns.

Last edited:

The Dragon Sword

Smash Rookie
https://flic.kr/p/2mgb2jk
So... At this point, I have lost 90% hope that Ryu Hayabusa is the last character in Fighter Pass 2. However, seeing Dante, Shantae and Dragonborn in this last round of Mii Fighters due to fan demand has given me hope that our main man might be included in the next round of Mii Fighters. I personally prefer his classic NES look to the newer XBOX redesign, and I couldn't help myself, I just had to mock it up to see what he might look like. If this is the most we get for Ryu Hayabusa in Smash Ultimate, I think I'll be happy.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
https://flic.kr/p/2mgb2jk
So... At this point, I have lost 90% hope that Ryu Hayabusa is the last character in Fighter Pass 2. However, seeing Dante, Shantae and Dragonborn in this last round of Mii Fighters due to fan demand has given me hope that our main man might be included in the next round of Mii Fighters. I personally prefer his classic NES look to the newer XBOX redesign, and I couldn't help myself, I just had to mock it up to see what he might look like. If this is the most we get for Ryu Hayabusa in Smash Ultimate, I think I'll be happy.
Where did you find that fanart of that Ryu mii from?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I’m baffled that Sakurai gave Dovahkin a Mii costume based on demand, I never saw any bit of support for the guy and I can’t say surprised about that, if anything Doomguy’s the one with the strong demand.

Anyway, of course he’s aware of Ryu Hayabusa’s fan demand and popularity, but given not just Ninja Gaiden but also Koei Tecmo’s strong history and relationship with Nintendo going back to the 80’s, I think Ryu deserves more than that. But at this point, I don’t know anymore, probably have to accept that not even Ryu gets to join DLC of all characters. If a Mii costume satisfies you, great. To me it’s pretty much as valuable as getting nothing tbh.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
What's with the sudden loss of hope?
It happens when we approach the end of a Smash game's run. There's only one fighter left, and many different characters that people could want still remain. Of course people are going to get bummed out and start to give up on who they wanted when there's only one spot left. Frankly, I don't really care who the last character is anymore. I'm over this fanbase.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
What's with the sudden loss of hope?
I just don't care anymore. I've long accepted the possibility that Koei Tecmo just doesn't want any of their original content in Smash for whatever reason, but more likely that they were just incredibly hard to work with since they aren't above greedy business practices and probably would ask for more than expected (see Dead or Alive 5 and 6 DLC). Koei Tecmo is not some benevolent company just because of their "great relationship" with Nintendo. They're still a business and will do whatever they think is in their best interest or what will generate the most profit for them. I'm hoping they surprise me with this last Challenger Pack.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Other than the possible disconfirmation of Hayabusa’s inclusion from a few months ago, I guess it’s the fact that there’s only one precious slot left.
Yeah, I guess so. However, keep in mind that that was way back in April and now that we know Hayabusa wasn't the next character to be revealed after that, there's no telling how much has been going on from between then and when the last character will be revealed. Either he really was disconfirmed or they just didn't know at that time.

It happens when we approach the end of a Smash game's run. There's only one fighter left, and many different characters that people could want still remain. Of course people are going to get bummed out and start to give up on who they wanted when there's only one spot left. Frankly, I don't really care who the last character is anymore. I'm over this fanbase.
Well, I'm definitely not giving up. As long as at least one of my MWs still has a chance, I still have a lot of hope.

I just don't care anymore. I've long accepted the possibility that Koei Tecmo just doesn't want any of their original content in Smash for whatever reason, but more likely that they were just incredibly hard to work with since they aren't above greedy business practices and probably would ask for more than expected (see Dead or Alive 5 and 6 DLC). Koei Tecmo is not some benevolent company just because of their "great relationship" with Nintendo. They're still a business and will do whatever they think is in their best interest or what will generate the most profit for them. I'm hoping they surprise me with this last Challenger Pack.
There's nothing wrong with accepting the possibility that a Koei Tecmo character might not get in but I do find it hard to believe that they would be that hard for even Nintendo to work with. Their long partnership with Nintendo should indicate the opposite. Plus, with them already saying that they have been interested in making a new Ninja Gaiden and the Master Collection being released clearly as a way to draw more interest into the series, it would be unwise to pass up an opportunity to have their character in a game as popular as Smash.

But this seems like a pretty strong year for Koei Tecmo. First there's the Master Collection, then there's Samurai Warriors 5, and then there's also Winning Post 9 2021. Hopefully, this will also be their year to shine in Smash.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
There's nothing wrong with accepting the possibility that a Koei Tecmo character might not get in but I do find it hard to believe that they would be that hard for even Nintendo to work with. Their long partnership with Nintendo should indicate the opposite. Plus, with them already saying that they have been interested in making a new Ninja Gaiden and the Master Collection being released clearly as a way to draw more interest into the series, it would be unwise to pass up an opportunity to have their character in a game as popular as Smash.
I would believe you... if it wasn't for the fact that we still don't have that fully-owned content from them like I mentioned before so I still have to put it out there that they were probably still difficult to work with. If you don't want to believe that, there are only a few possibilities of what happened between NIntendo and KT for them to get nothing:

a.) Nintendo never asked KT for any content.
b.) KT never asked to include any content.
c.) Nintendo asked KT, or vice-versa, to have some content in Smash but they couldn't come to any agreements.

Now, you might think scenario c was the most likely situation compared to the former two given their "great relationship" with Nintendo, then it would come down to the reasons for why such a thing couldn't come to pass. I won't go into details since anything could've happened but if Vergeben was still to be believed that talks about Hayabusa in Smash still happened then negotiations obviously fell through at this stage. Yasuda's comments and ignorance of Hayabusa in Smash seem to support this since I highly doubt the current director of the Ninja Gaiden series would know absolutely nothing if Hayabusa was actually planned to be in Smash. Of course, everything said here could blow up in my face come this last Challenger Pack and we finally do get that fabled fully-owned Koei Tecmo content (whether it be a Spirit Event, Mii cotume, and/or playable fighter) but as of late, KT has nothing to show for me to believe otherwise that they weren't difficult to work with despite their amazing working relationship with Nintendo.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I would believe you... if it wasn't for the fact that we still don't have that fully-owned content from them like I mentioned before so I still have to put it out there that they were probably still difficult to work with. If you don't want to believe that, there are only a few possibilities of what happened between NIntendo and KT for them to get nothing:

a.) Nintendo never asked KT for any content.
b.) KT never asked to include any content.
c.) Nintendo asked KT, or vice-versa, to have some content in Smash but they couldn't come to any agreements.

Now, you might think scenario c was the most likely situation compared to the former two given their "great relationship" with Nintendo, then it would come down to the reasons for why such a thing couldn't come to pass. I won't go into details since anything could've happened but if Vergeben was still to be believed that talks about Hayabusa in Smash still happened then negotiations obviously fell through at this stage. Yasuda's comments and ignorance of Hayabusa in Smash seem to support this since I highly doubt the current director of the Ninja Gaiden series would know absolutely nothing if Hayabusa was actually planned to be in Smash. Of course, everything said here could blow up in my face come this last Challenger Pack and we finally do get that fabled fully-owned Koei Tecmo content (whether it be a Spirit Event, Mii cotume, and/or playable fighter) but as of late, KT has nothing to show for me to believe otherwise that they weren't difficult to work with despite their amazing working relationship with Nintendo.
The thing is, Koei Tecmo already has content in Smash. Sure, it's not completely owned by them but their name does show up, so I guess that indicates that Nintendo have contacted them when it came to Smash. So, it would still feel strange that they would allow all that in Smash but have troubles when it comes to their own stuff. Not just Ninja Gaiden but even stuff like Dynasty Warriors or Dead or Alive Mii costumes or spirit events would have made sense. Not seeing any of that at this point is just suspicious to me.

Of course, I still wouldn't rule out the possibility that talks of Hayabusa fell through because Koei Tecmo was hard to work with but they've collaborated with so many different companies (including some of the ones that are involved in Smash) that it just seems like a small possibility. I just don't see it happening and would be very shocked if it did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom