• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Tbh the only competition I see is coming from a Capcom rep. Capcom has yet to get any DLC fighter in either of the fighter passes, and I find that kind of suspicious. Capcom has many big series not in Smash yet, and even though Monster Hunter isn't happening, it doesn't mean the others don't.

My guess on the final character is either Ryu Hayabusa or a Capcom rep. I think Nintendo 1st party is done for now (ARMS and Xenoblade 2 fill that), and obviously Square, Namco got their characters this go around, Konami got Castlevania in the base game and both a Bomberman and Goemon Mii outfits, and Sega got the first pass. I think any western specific character is probably unlikely.

The only big absent companies in these passes is both Capcom and Koei/Tecmo, which is why I think it's going to come down to one of them.
Capcom and Konami are pretty much in the same position. I don't see why Capcom could get a 4th character but not Konami.

But, of course, I prefer a character from a company that doesn't have one at all yet, specifically Koei Tecmo in this case.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Capcom and Konami are pretty much in the same position. I don't see why Capcom could get a 4th character but not Konami.

But, of course, I prefer a character from a company that doesn't have one at all yet, specifically Koei Tecmo in this case.
Yeah, Capcom, Konami, Sega and Square Enix are all good on content in Smash and don't need anymore fighters, as far as I'm concerned. Microsoft and Bandai Namco I guess could get another character like the 4 mentioned earlier, but I don't think it's likely at this point. SNK went all in with Terry to where they're likely not getting another character.

Koei Tecmo is the only major Japanese 3rd Party company left that I would like to see get a fighter, that also makes sense for the roster we currently have. I don't need to go into Nintendo and Koei Tecmo's working relationship, since we've all brought that up over the years. Hopefully a Tecmo character like Ryu or Kasumi will get the final spot on Smash Ultimate's roster 👍

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I’m still shocked that it hasn’t happened yet at all, why hasn’t Nintendo given KOEI TECMO a fighter yet? It just doesn’t make any sense, the only KOEI TECMO content in the game is content that’s not even fully owned by KOEI TECMO themselves (AoC, P5 Strikers, FATAL FRAME) as they joint own those with Nintendo and SEGA/ATLUS. Is it because KOEI TECMO franchises are too lewd and also that some of them are based on historic figures which wouldn’t count as video game characters? Like maybe Yuri Kozukata in Smash is all they could think of, but FATAL FRAME is lewd too…WHAT ARE THE RULES DAMMIT

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
To be honest, I’m still shocked that it hasn’t happened yet at all, why hasn’t Nintendo given KOEI TECMO a fighter yet? It just doesn’t make any sense, the only KOEI TECMO content in the game is content that’s not even fully owned by KOEI TECMO themselves (AoC, P5 Strikers, FATAL FRAME) as they joint own those with Nintendo and SEGA/ATLUS. Is it because KOEI TECMO franchises are too lewd and also that some of them are based on historic figures which wouldn’t count as video game characters? Like maybe Yuri Kozukata in Smash is all they could think of, but FATAL FRAME is lewd too…WHAT ARE THE RULES DAMMIT
I like to think it's because Nintendo and Sakurai like to catch people by surprise, even with the most obvious characters and a Koei Tecmo character seems VERY obvious for Smash.

When I think about this, I look at Namco. Ever since it was confirmed that they were working on Smash 4, a Namco character seemed inevitable. In fact, I'm sure a lot of people other than myself thought that a Namco character would be one of the first characters to be revealed. Instead, Pac-Man wasn't revealed until close to the game's release and even in this game, another Namco character, Kazuya, wasn't included until near the end of the second FP.

I know this may sound like another crazy theory but I gotta admit, even though I was hoping Hayabusa would be revealed at E3, I also wasn't surprised that he wasn't. Because one thing I have noticed with all these new characters is that none them had anything leading up directly into their reveal. I compared this to the Hero situation back in 2019 but one difference that I overlooked was that Dragon Quest XI for the Switch was coming out months later after he was included in Smash. So when I look at the timeline of everything surrounding Hero, it was:

Earlier that year: Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition is announced
Middle of that year: Hero is confirmed and released for Smash Ultimate
Later that same year: Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition is released

Nothing happened in the same month. It's all spaced out, as if it's a one-at-a-time kind of thing for the character or series.

Hayabusa would have had both his games released and his Smash reveal in the same month, which usually doesn't happen. Couple that with his in-game birthday that just happened to be on E3 and yeah, that would obviously lead to some speculation and anticipation of a character that I don't think Nintendo and Sakurai would want. In fact, Sakurai himself admitted that he doesn't want to set up speculation for any character for Smash, which is why he doesn't even mention what games he plays. Heck, he can't even mentions names of games or other developers without fans thinking it means something for Smash.

So this is why I think there's a good chance that Hayabusa could still very well be that last character. The Master Collection was announced earlier, then released just now, and the next Smash reveal will be later. Hopefully, that'll be him.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I think you're overthinking things. It's entirely possible that they just haven't decided to reveal a Koei Tecmo character yet. And if you're worried about potentially lewd characters going against that possibility, then just remember that Ryu Hayabusa is a MAN, and that the only body parts he exposes are usually his arms.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I'm sorry guys, but this is going to be my final post on this site. I... can't deal with this fanbase's drama anymore. Thanks for allowing me to come on here to discuss Smash and Ryu Hayabusa with you all. I'll still be pulling for him and Koei Tecmo getting the final spot in Ultimate.

Goodbye, and thanks again...
Ah, that's just too bad. Not sure why it's enough to leave the site altogether, though. I don't recall any drama in this specific topic.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would think Ryu would take moves and costumes from both DoA and NG.... I wonder if they would change the series symbol based on the fighting skin.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I will be rooting hard for Ryu Hayabusa. He completes the major NES Franchise representatives. We got Mario, Kirby, Megaman, Link, Samus, Simon Belmont, and Snake already.

Well, I guess you could say that Contra and Double-Dragon are still missing.

cybersai

Smash Ace
LOL, Ryu Hayabusa survived another round of Mii Fighters.

Ryu Hayabusa is oddly still on the table. His absence in any form (no Spirits, No Mii outfits) is VERY suspicious. Could it actually be happening?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Woo! Hayabusa's dodged a bullet.

Ryu Hayabusa is oddly still on the table. His absence in any form (no Spirits, No Mii outfits) is VERY suspicious. Could it actually be happening?
Heck, Koei Tecmo as a whole survived another round of Mii fighters.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hayabusa lives to fight another day!!!

I REALLY hope he's FP11 - although if he's not I actually would prefer a Mii fighter over nothing since the game is finishing after FP11.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I honestly think it's down to either Ryu Hayabusa or Resident Evil for the last slot. Yes I know RE had 4 spirits, but with no Mii outfits for Jill/Leon/Chris and no Capcom character in the DLC it's suspicious.

I'm leaning toward Ryu Hayabusa though...because Koei has nothing.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman

All I can say is that I hope so but it’s really hard to say that maybe Nintendo wasn’t interested in giving KOEI TECMO a character at all in the end or maybe it is happening and they just saved him for last like Wonder Smash said, I don’t know it’s really hard for me to tell at this point. I am very happy that Dante, Shantae, and Dovahkiin fans were able to get representation in Smash, and I still hope that somehow Ryu Hayabusa makes it into the game somehow in the end, whether that be a Mii costume or Spirit Event or best case scenario as a fighter. But I honestly don’t know who it could be another SEGA rep is possible, I don’t think it’s CAPCOM after Dante since Dante was the most requested CAPCOM rep and not too mention the fact that CAPCOM and SEGA already have THREE reps already. I know I’ve said this a lot but I’d much rather have a company that doesn’t have a lot of content in Smash to join the battle rather than companies that already have a lot of characters in Smash already. Like BANDAI NAMCO for example, a second BANDAI NAMCO character has been long overdue, same with a KOEI TECMO rep since, you know, they have NONE. So in my heart of hearts I still hope that we see Ryu Hayabusa before the end of all of this as that would be so cool and a perfect way to end Smash Ultimate, but since it’s only 1 more fighter it could legitimately be anyone, first party or otherwise. Even so I’d like to thank Mr. Sakurai for bringing together all of these gaming icons, it’s been a wild ride!
1CAD71B8-6483-41F7-841A-040B07B794A3.jpeg

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Let's look at this, we're down to the last fighter.

In all this time from 2018-2021 and two fighter passes:

• No Ryu Hayabusa Mii outfit
  • No Ninja Gaiden spirits, or anything from Koei/Tecmo besides Fatal Frame which Nintendo co-owned

- Koei just developed Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity for Nintendo, worked on Fire Emblem Three Houses before that, and then Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors 1 before that. They have a long history of working with Nintendo dating back to the Wii-U (and prior)

- Ninja Gaiden is both a classic NES icon and modern character at the same time. For the most part Ninja Gaiden as a franchise ticks all the boxes of a franchise both Sakurai and Nintendo would highly consider for Smash. It's literally the right kind of character you always see in Smash.

So what is holding him back? As far as I can tell, nothing. We have had recent interviews with developers saying they're, "waiting for their invitation" but it does read as not a hard deconfirm but they can't say one way or the other.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately I don’t think an M rated character can happen at this point because I’m pretty sure that they can’t use the M series logo in the Mr. Sakurai Presents video since they would want to keep that E10+ - T and not M. There is no problem doing that in a regular Nintendo Direct cuz that’s always going to show E 10+ - M but in Mr. Sakurai presents? No

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Unfortunately I don’t think an M rated character can happen at this point because I’m pretty sure that they can’t use the M series logo in the Mr. Sakurai Presents video since they would want to keep that E10+ - T and not M. There is no problem doing that in a regular Nintendo Direct cuz that’s always going to show E 10+ - M but in Mr. Sakurai presents? No
I wonder if they could work around that by using the NES logo, as those games are rated E by the ESRB:

1624911560029.png

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Would be weird seeing “Ninja Gaiden is rated E by the ESRB” after the gory pattern the series has followed since 2004.

Still I hope that’d mean his retro blue kimono from the original games would be established as the default outfit.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Okay. I know I said I was leaving due to stress, but I just couldn't help but comment on the Kazuya Presentation from earlier today...

It was AMAZING! I can't believe they were able to implement Kazuya's moveset into Smash! He looks quite fun, and I'm SO happy that we're getting a ton of Tekken songs with Mishima Dojo, including most of personal favorites like Moonlit Wilderness, Abyss of Time, Plucking Tulips and a remix of Karma/Electric Fountain!

And best of all, SHANTAE"S COMING AT LONG LAST!! 😍 Her Mii costume actually looks pretty great, and I'm so glad that it's coming with Neo Burning Town as a bonus track! That was my best case scenario if Shantae wound up as a Mii costume instead of a fighter! Thank you so much Sakurai, Nintendo and Bandai Namco! 😊

Yeah but still, at least stick around until the last character is revealed.
I'll think about it. After the presentation today, I've got a good feeling about Ryu Hayabusa again. I can't believe he's avoided the Mii treatment for this long.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Would be weird seeing “Ninja Gaiden is rated E by the ESRB” after the gory pattern the series has followed since 2004.

Still I hope that’d mean his retro blue kimono from the original games would be established as the default outfit.
if it’s Rated E then they usually don’t say it

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
if it’s Rated E then they usually don’t say it
Ah okay. Makes sense, I guess.

I only don’t get is why they became so stingy with age ratings all of a sudden. It’d be pretty stupid if this means they’ll be dismissing M-rated characters from now on (like Ryu Hayabusa, Conker, Doomguy, etc) when we already have Snake, Joker and even freaking Bayonetta.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Okay, so after my last couple of messages and thinking on it for s few days, I've decided to come back. However, I'm only going to follow the Ryu Hayabusa forum from this point on. Maybe I'll be a whole let less stressed out this way. But that said, I likely won't be on here a whole lot for the summer. Not just because future Smash news is likely really far off, but also because I'm entering the busiest time at my job. I'll do my best to stay up to date, but you might not hear from me from time to time.

That said, go Ryu Hayabusa for Smash! I still hope you get the final spot!

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

I think the original logo goes well with the more recent games.

W_Ryu Hayabusa4.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I think the original logo goes well with the more recent games.

View attachment 321453
Well if they’re going with representation from the new games, even if it’s minimal, then they’re pretty much forced to add the M-rating warning (assuming that they’re still fine with adding characters from M-rated series, that is).
The Shantae Mii costume for example had to come with the T-rating warning just cuz of the song coming from one of her games with that age rating.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Well if they’re going with representation from the new games, even if it’s minimal, then they’re pretty much forced to add the M-rating warning (assuming that they’re still fine with adding characters from M-rated series, that is).
The Shantae Mii costume for example had to come with the T-rating warning just cuz of the song coming from one of her games with that age rating.
Not sure if that's really the way it works. I thought it was just involving logos.

Also, what happened about the Switch getting its own version of the Master Collection?

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Tha
Not sure if that's really the way it works. I thought it was just involving logos.

Also, what happened about the Switch getting its own version of the Master Collection?
Thats still a theory a friend and I are thinking could hold water but it remains too be seen if it will happen

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
Curious about this, because been thinking about it myself alot. If Hayabusa isnt in, would you hope for a Mii Costume or not?

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Curious about this, because been thinking about it myself alot. If Hayabusa isnt in, would you hope for a Mii Costume or not?
At this point, I wouldn't mind. Since Hayabusa is the only character I'm hoping for now though, I'm still pulling for him to get the last DLC character spot. But considering how much Ultimate has given me as a video game fan, I couldn't be too mad if he winds up not happening and just becomes a Mii costume instead either. I think the only way I'd be bummed is if Hayabusa doesn't show up in anyway at all in the game (i.e. fighter, Mii costume, or even a spirit event).

Last edited:

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I wouldn't mind. Since Hayabusa is the only character I'm hoping for now though, I'm still pulling for him to get the last DLC character spot. But considering how much Ultimate has given me as a video game fan, I couldn't be too mad if he winds up not happening and just becomes a Mii costume instead either. I think the only way I'd be bummed is if Hayabusa doesn't show up in anyway at all in the game (i.e. fighter, Mii costume, or even a spirit event).
I get this mindset. While I hope he is a fighter, I would be happy as well with a Mii costume (Since I like playing miis anyways). Just hope there is something, but since Dante and Shantae was added, it feels like they know what people wanting and just giving us something.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, that would be better than nothing.

Though, I do feel that making him a Mii costume is like a slap in the face to a company that's worked so closely with Nintendo all these years.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So this isn't Ryu related, but I decided to bring this up since there doesn't seem to be a page dedicated to Kasumi from Dead or Alive on Smashboards, and I would like to get everybody's thoughts on this.

If, on the off chance somehow, we get Kasumi instead of Ryu Hayabusa, they would obviously have to either edit her classic outfit to be less revealing, like they did with Pyra and Mythra (Which still look good despite being censored, honestly), or put her in one of her less-revealing outfits like her DOA5 Night Sakura or DOA6 bodysuit outfits. Personally, I prefer her original outfits from the first 4 games, but I also know that it's not exactly "Good boys and girls" material. Then I found this image on Google Images. Honestly, if the Smash team did something similar to this image, I think Kasumi could be appropriate for Smash while still looking pretty sexy.

What do you all think?
1625517324004.png

Top Bottom