• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ryu Hayabusa is one of this characters that makes so much sense that it won't happen kind of deals. Sorry guys.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Sad thing is if there was a Fighters Pass 3 he'd probably be one of the most likely characters but with only 1 slot left it's really not looking good.

We really needed one more round of 5-6 more characters. :/

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
My current, kind of rambly thoughts:

I don’t really love Tekken, it’s far from my favorite fighting game, but I’m still really excited to play Kazuya. Honestly, it was cool just to be surprised. Literally nobody was talking about Tekken getting into Smash thanks to the Heihachi Mii costume, but here we are. And Tekken definitely deserves it. Tekken is arguably bigger than KoF and Street Fighter, so having it in Smash just feels right.

At this point, with only one slot left, it’s best not to expect anything. Admittedly, I’m one of those weirdos who believes that there is still a decent chance for a third fighters pass, but I say that knowing that it’s best not to give my hopes up. I’m prepared for us to only get one more character, and with that in mind, I’m sure I’ll be satisfied with whoever it is. I’m happy enough with what we have already, so I’ll find it difficult to be disappointed by anything. I kinda just hope the last character is a surprise, which I’m sure it will be since every character so far has been surprising in some way!

Of course, I’m really rooting for Hayabusa, and I think that his chances are still decent. FP2 still doesn’t have an NES character, or a platforming character (which Ryu technically is) and Hayabusa could fit both of those niches. Plus, this fighters pass has been full of characters who have kind of felt like they should already be here. ARMS and Xeno 2 were two of the Switch’s biggest releases that were passed up for base game, Minecraft is the biggest game ever, Sephiroth is probably the most famous non-Nintendo villain, and Tekken is probably the most important fighting game that didn’t already have a fighter. Right now, Hayabusa is the biggest NES icon missing from Smash and Koei Tecmo is easily the most important Japanese company without a playable character in Smash (this E3 only made that more clear). Plus, most people have dismissed Ryu as a possibility, and judging by the way this pass has gone, that’s probably a good thing lol

Anyway, that’s enough rambling for today. Time to go slay Doku.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Is that supposed to make sense?
My point is that the character is probably one of the best possible inclusions for Smash. I definitely want Ryu in the game. He is an icon. However, it seems like Sakurai has focused more on surprise picks vs. the picks that would make total sense and make the fanbase most happy.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
As much as I love Hayabusa to be FP#11, it is healthy to acknowledge that some just don't make the cut. There are a lot of characters with legacy and fans (Crash, Lara Croft, Chrono, Arle, Hayabusa, Adol from Ys, etc.) but we only have one more proposed slot and it's a possibility that it might be a promotional 1st party (Pokemon or something) or another 3rd party character. Cross your fingers but don't put too much stock in it since Smash is such a wild card.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It's still a possibility that Hayabusa could be that last character, so as I said before, let's just wait and see.

My point is that the character is probably one of the best possible inclusions for Smash. I definitely want Ryu in the game. He is an icon. However, it seems like Sakurai has focused more on surprise picks vs. the picks that would make total sense and make the fanbase most happy.
This roster has characters that fit both of those, so I don't see how that's against Hayabusa.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hayabusa is just a matter of time character - he'll get in Smash one day, even if it's not for Ultimate. Same thing I have been saying about Simon Belmont and Mega Man since Brawl.

volbound1700

Smash Master
As I stated, Ryu Hayabusa checks all of the boxes.

Nostalgic NES character
Popular in the West
Popular in Japan
Iconic Franchise
Great move set Potential

It is totally confusing to me that he ISN'T in the game yet. Far better pick than Joker, Byleth, Mythra/Pyra, Terry, etc.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Also now with the Ninja Gaiden collection, every single one of his games are on a Nintendo console for the first time.

Ninja Gaiden 1, 2 and 3 were all on the NES and they were all on the Wii Virtual Console. (I'm not sure if they all came out on the Wii-U Virtual Console besides the first)

Ninja Gaiden 1, 2 and 3 are now on Switch

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Blade was also an exclusive game to the DS.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I really wish they would age the entire NES trilogy to Switch online...

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
While I love Ryu Hayabusa admittedly the fact that we have one fighter left kind of makes it hard for me to think that he's coming, but hey who knows stranger things have happened, I never thought that we'd get another BANDAI NAMCO rep (let alone a TEKKEN rep) but here we are, but its just really hard to say who the final fighter is. If there was another pass then all would be well for Ryu but at the moment, it just doesn't seem that Nintendo is interested in putting him in, that being said Yuri Kozukata is here and I have said that if she is too be the KOEI TECMO rep then that is fine as I like Yuri as well. So we will see what happens and whoever the last fighter is, I welcome them with open arms (EXCEPT FOR FORTNITE)
2021032523325400_s.jpg

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Well shoot... Things have kind of gone a little south in most of the other forums I frequent after Kazuya broke all of their hearts (too much negative energy for my liking). Do you all mind if I hide here for a while, lol? At this point, Ryu is probably the only character left that I'm rooting for now that also make sense for Ultimate, especially now that the chances for Crash, Shantae, Lloyd and Yuri have all taken a nosedive.

Maybe I'll root for Kasumi too. Just because she and Ryu both share a history and Koei Tecmo is still deserving of a fighter.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I made a thing

This is pretty cool! I think the only thing I'd change is that I'd swap Kasumi and Ayane's spirit levels as I feel that makes more sense. Sky City Tokyo would be an amazing stage for Hayabusa, and I hope that it would come with LOTS more than just 11 songs, from both Classic and Modern Ninja Gaiden as well as Dead or Alive.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
This is pretty cool! I think the only thing I'd change is that I'd swap Kasumi and Ayane's spirit levels as I feel that makes more sense. Sky City Tokyo would be an amazing stage for Hayabusa, and I hope that it would come with LOTS more than just 11 songs, from both Classic and Modern Ninja Gaiden as well as Dead or Alive.
Yeah, I had a ton more songs I wanted to include, but the standard number for our "All Content" videos is 11. I didn't even have "Alma Awakened" on that list, even though we used it when showing off the Mii costumes. Speaking of, if I added another costume there it would have been Kasumi, but I I wanted to cap that off at 4.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You know, I got a question; was it said that Sakurai played Fire Emblem Three Houses before revealing Byleth?

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
But where did he play it? Was it at the Koei Tecmo office?
If you checked the Byleth presentation, he doesn't state where he played it, just that he had got access to an earlier version to play for study.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So I only just noticed that Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water is being re-released not only on Switch, like I originally thought, but also PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox X and PC. So I guess this means that Nintendo doesn't co-own Fatal Frame with Koei Tecmo anymore?

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
So I only just noticed that Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water is being re-released not only on Switch, like I originally thought, but also PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox X and PC. So I guess this means that Nintendo doesn't co-own Fatal Frame with Koei Tecmo anymore?
I think it's more like Nintendo gave permission to Koei Tecmo to published the game on multiple platforms just like PlatinumGames with Wonderful 101. Gives me hope that Bayonetta 3 and even 2 could be ported to stronger platforms than Switch in the future.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Yeah basically what iMACobra stated, Nintendo most likely gave KOEI TECMO permission to release them on PS4/PS5 and XBOX One/XBOX SERIES X, and PC, Yuri Kozukata is still a Nintendo and KOEI TECMO character, but I am so happy she is back (and also surprised I did not see that announcement coming!)
2021031623304300_s.jpg

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I got another question; would announcing Hayabusa at E3 have been too obvious?

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Even tho I’m not a fan of the enemy designs, the new Metroid game looks sick and really gives a nostalgic feeling. Makes me wish KT would be up to create a new 2D Ninja Gaiden game too.

I got another question; would announcing Hayabusa at E3 have been too obvious?
Ehh, it’s practically as obvious as Hero or Banjo.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Even tho I’m not a fan of the enemy designs, the new Metroid game looks sick and really gives a nostalgic feeling. Makes me wish KT would be up to create a new 2D Ninja Gaiden game too.

Ehh, it’s practically as obvious as Hero or Banjo.
I don't see how that's the case. They were both announced at E3 but that's it. I don't see how Hayabusa is like them.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I don't see how that's the case. They were both announced at E3 but that's it. I don't see how Hayabusa is like them.
Well like Ryu Hayabusa, they were both heavily speculated during those times, and that didn’t stop Nintendo from revealing both on an E3 Direct.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Well like Ryu Hayabusa, they were both heavily speculated during those times, and that didn’t stop Nintendo from revealing both on an E3 Direct.
They may have been speculated but that didn't make them obvious characters, especially in Banjo's case.

Hero was being talked about a lot but I don't think he really had much leading up to his appearance (besides maybe the leak). Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition was announced earlier that same year but it wasn't released until months after Hero became playable. That's quite a larger gap than what the Master Collection had.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Ryu Hayabusa just feels like one of those "inevitable" characters even if it doesn't happen this DLC. Sakurai has slowly but surely been going through all the big Japanese franchises and games that have appeared on Nintendo consoles and repping them in Smash. Koei has yet to get anything as well.

If Hayabusa really doesn't make it this time, I do think he has a shot next Smash...even if that's 4-5 years from now. Yeah it'll be a long painful wait for the next Smash, but some of us waited 10+ years for Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo so it's better late than never.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
All I know is that whoever the next character is, if they are third party then they will most likely be from a Japanese Developer, but they could also be a first party Nintendo rep too

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I still have high hopes that it's Hayabusa. If it's not, then oh well. I'll be disappointed but I won't go crazy.

But I would like an answer from either Nintendo or Koei Tecmo because Hayabusa just makes too much sense to not be in Smash. Koei Tecmo being so close to Nintendo and yet, they don't even have a character? I think it's a valid question that should be answered.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Tbh the only competition I see is coming from a Capcom rep. Capcom has yet to get any DLC fighter in either of the fighter passes, and I find that kind of suspicious. Capcom has many big series not in Smash yet, and even though Monster Hunter isn't happening, it doesn't mean the others don't.

My guess on the final character is either Ryu Hayabusa or a Capcom rep. I think Nintendo 1st party is done for now (ARMS and Xenoblade 2 fill that), and obviously Square, Namco got their characters this go around, Konami got Castlevania in the base game and both a Bomberman and Goemon Mii outfits, and Sega got the first pass. I think any western specific character is probably unlikely.

The only big absent companies in these passes is both Capcom and Koei/Tecmo, which is why I think it's going to come down to one of them.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Tbh the only competition I see is coming from a Capcom rep. Capcom has yet to get any DLC fighter in either of the fighter passes, and I find that kind of suspicious. Capcom has many big series not in Smash yet, and even though Monster Hunter isn't happening, it doesn't mean the others don't.

My guess on the final character is either Ryu Hayabusa or a Capcom rep. I think Nintendo 1st party is done for now (ARMS and Xenoblade 2 fill that), and obviously Square, Namco got their characters this go around, Konami got Castlevania in the base game and both a Bomberman and Goemon Mii outfits, and Sega got the first pass. I think any western specific character is probably unlikely.

The only big absent companies in these passes is both Capcom and Koei/Tecmo, which is why I think it's going to come down to one of them.
I'd prefer it to be KOEI TECMO, I mean CAPCOM in my opinion already has enough content in the game, i'd much rather see KOEI TECMO get at least one rep rather than have CAPCOM get a 4th (I LOVE CAPCOM and i'm not dissing them, I just think that KOEI TECMO should get at least one character)

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

This is actually a good point.

Capcom is very generous in Crossovers in general, and now that we know minor content in Post Release doesn't mean the franchise can't expand, it means that the likes of a New Capcom rep (maybe even a Monster Hunter one) are on the table. Maybe we could even got someone from Resident Evil, or even another Mega Man character like Mega Man Zero, or SF's Chun Li.

Top Bottom