• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Hi all!! I hope everyone is doing well on here. I miss the days when Ryu seemed like a shoe-in... I honestly don't expect to see him, but some part of me still has hope.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Hi all!! I hope everyone is doing well on here. I miss the days when Ryu seemed like a shoe-in... I honestly don't expect to see him, but some part of me still has hope.
I never thought Hayabusa was a shoe in, I don't think that for any character, but it will be exciting to see who gets in, also I still feel like KOEI TECMO fans like myself aren't really losing anything because we have Yuri Kozukata, sure we may not get Hayabusa and she may be half a Nintendo character but too me at least if Ryu Hayabusa doesn't show up then she's a good choice for a KOEI TECMO rep
2021042903083000_s.jpg

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Me too, bro. After all the (fake) leaks and leakers we've heard from about Ryu being in Smash, I just hope it all actually leads to something so we aren't sitting here like, "What happened?"
I never thought Hayabusa was a shoe in, I don't think that for any character, but it will be exciting to see who gets in, also I still feel like KOEI TECMO fans like myself aren't really losing anything because we have Yuri Kozukata, sure we may not get Hayabusa and she may be half a Nintendo character but too me at least if Ryu Hayabusa doesn't show up then she's a good choice for a KOEI TECMO rep
I couldn't call myself a Koei Tecmo fan after heavenly ****ty overpriced DLC practices as Dead or Alive 5 and 6 but Fatal Frame to me is not good enough representation for Koei Tecmo since it is practically half owned by Nintendo. I just can't help but feel that Koei Tecmo doesn't want any of their original content in Smash unless it is co-owned by someone else; see Fatal Frame, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and Persona 5 Strikers. I just hope by the end of this DLC run we get some content purely owned by Koei Tecmo so they don't feel entirely left out.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Honestly, I feel pretty good about Ryu’s chances in the grand scheme of things. There’s only two slots left, so pretty much every character is ‘highly unlikely’ all things considered, but I still feel that the points in Ryu’s favor are pretty damn strong. Ninja Gaiden is still a stand out series with a ton of history with Nintendo and KT is easily the most noteworthy company without a character in Smash given their importance to gaming and connection to Nintendo, which has grown exponentially as of late.

There’s also pretty much no other character with as much support from leakers as Ryu. A potential KT rep is one of the few Vergeben leaks that has yet to come true and Imran Khan, who has had a pretty decent track record, has spoken highly of Ryu’s chances on multiple occasions. Plus, there are a few circumstantial things that are lining up pretty nicely. The Master Collection is releasing the Thursday right before the E3 direct, making it a perfect game to promote. And FP2 still hasn’t received any real “retro” characters yet, which is pretty interesting. There’s been a lot of new faces, with Sephiroth as the only character who could possibly be considered retro. I think that there’s definitely space for “NES rep,” like Simon in the base game and Erdrick in FP1.

I understand why the interviews make people feel doubtful, but they really don’t phase me all that much. If Hayabusa is in Smash, and Yasuda is under some kind of NDA, then his only options when asked about Hayabusa in Smash is to either lie, or give some vague non-answer. I don’t think it’s unbelievable that he would say Ryu isn’t in Smash to throw people off the trail. I’m not saying it’s likely, but it’s perfectly possible.

Anyways, I don’t wanna give everyone’s hopes up or anything. Like I said, literally every character is ‘unlikely’ when you get down to it. But if I had to bet on anyone, I’m still betting on Ryu. I really think that he has what it takes.

Me rn:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I still have hope. Not expecting anything but still have a lot of hope.

I just don't believe that Koei Tecmo would pass up an opportunity to have their character in Smash. That and Nintendo never even contacting them about it. They work too close for that. The fact that there are some Koei Tecmo content in the game shows that some talks did happen in regards to Smash but never about a character? Or anything completely owned by them? That would be just too strange to happen. That's why with two slots left and with the Master Collection coming out, I still believe there's hope for Hayabusa.

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Posted this on the Crash Bandicoot thread, but I'll post here too. If it's like E3 2019 and we get a double reveal, then I imagine they will first show a Japanese-centric character like Ryu Hayabusa then a Western character like Crash.

TheBKFAN

Smash Cadet
Posted this on the Crash Bandicoot thread, but I'll post here too. If it's like E3 2019 and we get a double reveal, then I imagine they will first show a Japanese-centric character like Ryu Hayabusa then a Western character like Crash.
I really keep hoping for this. I think those two are the best case scenario and really help round out Smash as a "History of Nintendo" game. With Hayabusa being one of the last NES legacy characters and Crash representing Nintendo's rivalry with Sony without actually being a Sony character.

TheBKFAN

Smash Cadet
So apparently The Nintendo Direct takes place on Ryu Hayabusa's in-game birthday. Obviously this means nothing. But come on Nintendo! Now you have to reveal him! Are you really gonna upset the man on his Birthday!?

QQS

Smash Lord
Ryu Hayabusa and then Crash would be perfection :’)

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
So apparently The Nintendo Direct takes place on Ryu Hayabusa's in-game birthday. Obviously this means nothing. But come on Nintendo! Now you have to reveal him! Are you really gonna upset the man on his Birthday!?

Holy hell, that would be quite the coincidence. Now there will be fake leaks leading up to Nintendo's E3 Direct about it. :p

TheBKFAN

Smash Cadet
Holy hell, that would be quite the coincidence. Now there will be fake leaks leading up to Nintendo's E3 Direct about it. :p
Haha well... I did share it a couple of places so you never know! I originally saw someone mentioned it in the YouTube comments of this video. But I just think it's a fun discussion piece to pass the time until E3. Haha

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

Hayabusa receiving a Smash invite as a Birthday present? How nice that would be of Nintendo! 😁

TheBKFAN

Smash Cadet
First off, Z ZealousGamer I'm glad you had a Happy Birthday! :)

So, just further going down the rabbit hole of this whole Hayabusa Birthday thing. I didn't even realize this but the official Dead or Alive Twitter account has been making "Birthday Posts" about each of the character's in game birthday throughout all of 2020 into 2021. Really, they started in 2019 but it doesn't seem like it was as consistent. Now, I don't think something like this could be planned out that far in advance because we didn't even know if E3 was happening this year. But could you imagine if Hayabusa gets revealed and then they get to post "Happy Birthday Hayabusa" but he's in Smash instead of DOA? I think that would be really really neat! Obviously this doesn't ACTUALLY mean anything. But would be neat nonetheless.

Hitomi for example:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Man, I can't decide on who I want to predict to be revealed on Tuesday! I originally said Crash Bandicoot and Yuri Lowell in the Crash, Lloyd and Yuri forums, but now I just don't know who I want to root for anymore! I've changed my mind so many times that I've just become so indecisive on the matter.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Man, I can't decide on who I want to predict to be revealed on Tuesday! I originally said Crash Bandicoot and Yuri Lowell in the Crash, Lloyd and Yuri forums, but now I just don't know who I want to root for anymore! I've changed my mind so many times that I've just become so indecisive on the matter.
I just wait to see who is revealed but dread it being a Pokemon.

TheBKFAN

Smash Cadet
Obviously I'm biased because I'm here in the Ryu Hayabusa topic.. But for me, what takes a character to another level is not only repping a new series but representing a new company as well. Bandai Namco could use more reps for sure but their most iconic character is already in. I just want this to be the biggest celebration of gaming as possible and I think Koei-Tecmo not getting a rep would be a blind spot. Especially when the game is mostly focused on Japanese companies. Crash for me does represent that Nintendo/Sega/Sony rivalry of the 90s. I just think he's a big character that really belongs in that banner.

Also of course I have a personal interest in Crash Bandicoot and Ninja Gaiden so that sways me as well. Admittedly I haven't given Tales a try but I would put these arguments up against any character right now.

Edit: I said "Have" but meant to say "Haven't" when referring to the Tales series. Fixed now!

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Since the Master Collection has already released in other parts of the world and is releasing on Steam soon, good luck to any new players or welcome back to anyone that wants to relive Ninja Gaiden in higher definition! Hope you all can achieve the hard and grueling path of the Master Ninja!

ryu-hayabusa-feature.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I mean sure I’m glad to see the Ninja Gaiden series getting modern releases, but I can’t really say I’m excited for the Master Collection since gory hack ‘n slash games have never really been my thing tbh.

So where do you guys see the dragon ninjas chances at next weeks E3 at this point?
50/50 take it or leave it.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So where do you guys see the dragon ninjas chances at next weeks E3 at this point?
I’m honestly feeling pretty good. There’s a reason he’s been one of the most discussed characters ever since FP1. Koei Tecmo really deserves something, and so far all of their content in Smash is stuff that is either co-owned, or fully owned by a different company. It’s weird that we haven’t even gotten so much as a spirit event/Mii costume/music track from DoA, Ninja Gaiden, or Warriors, especially when you consider that P5 Strikers, Hyrule Warriors, Three Houses, and many other games that they developed already have content.

And even without Nintendo’s close relationship with KT, Ryu Hayabusa is exactly the type of character that Sakurai would want to add. He has an important legacy spanning all the way back to the NES, he would make a perfect follow up to Mega Man and Simon, he’s a ninja (which Sakurai clearly has an affinity for), and he likely did pretty well on the Smash ballot. His inclusion has always felt like a matter of time, and considering Master Collection is dropping less than a week before E3, I feel like that time is now.

Of course, I still don’t want to call him likely because there are quite a few characters who also have a ton going for them and who also feel like “a matter of time.” But like I’ve said before, if I had to bet on anyone, it would be Hayabusa. I just believe that he’s on another level.

TheBKFAN

Smash Cadet
One thing we have to hold our breath for is Friday. If we get a Ninja Gaiden Master Collection Spirit Event then it's over. So hold onto your butts everybody this could be devastating for Hayabusa fans.

Top Bottom