• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So I know I've done this before, including a few days ago on the Yuri Lowell page, but I think I'm gonna make a final prediction for Challenger Pack 10. I'm gonna go with Ryu Hayabusa as Challenger 10, and that he's gonna come with the Lloyd Irving Mii Swordfighter costume. I know I've made this prediction before, and even gone back on it a couple of times, but I feel like this combination just makes the most sense. Hopefully, I won't be wrong in my predictions for a seventh straight time 🤞🤞

Oh, and hopefully Ryu can come with content from not only classic and modern Ninja Gaiden, but Dead or Alive, Nioh and Fatal Frame too.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I really want Ryu Hayabusa too, I know this isnt entirely accurate in any way, but the character names that have been leaked all the way in 2018 to 2019 from various insiders, like Steve, Sephiroth, Hero, Banjo, and Terry were all heard way back when and ARMS and XenoBlade Chronicles 2 were planned but scrapped due to time constraints but then achieved in this pass so in retrospect those two we should've seen coming. Ryu Hayabusa is the last legitimate name heard by insiders that has NOT happened yet which I hope that that changes before the DLC cycle ends. As I've said before I don't see Crash happening, there isn't really any evidence to show that Crash is happening and while a character doesn't need evidence for them to show up, I feel as though everyone is expecting Crash because its Crash and that they kinda forget that ACTIVITSION as a company sucks (I mean they wouldn't even let Amazon do a show about him) and when it comes to Master Chief, we already got Steve so...no I don't really see why people are thinking Chief. I am in NO WAY against Crash or Master Chief in Smash, I would scream of happiness but I just don't see it cuz with Banjo it was different, he and Hero was leaked to death so there was no other prediction too make, it had to be them, but Crash or Master Chief just don't have that so I'm not really counting on them. Ryu Hayabusa on the other hand DOES have leaks surrounding him but I don't think that he's entirely a lock either but he definitely in at least my opinion, has a better shot than Crash and Master Chief (Also if the Lloyd Mii is the one missing here and with Mii Costume theory 100% being real, yeah Hayabusa would be the one that fits that bill the best in my opinion.)

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I really want Ryu Hayabusa too, I know this isnt entirely accurate in any way, but the character names that have been leaked all the way in 2018 to 2019 from various insiders, like Steve, Sephiroth, Hero, Banjo, and Terry were all heard way back when and ARMS and XenoBlade Chronicles 2 were planned but scrapped due to time constraints but then achieved in this pass so in retrospect those two we should've seen coming. Ryu Hayabusa is the last legitimate name heard by insiders that has NOT happened yet which I hope that that changes before the DLC cycle ends. As I've said before I don't see Crash happening, there isn't really any evidence to show that Crash is happening and while a character doesn't need evidence for them to show up, I feel as though everyone is expecting Crash because its Crash and that they kinda forget that ACTIVITSION as a company sucks (I mean they wouldn't even let Amazon do a show about him) and when it comes to Master Chief, we already got Steve so...no I don't really see why people are thinking Chief. I am in NO WAY against Crash or Master Chief in Smash, I would scream of happiness but I just don't see it cuz with Banjo it was different, he and Hero was leaked to death so there was no other prediction too make, it had to be them, but Crash or Master Chief just don't have that so I'm not really counting on them. Ryu Hayabusa on the other hand DOES have leaks surrounding him but I don't think that he's entirely a lock either but he definitely in at least my opinion, has a better shot than Crash and Master Chief (Also if the Lloyd Mii is the one missing here and with Mii Costume theory 100% being real, yeah Hayabusa would be the one that fits that bill the best in my opinion.)
For Crash I feel like it's more of how much Activision seems to be pushing him and his series back into the spotlight after over a decade of mediocrity, and that it began happening around the time Smash Ultimate was revealed. The timing for both instances lined up perfectly, and that's one of the main reasons why Crash has become such a highly-requested character for Ultimate. And recently, Nintendo has been promoting Crash games pretty well, which has been getting the fans who want him in very excited that Crash might actually be coming to Smash. But we've seen plenty of instances of Nintendo marketing other 3rd Party games for the Switch that HAVEN'T led to their characters getting into Smash (Monster Hunter Rise and Bravely Default II being examples). As much as I want to see him make it in, I also don't think Crash is as guaranteed to get in like a lot of people think he is, and that's gonna lead to problems if he's revealed to not actually be coming (look at the Geno fans for reference).

As for Master Chief, as cool as the idea of he and Halo being in Smash is, I feel like a lot of people are rooting for him because of Nintendo and Microsoft's new friendship, and they want Microsoft to get a 3rd character like Sega, Square Enix, Capcom and Konami got, and he's the best choice for that. Also, there have been a few "leaks" that featured him, and those usually always create fanbases for the characters featured in them. But... I'm just not seeing it. I actually think Crash has a much better shot to get into Ultimate, and even he's not a guarantee. If he gets in though... I wouldn't mind at all since Halo 3 is my all-time favorite shooter 😊 But I feel like if we do get another western character, then we're only gonna get one more. And frankly, as much as I love Shantae and Spyro, as cool as I think Chief would be, I'm pulling for Crash to be that character.

I agree with you that Ryu Hayabusa has better stuff going for him. He's an NES icon. His modern trilogy is getting remastered and is coming to Switch next month. Nintendo and Koei Tecmo have a great working relationship and there's not much Tecmo stuff in Ultimate currently, and suspiciously, the links to pre-order the Master Collection for Switch currently aren't available until some time this month, while the links for the PS4, Xbox One and PC preorders are there. And so on. While he's still not a guarantee, I feel like Hayabusa's chances are better than Crash's or Chief's.

I'd also argue that Tales of has a good chance of showing up as DLC since a Japanese leak from back in 2018 talked in depth about plans for base game that not only lined up with stuff that Sakurai had discussed (such ARMS and Xenoblade 2 characters being considered), but also plans that either hadn't happened yet, or eventually came later as DLC (Hero, Steve and Sephiroth). Two of the characters mentioned on that leak who were considered for base game were both Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell, neither of which we've seen yet. And because Tales of Arise comes out in September, making the series relevant this year, AND because Fighter Pass 2 seems to be a Pass of mostly bringing in ideas considered for base game (Min Min and Pyra/Mythra missing out on base game, Steve being negotiated for 5 years (around the time Ultimate's roster was finalized), and Sephiroth bringing in the much-desired additional music and spirits from FFVII), I think we should consider the possibility that we could get either Lloyd or Yuri (or even both) as the Tales of character.

In closing, I think both Tales of and Ryu Hayabusa have similar chances of making it into Ultimate, that Crash and Master Chief don't necessarily have. Also it would've probably been easier for Sakurai to negotiate with Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo, than Activision. Especially if the stories about Activision being difficult to work and negotiate with are true and that may cause problems for Crash getting in Smash.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Doom Slayer is the only FPS character I support for Smash. I'd be very confused and disappointed if they chose Master Chief over him.

But yeah, Ryu Hayabusa still has so much going for him. Out of all the characters I want or support, he's the only one that I think has a good chance. I really hope he makes it in.

I guess we're all so anxious to see who the next DLC characters will be.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Really? Duke Nukem is a logical pick? I don't see that at all...
Duke Nukem 3D is oftenly considered responsible for popularizing the FPS genre along with Doom and Wolfenstein 3D. Plus his series has a good amount of history on Nintendo consoles, specially when compared to someone like Master Chief.

But that’s just my 2 cents on the matter.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Really weird that the Switch version still isn’t available for pre-order. I already felt it was strange how it was being held back until May, but now we’re over halfway through the month with the game releasing in under 3 weeks. That’s cutting it pretty close for seemingly no reason. Any guesses as to why this might be?
C84A92CC-02B2-439E-8E16-F85FF413C14C.jpeg

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Really weird that the Switch version still isn’t available for pre-order. I already felt it was strange how it was being held back until May, but now we’re over halfway through the month with the game releasing in under 3 weeks. That’s cutting it pretty close for seemingly no reason. Any guesses as to why this might be?
View attachment 315987
Yeah, they've only got about 2 more weeks before May is over. And I don't even know why they held off on Switch pre-orders for this long anyway.

What are Koei Tecmo doing?

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
NINJA GAIDEN: Master Collection is now available on Nintendo Switch! This summer is revving up to be a fun one for gaming. Can't wait to solve some murders with the Club, Tee off against friends while also pushing them around on the fairway, and izuna drop fiends and baddies as I make my way around the world as the Ultimate Ninja! https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/1395635472257458176?s=20 Also the copyright statement on the Nintendo Switch version of the game has been updated too say "©KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD. All rights reserved" instead of the lengthy one they had before where they said "NINJA GAIDEN, Team NINJA, and the Team NINJA logo are all registered trademarks of KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD." Why do I bring this up? Because as I am now saying for the billionth time probably, If Ryu Hayabusa does make it into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate I bet you the copyright will be ©KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD. No doubt
Screenshot (15).png

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
NINJA GAIDEN: Master Collection is now available on Nintendo Switch! This summer is revving up to be a fun one for gaming. Can't wait to solve some murders with the Club, Tee off against friends while also pushing them around on the fairway, and izuna drop fiends and baddies as I make my way around the world as the Ultimate Ninja! https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/1395635472257458176?s=20
You mean it's now available for pre-order on Switch. Still a damn shame that the West isn't getting a physical release. Although, I've already pre-ordered a physical import from Play-Asia since it will have English language option anyway.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
You mean it's now available for pre-order on Switch. Still a damn shame that the West isn't getting a physical release. Although, I've already pre-ordered a physical import from Play-Asia since it will have English language option anyway.
Right I meant that pre order is available my bad

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There’s rumors that Limited Run picked it up for our region so while it won’t be at launch we’ll probably get it eventually.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
There’s rumors that Limited Run picked it up for our region so while it won’t be at launch we’ll probably get it eventually.
Ah, I see... Hopefully we can get that then, then I may just cancel my pre-order and just wait for that... Or get it on Steam instead for the possible 1080p-4K resolution...

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Also for those hoping that Ryu Hayabusa should be revealed alongside the NINJA GAIDEN: Master Collection, I should say that that doesn't have to happen Ryu Hayabusa can still be announced for Smash regardless of what's going on with the collection

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So I checked the Master Collection's main site and, sure enough, the Switch pre-order links are now there. It makes me wonder why they held off on them for so long when the PS4, Xbox and Steam links were available from the get-go.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
So I checked the Master Collection's main site and, sure enough, the Switch pre-order links are now there. It makes me wonder why they held off on them for so long when the PS4, Xbox and Steam links were available from the get-go.
I dunno about the others but Steam's isn't even available for pre-order, there're even 3 separate Steam pages for each game in the collection and you can only get a 10% discount within a week AFTER the game launches so it's really weird on that front as well.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Well not with Ryu Hayabusa specifically but KOEI TECMO and Team NINJA will be at E3 with FINAL FANTASY Origin and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity DLC https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1396855668355780611?s=21
Well, that's... interesting. I wouldn't mind playing it since I loved Nioh 2 on Steam but I really hope Team Ninja gets the chance to work on a new Ninja Gaiden soon if Master Collection is a commercial success.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Things have been kinda quiet here, huh? I guess the preorder hold off for the Switch version of the Master Collection was the last thing that could've pointed in Ryu Hayabusa's direction for a Smash reveal... I'm still hopeful, but... yeah, this situation still kinda blows.

Last edited:

TheBKFAN

Smash Cadet
Things have been kinda quiet here, huh? I guess the preorder hold off for the Switch version of the Master Collection was the last thing that could've pointed in Ryu Hayabusa's direction for a Smash reveal... I'm still hopeful, but... yeah, this situation still kinda blows.
E3 cannot get here soon enough. I just want to know! Best case scenario for me is a double reveal with Hayabusa at the beginning of the Direct and Crash near the end. Not banking on it, but I can only dream.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I never saw that as a direct relation to Hayabusa being in Smash. Just that there's definitely something going on behind that with Nintendo and Koei Tecmo.

But yeah, it's been quiet. All there's left to do now is just wait until E3.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
E3 cannot get here soon enough. I just want to know! Best case scenario for me is a double reveal with Hayabusa at the beginning of the Direct and Crash near the end. Not banking on it, but I can only dream.
That would be amazing! At this point any mixture of Crash, Ryu, Lloyd Irving, Yuri Lowell, Master Chief and Shantae would make me SUPER happy. Unfortunately, I don't think most of these characters are likely at this point. Or at the very least, not as likely as I once thought... Ryu included 😟

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So I've been playing Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate and I just got to the part with Hayabusa. When Unbreakable Determination started playing that got me hyped and Hayabusa got such a cool entrance. You know I'll be keeping him in my party as much as possible.

TheBKFAN

Smash Cadet
That would be amazing! At this point any mixture of Crash, Ryu, Lloyd Irving, Yuri Lowell, Master Chief and Shantae would make me SUPER happy. Unfortunately, I don't think most of these characters are likely at this point. Or at the very least, not as likely as I once thought... Ryu included 😟
I'm optimistic, but trying to brace myself. I think some of those have a great shot! We'll see soon enough!

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
New PapaGenos vid dropped yesterday, for anyone who’s interested. Personally, I always enjoy his stuff. They’re pretty pleasant to watch/listen to and he does a good job at cutting right to the chase and only discussing things that are interesting or noteworthy in some way.

Though briefly, he discusses Hayabusa a bit in this one. He notes the theory that E3 might be a double reveal featuring both a Western and Eastern centric character, and he uses Master Chief and Hayabusa as an example. It’s cool to see someone still take Hayabusa seriously, as so many people on these boards have dismissed him entirely thanks to the interviews.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
New PapaGenos vid dropped yesterday, for anyone who’s interested. Personally, I always enjoy his stuff. They’re pretty pleasant to watch/listen to and he does a good job at cutting right to the chase and only discussing things that are interesting or noteworthy in some way.

Though briefly, he discusses Hayabusa a bit in this one. He notes the theory that E3 might be a double reveal featuring both a Western and Eastern centric character, and he uses Master Chief and Hayabusa as an example. It’s cool to see someone still take Hayabusa seriously, as so many people on these boards have dismissed him entirely thanks to the interviews.
Everyone seems worried as hell about who the last 2 characters being revealed at E3 (or later) are likely to be, and videos like this, claiming that getting a potential western character alongside an eastern character might offset any backlash the latter might bring, only seems to be exacerbating those worries. Since Smash is a Japanese game, I figured it made sense for the creators to pull from mostly Japanese companies for characters. Especially if the language barrier is why Sakurai doesn't interact often with western companies other than Microsoft. But to fans, they get anxious, or even terrified, about the possibility of getting more Japanese characters, and I don't understand why. I makes me think that most people in the internet Smash community care more about who gets into the game than actually playing the game and having fun with the incredible roster we already have. And if that's actually the case, then it's no wonder everyone gets mad at every character that gets revealed...

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

It's really too bad Doom Slayer likely won't make it in. I think he would have been the perfect Western character to be revealed with Hayabusa.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I honestly never listen to that guy. His theories are stretchy as hell. Some of them are even on par with LaxChris or Blocked Content.

Tho yeah I actually think it’s a strong possibility that we’ll get the last two characters revealed at E3 (and boy do I hope so cuz the wait is killing me) with one being eastern and the other western. My big dream would be Conker and Ryu Hayabusa, tho I’m aware at how unlikely Conker is. Still Ryu would make me jump in joy for sure. Still hoping he, at the very least, has what it takes.

It's really too bad Doom Slayer likely won't make it in. I think he would have been the perfect Western character to be revealed with Hayabusa.
I think Doomguy might be in the same situation as Ryu where he was supposedly deconfirmed during an interview but we still don’t know for sure if what was said was legit or not.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I honestly never listen to that guy. His theories are stretchy as hell. Some of them are even on par with LaxChris or Blocked Content.

Tho yeah I actually think it’s a strong possibility that we’ll get the last two characters revealed at E3 (and boy do I hope so cuz the wait is killing me) with one being eastern and the other western. My big dream would be Conker and Ryu Hayabusa, tho I’m aware at how unlikely Conker is. Still Ryu would make me jump in joy for sure. Still hoping he at the very least has what it takes.

I think Doomguy might be in the same situation as Ryu where he was supposedly deconfirmed during an interview but we still don’t know what was said was legit or not.
My problem with Papagenos is that he likes to keep bringing up possible theories for Geno despite him always trying to tell himself that it's doubtful he'll happen after his Mii costume. It's like deep down, he can't let him go no matter what. He also worries way too much about Smash fans being satisfied with who gets in. And I agree that a lot of his theories are getting pretty out there.

I'm reminded of that one random GameFaqs leak that everyone latched onto for the longest time after Joker was revealed, that had Joker, Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, Steve and Doomguy on it. The idea of still somehow getting Doomguy and Ryu in the last 2 spots, after already getting Joker, Hero and Steve, and despite that leak being long-since disproven, would be really hilarious to me 🤣

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I think Doomguy might be in the same situation as Ryu where he was supposedly deconfirmed during an interview but we still don’t know for sure if what was said was legit or not.
Unfortunately, if it's not the interview that disconfirmed him (which I never believed it did anyway), it was definitely the Vault Boy costume. Unlike Koei Tecmo, Zenimax does have content that completely owned by them and with it not being in a form of a playable character, it doesn't seem like there's going to be anything more than that.

I'm just surprised at all this talk about Master Chief, though. Has anything new popped up about Halo or something that I missed?

I'm reminded of that one random GameFaqs leak that everyone latched onto for the longest time after Joker was revealed, that had Joker, Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, Steve and Doomguy on it. The idea of still somehow getting Doomguy and Ryu in the last 2 spots, after already getting Joker, Hero and Steve, and despite that leak being long-since disproven, would be really hilarious to me 🤣
Yeah, that would be something. If all those characters did make it in, you can bet some people would being will bring it up and say it was true all along. lol

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I'm just surprised at all this talk about Master Chief, though. Has anything new popped up about Halo or something that I missed?
Not really. There's the rumor about the Master Chief Collection coming to Switch that seems very unlikely, and that THAT could lead to Chief coming to Smash. But I don't think there's ever been any real proof of this happening aside from hopeful fans speculating about it. Also, I've noticed that a lot of people who're now doubtful about Crash happening are now leaning toward Master Chief as the prime western candidate for a Smash reveal at E3 (like Papagenos).

As for me? I'd be completely fine with Chief, and I've been finding myself rooting for him too. But like with Ryu, Crash and Shantae, I just don't think he's as likely as a lot of people think he is.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, if it's not the interview that disconfirmed him (which I never believed it did anyway), it was definitely the Vault Boy costume. Unlike Koei Tecmo, Zenimax does have content that completely owned by them and with it not being in a form of a playable character, it doesn't seem like there's going to be anything more than that.

If anything that goes to show that Bethesda is interested in having content from its IPs in Smash. I never saw that as damning to his chances in anyway. Can’t say the same about the interview tho.

As for Chief, I think it’s because the Halo Instagram account made some silly artwork of Mario characters dressed as Halo ones and now some people blindly think this means he’s coming. Kids these days...

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Not really. There's the rumor about the Master Chief Collection coming to Switch that seems very unlikely, and that THAT could lead to Chief coming to Smash. But I don't think there's ever been any real proof of this happening aside from hopeful fans speculating about it. Also, I've noticed that a lot of people who're now doubtful about Crash happening are now leaning toward Master Chief as the prime western candidate for a Smash reveal at E3 (like Papagenos).

As for me? I'd be completely fine with Chief, and I've been finding myself rooting for him too. But like with Ryu, Crash and Shantae, I just don't think he's as likely as a lot of people think he is.
An old rumor from years ago. Guess nothing new after all. If it does happen, I'd...probably be okay with it just as long as Master Chief appears on a Nintendo console first but it would still feel strange for them to pass up on Doomguy, a character that has been on their consoles for years ever since the SNES.

But I'm also not sure about having two Microsoft characters in one pass.

If anything that goes to show that Bethesda is interested in having content from its IPs in Smash. I never saw that as damning to his chances in anyway. Can’t say the same about the interview tho.

As for Chief, I think it’s because the Halo Instagram account made some silly artwork of Mario characters dressed as Halo ones and now some people blindly think this means he’s coming. Kids these days...
Oh yeah, they seem to be down with having their content in Smash. They even mention talking about it casually. But maybe Nintendo felt that Vault Boy's cartoon mascot design fits better with their own? That's just my guess.

And I wouldn't be surprised if that artwork did make people think that. But there also seems to be something from a leaker that said that there's going to be an announcement between Nintendo and Microsoft this fall. So of course that's going to lead to even more speculation too.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
An old rumor from years ago. Guess nothing new after all. If it does happen, I'd...probably be okay with it just as long as Master Chief appears on a Nintendo console first but it would still feel strange for them to pass up on Doomguy, a character that has been on their consoles for years ever since the SNES.

But I'm also not sure about having two Microsoft characters in one pass.

Oh yeah, they seem to be down with having their content in Smash. They even mention talking about it casually. But maybe Nintendo felt that Vault Boy's cartoon mascot design fits better with their own? That's just my guess.

And I wouldn't be surprised if that artwork did make people think that. But there also seems to be something from a leaker that said that there's going to be an announcement between Nintendo and Microsoft this fall. So of course that's going to lead to even more speculation too.
If it's just a matter of being cartoony then I'd say someone like Commander Keen would've been a far better fit than Vault Boy tbh.

And I mean it's still silly. That's like thinking Doomguy's getting in just because Bethesda posted a picture of figures of Isabelle and Doomguy walking together. Plus that announcement can mean a lot of things, to my knowledge Chief has been deconfirmed countless times already, MS never showed any interest in having Halo games losing their exclusivity to Xbox consoles, and I doubt Nintendo would have interest in having a character that (once again) has no history with the big N in a game that’s mainly about the company’s history, regardless.
Honestly, hypothetically speaking, if Chief had a rushed port just as an excuse to have him in Smash that'd be so low, specially when MS has a bundle of more logical choices for characters who have far faaaaar stronger relation to Nintendo, most notably every classic Rare icon or to a further extent Doomguy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom