• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, as I said earlier, I think Hayabusa's default look could be from the modern games while his moveset could be mostly based on the NES games. Maybe mixed with a little bit of Dead or Alive with the Izuna Drop.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I do personally think that if Ryu Hayabusa does make it in, he will mostly be based off his NES counterpart akin to Simon Belmont and Richter Belmont with some modern stuff in the form of spirits, music, or maybe stage cameos
On the contrary, I personally believe that if he was going to be in Smash Ultimate, especially as DLC, he would be mostly based off of his modern counterpart. Simon had more of a reason to be based off of his classic appearance for Smash because Konami had already been re-representing Simon in his classic appearance in games before Smash Ultimate, like Super Bomberman R in 2017 and Castevania: Grimoire of Souls in 2019. Simon's current modern appearance IS his classic appearance as far as Konami and marketing is concerned. Ryu Hayabusa though, is almost always represented in his modern appearance in Koei Tecmo's games as of late. See Dead or Alive 6 and Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate in 2019. Also, that Rise of Kingdoms collaboration you posted before represented Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. It should also be self explanatory why they are releasing a remastered modern trilogy to current platforms instead of, say, releasing all 3 NES games on NES Switch Online or NES Mini. They want to gauge interest in the modern Ninja Gaiden series. Yasuda has also recently gone on record saying he wants to work on a Ninja Gaiden sequel for Xbox as well, it should be pretty obvious he means a modern sequel.

In the end though, I always try to hold off from discussing such hypotheticals as these since they haven't happened and would prove fruitless discussing them if they never end up happening in the end anyway, such as Ryu getting into Smash, let alone the design principles Sakurai would use for him. I understand he loves to harkon back to the days of old in series' references in Smash but Koei Tecmo would undoubtedly also have a hand in how anything they own is represented including Ninja Gaiden and, with the current way Koei Tecmo and even its current developers feel about the series, I think they'd feel it'd be in their best interest to mostly represent the series how it is today especially with Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection coming out on the horizon.

Also, Ninja Gaiden isn't very popular in Japan to answer why Ryu Hayabusa possibly might not be a big Smash suggestion for them. I believe the image posted wasn't even a poll but a representative percentage of the number of times characters were mentioned positively for Smash 4 in multiple different Japanese forums, not to mention, outdated now.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I'm doing okay. How about you?
Well, I've been gone from this forum for a bit after all of the interviews that came out kinda bummed me out, and several days ago I had a huge blow-up on the Crash forum over something unrelated that got me angry, which I regret terribly, so I decided to take a break for about 5 days to chill out and get my mind straight. I think I had just got so into Smash that it started to get unhealthy for me, and I needed to take a break from it.

But I think I'm all good to go now.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Well, I've been gone from this forum a bit after all of the interviews came out kinda bummed me out, and several days ago I had a huge blow-up on the Crash forum over something unrelated that got me angry, which I regret terribly, so I decided to take a break for about 5 days to chill out and get my mind straight. I think I had just got so into Smash that it started to get unhealthy for me, and I needed to take a break from it.

But I think I'm all good to go now.
Everybody has their days. Sometimes a break from everything is all that you really need to get your head straight. Glad that you’re back!

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
That should be no surprise. An E3 reveal makes the most sense.
It just makes me wonder though, I mean they don’t have to do this but it’s something I am thinking about, the Master Collection releases on June 10th 5 days before E3 so wouldn’t it make more sense to release it on like the 17th or 18th to coincide with a Smash reveal? It doesn’t have too since the Monster Hunter Mii’s released for Monster Hunter Rise which was releasing later in the month but it is something I was thinking about

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
That should be no surprise. An E3 reveal makes the most sense.
I'm actually predicting the next presentation to be some time in the next couple of weeks. Ever since Steve came out, the developers seem to have gotten back on their original 2-month development schedule that they managed to do with Fighters Pass 1 (You've got to factor in the team likely taking off for the holidays after they finished Sephiroth, which was only about a week and a half). Since Pyra and Mythra came out March 4th, we'll be at exactly 2 months since their release next week, and if Challenger 10 is someone that isn't that complicated to make, I honestly feel like we're gonna find out who the next character is some time in the next couple of weeks!

As for Challenger 11, that will be revealed at E3, while their presentation will be some time later.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually predicting the next presentation to be some time in the next couple of weeks. Ever since Steve came out, the developers seem to have gotten back on their original 2-month development schedule that they managed to do with Fighters Pass 1 (You've got to factor in the team likely taking off for the holidays after they finished Sephiroth, which was only about a week and a half). Since Pyra and Mythra came out March 4th, we'll be at exactly 2 months since their release next week, and if Challenger 10 is someone that isn't that complicated to make, I honestly feel like we're gonna find out who the next character is some time in the next couple of weeks!

As for Challenger 11, that will be revealed at E3, while their presentation will be some time later.
Ehhh my only problem with that is that’s way too short of a period between announcements like announcing Challenger Pack 10 now and Challenger Pack 11 at E3 is just way too short of a period of time and seems very unlikely of an outcome too me, I am expecting a E3 reveal and Mr Sakurai Presents in June and A reveal and presentation in September it just makes the most sense to me to do it that way to prolong the life of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate rather than showing both at E3 or doing one in May and then one in June. It’s possible but I’m not counting on it Although I will admit the 2 month development cycle between Steve, Sephiroth, and Pyra and Mythra give me hope that “yeah something could happen this month” but since E3 is going to be a thing with Nintendo in attendance it just seems very unlikely too me that that will happen this month

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Ehhh my only problem with that is that’s way too short of a period between announcements like announcing Challenger Pack 10 now and Challenger Pack 11 at E3 is just way too short of a period of time and seems very unlikely of an outcome too me, I am expecting a E3 reveal and Mr Sakurai Presents in June and A reveal and presentation in September it just makes the most sense to me to do it that way to prolong the life of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate rather than showing both at E3 or doing one in May and then one in June. It’s possible but I’m not counting on it Although I will admit the 2 month development cycle between Steve, Sephiroth, and Pyra and Mythra give me hope that “yeah something could happen this month” but since E3 is going to be a thing with Nintendo in attendance it just seems very unlikely too me that that will happen this month
But Piranha Plant and Joker were announced only a month and some change apart. Sure, they didn't release until a few months later, and 2 months apart from each other, but it has happened before. Also, to prolong the life of Smash Ultimate? You gotta remember that Sakurai and Bandai Namco have been continually working on Smash for about a decade at this point. A lot of developers usually get a really long break after working on a major game (I mean, unless you work for companies like Activision or EA), but since about 2012, Smash has been going constantly from the beginning of Smash 4, to starting Ultimate almost immediately after Smash 4 DLC wrapped up, to today with 2 more DLC characters remaining for Ultimate. I'm sure that if they've gotten their groove back and are back on a more consistent development cycle to where they can get the last 2 characters done more efficiently, they would prefer to do that instead of prolonging it, because a bunch of people on here either haven't gotten their most-wanted character yet and wanna keep pushing things in the hopes of getting them, or their worried about what they're going to do after DLC wraps up because they feel like they can't come on here and speculate anymore. I know that sounds harsh, but it's kinda true at the same time.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It just makes me wonder though, I mean they don’t have to do this but it’s something I am thinking about, the Master Collection releases on June 10th 5 days before E3 so wouldn’t it make more sense to release it on like the 17th or 18th to coincide with a Smash reveal? It doesn’t have too since the Monster Hunter Mii’s released for Monster Hunter Rise which was releasing later in the month but it is something I was thinking about
That does make sense, I'll admit but it also makes just as much sense to announce Hayabusa while the Master Collection is already available for people who might decide to try it out if they want to learn more about the character and his series.

Let's say if there are people are not really looking forward to the collection but are looking forward to who the next Smash character will be. If that character turns out to be Hayabusa, that could lead to people becoming more interested in the collection, which, fortunately for them, will already be available for them to buy. It'd be a good way to draw new fans to the series, something that tends to happen a lot whenever a character is in Smash.

Either way, both make sense.

My thing is, would they announce a character one month before an event like E3? By that point, the gap between Pyra/Mythra's release and the next character reveal would be just like the one between Joker and both Hero and Banjo, as they were also revealed at E3 three months later. This could very well be the same thing here.

Last edited:

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
If the last two DLC characters are truly the last two, I could see something like a May reveal for #10 and then a June reveal for #11. But I personally think Nintendo will blow the last two out in their E3 presentation.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
If the last two DLC characters are truly the last two, I could see something like a May reveal for #10 and then a June reveal for #11. But I personally think Nintendo will blow the last two out in their E3 presentation.
Still doesn’t really make sense too me personally too do the last 2 at E3, it is totally possible that that’s what their gonna do given that they’ve done it before (Hero and Banjo-Kazooie) but the thing about them is that we only knew about Joker for the first Fighters Pass and that’s it we knew nobody else for like 6 months since Smash’s launch and we were promised all characters by February 2020, this pass however still says that all DLC will arrive before December 31st 2021 which kinda suggests to me that Challenger Pack 11 is coming way later in the year. So I’m expecting Challenger Pack 10 in June and Challenger Pack 11 in September most likely it just seems to be the move Nintendo is making like a reveal in May and then a reveal in June is way too short of a period for Smash news it doesn’t make any sense too do a reveal a month before E3 as Nintendo will definitely want to have Smash there (unless they do a May reveal and have some other huge Smash news like Fighters Pass VOL. 3 or something which I don’t see as the case). Also I know I made the argument earlier that they are separating the reveal between Challenger Pack 10 and 11 as much as possible (Challenger Pack 10 in June and Challenger Pack 11 in September) is because they are pretty much going too keep Ultimate alive as long as possible I still stand by that argument, even though the development of Super Smash Bros. has been going on since 2012 with the start of the development of Super Smash Bros. For Wii U & 3DS, Nintendo will definitely still prolong Smash Ultimate as long as possible for the suspense and surprise it just seems fairly obvious that that’s what’s going on here

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I just want to know because that looks like a good pose he could make in the panoramic artwork (though I think the sword would be in his right hand).
You know, it's nice that you pay attention to that sort of detail. In all official artworks and appearances I believe Ryu's always held the sword in his right hand making him a righty. It also made me realize Sephiroth is a lefty, you learn something new everyday...

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So has there been any kind of updates on the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection over the last month or so that I may have missed since I've been gone? Or any updates in regards to Ryu potentially coming to Smash after the Team Ninja interviews?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
So has there been any kind of updates on the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection over the last month or so that I may have missed since I've been gone? Or any updates in regards to Ryu potentially coming to Smash after the Team Ninja interviews?
Nothing so far.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Nothing so far.
I see. Well, I guess I could use this time to point out something I noticed recently about both Bandai Namco and SNK's representation in Smash. So in Smash Ultimate, both companies are currently represented by a single fighter, unlike Sega, Square Enix, Capcom and Konami, who each have 3, and Microsoft, who has 2. However, unlike those companies' fighters, Pac-Man and Terry appear to be representing more than just their respective series, but more-or-less, their respective companies' entire game libraries (or retro library in Namco's case). And maybe that's because Namco and SNK only have one character in comparison to those other 5 companies.

Terry came with the King of Fighters Stadium stage, tons of Fatal Fury/King of Fighters music tracks, and several spirits and stage cameos of characters from those games. But he also came with several songs and a few spirits from other SNK games like Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug, Art of Fighting, Psycho Soldier, Athena, Ikari Warriors and Alpha Mission. Not to mention Mii costumes for Ryo, Iori and Nakoruru. It's highly possible that we're not going to get another SNK character because of all this, so it was at least nice for Terry to represent pretty much all of SNK with his inclusion.

Pac-Man came with the Pac-Land stage, and a few PAC-MAN music tracks and spirits, but he also came with a lot of other content from many retro Namco franchises, such as music tracks, items, and even taunt cameos from games like Galaga, Tower of Druaga, Mappy, Dig-Dug, Sky Kid, Rally-X, Retro-Cross, Libble Rabble, Legend of Valkyrie, Dragon Buster, Taiko no Tatsujin, and even a couple modern character cameos in the Namco Roulette taunt like Heihaichi Mishima from Tekken, and the Prince from Katamari. So, Pac-Man, like Terry, pretty much represents the entire retro history of Namco, even if it's not to the same level as Terry's SNK representation.

So thinking on this, I thought that if Ryu happens, what are the chances that he represents Koei Tecmo in a similar way that Pac-Man and Terry do for retro Namco and SNK respectively? He could come with a good number of Ninja Gaiden content, such as a Sky City Tokyo stage, and music tracks, spirits, and stage cameos from both the classic and modern Ninja Gaiden games, as well as content from series' like Dead or Alive, Fatal Frame, Nioh, and maybe even Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors. I think that could be a great way to represent not only Ryu Hayabusa and Ninja Gaiden, but all of Koei Tecmo as well.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I see. Well, I guess I could use this time to point out something I noticed recently about both Bandai Namco and SNK's representation in Smash. So in Smash Ultimate, both companies are currently represented by a single fighter, unlike Sega, Square Enix, Capcom and Konami, who each have 3, and Microsoft, who has 2. However, unlike those companies' fighters, Pac-Man and Terry appear to be representing more than just their respective series, but more-or-less, their respective companies' entire game libraries (or retro library in Namco's case). And maybe that's because Namco and SNK only have one character in comparison to those other 5 companies.

Terry came with the King of Fighters Stadium stage, tons of Fatal Fury/King of Fighters music tracks, and several spirits and stage cameos of characters from those games. But he also came with several songs and a few spirits from other SNK games like Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug, Art of Fighting, Psycho Soldier, Athena, Ikari Warriors and Alpha Mission. Not to mention Mii costumes for Ryo, Iori and Nakoruru. It's highly possible that we're not going to get another SNK character because of all this, so it was at least nice for Terry to represent pretty much all of SNK with his inclusion.

Pac-Man came with the Pac-Land stage, and a few PAC-MAN music tracks and spirits, but he also came with a lot of other content from many retro Namco franchises, such as music tracks, items, and even taunt cameos from games like Galaga, Tower of Druaga, Mappy, Dig-Dug, Sky Kid, Rally-X, Retro-Cross, Libble Rabble, Legend of Valkyrie, Dragon Buster, Taiko no Tatsujin, and even a couple modern character cameos in the Namco Roulette taunt like Heihaichi Mishima from Tekken, and the Prince from Katamari. So, Pac-Man, like Terry, pretty much represents the entire retro history of Namco, even if it's not to the same level as Terry's SNK representation.

So thinking on this, I thought that if Ryu happens, what are the chances that he represents Koei Tecmo in a similar way that Pac-Man and Terry do for retro Namco and SNK respectively? He could come with a good number of Ninja Gaiden content, such as a Sky City Tokyo stage, and music tracks, spirits, and stage cameos from both the classic and modern Ninja Gaiden games, as well as content from series' like Dead or Alive, Fatal Frame, Nioh, and maybe even Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors. I think that could be a great way to represent not only Ryu Hayabusa and Ninja Gaiden, but all of Koei Tecmo as well.
I was actually thinking about this yesterday no joke 😅 and yeah I could see it be that way where if it is him, it would most likely be that kind of situation where Mr. Sakurai goes with Ryu Hayabusa because he is the most iconic KOEI TECMO character but Ryu Hayabusa himself brings a lot of classic content (like Solomon’s Key, FIRE AND ICE, Mighty Bomb Jack, and RYGAR as examples) and modern content (FATAL FRAME, DEAD OR ALIVE, Dynasty Warriors, and more) while the main focus is on the NINJA GAIDEN series specifically the NES take of the series like Simon Belmont and CastleVania for instance. Also this is not a deconfirm but I find it funny and ironic that when the Yasuda interviews happened people are like “oH hAyAbUsA iS dEcOnFiRmEd GuYs” and then when this happens everyone is making the same argument as we have been “oh Toys for Bob wouldn’t be the one you have too talk too about that” which is true they wouldn’t know about Crash in Smash but what I’m basically getting at is is that it’s the same thing between Team NINJA and KOEI TECMO https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1391377426953998339?s=21

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

I think it's highly possible that Hayabusa could come with content from the Dead or Alive and Warriors series since he's a regular character in both. Music tracks and spirits.

I'm not too sure about Nioh, though. That's still a much newer series and while it has connections to the Ninja Gaiden series, I'm not sure if it's significant enough to warrant content in Smash.

Fatal Frame is possible, though. Since it's the only Koei Tecmo series represented in Smash, it would be fitting for a playable Koei Tecmo character to come with more tracks from that series.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I was actually thinking about this yesterday no joke 😅 and yeah I could see it be that way where if it is him, it would most likely be that kind of situation where Mr. Sakurai goes with Ryu Hayabusa because he is the most iconic KOEI TECMO character but Ryu Hayabusa himself brings a lot of classic content (like Solomon’s Key, FIRE AND ICE, Mighty Bomb Jack, and RYGAR as examples) and modern content (FATAL FRAME, DEAD OR ALIVE, Dynasty Warriors, and more) while the main focus is on the NINJA GAIDEN series specifically the NES take of the series like Simon Belmont and CastleVania for instance. Also this is not a deconfirm but I find it funny and ironic that when the Yasuda interviews happened people are like “oH hAyAbUsA iS dEcOnFiRmEd GuYs” and then when this happens everyone is making the same argument as we have been “oh Toys for Bob wouldn’t be the one you have too talk too about that” which is true they wouldn’t know about Crash in Smash but what I’m basically getting at is is that it’s the same thing between Team NINJA and KOEI TECMO https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1391377426953998339?s=21
I'm not gonna lie, I've never heard of FIRE AND ICE, Solomon's Key, Mighty Bomb Jack and RYGAR 😕 and I even brought up my initial doubt on Ryu from those interviews when talking about this tweet in the Crash forum. But, I've learned my lesson on that, so I wasn't really worried about what Toys For Bob said about Crash in Smash.

I think it's highly possible that Hayabusa could come with content from the Dead or Alive and Warriors series since he's a regular character in both. Music tracks and spirits.

I'm not too sure about Nioh, though. That's still a much newer series and while it has connections to the Ninja Gaiden series, I'm not sure if it's significant enough to warrant content in Smash.

Fatal Frame is possible, though. Since it's the only Koei Tecmo series represented in Smash, it would be fitting for a playable Koei Tecmo character to come with more tracks from that series.
I mean, even if it's just Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Fatal Frame and Warriors content that comes with Ryu, and nothing from Nioh, I'd still consider that a mostly Koei Tecmo represented challenger pack.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I mean, even if it's Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Fatal Frame and Warriors content that comes with Ryu, and nothing from Nioh, I'd still consider that a mostly Koei Tecmo represented challenger pack.
I personally don't believe Koei Tecmo would act like SNK and throw in a bunch of tangentially related franchises with a series that isn't even their most successful one. I would agree at the very least other Team Ninja content to be included, i.e. Dead or Alive, Nioh, etc., but zero Koei content, namely Warriors stuff.

I honestly believe one fighter isn't enough to represent Koei Tecmo. What I mean is, just Ryu Hayabusa would be repping the Tecmo side. The Koei side is technically the bigger part of Koei Tecmo. Sometimes, it's hard for me to believe Koei Tecmo would just give Ninja Gaiden content and pay no mind to their bigger franchises from the Koei side. It's unfortunate that KT is most likely not getting more than one fighter this time around because both sides have great games just like the two sides of Square Enix, Cloud and Hero were probably a miracle to have happened.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I personally don't believe Koei Tecmo would act like SNK and throw in a bunch of tangentially related franchises with a series that isn't even their most successful one. I would agree at the very least other Team Ninja content to be included, i.e. Dead or Alive, Nioh, etc., but zero Koei content, namely Warriors stuff.

I honestly believe one fighter isn't enough to represent Koei Tecmo. What I mean is, just Ryu Hayabusa would be repping the Tecmo side. The Koei side is technically the bigger part of Koei Tecmo. Sometimes, it's hard for me to believe Koei Tecmo would just give Ninja Gaiden content and pay no mind to their bigger franchises from the Koei side. It's unfortunate that KT is most likely not getting more than one fighter this time around because both sides have great games just like the two sides of Square Enix, Cloud and Hero were probably a miracle to have happened.
I guess. As long as Ryu comes with content from at least Ninja Gaiden (Classic and Modern), Dead or Alive, Fatal Frame and Nioh, since they're all an interconnected story, I think that's enough for me to still make my idea hold up well.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Top Bottom