• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Well, sad to see the ninja goes down in a less honorable manner, I feel like these interviewer is barking at a wrong house if you want to believe that but Idk what position he hold in Team Ninja.

I feel like going back to the SNK interview maybe it's not really a big deconfirmation on KT as a whole, maybe as a scapegoat or something. But I don't know if y'all will change your mind for other KT franchise or still sticking with him.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Famitsu interview:

Smash Bros was brought up again. Can you guess what his response was?
Translation please?
This is based on Google translate, so it might not be 100% accurate, but here's the most interesting part.

――What kind of work do each of the three works look like from Mr. Yasuda's point of view?

Yasuda: I wasn't involved in the first work, but I heard that the development started with the inspiration of "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time " (*). You might think it's a lie, but at first it seems that you're planning a fishing system (laughs). In the end, we focused on actions, but it is such a remnant that search elements such as puzzle solving and jump actions are also included.

* "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time": An action-adventure game released on the Nintendo 64 by Nintendo in 1998.

――I also want to see Ryu Hayabusa fishing (laughs).

Yasuda It may happen someday (laughs).
...Wait, sorry, I meant this:

――By the way, fans often say that you want Ryu Hayabusa to appear in a certain Super Smash Bros. game ...

Yasuda : We are waiting for your invitation (laughs).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so right now we got Team Confirmed against Team Deconfirmed. As always, I'm stuck on Team Hmm.

This is gonna be a long year.

Edit: I've been told that he said in a separate interview that there are no plans for Ryu to be in Smash, so, take it as you will.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So it looks like we have:

1. Waiting on an invitation.
2. Waiting on an invitation.
3. Waiting on an invitation.
4. No plans at this time.
5. Waiting on an invitation.

It is very strange that 4 out of 5 interviews all say the same thing, as if he’s sticking to a script of some kind, then we have one random interview where he straight up shoots down the idea...only to be followed by another “waiting on an invitation.” Weird.

I still think the weirdest thing is the simple fact that we’ve gotten five interviews over such a short period of time.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
So it looks like we have:

1. Waiting on an invitation.
2. Waiting on an invitation.
3. Waiting on an invitation.
4. No plans at this time.
5. Waiting on an invitation.

It is very strange that 4 out of 5 interviews all say the same thing, as if he’s sticking to a script of some kind, then we have one random interview where he straight up shoots down the idea...only to be followed by another “waiting on an invitation.” Weird.

I still think the weirdest thing is the simple fact that we’ve gotten five interviews over such a short period of time.
That's also what I found weird. I also noticed how they retweeted the Nintendo Life and Famitsu interviews but not the Nintenderos interview.

He may or may not know something. Maybe he was just throwing people off with that interview. Whatever it is, I don't expect a clear answer from him. This is why I'd rather just wait and see what happens.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The interviews all tie into the Ninja Gaiden collection, right? I assume that these interviews are to help promote that, and people keep bringing up the Smash Bros. question because a character getting into Smash is a pretty big deal (and the interviewers might not be aware that it's already been asked several times by now).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The interviews all tie into the Ninja Gaiden collection, right? I assume that these interviews are to help promote that, and people keep bringing up the Smash Bros. question because a character getting into Smash is a pretty big deal (and the interviewers might not be aware that it's already been asked several times by now).
Someone really ought to tell news outlets whether anything has already been said on the matter or not, because this is too confusing.

For now, I guess I'll just assume he isn't coming and the minor KT stuff was just a formality.

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Not that I believe that recent interview is a misdirection, but it's really annoying how somewhat often the times where some dev really was lying about this kind of **** happens.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Companies usually tell interviewers what they're not allowed to ask so I find it super sus' that Koei Tecmo are allowing Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Bros questions.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Companies usually tell interviewers what they're not allowed to ask so I find it super sus' that Koei Tecmo are allowing Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Bros questions.
If KOEI TECMO told interviewers not to ask about Smash, that would be a sus thing to ask and leak out somehow, so to maintain secrecy it’s better to be allowed to ask anything than have some questions (especially Smash questions) to be off the table, I still personally think the situation is that Team NINJA themselves have no idea if Ryu Hayabusa is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate or not, because I feel as though if Hayabusa were to come it would most likely be based on his NES counterpart in a similar vein to Simon Belmont and since Team NINJA worked on the reboot and not the original NES trilogy they would most likely not be consulted at all for him and instead be left to Sakurai and the Smash team to work on instead. Some modern stuff like his Izuna Drop and Modern Outfits would be stuff I could see them use but the Modern stuff would be very limited I assume

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
We still got like two and a half months before E3 where they'll likely reveal a new character, which is also around the same time the Master Collection is coming out (five days before E3).

I don't know exactly how it works but maybe Team Ninja could be asked later this month or next month to check up on the character? A lot can happen between now and then.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So this newest Famitsu interview discusses the possibility of a Ninja Gaiden 4. It seems that there aren't any plans for it yet, but that they have thrown the idea around and wanna wait and see how Master Collection does. Obviously, a Ninja Gaiden sequel is likely very far away, but it's still exciting to hear it talked about.

What would you guys wanna see from a Ninja Gaiden sequel? It's likely that it would probably be in the same style as the Sigma Trilogy, which sounds great to me. However, it would be really cool if they gave us a reboot in the style of the original trilogy. Have y'all ever played The Messenger? It's an indie sidescroller that takes tons of influence from Ninja Gaiden. Gameplay-wise, it's pretty much exactly what I would want from a Ninja Gaiden sequel. It's tough, but fair. It has a killer soundtrack, diverse movement options, and a surprisingly gripping story (though it's a lot sillier than Ninja Gaiden). It's about $15 on the eShop, and I can't recommend it enough. It's a superb homage.

I also feel that Team Ninja has struck gold with the Nioh series. They really nailed the "soulslike" gameplay style. A Ninja Gaiden sequel in the style of Nioh 2 could be amazing, and would fit the franchise really well in my opinion. People already compare Ninja Gaiden to Dark Souls, so it's a perfect fit.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So this newest Famitsu interview discusses the possibility of a Ninja Gaiden 4. It seems that there aren't any plans for it yet, but that they have thrown the idea around and wanna wait and see how Master Collection does. Obviously, a Ninja Gaiden sequel is likely very far away, but it's still exciting to hear it talked about.

What would you guys wanna see from a Ninja Gaiden sequel? It's likely that it would probably be in the same style as the Sigma Trilogy, which sounds great to me. However, it would be really cool if they gave us a reboot in the style of the original trilogy. Have y'all ever played The Messenger? It's an indie sidescroller that takes tons of influence from Ninja Gaiden. Gameplay-wise, it's pretty much exactly what I would want from a Ninja Gaiden sequel. It's tough, but fair. It has a killer soundtrack, diverse movement options, and a surprisingly gripping story (though it's a lot sillier than Ninja Gaiden). It's about $15 on the eShop, and I can't recommend it enough. It's a superb homage.

I also feel that Team Ninja has struck gold with the Nioh series. They really nailed the "soulslike" gameplay style. A Ninja Gaiden sequel in the style of Nioh 2 could be amazing, and would fit the franchise really well in my opinion. People already compare Ninja Gaiden to Dark Souls, so it's a perfect fit.
I want to see the story revolve around Ryu Hayabusa raising a family with Irene and then he gets called by the JSDF again in order to solve some new issues in his world. Or since the NES games canonically happen after the Modern games, then just do a game about those ones but with modern graphics obviously

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
At the very least I hope this can become a place where NG fans can come to be excited. Even if our guy didn’t make it this time.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
At the very least I hope this can become a place where NG fans can come to be excited. Even if our guy didn’t make it this time.
There's no definitive proof that Ryu Hayabusa has been deconfirmed. We can only definitively say this once the final two fighters have been revealed.

HE SAID IT AGAIN! 5 TIMES IN A ROW! But there is something interesting here, apparently it was NINTENDO that approached KOEI TECMO about having the NINJA GAIDEN Master Collection be revealed in the Direct so I find that interesting View attachment 310055
View attachment 310057
I'm still confident with Ryu Hayabusa being the next fighter in the fighter's pass.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
HE SAID IT AGAIN! 5 TIMES IN A ROW! But there is something interesting here, apparently it was NINTENDO that approached KOEI TECMO about having the NINJA GAIDEN Master Collection be revealed in the Direct so I find that interesting View attachment 310055
View attachment 310057
I was wondering if anybody brought up how the Master Collection was revealed for the Switch. Thought that was interesting too.

And here's another thing I noticed; he also keeps saying "if we were to take part". This really does have me wondering if he means if he and his team were to get involved in his inclusion and not if they were to decide it. Obviously, Koei Tecmo has the say-so anyway but with the way he keeps wording that, I'm now starting to wonder if he DOES know something about it and is just speaking for his team because they're not involved in it.

Something is definitely up. I'll continue to wait and see but this is exactly why I'm not quick to listen to these interviews. It just adds more to the mystery rather than solving it.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There's no definitive proof that Ryu Hayabusa has been deconfirmed. We can only definitively say this once the final two fighters have been revealed.

I'm still confident with Ryu Hayabusa being the next fighter in the fighter's pass.
I don’t think any interview disconfirms a character and I’ve said this multiple times for other characters like Kiryu, and it’s by far the weirdest circumstances that we got 4 or 5 interviews that say “we’re waiting on our invitation” and one that’s very much not that, but I do think I’m a little less optimistic about his chances when it comes to the Nintenderos interview than what I was/am with the other interviews.

I’m not counting him out just yet but I’m not as optimistic as I once was.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Is, "waiting on our invite" basically a reference to the Smash character trailers where the newcomer usually receives an envelope inviting them to join Smash? Sounds oddly specific unless they watch the trailers for all the other character reveals.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Is, "waiting on our invite" basically a reference to the Smash character trailers where the newcomer usually receives an envelope inviting them to join Smash? Sounds oddly specific unless they watch the trailers for all the other character reveals.
Yes that’s what the reference is

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys while I was looking through Team NINJA’S tweets just for fun, I noticed something interesting, for the last wave of DEAD OR ALIVE’S DLC they made costumes based of TECMO’S IP’s including NINJA GAIDEN, this would further suggest that Team NINJA does not own the NINJA GAIDEN IP or any TECMO IP at all and would most likely not be consulted about any of KOEI TECMO content if it were to come to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
5D733AE8-7B42-4A7D-A8F3-531158C467CB.jpeg

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Well that’s the nail in the coffin unfortunately, sorry my dudes, we’ve come a long way, it’s been fun! Remember even though he’s a no show, we still got our crossover! Ryu Hayabusa will most likely make it next time we should be vocal about it then, but for now let’s move on and welcome the next 2 fighters into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!View attachment 309405View attachment 309406
What is this from exactly?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
What is this from exactly?
Nintenderos interview.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Well I was more talking in the moment when I said that, I now have reason to believe Ryu Hayabusa at least still has a shot at being DLC

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, it's entirely possible that plans for Hayabusa might have been changed or even dropped for Smash.

Let's consider the following...

1: Some insiders, including Vergeben, heard that Hayabusa was arriving in pass 1, yet he was nowhere to be found
2: The only game in the NG series that got rereleased at the time was an Arcade Archives port for the arcade game, so that probably wasn't enough to justify taking the risk of putting him in Smash (Simon and Richter did at least have rereleases for their games)
3: Koei Tecmo and Nintendo higher-ups, to represent their collaboration, most likely settled with including Byleth, since Three Houses was made using assets provided by KT, so like I've said to TDDolphin TDDolphin they're essentially an unofficial KT character

Last edited:

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Something I thought of today, we all know that KT is probably the closest 3rd party company to Nintendo currently. But that might be the reason we might not get Ryu or a KT rep, because KT doesn't need a character negotiation to get closer to Nintendo. The past DLC seems be with companies Nintendo wants to be closer with (Square Enix, Microsoft) & franchises they want from companies there already tight with (Persona/Shin Megami Tensei/ Sega & Atlus). With SNK being something of an exception, though SNK have been dedicated on the Wii, Wii U & Switch e shops and seem like an easy company to work with. Nintendo might be using character negotiations to bridge themselves better to companies they want to work with. Isn't it a little peculiar that we know KT & Ubisoft are really close to Nintendo since before Ultimate and yet outside of a few spirits and one assist trophy we've got nothing else new from them? I mean Monolith Soft helped out on development of Breath of the Wild & they didn't get a new rep from XC2 in Ultimate until over 2 years after the base game released.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Something I thought of today, we all know that KT is probably the closest 3rd party company to Nintendo currently. But that might be the reason we might not get Ryu or a KT rep, because KT doesn't need a character negotiation to get closer to Nintendo. The past DLC seems be with companies Nintendo wants to be closer with (Square Enix, Microsoft) & franchises they want from companies there already tight with (Persona/Shin Megami Tensei/ Sega & Atlus). With SNK being something of an exception, though SNK have been dedicated on the Wii, Wii U & Switch e shops and seem like an easy company to work with. Nintendo might be using character negotiations to bridge themselves better to companies they want to work with. Isn't it a little peculiar that we know KT & Ubisoft are really close to Nintendo since before Ultimate and yet outside of a few spirits and one assist trophy we've got nothing else new from them? I mean Monolith Soft helped out on development of Breath of the Wild & they didn't get a new rep from XC2 in Ultimate until over 2 years after the base game released.
Why does SEGA get a rep then when Nintendo and SEGA have been close since 2000’s? Hell even Square Enix and Nintendo have been super close all the way back since Super Mario RPG, Mario Sports, Fortune Street, and more, so no personally I don’t think that’s the case at all, but if you think that then that’s your opinion and I respect it

Last edited:
Top Bottom