• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Well that’s the nail in the coffin unfortunately, sorry my dudes, we’ve come a long way, it’s been fun! Remember even though he’s a no show, we still got our crossover! Ryu Hayabusa will most likely make it next time we should be vocal about it then, but for now let’s move on and welcome the next 2 fighters into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!View attachment 309405View attachment 309406
What was the date on this interview? And where did you find it?
Elaborate or I'm gonna complain about Byleth again.
Lol, go ahead, you ain't hurting my feelings with that anymore.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Yeesh, there goes my one and only realistic hope so that this pass wouldn’t end up a complete piece of ****.
Well even if isn’t soon, here’s to hoping they’ll one day do a Fighters Pass 3.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
While Hayabusa wasn't my most wanted character, I still would've really liked to see him make it in. At the very least, he's gotten a lot of attention for a potential new pass/game. I'll still probably get the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy which a lot of people here should also check out.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Very weird that:

1. Koei gets no representation in Smash. I guess developing Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors 1, and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity for Nintendo meant nothing in return

2. It took this late for the developers to seemingly say Hayabusa isn't planned for Smash. Like where was this info 2 years ago? The Fighters Pass 2 characters were obviously decided back in what...late 2019? And we're finding this out now?

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Very weird that:

1. Koei gets no representation in Smash. I guess development Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors 1, and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity for Nintendo meant nothing in return

2. It took this late for the developers to seemingly say Hayabusa isn't planned for Smash. Like where was this info 2 years ago? The Fighters Pass 2 characters were obviously decided back in what...late 2019? And we're finding this out now?
Well, they're not obligated to tell fans about one of their characters being in Smash or not just because they really want to know. Also, not every relationship Nintendo forms with 3rd Party companies means that it's gonna lead to a Smash reveal. That's just making Smash seem so much more important to everyone than it is.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Well, it's the end of the road from here. Here's to hoping there's a FP3 secretly being planned or a new Smash or updated version for the rumored Switch Pro if those ever happen. Of course, I'm not expecting either of these to happen. It's finally a breath of fresh air to finally let go of what I was hoping for to happen in the past 2 years. I just really thought Koei Tecmo had this in the bag after the likes of SNK's Terry happened out of nowhere to my positively genuine surprise (of course, only Ryu Hayabusa is out of the running and KT's other characters are still on the table but I digress). Well, it was good knowing you all and hope you all check out Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection if you guys ever get the chance!

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Yeah this is a bummer. Hayabusa was one of the only “likely” characters that I was really hoping for. Just this past month I really started envisioning how he could play in Smash. God he would have been so amazing.

Regardless, it’s awesome to see how much love Ninja Gaiden has gotten lately. The new Ryu Hayabusa skin in Nioh 2 has rekindled my love for the game. It makes Nioh 2 straight up feel like a Ninja Gaiden game.
F9520CA7-F4D9-42A3-AC47-E3B261C3CC22.png
05C3CD6E-81DC-48DA-9214-6DD37C8605D7.jpeg

And the upcoming Master Collection makes Ninja Gaiden’s future look a lot brighter. A lot of my friends are showing interest in the trilogy despite never playing a Ninja Gaiden game. If it does well, maybe we’ll finally see a proper sequel. Though I would personally prefer a reboot in the style of the original games.

In terms of Hayabusa in Smash, I’m sure that he’ll always be a frontrunner. Ninja Gaiden is always going to be Ninja ****ing Gaiden. I’m confident that we’ll see him in Smash eventually. But for now, it was fun while it lasted. Here’s hoping that Ryu finds his way in Smash in the near future or in Fighters Pass 2 because Yasuda is clearly lying and only trying to throw us off the trail.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Regardless of the "no plans" claim, I don't think that rules out a possible mii costume to promote the Sigma ports. Arthur literally came despite the remake being announced just last December, meaning Mii costumes can happen beyond the date the fighters of the pass were decided. Here's hoping you guys get at least something.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Regardless of the "no plans" claim, I don't think that rules out a possible mii costume to promote the Sigma ports. Arthur literally came despite the remake being announced just last December, meaning Mii costumes can happen beyond the date the fighters of the pass were decided. Here's hoping you guys get at least something.
I would really like that honestly. It's better than nothing. Dare I hope for a free Unbreakable Determination track to go with it? Lol

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
While I understand people have lost faith in Ryu Hayabusa in Smash and yeah I’m 50/50 on the subject as well, I should at least mention that NINJA GAIDEN itself is made by Team NINJA but not own by them, it’s not their IP they just work on it, so if NINJA GAIDEN appears outside of its games and into collabs it’s credited as © KOEI TECMO GAMES/© コーエーテクモホールディングス not Team NINJA as well as any other series owned by KOEI TECMO
99C06900-03DD-4CB7-8CCD-158A7410B6FF.jpeg

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
While I understand people have lost faith in Ryu Hayabusa in Smash and yeah I’m 50/50 on the subject, I should at least mention that NINJA GAIDEN itself is made by Team NINJA but not own by them, it’s not their IP they just work on it, so if NINJA GAIDEN appears outside of its games and into collabs it’s credited as © KOEI TECMO GAMES/© コーエーテクモホールディングス not Team NINJA as well as any other series owned by KOEI TECMOView attachment 309427
Hmm...that is an interesting point. Yasuda may not even have to be involved if Hayabusa were to be in and probably not even know what's going on.

Which makes me wonder, when he says "we", does he mean Team Ninja?

Plus, I also want to point out that Team Ninja is not involved in the Warriors Orochi games where Hayabusa is one of the characters.

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I remember when Sonic wasn't in the cards before he was revealed in Brawl a few months later. That said, I'm going to play it safe and assume he's not joining the fray this time around. Shoot...
Lol I doubt it’s an April Fools joke, although I’m still 50/50 on the whole thing
Does Japan even celebrate April Fool's day outside of trolling the Western audience?

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Does anyone know why Yasuda decided to do a bunch of interviews in the span of like a week? Is that a common thing for game developers to do?

QQS

Smash Lord
I believe Ryu has solid chances to join the battle, for many perfect reasons, like Crash, Rayman and Eggman.

Hope everyone gets their dreams come true! Ryu Hayabusa is such an amazing character + a NES legend that must happen!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It is crazy how many interviews asking about Hayabusa’s potential inclusion has popped up recently. That interview does seal the deal in my opinion, but I hope there’s still a slight chance.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Does anyone know why Yasuda decided to do a bunch of interviews in the span of like a week? Is that a common thing for game developers to do?
Possibly to promote/discuss the Ninja Gaiden remasters/re-releases? I'll have to double check the interviews, but I know they were mentioned in a few of them.

Does Japan even celebrate April Fool's day outside of trolling the Western audience?
Yeah; I know previous years have had compilations of April Fool's Day jokes by Japanese companies, including an alleged game by Platinum Games where you play as their CEO who transforms into a Power Rangers-type hero.

Nothgard

Smash Cadet
Even if ryu was in smash they must deny it for confidentiality. I guess people expect a: "at the moment I can't say anything" or " of course he is the next" or "you need to wait for the Next nintendo Direct".

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Even if ryu was in smash they must deny it for confidentiality. I guess people expect a: "at the moment I can't say anything" or " of course he is the next" or "you need to wait for the Next nintendo Direct".
This is more or less where I stand, but what would the Smash community be if we didn't jump the gun at everything. 🤷‍♀️

More importantly, this site is not big enough for two Perfect Cells. Today you will be annihilated!

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Hey Guys, I found out that Yasuyuki Oda who said that he would like to see an SNK character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate during that interview and went into it and outright making it look like a deconfirm was actually working on Terry Bogard as a supervisor, he was just under NDA, so the thing with Yasuda could very well be just like that as well akin to Grant Kirkhope, remember Yasuda and Yasuyuki have similar positions, so it is possible that could be what’s happening here
3CD44A21-38EE-4378-B137-E9F65F0E1082.jpeg

Also if this isn’t enough of a reason as to why Hayabusa should be in Smash then I don’t know what is https://twitter.com/teamninjastudio/status/1377729870415937537?s=21

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
To anybody here that know about Nintenderos, how often do they do interviews?
Quite often, 2 so far this year and a lot more during 2020. They often do interviews to VAs, different roles of a team developer, etc.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Quite often, 2 so far this year and a lot more during 2020. They often do interviews to VAs, different roles of a team developer, etc.
Well, it's kind of strange that they don't get much attention.

I noticed that they were also ones who interviewed Gust, who said almost the exact same things as Team Ninja. "There are no plans but if they asked us, we would love for this character to be in Smash." Would be funny if Koei Tecmo told all of their companies to say the same thing.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Ok I have another theory, I realized that Ghost n Goblins AND NINJA GAIDEN both have an SP version on the Nintendo Switch ONLINE service, so that got me thinking leakers keep saying that they have only ever heard about Ryu Hayabusa for KOEI TECMO content but no one really knows why him, well what if (as a theory) it’s because the content that would come with Hayabusa is based completely off the NES? Like if he was a fighter then he would be similar to Simon Belmont, where he would just be completely based off his NES version with no appearances from his modern incarnation except maybe his outfit but that’s it. It’s also possible that he could get the Mii and Spirit Treatment like Arthur too and I get that, but it’s just something I thought about
6FC5A42F-39E6-475B-B69A-E566BF54BE47.jpeg
Also I’m Android 18 which is dope!

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Hey Guys, I found out that Yasuyuki Oda who said that he would like to see an SNK character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate during that interview and went into it and outright making it look like a deconfirm was actually working on Terry Bogard as a supervisor, he was just under NDA, so the thing with Yasuda could very well be just like that as well akin to Grant Kirkhope, remember Yasuda and Yasuyuki have similar positions, so it is possible that could be what’s happening here View attachment 309570
Also if this isn’t enough of a reason as to why Hayabusa should be in Smash then I don’t know what is https://twitter.com/teamninjastudio/status/1377729870415937537?s=21
Just curious, what part did he make it seem like Terry was deconfirmed?

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, what part did he make it seem like Terry was deconfirmed?
Not Terry specifically but an SNK character itself, he kinda went into saying a dog and stuff while the whole time him going into it he knew Terry was coming

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Not Terry specifically but an SNK character itself, he kinda went into saying a dog and stuff while the whole time him going into it he knew Terry was coming
Well yeah, he clearly knew Terry was going to be in while saying that. People have made comparisons to him and Grant Kirkhope, though they always point out how he doesn't work for Rare like how Yasuda works for Team Ninja.

I'm personally just going to wait and see what happens. If it's possible that Yasuda is lying, then it's probably the best thing to do. The date that that took place, this being the third interview where he suddenly added that to his response (which ended up being just like Gusts's Junzo Hosoi's response), this not being said by a higher up at Koei Tecmo, and the wording of all these interviews just makes me not want to pay attention to any of them now.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I'm personally just going to wait and see what happens. If it's possible that Yasuda is lying, then it's probably the best thing to do. The date that that took place, this being the third interview where he suddenly added that to his response (which ended up being just like Gusts's Junzo Hosoi's response), and the wording of all these interviews just makes me not want to pay attention to any of them now.
I think that’s a fair way to go about it. These kind of interviews are always extremely vague and don’t really change much. Admittedly, the most recent interview is pretty damning and did temper my expectations quite a bit. Still, we’ve seen developers outright lie in the past to avoid breaking NDA so this could very well be the same thing. It’s better to make us believe he isn’t coming, rather than spoil the surprise.

Of course, it’s foolish to assume that Yasuda is lying, but it’s just as foolish to take exactly what he says at face value. We’ll just have to see what happens, but I really feel that this could go either way.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I think that’s a fair way to go about it. These kind of interviews are always extremely vague and don’t really change much. Admittedly, the most recent interview is pretty damning and did temper my expectations quite a bit. Still, we’ve seen developers outright lie in the past to avoid breaking NDA so this could very well be the same thing. It’s better to make us believe he isn’t coming, rather than spoil the surprise.

Of course, it’s foolish to assume that Yasuda is lying, but it’s just as foolish to take exactly what he says at face value. We’ll just have to see what happens, but I really feel that this could go either way.
Well yeah, he clearly knew Terry was going to be in while saying that. People have made comparisons to him and Grant Kirkhope, though they always point out how he doesn't work for Rare like how Yasuda works for Team Ninja.

I'm personally just going to wait and see what happens. If it's possible that Yasuda is lying, then it's probably the best thing to do. The date that that took place, this being the third interview where he suddenly added that to his response (which ended up being just like Gusts's Junzo Hosoi's response), this not being said by a higher up at Koei Tecmo, and the wording of all these interviews just makes me not want to pay attention to any of them now.
Yeah the best thing to do is to just wait and see and keep expectations in check

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I mean, I'm not saying Yasuda really is lying. It's possible that he is under an NDA but it's also possible that he just doesn't know anything, as everything could only be between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo, with no involvement from Team Ninja. It's kind of like how Sega and Nintendo got Sonic in Brawl without any involvement from Sonic Team, as Yojiro Ogawa even said it wasn't up to him to get Sonic in the game. So it's all the more reason why I would rather just wait and see.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo, Koei Tecmo, you BOTH got some explaining to do.

EDIT: Just realized that today is April 1st in Japan.

I'm kind of skeptical now.
Yeah, that is a very valid point. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he intentionally made a deconfirmation at that date as a misdirect.

Let's not forget Grant denying Banjo and Kazooie's chances in Smash Bros despite being involved with the soundtrack for the character.

Top Bottom