• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I have a bit of an off topic question, if people don’t mind me shifting conversation away from Twitter and interviews.

What would you want Ryu Hayabusa’s name on the roster to be? Obviously, a fair amount of people take issue with the idea of having two characters named Ryu. Admittedly, I would prefer that they didn’t just call him “Ryu” for that reason. It would just look...tacky. They could call him by his full name, Ryu Hayabusa, but that might be a bit much. Solid Snake is just Snake, Cloud Strife is just Cloud, Sonic the Hedgehog is just Sonic. Why would Ryu get his full name?

I think that I’d prefer for his name to just be “Hayabusa.” DoA just calls him Hayabusa, so there is precedent for it. It’s kind of weird for a character to simply be called by their last name, but in this case I do think it makes sense.

I don’t know, this is just something I was thinking about. I’m curious what you all think.
I could see him being called Ryu Hayabusa; it would differentiate him from Street Fighter's Ryu, and even with his full name, it still wouldn't be the longest name in Smash. (Rosalina and Luma is one syllable longer) I could also see him being called Hayabusa, like in Dead or Alive, but I'm not sure if it would be weird to leave out his first name.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to point out something interesting that continues what we’ve talked about. So Rise of Kingdoms is crossing over with NINJA GAIDEN 3: RAZOR’S EDGE on mobile and the copyright statement is © KOEI TECMO GAMES not Team NINJA. Although Team NINJA © does appear on pages like the Nintendo Switch version of the NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION, I think that’s mostly cuz that specific game is being made by them when it comes to how the IP is handled outside of the games into collabs however, KOEI TECMO gets the copyright statement because, and this is just a personal guess, is because the original NINJA GAIDEN was made by TECMO and KOEI TECMO is now the merged name of the two companies now also once again Team NINJA is a subsidiary of Koei Tecmo
26533FDA-72EA-43BF-9634-BBDBF4A66664.jpeg

123747D8-C3B3-412C-B9B5-F2E329864A5A.jpeg

Last edited:

TheBKFAN

Smash Cadet
I know that past few days have shaken up all the Ryu Hayabusa fans out there. But I think we all just need some "Unbreakable Determination"

Also let's just Izuna Drop those worries away.

I still believe in you, Ryu Hayabusa.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Unbreakable Determination is without a doubt one of my favorite songs in general. Even the 8-bit version gets you so pumped and it's practically impossible to not feel more motivated after listening to it. I don't care what songs Hayabusa comes with as long as that song makes it in.

Also, in case this was not shared yet here is another remix:

God, Hayabusa would be so great to have in Smash.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I wouldn't consider that recent interview a deconfirmation of Hayabusa, it's too similar to previous deflections we've seen before.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't consider that recent interview a deconfirmation of Hayabusa, it's too similar to previous deflections we've seen before.
Yeah I agree, I think some people have a problem with Team NINJA retweeting that interview but honestly that interview is already getting attention so it really doesn’t matter if it’s retweeted or not as the article in question doesn’t really break NDA

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I have a bit of an off topic question, if people don’t mind me shifting conversation away from Twitter and interviews.

What would you want Ryu Hayabusa’s name on the roster to be? Obviously, a fair amount of people take issue with the idea of having two characters named Ryu. Admittedly, I would prefer that they didn’t just call him “Ryu” for that reason. It would just look...tacky. They could call him by his full name, Ryu Hayabusa, but that might be a bit much. Solid Snake is just Snake, Cloud Strife is just Cloud, Sonic the Hedgehog is just Sonic. Why would Ryu get his full name?

I think that I’d prefer for his name to just be “Hayabusa.” DoA just calls him Hayabusa, so there is precedent for it. It’s kind of weird for a character to simply be called by their last name, but in this case I do think it makes sense.

I don’t know, this is just something I was thinking about. I’m curious what you all think.
I prefer he's called Hayabusa, just like in the DOA series.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Smash is a series able to let friends (ex 2sd-party) die like Professor Layton and stay on the sidelines like Ace Attorney.
Bandai, FromSoftware, Irem, Marvelous, Nihon Falcom, Taito, Team Ico... aren't in the spotlight either.
The companies chosen in Ultimate are either in line with Famitsu trends or have opened up new horizons (Microsoft and SNK).

Below, examples of trends according to Famitsu readers.
Top by Famitsu readers
/ number of times the companies appear

Top 10 by consoles, 2016*
Nintendo 63 ·
Square Enix 42 · Sega 29 · Capcom 19 · Bandai Namco 12 · Konami 11 · Atlus 10 · Sony 8 · Microsoft 7 · Nihon Falcom 4 · Koei Tecmo 3 (Dead or Alive 3, DoA Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Ninja Gaiden)
Top 100 of all time, 2017*

Square Enix 29 · Sega 18 · Nintendo 14 · Atlus 6 · Konami 7 · Spike Chunsoft 7 · Capcom 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Team Ico 2
Various top 20 by genres (Action-Adventure° + Action° + Fighting ° + Racing
° + RPG° + Shooters° + Simulation°), 2017
Nintendo 24 ·
Square Enix 20 · Capcom 17 · Sega 16 · Sony 10 · Konami 8 · Bandai Namco 5 · Arc System Works 3 · Atlus 3 · Koei Tecmo 3 (Dead or Alive 5, Nobunaga's Ambition, RotTK XIII) · FromSoftware 2 · SNK 2
Top 20 of all time by non-japanese readers, 2017*

Square Enix 4 · Atlus 3 · Capcom 3 · Konami 3 · Nintendo 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Koei Tecmo 1 (Nioh) · Sega 1
Top 20 of Heisei Era, 2019*

Square Enix 10 · Nintendo 7 · Capcom 2 · Konami 2
Also curious question, I’m not exactly sure what this theory is about, while I like it, are you saying that Nintendo chooses its DLC characters for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate based off of Famitsu trends?

Ornl

Smash Ace
Also curious question, I’m not exactly sure what this theory is about, while I like it, are you saying that Nintendo chooses its DLC characters for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate based off of Famitsu trends?
What I'm saying is different ^^

When Joker appeared, I thought to myself: "how could I have guessed?"
The answer is that Persona 5 was top 1 in the best games and best RPG Famitsu polls in 2017. But a game doesn't reach top 1 by mere opinions. It succeeds because he is exceptional and because critics have recognized it as exceptional. Then the players validate if they think it also exceptional.

Obviously Joker, Hero, Steve, and Sephiroth all point to trends/sales. Banjo-Kazooie and Terry are exceptions.
Famitsu is a weak indicator of trends, but paradoxically one of the best, along with Google Trends. At the same time, Nintendo DREAM polls only revealed Sans's success in Japan, nothing more. Nintendo DREAM is a magazine for young Japanese readers was heavily promoting Level-5, Ace Attorney, and Story of Seasons, but Nintendo isn't looking in the same direction.

The strong point of Famitsu polls is above all that they reveal a new point of view. Here is what it was possible to interpret with polls (yellow = confirmed):
Atlus is coming.
Dragon Quest is coming.
• Monster Hunter · NieR could come (but this is different today).
• Won't come : Agumon · Arle Nadja · Arthur · Bomberman (FP2) · Crash Bandicoot · Dante · Goemon · Heihachi Mishima · Lara Croft · Lloyd Irving · Travis Touchdown · Sonic Team rep · Ubisoft rep... Online FPS and MOBA are modes; hit games are handkerchiefs that are first worshiped, then they wear out, then they are thrown away and forgotten.
• SNK doesn't come (it was a mistake because there were other factors that was considered).
• Bandai Namco, FromSoftware, Irem, Level-5, Marvelous, Nihon Falcom, Sony, Taito, Team Ico, and Koei Tecmo don't come (but there could be other factors that would be considered).

Simon Belmont appeared in the base game. He didn't have the makings of a DLC according to Nintendo (nor Famitsu). So I think that Hayabusa could only arrive through preferential treatment, an honorary reward, just like Terry.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I don’t know if this has been posted here before but this is very cool, a Japanese Youtuber basically explains why he thinks Ryu Hayabusa is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, also note that this is primarily in Japanese but you can follow along, he even has a video clip of Sakurai saying something but I don’t think it’s necessarily about NINJA GAIDEN I think it’s more about Super Smash Bros. but Yuri Kozukata is in the clip https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5dChyCc-Uvs

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm still waiting for Balan Wonderworld to get one, myself.
Well, this aged like milk. I always knew that picking Arzest to make that game turned out to be a monumental mistake.

Wouldn't be surprised if even the spirit team wound up having zero faith in that game.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Also, my two cents on the Famitsu theory is...print info can become outdated sooner or later, that's the main thing going against it, even if personal preferences were involved or not.

It's fine man, at least I didn't pre-order it. Thanks for the sentiment though.
It's all good. If it makes you feel any better, none of the Spirit Events I predicted a while back are likely to happen now (Atelier Ryza, Trails of Cold Steel, Virtua Fighter, The World Ends With You, etc.). Probably because they were mostly games with niche fanbases that wouldn't have really fit for Smash 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's all good. If it makes you feel any better, none of the Spirit Events I predicted a while back are likely to happen now (Atelier Ryza, Trails of Cold Steel, The World Ends With You, etc.). Probably because they were mostly games with niche fanbases that wouldn't have really fit for Smash 🤷‍♂️
That and TWEWY still only had one game until recently (too much of a risk, since Sak strictly goes after third-party series that have more than that). I'm sure they'll get their chance next time.

Maybe Ryza could get a Mii costume, at least.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
That and TWEWY still only had one game until recently (too much of a risk, since Sak strictly goes after third-party series that have more than that). I'm sure they'll get their chance next time.

Maybe Ryza could get a Mii costume, at least.
Ryza would make for an interesting Mii costume XD But since she's a Koei Tecmo character, she'd be a good choice if Ryu does get in.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Quite a few things have come to mind recently.

Does anybody think that they're intentional saving Hayabusa for one of the last characters because he's an obvious character? What if they're adding unexpected characters first and obvious characters last?

I remember back during Smash 4 when it was revealed that Bandai Namco was developing the game, everyone was expecting a character from that company to be in the game. Yet, as I'm sure people around here remember, it wasn't until when the game closed to being released that Pac-Man was finally revealed. It was also around that same time that people began to expect Bayonetta due to Nintendo funding her second game, but she ended up being the very last DLC character for Smash 4. In this case, Hayabusa seems almost as obvious as them for different reasons, yet now we're down to just two DLC characters left with Hayabusa still possibly being one of them. It's easy to assume that he could have been in the game much earlier, possibly in the base game, so they just wait until there's some doubts (in which there does appear to be) and then BAM, he's revealed, finally erasing all those doubts? This falls right into Nintendo/Sakurai's style of surprising people with character reveals, even if they seemed obvious at first.

Another thing is that so far, the third-party characters in this pass all come from the same third-party companies that had characters in the previous. The first pass had Banjo & Kazooie and Hero, this one has Steve and Sephiroth. It's kind of like those characters from the first pass opened the door to characters in the second. What if Byleth opened the door to Hayabusa? Now I know Byleth is from Fire Emblem so he's technically a Nintendo character but Koei Tecmo did work on the game, so what if a character from a game that they worked on led to a character that they actually own? This may not seem like much but I do think it's still possible. Talks between companies could lead to many different things.

These just a few things that I've been thinking about lately. Not saying these are the case but I do think it's possible.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Quite a few things have come to mind recently.

Does anybody think that they're intentional saving Hayabusa for one of the last characters because he's an obvious character? What if they're adding unexpected characters first and obvious characters last?

I remember back during Smash 4 when it was revealed that Bandai Namco was developing the game, everyone was expecting a character from that company to be in the game. Yet, as I'm sure people around here remember, it wasn't until when the game closed to being released that Pac-Man was finally revealed. It was also around that same time that people began to expect Bayonetta due to Nintendo funding her second game, but she ended up being the very last DLC character for Smash 4. In this case, Hayabusa seems almost as obvious as them for different reasons, yet now we're down to just two DLC characters left with Hayabusa still possibly being one of them. It's easy to assume that he could have been in the game much earlier, possibly in the base game, so they just wait until there's some doubts (in which there does appear to be) and then BAM, he's revealed, finally erasing all those doubts? This falls right into Nintendo/Sakurai's style of surprising people with character reveals, even if they seemed obvious at first.

Another thing is that so far, the third-party characters in this pass all come from the same third-party companies that had characters in the previous. The first pass had Banjo & Kazooie and Hero, this one has Steve and Sephiroth. It's kind of like those characters from the first pass opened the door to characters in the second. What if Byleth opened the door to Hayabusa? Now I know Byleth is from Fire Emblem so he's technically a Nintendo character but Koei Tecmo did work on the game, so what if a character from a game that they worked on led to a character that they actually own? This may not seem like much but I do think it's still possible. Talks between companies could lead to many different things.

These just a few things that I've been thinking about lately. Not saying these are the case but I do think it's possible.
I mean yeah it’s possible but I’m not sure

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's not a big deal. That's actually just the whole interview being posted instead of just parts of it.

It's still more about how they would like the idea if Hayabusa were to be in but without actually revealing anything. Notice how the interviewer even said "I know you can't talk about that today". So it's more of "what if" situation and Yasuda just went along with it.

So yeah, it's all good.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Ok so there was another one today and he said this, again not breaking NDA and also kinda shows that he himself has no idea if Nintendo and KOEI TECMO have come to an deal or not for Ryu Hayabusa to Join the battle
60F825BC-65FC-45D0-AEC5-29EAE72FB016.jpeg

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Interview 1: “I’m waiting for our invite”

Interview 2: “I’m waiting for our invite”

Interview 3: “I’m waiting for our invite”

What do the numbers mean, Mason!
Probably filling out a punch card. Get asked about Smash one more times and get Hayabusa for free at equal or lesser value.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Honestly those interviews don't look good. Why did they never mention Hayabusa for Smash for like the last 3+ years, but now all of a sudden as we wind down on the deadline on the final 2 they're suddenly open about it? My guess is Hayabusa wasn't considered at the time so they had nothing to say.

If he really doesn't make it it's a shame. I don't know if we'll get a Fighters Pass 3 and if we don't then we'll be waiting 5+ years for the next Smash for another shot.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Honestly those interviews don't look good. Why did they never mention Hayabusa for Smash for like the last 3+ years, but now all of a sudden as we wind down on the deadline on the final 2 they're suddenly open about it? My guess is Hayabusa wasn't considered at the time so they had nothing to say.

If he really doesn't make it it's a shame. I don't know if we'll get a Fighters Pass 3 and if we don't then we'll be waiting 5+ years for the next Smash for another shot.
Why should it matter when he was mentioned? Interviews don't indicate when a character was actually considered.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

To be fair, Grant Kirkhope’s statement against Banjo was less than a month before his reveal.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Apparently many people have been taking these recent interviews as solid evidence that Ryu Hayabusa is deconfirmed. I kind of get it, but honestly these interviews are still extremely vague and don’t really make me feel anything one way or the other. All of Yasuda’s responses feel quick enough and vague enough to where they could mean anything.

I actually think it’s very interesting how he repeats the phrase “I’m waiting on an invitation” so frequently. It almost seems as though he’s annoyed with the question and says it as a way to change the subject. But what are the odds that that’s the phrase Nintendo specifically instructed to say if he was ever asked about Hayabusa in Smash? The way it changes the subject without revealing much info makes me think it could just be a tactic to avoid giving away information.

This is all speculation. My point is that this could easily still go either way. My expectations of Ryu are about the same.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
censor dodging
Apparently many people have been taking these recent interviews as solid evidence that Ryu Hayabusa is deconfirmed. I kind of get it, but honestly these interviews are still extremely vague and don’t really make me feel anything one way or the other. All of Yasuda’s responses feel quick enough and vague enough to where they could mean anything.

I actually think it’s very interesting how he repeats the phrase “I’m waiting on an invitation” so frequently. It almost seems as though he’s annoyed with the question and says it as a way to change the subject. But what are the odds that that’s the phrase Nintendo specifically instructed to say if he was ever asked about Hayabusa in Smash? The way it changes the subject without revealing much info makes me think it could just be a tactic to avoid giving away information.

This is all speculation. My point is that this could easily still go either way. My expectations of Ryu are about the same.
Lol My friend Smokey was theorizing that yesterday
censored discord.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
He’s saying your in denial when your not ur just speculating lol last I checked there isn’t a law against that
I don't even know what I would be in denial of anyway. I think it's ridiculous to think that a character getting in has anything do with when they were mentioned in interviews.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Well that’s the nail in the coffin unfortunately, sorry my dudes, we’ve come a long way, it’s been fun! Remember even though he’s a no show, we still got our crossover! Ryu Hayabusa will most likely make it next time we should be vocal about it then, but for now let’s move on and welcome the next 2 fighters into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!
09F0053B-BF9D-4E0A-B8D5-16D26CCE9D76.jpeg
2AB7FEDC-6751-4D9A-81E9-340AA76B1222.jpeg

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, that's a shame. Hopefully he'll make it into the next Smash game; his inclusion seems like a no-brainer.

At the very least, all of this speculation got me to try some of the 3D Ninja Gaiden games. (though I preferred Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge over Ninja Gaiden Sigma; I'm not a fan of games that are brutally difficult even on normal mode)

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Well that’s the nail in the coffin unfortunately, sorry my dudes, we’ve come a long way, it’s been fun! Remember even though he’s a no show, we still got our crossover! Ryu Hayabusa will most likely make it next time we should be vocal about it then, but for now let’s move on and welcome the next 2 fighters into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!View attachment 309405View attachment 309406
Wait so is this yet another brand new interview from today? But either way R.I.P

Unbreakable Determination slowly fades

Can I get a link to that article btw?

Last edited:
Top Bottom