• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What are you thinking here exactly? That they probably won't put two more katana wielders in?
That is what he was thinking. You remember when Sakurai said in the Min Min Presentation he was thinking of choosing between Min Min and Ninjara and he came to the conclusion of choosing Min Min not only because of his decision but also because the Arms creator Mr. Yabuki wanted Min Min in so he went with her. AmphabulouSnake AmphabulouSnake was saying he didn't think Hayabusa was likely because of Ninjara being consider at one point which if he was chosen we would have gotten two ninja characters in the Pass. It's a silly observation.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
What are you thinking here exactly? That they probably won't put two more katana wielders in?
No not that, I just don’t feel as though BOTH Ryu Hayabusa and Lloyd Irving are characters I think it’s either one or the other the one I want is Hayabusa, I love Lloyd and Tales of but Hayabusa is my most wanted so that’s what I’m saying

That is what he was thinking. You remember when Sakurai said in the Min Min Presentation he was thinking of choosing between Min Min and Ninjara and he came to the conclusion of choosing Min Min not only because of his decision but also because the Arms creator Mr. Yabuki wanted Min Min in so he went with her. RETROROTER RETROROTER was saying he didn't think Hayabusa was likely because of Ninjara being consider at one point which if he was chosen we would have gotten two ninja characters in the Pass. It's a silly observation.
I never said that, AmphabulouSnake AmphabulouSnake did

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, I fully expect Lloyd to go the full Geno route, partially because the legacy Mii costumes from 4 seldom got promoted for this time, and partially because Western Tales fans from the period have a hard time getting nice things. Him not getting in would have absolutely no correlation with "too many katanas/swords/pointy objects" when it's generally the moveset itself that matters.
Compared to him, Hayabusa would practically be the second coming of :ultbyleth: with the toolset he has from both the classic and modern games.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
No not that, I just don’t feel as though BOTH Ryu Hayabusa and Lloyd Irving are characters I think it’s either one or the other the one I want is Hayabusa, I love Lloyd and Tales of but Hayabusa is my most wanted so that’s what I’m saying
Right, but why do you think it's unlikely that both will be added?

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
It was just an observation as you said
I still believe Ryu is likely lmao
Just thought, if we got Ninjara, getting 2 ninja characters in the same pass would be somewhat redundant, even with the difference in gameplay (which is why getting multiple jrpg characters in the same pass isn't too much of a problem if they have a different gameplay/look altogether)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
At any rate, I fully expect Lloyd to go the full Geno route, partially because the legacy Mii costumes from 4 seldom got promoted for this time, and partially because Western Tales fans from the period have a hard time getting nice things. Him not getting in would have absolutely no correlation with "too many katanas/swords/pointy objects" when it's generally the moveset itself that matters.
Compared to him, Hayabusa would practically be the second coming of :ultbyleth: with the toolset he has from both the classic and modern games.
So even if Lloyd turns out to be out, where do you think that leaves Yuri? I think it's possible he might have gotten chosen for the potential Namco slot and the Lloyd costume will come back with him.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So even if Lloyd turns out to be out, where do you think that leaves Yuri? I think it's possible he might have gotten chosen for the potential Namco slot and the Lloyd costume will come back with him.
Meh, I doubt that Bamco will be in a hurry to have anyone besides Mr. Namco. :ultpacman:

I'd like to be proven wrong, but other third-parties are clearly being given priority here, so.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Good question. A part of me wonders whether Digimon Survive's delays mean that Agumon might show up any day now.

I don't know if it's intentional or not to a lot of people but, it's kinda weird that everyone refer to Bandai Namco by just.. Namco. It feels like everyone intentionally want another retro rep like Pac-Man lmao.

Also, it's a surprise that we only got Pac-Man as just the representation of the Namco side of Bandai Namco and haven't gotten a true representation of Bandai but we already get likes of Lloyd, Heihachi, Chosen Undead requested from time to time. I mean there's no other series that represent Bandai's toy making business other than Digimon in which it counts as a video game, a virtual pets, just like how Game & Watch is basically a portable clock that you can play games on.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Like I said the only thing in the way of Hayabusa’s chances is honestly too me Tales Of as I doubt there will be both a Ninja Gaiden rep and a Tales Of rep, honestly I want both of them in, but I just don’t think both of them are in

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know if it's intentional or not to a lot of people but, it's kinda weird that everyone refer to Bandai Namco by just.. Namco. It feels like everyone intentionally want another retro rep like Pac-Man lmao.

Also, it's a surprise that we only got Pac-Man as just the representation of the Namco side of Bandai Namco and haven't gotten a true representation of Bandai but we already get likes of Lloyd, Heihachi, Chosen Undead requested from time to time. I mean there's no other series that represent Bandai's toy making business other than Digimon in which it counts as a video game, a virtual pets, just like how Game & Watch is basically a portable clock that you can play games on.
Yeah, I think that Bamco may be relenting for the sake of letting other third-parties have a chance, and even with their sole fighter, Pac-Man was specifically requested by Miyamoto to Sak around the timeframe of Brawl. This is mainly why I don't necessarily think us getting a second fighter from them any time soon is a guarantee.

Also, there's been a huge stigma by Pokémon supporters against Agumon ones around here, at least in the general...

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I’ve said this before but Bandai Namco, regardless of the one rep, has a LOT of Content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. from Music to Spirits, to stages, and more, Bandai Namco has a lot of representation in Smash similar to SNK who only has one rep but that one rep brings a **** ton of stuff (look at SNK’s music!) that’s why I feel as though they should give Koei Tecmo the spotlight as has been repeated to death in this thread, we only have Yuri Kozukata as an assist trophy and 5 spirits (3 of those of which are Nintendo characters), so I honestly feel as though Koei Tecmo should be next
546E94E0-D41C-486D-AD11-8D96ED61BF3C.jpeg

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

To be fair Bandai is much more on the animation and licensing side of the company. They have basically 0 pure VG IP that isn’t originated from Namco.

Edit: I guess Digimon is their big one so there’s that but I’m under the impression that Digimon is not quite as big as Tales, Dark Souls, and Tekken

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I’ve said this before but Bandai Namco, regardless of the one rep, has a LOT of Content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. from Music to Spirits, to stages, and more, Bandai Namco has a lot of representation in Smash similar to SNK who only has one rep but that one rep brings a **** ton of stuff (look at SNK’s music!) that’s why I feel as though they should give Koei Tecmo the spotlight as has been repeated to death in this thread, we only have Yuri Kozukata as an assist trophy and 5 spirits (3 of those of which are Nintendo characters), so I honestly feel as though Koei Tecmo should be next View attachment 299155
I love the pic 😍

Does Bandai Namco have a lot of content in Smash Ultimate? I'm only really aware of Pac-Man, Pac-Land, the Ghosts Assist Trophy, the Boss Galaga and Special Flag items, the 12 music tracks, the 6 or 7 Namco spirits, and the Heihachi and Gil Mii costumes.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I love the pic 😍

Does Bandai Namco have a lot of content in Smash Ultimate? I'm only really aware of Pac-Man, Pac-Land, the Ghosts Assist Trophy, the Boss Galaga and Special Flag items, the 12 music tracks, the 6 or 7 Namco spirits, and the Heihachi and Gil Mii costumes.
Nope, that's all Namco, the Heihachi one is the only Bamco thing besides Lloyd whom haven't returned.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
But isn't Digimon originally Bandai's creation? Also did that series started out as a anime or a game?
Yes, Digimon is created by Bandai to appeal to male audience and a masculine counterpart to Tamagotchi which intended to female audience and it is also created by Bandai. From what I've looked both the anime and the game was released at the same time in 1999, but Digimon World were released fairly early in January.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Nope, that's all Namco, the Heihachi one is the only Bamco thing besides Lloyd whom haven't returned.
Uh, not really. Tekken has been a Namco property long before Namco merged with Bandai to make Bandai Namco, and Lloyd and Tales of Symponia had been a pure Namco property for a few years before the merger as well. Either way though, it's still not a whole lot compared to what Sega, Square Enix, Capcom and Konami got.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yes, Digimon is created by Bandai to appeal to male audience and a masculine counterpart to Tamagotchi which intended to female audience and it is also created by Bandai. From what I've looked both the anime and the game was released at the same time in 1999, but Digimon World were released fairly early in January.
So technically in that aspect Digimon would be considered a gaming franchise which is enough to consider it for Smash right?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Uh, not really. Tekken has been around a Namco property long before Namco merged with Bandai to make Bandai Namco, and Lloyd and Tales of Symponia had been a pure Namco property for a few years before the merger as well. It's still not a whole lot compared to what Sega, Square Enix, Capcom and Konami got.
Well, if that's the case then it's purely Namco rep that we have right now. (Thank you for clarification)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In terms of what Bandai-Namco franchises that could get a rep in Smash we got:

Tekken (Probably out because of the Mii costume)

Tales Of

Dark Souls

Soul Calibur

Xenosaga

Digimon

Katamari

Klonoa

Ect, ect.

So Bandai-Namco has a lot they could bring.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So technically in that aspect Digimon would be considered a gaming franchise which is enough to consider it for Smash right?
Technically yes, but idk if Virtual Pets count as a video game or not, on one hand it's a video game since you played it on a screen which is a subcategory in it of itself, so I could see Sakurai soften up the blow of Digimon being a toy and say "technically, you played it on a screen so you could say they're like a handheld console but much more smaller and it has a somewhat odd resemblance to the G&W in terms of limited capabilities".

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Well, since we're on the subject of Namco characters, I have a question. As someone whose never played the Tales series, could Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell work as palette swaps sharing one spot, or are their movesets too different since Lloyd uses 2 swords and Yuri uses 1?

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Imran says he doesn’t think that Tales Of will be playable, I’m not saying he’s correct but he does have a track record and if so then the only potential candidate left for a playable character would between Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, and Ryu Hayabusa would be Ryu Hayabusa
3B1B9A3A-E4D2-482C-A456-DEFE65BA50E9.jpeg

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
When did Vergeben say there was a meeting between Sakurai and Koei Tecmo? I thought that it was discussions between Nintendo and them not Sakurai
394552BC-EED8-413F-8613-B7E156C313A3.jpeg

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
When did Vergeben say there was a meeting between Sakurai and Koei Tecmo? I thought that it was discussions between Nintendo and them not SakuraiView attachment 299279
Where is this from? But yeah Vergeben was never specific with what, who, where, or how talks happened.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
When did Vergeben say there was a meeting between Sakurai and Koei Tecmo? I thought that it was discussions between Nintendo and them not SakuraiView attachment 299279
He replied to a question on GameFaqs, and he only stated that he was aware of "Nintendo" and Koei Tecmo being in talks about Smash Ultimate, not Sakurai meeting with Koei Tecmo. So I don't know where this article/post is coming from.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
He replied to a question on GameFaqs, and he only stated that he was aware of "Nintendo" and Koei Tecmo being in talks about Smash Ultimate, not Sakurai meeting with Koei Tecmo. So I don't know where this article/post is coming from.
That’s what I’m saying! Who ****ed up here? (The one who posted that obviously)

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...who do you guys think the music team would choose for composers for potential remixes of Ninja Gaiden tracks?

Top Bottom