• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
For most people, the salt is going to be worse for them than Bayonetta as not only said character will be Ultimate's last newcomer but probably Smash's last newcomer fir several years as that is probably how long it will be until we see Smash 6.
Smash 6 will probably be released in the early 2030s.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In the end, flame wars over character choices are just ephemeral. They go through the Seven Stages of Grief, then they stop worrying and focus on their lives until the next entry shows up. Rinse and repeat.

new-understanding-the-stages-of-grief-1.png

To me, it's just another Tuesday. At least no one gets physically hurt (although they could stand to take anger management classes).

The same sort of thing happened in Smash 4. As more and more characters get revealed, there are less spaces for characters to get in. The developers can't please everyone, so no matter who the last character or two are, they'll become a lightning rod for the Smash fandom because "how dare the developers include this character over [insert user's favourite character here], who was obviously far more deserving!"

To see this in action, look at Bayonetta in Smash 4, where people are still throwing around conspiracy theories five years later that the real winner of the Smash Ballot was [insert user's favourite character who was popular at the time here], and Bayonetta was only included for promotional purposes. (to promote a non-Nintendo game that had came out a year or two ago on a system that very few people had bought)
And it was outright said it was the only remaining character asked on said ballot (whether by silent majority or otherwise) they were in a position to add at the time (ergo not having enough time to start developing insert x popular/hardcore character choice here). It was possibly a personal request from Kamiya, too, since very few of his characters are actually owned to some degree by his company.

If anything, people will be even more annoyed that a text "leak" for the apparent remaining characters turned out to be wrong...when they're so easy to fake to start with.

Besides, the Ballot's results are accounted for future games, and that's already had an effect. In 6 or 7 years, who knows?

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Lol what happened to talking about Hayabusa in Smash? I come back to find the stages of grief
To get back on topic, If Hayabusa makes it in, will Yuri (Fatal Frame) and Suezo (Monster Rancher) get mii costumes? Both are owned by Tecmo. I want to see more obscure 3rd party characters get mii costumes after Goemon and Travis (No More Heroes).

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'll just say that as much as I hate to admit it, the flame wars are coming and from people that possess the maturity to avoid it. Let's try to avoid it in this thread at least. Deal?
The best we can do is to at least prevent flame wars or ignore them. Also, think before we post anything, because its possible to trigger flame wars by accident.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'll just say that as much as I hate to admit it, the flame wars are coming and from people that possess the maturity to avoid it. Let's try to avoid it in this thread at least. Deal?
After the last newcomer in Ultimate is announced, I'm leaving Smashboards until Smash 6 speculation starts.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just ignore the boards when that happens, but sure.

Conversely, none of you will feel too gypped if Hayabusa doesn't get in, right? I'm still only 50% in regards to him.
I mean I’ll be bummed out because he and Doom Slayer are my most wanted right now and Doom Slayer seems increasingly unlikely. However the game is already perfect with everyone I did get; Snake back, Ridley, Simon, K. Rool, Banjo, even some nice surprises like Joker, Hero, Terry, Steve, and Sephiroth.

There’s literally no way I could be upset with this game.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How can we prevent the flame wars?
In the Smash community as a whole? We can't. But the modderaters back during Smash 4 speculation completely shut off the Smash 4 Newcomer section before Bayonetta was announced as once they announced the last fighter was coming, the Smashboards modderaters shut down the speculation support threads and everything excluding the character Social threads before the last character announcement. They will probably do the same with the Ultimate Newcomer section as soon as it is announced when the last fighter is coming.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I just really, REALLY want Ryu Hayabusa to make it in as a playable character, all of these characters (Mario, Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Ryu (Street Fighter), Cloud, Bayonetta, Simon Belmont, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry Bogard, and Steve) are so precious and nostalgic to me, each character is a character I knew before they came to Smash as I played many of their games, Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Cloud, and Ryu (Street Fighter) were part of my childhood/elementary years, Hero, Terry, Simon, Hayabusa, and Snake were part of my teenage/middle school years, and Joker, Bayonetta, and Steve were all part of my adult/high school years so I have a connection with all of them which I personally find is super awesome as it’s more enjoyable to be a fan of the series already and then it comes to Smash rather than become a fan because the series comes to Smash in my opinion as it’s more satisfying to already be a fan (I’m not saying it’s a bad thing to become a fan because a series is introduced into Smash though in fact I’m happy many people enjoy a new series because of that!). So that’s why I really want Ryu Hayabusa as he would make the game complete to me and if he did arrive, then honestly my life would be complete, a game that has all my favorite characters in it? **** YEAH! That’s why I want him so SO badly, so yeah I would be a bit bummed out if he didn’t make it in as it would be suck and be such a missed opportunity but I would get over if eventually yeah, but I REALLY want it to happen

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Kasumi would have a tougher go, seeing as Sak has trouble finding a way to translate Tekken's 3D arena gameplay into Smash, let alone DOA's.

This is probably why fake leakers latched on to Hayabusa for so long; he's currently the only KT character that is easy enough to add and is not either co-owned or based on a historical figure.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Kasumi would have a tougher go, seeing as Sak has trouble finding a way to translate Tekken's 3D arena gameplay into Smash, let alone DOA's.

This is probably why fake leakers latched on to Hayabusa for so long; he's currently the only KT character that is easy enough to add and is not either co-owned or based on a historical figure.
Is it really a big deal that being based on a historical figure land you in the automatic deconfirm spot as that did not prevent a Character based on greek god and Bram Stoker's character reaching into Smash? (Also no worries, just hopping in for awhile)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Regardless, Kawashima doesn't account for much, seeing as it's a heavy caricature of him. Pretty much the same as Dr. Wright being based on Will Wright.

In any case, an exception does not make the rule.

Is it really a big deal that being based on a historical figure land you in the automatic deconfirm spot as that did not prevent a Character based on greek god and Bram Stoker's character reaching into Smash? (Also no worries, just hopping in for awhile)
Three Kingdoms is pretty huge in Japan. We're talking a loosely-based fictional account of a real-life war (DW basically being an adaptation of an adaptation). At least with the latter, mythologies/legends get a pass.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Three Kingdoms is pretty huge in Japan. We're talking a loosely-based fictional account of a real-life war. At least with the latter, mythologies/legends get a pass.
I mean Dynasty/Samurai Warriors isn't really trying their hardest to be historically accurate (when they purposely make half of the male character be a hot young stud), that honor goes to Nobunaga's Ambition and Romance of the Three Kingdom the game which not in anyway related to the Warriors series, but I get what you are saying. And also it's public domain just like Dracula

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don’t think there’s anything so incredibly minute as a technicality that’s holding back a Warriors/Musou Character. I actually think they’re rather likely. They’re a lot more of a VG character as Dracula is in their appearances in DW and SW so I don’t think there’ll be much push there unless there’s an actual living relative of someone or something. Not sure how that would work.

The way I look at it with Hayabusa and say Yukimura Sanada, who is my choice of a Warriors rep, is the same way I looked at Banjo and Steve. Banjo is the legacy character while Steve is their modern cash cow. Not sure if that’s actually the case for either company but it’s just how I’ve seen it. I do think they both have competition from newer IP though. Atelier and Nioh are definitely very popular right now.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Given that we now have had a Hyrule Warriors, Pokemon gen 8, and Ring Fit spirit event I'm wondering if we're not getting another first party character for this pass... What do y'all think?

Of course, it's possible we could still get a character from those franchises, but it still seems odd to have a spirit event BEFORE releasing a character that would come with similar spirits. Although, Pokemon would obviously still have many spirits they could use.

What series left is even a candidate? I don't count on them not going with a shill pick, so the only other major one I can think of is possibly a rep from BotW2.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Given that we now have had a Hyrule Warriors, Pokemon gen 8, and Ring Fit spirit event I'm wondering if we're not getting another first party character for this pass... What do y'all think?

Of course, it's possible we could still get a character from those franchises, but it still seems odd to have a spirit event BEFORE releasing a character that would come with similar spirits. Although, Pokemon would obviously still have many spirits they could use.

What series left is even a candidate? I don't count on them not going with a shill pick, so the only other major one I can think of is possibly a rep from BotW2.
To be perfectly honest, I don't think we're getting another first party rep this pass since we got MinMin. The list of candidates for highly wanted first party reps is pretty small right now: Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, any new Xenoblade rep like Pyra/Mythra and Elma, Isaac from Golden Sun, and anyone from Rhythm Heaven.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
To be perfectly honest, I don't think we're getting another first party rep this pass since we got MinMin. The list of candidates for highly wanted first party reps is pretty small right now: Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, any new Xenoblade rep like Pyra/Mythra and Elma, Isaac from Golden Sun, and anyone from Rhythm Heaven.
Aren't people speculating Porky too when it comes to Nintendo characters? Since his spirit's still missing from the game

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I don’t think there’s anything so incredibly minute as a technicality that’s holding back a Warriors/Musou Character. I actually think they’re rather likely. They’re a lot more of a VG character as Dracula is in their appearances in DW and SW so I don’t think there’ll be much push there unless there’s an actual living relative of someone or something. Not sure how that would work.

The way I look at it with Hayabusa and say Yukimura Sanada, who is my choice of a Warriors rep, is the same way I looked at Banjo and Steve. Banjo is the legacy character while Steve is their modern cash cow. Not sure if that’s actually the case for either company but it’s just how I’ve seen it. I do think they both have competition from newer IP though. Atelier and Nioh are definitely very popular right now.
The thing about DW though is that it's so oversaturated with characters that it's hard for any one character to stand out. Ryu just makes so much more sense to me given how widely he's known and his marketability.
I hope you're right honestly. Expanding Smash's universe with even more iconic characters is just so much more appealing to me.
Aren't people speculating Porky too when it comes to Nintendo characters? Since his spirit's still missing from the game
From what I've seen people have mostly been speculating that he would return as a boss, possibly coinciding with the release of a boss rush mode. I don't really see that happening though, especially after seeing Sephiroth's classic mode, and I REALLY don't think we'll be getting a playable Porky.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Porky has been forgotten to the point that I think it was a genuine accident. Doesn't help that the Mother series is finished, as far as everyone is concerned.

That being said, a bunch of anniversaries are being celebrated this year, so I won't entirely overlook the possibility of one more first-party getting in the pass.

As for Hayabusa, still gotta wait and see if that rumor of him getting a new project pans out.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
The thing about DW though is that it's so oversaturated with characters that it's hard for any one character to stand out. Ryu just makes so much more sense to me given how widely he's known and his marketability.
The oversaturation problem with DW isn't really because of the character but more so the spin-off game oversaturated the original like HW and FEW cause everyone know Lu Bu and Zhao Yun is the main character even for people who don't know nothing about DW.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey guys. Sorry about the abrupt way I left a couple weeks ago. I was having... issues in my personal life, and with all that on top of feeling so stressed out while on other pages here, I needed to take a break from here for a bit. Hopefully I'm good to go now. Go Ryu and Kasumi!
It's great to have you back Dolphin. ;)

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The oversaturation problem with DW isn't really because of the character but more so the spin-off game oversaturated the original like HW and FEW cause everyone know Lu Bu and Zhao Yun is the main character even for people who don't know nothing about DW.
I uh, actually didn’t know their names. All’s fair I’m more of a SW fan than a DW fan so it’s comparable to Yukimura Sanada and Nobunaga Oda.

Top Bottom