• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, E3 reveals are a question of timing in regards to how close a character is to completion to showcase properly (and whether E3 didn't shatter into a million pieces like it did earlier this year). Both :ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie: got in E3 2019, and they're arguably in opposite spectrums of public/fan awareness.

Besides, E3 makes it easier for said character to get attention, since it's a big event.

D

Deleted member

Heck, he might even pull a Terry and bring in all sorts of Koei Tecmo content to Smash.
I doubt Hayabusa would bring an array of KT content like Terry did for SNK. If he was going to be in Smash, it would mainly be Ninja Gaiden content. The only other KT related content I could see are Mii Costumes from Team Ninja games (DoA & Nioh) or Tecmo Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Would Hayabusa's default outfit be his modern design or his classic NES look?
It could go either way. Sakurai is usually more retro-oriented with characters so I'm leaning towards the NES look, but it could be the modern one, especially if the trilogy is coming out in close proximity.

One thing's for sure: the first costume we'll see is probably the NES costume because they gotta do the NG1 intro for the trailer.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It could go either way. Sakurai is usually more retro-oriented with characters so I'm leaning towards the NES look, but it could be the modern one, especially if the trilogy is coming out in close proximity.

One thing's for sure: the first costume we'll see is probably the NES costume because they gotta do the NG1 intro for the trailer.
There is no way that we wouldn't get both looks with Hayabusa. Sakurai would acknowledge new and old alike without fail

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
There is no way that we wouldn't get both looks with Hayabusa. Sakurai would acknowledge new and old alike without fail
No one was saying we wouldn't get both. Anyways, I personally think they'll go with the modern look by default. It's just how Ninja Gaiden is these days despite not having a new game since 2014 (2012 for a new mainline installment). Ryu also still appears in Warriors Orochi and Dead or Alive in his modern appearance so I think they know where they'd stand.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Sooooo does anyone else on here get the feeling that Ryu might be next? I don't have any evidence to support this aside from the supposed Ninja Gaiden Sigma Remasters for PS4 and Switch being leaked for a March release, which is around the time I'm predicting the next fighter reveal due to that also being the month when the Banjo, Terry and Byleth Amiibos come out (in Japan, at least). Not to mention I remember a couple months ago someone asking Vergeben on GameFaqs about Ryu coming to Smash, and he said that he knew that Nintendo and Koei Tecmo had been talking about Smash, and that he'd be surprised if it didn't result in anything due to the 2 companies relationship. I know Vergeben's Smash Ultimate DLC track record hasn't been really good, but I still find myself coming back to that discussion nonetheless.

I don't know, I've just got the feeling that Ryu's gonna wind up being Challenger 9. I feel like it's finally his time 😀🙏

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sooooo does anyone else on here get the feeling that Ryu might be next? I don't have any evidence to support this aside from the supposed Ninja Gaiden Sigma Remasters for PS4 and Switch being leaked for a March release, which is around the time I'm predicting the next fighter reveal due to that also being the month when the Banjo, Terry and Byleth Amiibos come out (in Japan, at least). Not to mention I remember a couple months ago someone asking Vergeben on GameFaqs about Ryu coming to Smash, and he said that he knew that Nintendo and Koei Tecmo had been talking about Smash, and that he'd be surprised if it didn't result in anything due to the 2 companies relationship. I know Vergeben's Smash Ultimate DLC track record hasn't been really good, but I still find myself coming back to that discussion nonetheless.

I don't know, I've just got the feeling that Ryu's gonna wind up being Challenger 9. I feel like it's finally his time 😀🙏
Well, technically Verge has a pretty good DLC track record all things considered. Mostly because he doesn’t have one. He kind of dipped after the Grinch debacle, came back only to reaffirm Erdrick who ended up being a lot of heroes instead of just him, confirmed Banjo after Shinobi, and confirmed Terry before everyone as the SNK rep. Then he dipped again because of the Sabi drama. All things considered he hasn’t been the front man for DLC content like he was with base but it’s mostly because he wants to stay out of drama after all of that other stuff.

Like, the fact that he stood by Minecraft “content”, never really elaborated on that further than that, for so long even though people thought he was an idiot is really telling as to how he is with his leaks. If he heard Sephiroth then he probably didn’t tell just to be safe because if I’m not mistaken he was a big reason “seven squares” was a thing which consisted of “Erdrick (hero), Eleven (hero), Slime (kinda Hero), Sephiroth (now confirmed), Geno (there kinda:urg:), Crono, and Sora” the only two that haven’t come into Smash in some way are Crono and Sora meaning that his leak has actually been pretty damn spot on, even if Hero, Sephiroth, Geno, and Steve all took a while to come.

tl;dr Vergeben’s DLC record isn’t bad, it’s more nonexistent. He kind of dipped for a while and only came back to back up claims. The fact that he came out and said “yeah KT and Nintendo had talks and I’d be surprised if nothing came of it”, even after the surprising lack of KT content AT ALL in base or Spirit Events, is a pretty damn good sign.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, technically Verge has a pretty good DLC track record all things considered. Mostly because he doesn’t have one. He kind of dipped after the Grinch debacle, came back only to reaffirm Erdrick who ended up being a lot of heroes instead of just him, confirmed Banjo after Shinobi, and confirmed Terry before everyone as the SNK rep. Then he dipped again because of the Sabi drama. All things considered he hasn’t been the front man for DLC content like he was with base but it’s mostly because he wants to stay out of drama after all of that other stuff.

Like, the fact that he stood by Minecraft “content”, never really elaborated on that further than that, for so long even though people thought he was an idiot is really telling as to how he is with his leaks. If he heard Sephiroth then he probably didn’t tell just to be safe because if I’m not mistaken he was a big reason “seven squares” was a thing which consisted of “Erdrick (hero), Eleven (hero), Slime (kinda Hero), Sephiroth (now confirmed), Geno (there kinda:urg:), Crono, and Sora” the only two that haven’t come into Smash in some way are Crono and Sora meaning that his leak has actually been pretty damn spot on, even if Hero, Sephiroth, Geno, and Steve all took a while to come.

tl;dr Vergeben’s DLC record isn’t bad, it’s more nonexistent. He kind of dipped for a while and only came back to back up claims. The fact that he came out and said “yeah KT and Nintendo had talks and I’d be surprised if nothing came of it”, even after the surprising lack of KT content AT ALL in base or Spirit Events, is a pretty damn good sign.
Not to mention the massive legacy Ninja Gaiden has in terms of not just its appearances on Nintendo consoles, but also to Koei Tecmo as a whole. A lot of its major IPs are tied to it in some way, whether its directly with DOA or indirectly via ancestry with Nioh.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Probably bull**** but I think it’s somewhat worth sharing:View attachment 296208
Likely fake and some lucky guesses. I don't think Rayman is coming, and Doom has already been more or less deconfirmed by the developers themselves.
So I get the skepticism here, really I do, but I honestly don't feel like this is something we can easily ignore.

Getting THAT many lucky guesses is ridiculously difficult. Even if you consider that they knew an ARMS rep was on the way. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some legitimate connections.

Doomguy is definately the main point of contention I think, and understandably so. Still, I wouldn't say it's impossible to see him make the jump to playable.

Moreover, we should consider the mention of Ninjara, who turned out to be a Mii Costume instead of a fighter. It's possible this person heard some names, but isn't positive on how exactly they will be implemented in the game. For example, I could see a Doom Mii Costume still happening even if we don't get a full character.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this post more or less turns out to be right. I think at the very least one of these characters will be fully playable.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
So I get the skepticism here, really I do, but I honestly don't feel like this is something we can easily ignore.

Getting THAT many lucky guesses is ridiculously difficult. Even if you consider that they knew an ARMS rep was on the way. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some legitimate connections.

Doomguy is definately the main point of contention I think, and understandably so. Still, I wouldn't say it's impossible to see him make the jump to playable.

Moreover, we should consider the mention of Ninjara, who turned out to be a Mii Costume instead of a fighter. It's possible this person heard some names, but isn't positive on how exactly they will be implemented in the game. For example, I could see a Doom Mii Costume still happening even if we don't get a full character.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this post more or less turns out to be right. I think at the very least one of these characters will be fully playable.
Hate to be a partypooper but apparently that screenshot came from Discord so chances are someone edited the whole thing.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Probably bull**** but I think it’s somewhat worth sharing:View attachment 296208
Kind of a late post, but eh... I don't buy it. I saw an anonymous post like this on GameFaqs last year that had been posted in I believe early or mid 2019 that had Joker, Erdrick, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry Bogard and KOS-MOS listed on there. Obviously, the 5th character wound up being Byleth, so that was the nail in that leaks' coffin. I was impressed that they managed to get the first 4 right though. But because of that, I don't really tend to believe random posts like this, even IF it has Hayabusa listed on there...

I'm still pulling for him, but I don't think this means anything

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Seems like Team Ninja is putting the Nioh series on hiatus. They're really good games, but hopefully this break means they will turn their attention back to NG.
Aw man, what a damn shame. I really loved Nioh 1 and was looking forward to getting Nioh 2 Complete for PS5. I guess it’s understandable though since the stories of both are so intertwined and self contained they would stop it after this one but it’s still a shame.

And yeah, I know rumors of NG4 and of course the NGSTrilogy have been floating for a WHILE now so I’m guessing they’re moving forward with those but still, I do wish KT was big enough to keep a Nioh 3 (maybe with a shift in time period) AND a NG4 going.
Wait, I found the original post:

So it was an actual post even if it isn't legit.
Yeah, I think it’s interesting but it really wasn’t presented as a leak in the first place which has me suspicious. Worst case, best case for us, is that Hayabusa is next and that gives this leak credence. Only problem with that is that Hayabusa has been rumored for so long that even if he did make it I don’t think it means much for Doom Slayer (my second most wanted) and Rayman (another of my most wanted) so going forward this leak will be interesting to see play out.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Yeah, I think it’s interesting but it really wasn’t presented as a leak in the first place which has me suspicious. Worst case, best case for us, is that Hayabusa is next and that gives this leak credence. Only problem with that is that Hayabusa has been rumored for so long that even if he did make it I don’t think it means much for Doom Slayer (my second most wanted) and Rayman (another of my most wanted) so going forward this leak will be interesting to see play out.
Right, it's not even clear to me if this is a prediction list or a wishlist. If it's the latter, then this probably isn't a leak at all. It's just a person that got some of their most wanted.

So yea, I know I should be cautious on this, but it's worth keeping an eye on at the same time.

Even as someone who has Crash as their most wanted, I would be completely fine if this turned out to be the rest of the pass. I'd have Ryu of course, and Rayman and Doom Guy easily make my top 10! :grin:

D

Deleted member

Seems like Team Ninja is putting the Nioh series on hiatus. They're really good games, but hopefully this break means they will turn their attention back to NG.
Well that's unexpected. I guess they're going to leave it at 2 then.

It also makes me wonder if this report about Koei-Tecmo looking to launch a new IP in 2022 with the goal of selling over 5 million copies means Team Ninja are the head developers of this new game. While I wouldn't rule out the possibility of another Ninja Gaiden game potentially being in the works or being the game Koei-Tecmo are referring to, this new IP is probably Team Ninja's top priority at the moment.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I mean, that's wise most of the time, but, of course, sometimes the leaks are real.
If you throw enough darts randomly, you'll eventually hit a bullseye.
But usually real leaks get picked up quickly.
Who here really doubted Erdrick would be in Smash or that Super Mario 3D All-Stars was real?

Right, it's not even clear to me if this is a prediction list or a wishlist. If it's the latter, then this probably isn't a leak at all. It's just a person that got some of their most wanted.

So yea, I know I should be cautious on this, but it's worth keeping an eye on at the same time.

Even as someone who has Crash as their most wanted, I would be completely fine if this turned out to be the rest of the pass. I'd have Ryu of course, and Rayman and Doom Guy easily make my top 10! :grin:
Holy ****, same! Crash is my most wanted (was Banjo), but Doom Slayer, Hayabusa, and Rayman are about as good as one can get without Crash.
And it makes so much sense, as Koei-Tecmo has a Fatal Frame Assist Trophy, Bethesda has the Vault Boy Deluxe Mii Costume, and Ubisoft has a Rayman Spirit in the base game as well as Altaïr and Rabbids Mii Costumes.
These are also three of the most universally rumored newcomers, so this makes a copius amount of sense.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
How much of Hayabusa's moveset do you think would come from DOA vs his home series? I would bet you the most would be the grabs.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
How much of Hayabusa's moveset do you think would come from DOA vs his home series? I would bet you the most would be the grabs.
Maybe some leg attacks for tilts. Grabs are a must such as Guillotine Throw as forward throw and Izuna Drop as up throw. His teleportation moves from Ongyoin Stance would make an easy Up Special. Some taunts could also come from DOA as well.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Dead or Alive has exactly 0 Weapon attacks in game as per the DOA tournament rules so, considering most people’s moveset wants have either a katana or multiple weapons, hopefully not too much. Maybe a few attacks like his jab or something but not much more.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
And then this was posted
The image literally shows the post date, two days after Sephiroth was revealed.

Geno appearing in that video also was not only kind of assumed, but even if it wasn't, was a very safe guess. This doesn't mean anything unless it was posted prior to Min Min or at the very latest, Steve's reveal.

PowerfulSugar

Smash Rookie
Is IamShifty still credible? I haven't heard about him in a while, but I remember him always claiming during FP1 that Hayabusa would be next. If I recall, he got Piranha Plant and Marx as a boss correct, which aren't easy to guess. Is he still saying Ryu is in or has something happened to hit his credibility? I just really want Hayabusa in and would love to know in detail anything that could point to his inclusion.

Top Bottom