• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If that’s how it worked we wouldn’t have had Byleth and Hero on the same Pass. Besides Ryu has many more mechanics up his sleeve than just the katana.
Those were different swords. Right now, if there's a Hayabusa mii costume or a tournament dedicated to swords, THAT would go against him.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
In any case.

Am I disappointed that a character I wanted wasn't in... lil bit. But am I low key ecstatic to see a character that rarely anyone expected. Absolutely. No one. Myself included, wouldve saw this coming and I for one am glad that Smash can surprise me like this.

To the people that wanted Sephiroth. Congrats, I hope hes fun, he comes with good music and that his stage is good.

Whether this ruins Hayabusa's chancs will be seen next week.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Those were different swords. Right now, if there's a Hayabusa mii costume or a tournament dedicated to swords, THAT would go against him.
Mii costume? Yeah, maybe so.

Tournament dedicated to swords? Absolutely not.

Whether this ruins Hayabusa's chancs will be seen next week.
How can it ruin Hayabusa's chances? I don't get that.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
SEPHIROTH! HOLY *ING *!!! IM STILL FREAKING OUT!!!!

So the rumor I had heard was that Ryu Hayabusa was a Mii Costume and that scares me with the addition of Sepiroth as Geno and Hayabusa might be costumes alongside him, but if he’s not then Ryu Hayabusa will almost definitely be a fighter
where is this rumor?

Flik

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I'd be worried about is that, since every DLC character is so far ultra different from another, Hayabusa may be seem as visually "too similar" to Sephiroth (all black outfit).

With that said, I'm not worried about it, not one bit.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The only thing I'd be worried about is that, since every DLC character is so far ultra different from another, Hayabusa may be seem as visually "too similar" to Sephiroth (all black outfit).

oh no Ryu has a monster load amount of different weapons Than sephiroth has and he got

sephiroth Doesn't hurt him at all

oh and take with grain of salt

posted way earlier

as you can see are boy Ryu is on the board

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Ryu Hayabusa is one of the few characters I feel is very, very likely. Nintendo has been working with Koei consistently and they just developed two of Nintendo's recent biggest games with Fire Emblem Three Houses and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. Also remember Ninja Gaiden 3 was originally a Wii-U launch title in 2012 and debuted on Wii-U a year before it came out on PS3/360 after.

I find it hard to believe Nintendo and Koei are this close where Nintendo is trusting them to make games based on Fire Emblem and Zelda, plus having Ninja Gaiden's NES games appear on the NES Classic and Nintendo Switch Online...for nothing to come out of it.

And besides that we know the Ninja Gaiden Sigma trilogy is getting remastered for Switch/PS4, so it's hard to believe after all this Koei was never considered for a character. Sakurai also likely grew up playing the NES Ninja Gaiden games when he was younger and the recent games on Xbox/PS3, etc.

The lack of any spirits for any Koei/Tecmo characters (not counting Fatal Frame) is suspicious too because they're like the last big Japanese developer with almost no presence in Smash at all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ryu Hayabusa is one of the few characters I feel is very, very likely. Nintendo has been working with Koei consistently and they just developed two of Nintendo's recent biggest games with Fire Emblem Three Houses and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. Also remember Ninja Gaiden 3 was originally a Wii-U launch title in 2012 and debuted on Wii-U a year before it came out on PS3/360 after.

I find it hard to believe Nintendo and Koei are this close where Nintendo is trusting them to make games based on Fire Emblem and Zelda, plus having Ninja Gaiden's NES games appear on the NES Classic and Nintendo Switch Online...for nothing to come out of it.

And besides that we know the Ninja Gaiden Sigma trilogy is getting remastered for Switch/PS4, so it's hard to believe after all this Koei was never considered for a character. Sakurai also likely grew up playing the NES Ninja Gaiden games when he was younger and the recent games on Xbox/PS3, etc.

The lack of any spirits for any Koei/Tecmo characters (not counting Fatal Frame) is suspicious too because they're like the last big Japanese developer with almost no presence in Smash at all.
Apart from Level 5, that is true

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Not gonna lie, my heart skipped a beat when I saw Galeem split in half. I really thought it was Hayabusa until I heard One-Winged Angel and then I was hyped for a completely different reason.

3 down, 3 to go. Hopefully Hayabusa gets one of those last three spots.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, my heart skipped a beat when I saw Galeem split in half. I really thought it was Hayabusa until I heard One-Winged Angel and then I was hyped for a completely different reason.

3 down, 3 to go. Hopefully Hayabusa gets one of those last three spots.
My theory is that they're going to still recreate the original NES game opening with Sheik and Greninja and have Hayabusa interrupt it.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if that list is legit. Anybody can make a long list of video game characters that has a chance of being in Smash.

But there is one thing about that list that keeps bugging me; the lack of any Double Dragon or River City characters. That's always been so puzzling to me when I see lists like that. When you think about it, Smash Bros probably has more in common with the beat'em up genre that it has with anything else. I just find it hard to believe that Sakurai, Nintendo, or Namco would overlook that. Of course, there are spirits of some of the River City characters so at least they are acknowledged in Smash but there doesn't seem to be as much talk about them as I thought.

I am glad to see Bill from Contra get mentioned, though. I would love to see him and Lance in Smash. But I always looked at Double Dragon as the beat'em up counterpart to Contra (even though they're from different companies) and that's what got me thinking about that when I saw that list.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if that list is legit. Anybody can make a long list of video game characters that has a chance of being in Smash.

But there is one thing about that list that keeps bugging me; the lack of any Double Dragon or River City characters. That's always been so puzzling to me when I see lists like that. When you think about it, Smash Bros probably has more in common with the beat'em up genre that it has with anything else. I just find it hard to believe that Sakurai, Nintendo, or Namco would overlook that. Of course, there are spirits of some of the River City characters so at least they are acknowledged in Smash but there doesn't seem to be as much talk about them as I thought.

I am glad to see Bill from Contra get mentioned, though. I would love to see him and Lance in Smash. But I always looked at Double Dragon as the beat'em up counterpart to Contra (even though they're from different companies) and that's what got me thinking about that when I saw that list.
River City is in Smash already, Double Dragon I’d love to see, Konami’s Bill Rizer would be so cool, Ryu Hayabusa however is the one that seems to be the most requested out of all of them

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
River City is in Smash already, Double Dragon I’d love to see, Konami’s Bill Rizer would be so cool, Ryu Hayabusa however is the one that seems to be the most requested out of all of them
Yeah, I mentioned that River City was already in Smash as spirits so if that list is legit, then that could explain why none of the characters are on it. Still, River City but no Double Dragon? Kind of silly to me.

But yeah, Hayabusa does seem to be the most requested and fortunately, he's the only character on that list that's my most wanted...so far.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Unless there's a Fighter Pass 3, which I highly doubt.
I really think Hayabusa and Crash are coming. So, no worries here. But I'm starting to think Fighters Pass Vol. 3 is more likely than some people think. I mean, who ends on a two? All good things come in threes. Unless you're Valve.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
As a Nintendo property, it might not have BEEN an option.

Nintendo: "Okay, you're adding ARMS. Now you can pick the other 5." :p
I mean Captain Toad and Byleth are there. Also I’m pretty sure they’d simply have included an “Arms fighter” option instead of redundantly including every character separately on their list.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean Captain Toad and Byleth are there. Also I’m pretty sure they’d simply have included an “Arms fighter” option instead of redundantly including every character separately on their list.
Like I said, ARMS might have been a direct order. Doesn't mean every Nintendo character has to be.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Like I said, ARMS might have been a direct order. Doesn't mean every Nintendo character has to be.
Wouldn't Byleth fall in that same category? I mean its only purpose was pretty much just an attempt by Nintendo to promote Three Houses and if I'm not mistaken, Sakurai even apologized on the character's reveal stream, which kinda implies even he wasn't in favor.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

A black clad Ninja is still a far cry from Silver haired JRPG Villain. Just because they wear black doesn’t make them aesthetically similar.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
A black clad Ninja is still a far cry from Silver haired JRPG Villain. Just because they wear black doesn’t make them aesthetically similar.
I agree, just brought it as a possibility - a silly one, but still possible - considering how wildly different the DLC characters are so far.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Sephiroth was a great reveal for me personally, but I think I'll breathe a little easier once the 17th is over and we didn't see a Ryu Mii. Seems possible given that they both use katanas, but I feel like we'll be okay.

If Ryu is safe, I think we'll see him in March around the next Amiibo wave. Seems like a great time given the upcoming NG Switch ports. I think E3 is less likely unless there's a double reveal, but I feel like the last three will be spaced out more than that. He could even be the last character, but honestly I'm expecting someone really big to end Smash Ultimate DLC.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Also the continual non-existence of any Koei franchises in Smash at all is a good sign. As I mentioned in my post above they're developing big Nintendo games lately and heavy hitters. Yet Smash is devoid of nearly all Koei content, even Spirits for say Dynasty Warriors or any other Koei franchise.

I don't think Smash would be so devoid of content for their company if they didn't have a character coming. Not to mention Ryu Hayabusa originally being an NES icon would have surely had a spirit by now like so many others if he was never planned to be playable.

For those who are interested (fans of the 2D Ninja Gaiden trilogy i guess), we got a release date for Cyber Shadow earlier today during the Indie World showcase, it's coming out on January 26th:

Like i said a while ago, this game kinda looks like a fusion between Ninja Gaiden and Mega Man (it's a bit harder to see in the fast paced trailers but it's pretty clear when you take a look at the gameplay). Also it's developed by Yacht Club (the guys who made Shovel Knight) so yeah, i have a feeling that it'll be good.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
For those who are interested (fans of the 2D Ninja Gaiden trilogy i guess), we got a release date for Cyber Shadow earlier today during the Indie World showcase, it's coming out on January 26th:

Like i said a while ago, this game kinda looks like a fusion between Ninja Gaiden and Mega Man (it's a bit harder to see in the fast paced trailers but it's pretty clear when you take a look at the gameplay). Also it's developed by Yacht Club (the guys who made Shovel Knight) so yeah, i have a feeling that it'll be good.
First it was The Messenger, now it's this game. This just shows how much of an influence the NES Ninja Gaiden games are.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Much like Persona, Contra is another one of those franchises that everybody knows, but is rarely discussed. I also want Bill (Contra) to be playable as well. Not to mention I initially wanted Bill (Contra) and Hayabusa to be assist trophies, but then I eventually changed my mind and thought that they would make the roster more complete.

Last edited:
Top Bottom