• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I feel like given Sakurai's attention to detail in the past, and that both versions are popular, he's going to give us a blend of classic and modern Ryu. How exactly that will look is still a mystery.

That said, what is something you feel pretty much NEEDS to be in his moveset for you to be satisfied?

For me, besides the probably most obvious things like basic shuriken, Izuna Drop and Ninpo, I really want Ryu to be combo oriented and to have his Windmill Shuriken. The latter is just a really unique projectile that we haven't seen in Smash before, and could definitely lead to some interesting set-ups.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I feel like given Sakurai's attention to detail in the past, and that both versions are popular, he's going to give us a blend of classic and modern Ryu. How exactly that will look is still a mystery.
Honestly, that feels compeletely redundant. I think a much better and more realistic option would be to have both as alternate costumes.
And while I do feel like Ryu's NES kimono is slightly more iconic than his modern one, I think the black kimono will probably end up being his default. Sakurai doesn't really seem to mind having a characters' more iconic/recognizable version as an alt and the more recent/modern version as the main one (Wario, Link).

That said, what is something you feel pretty much NEEDS to be in his moveset for you to be satisfied?
The red shadow/phantom ninja(s) ability from The Dark Sword of Chaos, without a shadow of a doubt (no pun intended).
Seriously, it'd be such a missed opportunity if they don't include that, seeing how it could potentially be incorporated into such a powerful and unique gimmick.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Given we have new and old alts of Wario, Ike, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Hero (if you want to think about them like that), I find it more likely that Sakurai will just include modern and classic alts. Also, the last 3 are 3rd Party and were DLC at least once. Not to mention, Koei Tecmo would have to approve of such a hypothetical new design which I personally think they wouldn't accept. I mean, do you really want a new design for Hayabusa if we could just get both designs which would be the best both worlds?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Honestly, that feels compeletely redundant. I think a much better and more realistic option would be to have both as alternate costumes.
And while I do feel like Ryu's NES kimono is slightly more iconic than his modern one, I think the black kimono will probably end up being his default. Sakurai doesn't really seem to mind having a characters' more iconic/recognizable version as an alt and the more recent/modern version as the main one (Wario, Link).
Given we have new and old alts of Wario, Ike, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Hero (if you want to think about them like that), I find it more likely that Sakurai will just include modern and classic alts. Also, the last 3 are 3rd Party and were DLC at least once. Not to mention, Koei Tecmo would have to approve of such a hypothetical new design which I personally think they wouldn't accept. I mean, do you really want a new design for Hayabusa if we could just get both designs which would be the best both worlds?
I suppose I should've specified. I meant a blend of classic and modern Ryu in his moveset not appearance.

The red shadow/phantom ninja(s) ability from The Dark Sword of Chaos, without a shadow of a doubt (no pun intended).
Seriously, it'd be such a missed opportunity if they don't include that, seeing how it could potentially be incorporated into such a powerful and unique gimmick.
Sounds interesting! Could potentially be broken though if not implemented properly. Lol

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I suppose I should've specified. I meant a blend of classic and modern Ryu in his moveset not appearance.
Ah. In that case, Ryu has like 4 sword moves in classic Ninja Gaiden, most of them the same move.

1. Standing slash
2. Crouching slash
3. Jumping slash
4. Spinning aerial slash (a powerup)

And then we have other powerups and ninpo like shuriken, windmill shuriken, fire wheel, flying fire wheels, etc. Add in Guillotine Throw which comes from Arcade Ninja Gaiden. The rest would then have to come from modern Ninja Gaiden with some influence from Dead or Alive. This would be my mix of moves between classic and modern. I honestly can't see any other way you could go about it. Ryu has so few moves in classic Ninja Gaiden, he would be representing classic Ninja Gaiden by default due to it. My problem with his sword sheathe placement in both classic and modern designs still bothers me with how to accurately represent both but what can you do.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I just want to point this out that in an interview with Koch Media (a Spanish gaming news outlet) Yosuke Hayashi was asked if he would like to see Ryu Hayavusa appear in the Super Smash Bros. series to which he said he would absolutely be down for that, but at the time (2013) there was no negotiations between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo for that (again this is Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS/WiiU time.) With recent negotiations having been supposedly leaked between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo and Yosuke Hayashi being very prominent in helping Nintendo with Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, you have to think did it go somewhere this time? I have also made this argument before but I will say it again, we are now at a point where a lot of the main picks have been done, like Simon Belmont, Banjo & Kazooie, Joker, Terry Bogard, Hero, and now Steve from MINECRAFT we’re all choices that were not represented in Smash and now that there all here it kinda begs the question “who should we pick now?” “Well you got an NES legend from the late 1980’s/early 1990’s who probably one of the most famous video game characters in history as well as establishing some principles that are used in games to this day.” So if Yosuke Hayashi has given his blessing and the only thing that was needed was negotiations between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo and now that supposed negotiations have quote on quote happened according to insiders, I’m really hoping we will see gaming’s most beloved Ninja Ryu Hayabusa join the fight!
Interview Translation:
A19B27B4-555F-4091-AA67-D4576E8C78A3.jpeg

DFB71436-7279-4753-A5DA-68A6B7D3A379.png

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I just want to point this out that in an interview with Koch Media (a Spanish gaming news outlet) Yosuke Hayashi was asked if he would like to see Ryu Hayavusa appear in the Super Smash Bros. series to which he said he would absolutely be down for that, but at the time (2013) there was no negotiations between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo for that (again this is Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS/WiiU time.) With recent negotiations having been supposedly leaked between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo and Yosuke Hayashi being very prominent in helping Nintendo with Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, you have to think did it go somewhere this time? I have also made this argument before but I will say it again, we are now at a point where a lot of the main picks have been done, like Simon Belmont, Banjo & Kazooie, Joker, Terry Bogard, Hero, and now Steve from MINECRAFT we’re all choices that were not represented in Smash and now that there all here it kinda begs the question “who should we pick now?” “Well you got an NES legend from the late 1980’s/early 1990’s who probably one of the most famous video game characters in history as well as establishing some principles that are used in games to this day.” So if Yosuke Hayashi has given his blessing and the only thing that was needed was negotiations between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo and now that supposed negotiations have quote on quote happened according to insiders, I’m really hoping we will see gaming’s most beloved Ninja Ryu Hayabusa join the fight!
Interview Translation:View attachment 292001
View attachment 292000
Interesting. I haven't seen this article ever, probably because it was only ever in Spanish. Also, this interview was published on February 17, 2012 before Ninja Gaiden 3 was released in March 2012. This is interesting not because Hayashi was talked to about Ryu in Smash Bros. but the timing of the article and what he said about not making any deals like that... yet.

Did you know Ryu was actually planned to appear in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale? Leaks surfaced before the game's release in August 2012 of future fighters planned to appear in Sony's brawler, including Ryu Hayabusa. The game was then released in November 2012 with no sign of him anywhere which, given how close they were to release when the leak appeared, Ryu was probably planned as a DLC character but somehow development on him fell through. You can find out more by searching Google but this image from EventHubs while kinda blurry, to me, confirms it:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Interview Translation:View attachment 292001
View attachment 292000
That's a good find. This makes his chances look even much better now than we may have thought.

Interesting. I haven't seen this article ever, probably because it was only ever in Spanish. Also, this interview was published on February 17, 2012 before Ninja Gaiden 3 was released in March 2012. This is interesting not because Hayashi was talked to about Ryu in Smash Bros. but the timing of the article and what he said about not making any deals like that... yet.

Did you know Ryu was actually planned to appear in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale? Leaks surfaced before the game's release in August 2012 of future fighters planned to appear in Sony's brawler, including Ryu Hayabusa. The game was then released in November 2012 with no sign of him anywhere which, given how close they were to release when the leak appeared, Ryu was probably planned as a DLC character but somehow development on him fell through. You can find out more by searching Google but this image from EventHubs while kinda blurry, to me, confirms it:
I heard about that.

I gotta admit, I had mixed feelings about that. While it would have been cool to have an iconic character like that in the game, I've never associated the Ninja Gaiden series with PlayStation. Nintendo and Xbox come to mind (mostly Nintendo for me) but PlayStation? I don't see that.

I love PlayStation All-Stars but Hayabusa fits much better in Smash, so I wasn't even bothered when I heard that he was cut from the roster However, there's another Koei Tecmo character, William Adams from Nioh, that fits much better in a PlayStation All-Stars game. Sony funded the first game and the second game is still exclusive to the PS4.

So yeah, the way I see it, Smash can have Hayabusa and PlayStation All-Stars can have William.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
That's good find. This makes his chances look even much better now than we may have thought.

I heard about that.

I gotta admit, I had mixed feelings about that. While it would have been cool to have an iconic character like that in the game, I've never associated the Ninja Gaiden series with PlayStation. Nintendo and Xbox come to mind (mostly Nintendo for me) but PlayStation? I don't see that.

I love PlayStation All-Stars but Hayabusa fits much better in Smash, so I wasn't even bothered when I heard that he was cut from the roster However, there's another Koei Tecmo character, William Adams from Nioh, that fits much better in a PlayStation All-Stars game. Sony funded the first game and the second game is still exclusive to the PS4.

So yeah, the way I see it, Smash can have Hayabusa and PlayStation All-Stars can have William.
I completely agree. I only brought up PSASBR because it shows that Yosuke Hayashi and Koei Tecmo are willing to put Ryu Hayabusa in a game that isn't already owned and developed by them. I would've liked to know the specifics of if SuperBot (PSASBR devs) approached K-T or vice-versa but it's good enough to know he was at least considered for an actual crossover fighting game. About Playstation, it does have the exclusive Sigma versions which are also rumored to be coming to PS4(?) and Switch.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I completely agree. I only brought up PSASBR because it shows that Yosuke Hayashi and Koei Tecmo are willing to put Ryu Hayabusa in a game that isn't already owned and developed by them. I would've liked to know the specifics of if SuperBot (PSASBR devs) approached K-T or vice-versa but it's good enough to know he was at least considered for an actual crossover fighting game. About Playstation, it does have the exclusive Sigma versions which are also rumored to be coming to PS4(?) and Switch.
Sure, the PlayStation consoles did have some of the updated versions but I'm more talking about the impression. The trilogy on the NES was what made it popular and the reboot first started on the Xbox, where he was one of the many faces of that console. I don't think he had the same impression on the PlayStation consoles and that's why I don't associate him with that.

If he was in PlayStation All-Stars, I wouldn't be hyped but I wouldn't be complaining either. Like you said, it shows that Koei Tecmo is willing lend their character in a crossover game and Hayabusa is a popular, iconic character, so it wouldn't do any harm. But personally, I prefer him to be in Smash nowadays and William to be in PSAS.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Sure, the PlayStation consoles did have some of the updated versions but I'm more talking about the impression. The trilogy on the NES was what made it popular and the reboot first started on the Xbox, where he was one of the many faces of that console. I don't think he had the same impression on the PlayStation consoles and that's why I don't associate him with that.

If he was in PlayStation All-Stars, I wouldn't be hyped but I wouldn't be complaining either. Like you said, it shows that Koei Tecmo is willing lend their character in a crossover game and Hayabusa is a popular, iconic character, so it wouldn't do any harm. But personally, I prefer him to be in Smash nowadays and William to be in PSAS.
Again, I agree. I wasn't saying I wanted him in Playstation All-Stars or anything. I was merely bringing it up for a point. I also associate modern Ninja Gaiden more with Xbox due to Itagaki's favoritism for Microsoft's consoles and massively prefer the original versions over the Sigma versions, myself.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman

Yes I am aware that Ryu Hayabusa was planned for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, however I agree with the notion that he should be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate instead as he fits there better

Last edited:

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
If Ryu Hayabusa got in PSASBR, his rival would have been Tombi/Tomba (props if you know who he is) as they where both planned together. I would have loved seeing their interaction together

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I remember the PlayStation All-stars leaks like it was yesterday so it seems weird that it’s been almost 8 years...

A lot of people originally though that the image with Ryu Hayabusa was fake because it also had Nariko, Ratchet, Jin Kazama and Kazuya Mishima from Tekken. Remember that this was even AFTER Heihachi was revealed. It’s rumored that this was a mistake but it likely was a look at the plans for the game going forward. 3 Tekken characters seems like a lot but this game was developed by some of the industries most storied fighting game devs including Seth Killian.

And it wasn’t long after development on the game seized when even bigger leaks started happening where Ryu’s name was found in the code alongside Tomba, Abe from Oddword started progressing in development, and Dart was almost done. And that’s the part that hurts me the most. I’m relieved that Hayabusa can now make it into Smash without having a clone on a competing game but Dart... Legend of Dragoon was my game man. It was the ONLY PlayStation game I played a whole lot and it just hurt me that we didn’t get him. Only hope for that franchise now is if somehow Bluepoint remakes it and... man.

My bad to bring the mood down but yeah the last days of PlayStation Allstars really bummed me out. I was hoping it would tide me over until Smash but it didn’t really even last long enough to do that unfortunately. Still, I am glad the characters that did make it in, like Big Daddy and Isaac Clarke, had their time to shine but I am grateful that Hayabusa didn’t because now he’s wide open for smash.

Heh, it’s funny. Ryu has been in rumors for a game like this since 2012... it’s about time the rumors stop and he makes it in.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I mean, Dante was in All-Stars, but I suppose you can say he wasn't really. I can't believe they used that reboot design... Sakurai would NEVER make that same mistake.
That was kinda the joke. I was pretending Dante wasn't in PSASBR because, you know, Donte isn't Dante.

Also, it was on Capcom for making the PSAS devs use Reboot Dante so they could do nothing about it. Raiden was also based on MGR:R Raiden which we didn't even know if that game was gonna be good at the time so people were skeptical of it.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
That was kinda the joke. I was pretending Dante wasn't in PSASBR because, you know, Donte isn't Dante.
I figured you were joking. Lol Just thought it was worth spelling out for others.

Also, it was on Capcom for making the PSAS devs use Reboot Dante so they could do nothing about it. Raiden was also based on MGR:R Raiden which we didn't even know if that game was gonna be good at the time so people were skeptical of it.
Ah I see, bad decision on Capcom's part then. I'm wondering though if someone like Sakurai would just not use Dante if that's what's being pushed.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Ah I see, bad decision on Capcom's part then. I'm wondering though if someone like Sakurai would just not use Dante if that's what's being pushed.
Well, seeing as Sakurai keeps reiterating that Nintendo is the one choosing the DLC, I don't think, this time, he has much power to decide if a character can get in or not based on their appearance, as was the case with Pac-Man and not wanting to use his new design in favor of his classic design in Smash 4. What he has stated in terms of Ultimate is he decides if can make the character work out in Smash and we pretty much know how well Ryu could work with 3 different game genres for him.

Now, it still makes me wonder why Sakurai couldn't get Heihachi to work in Smash despite being in PSAS prior to Smash 4.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't think it makes sense for Joker to be in that pic since his game came out after PSAS.

It also wouldn't make sense for Hayabusa either. Him not being in PSAS has never really been a problem for the fans and overall, I think more people prefer him to be in Smash.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I don't think it makes sense for Joker to be in that pic since his game came out after PSAS.
It makes sense if we think of Joker as a rep for the Persona series which is strongly associated with Playstation.

It also wouldn't make sense for Hayabusa either. Him not being in PSAS has never really been a problem for the fans and overall, I think more people prefer him to be in Smash.
I don't think it's as much about fan outcry as it is another All-Stars candidate getting into Smash instead. Sorry you don't like the meme.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Is there any type of crossover you always thought had every right to be a real thing, but sadly never was?

Mine’s this one:

View attachment 292657

This would’ve easily been huge in the 80’s/early 90’s... man, what a missed opportunity.
Really reminds me of that wild but incredible crossover that was Battletoads & Double Dragon. But I guess the main one that sticks out for me would be Splinter Cell x Metal Gear. Too bad that’ll never happen. In terms of Hayabusa I would’ve loved to see him crossover with DMC. Ryu and Dante were the action game poster boys for Xbox and PlayStation 2 respectively so it’d be rather poetic for them to crossover at some point as unlikely as it is.
Hayabusa will make it, I’m like 90% believing in him! So much potencial and amazing addition!
Good to see you making your optimistic rounds QQS. Stick around if you’d like.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
So here's something that may have been overlooked, Dynasty Warriors VS which was only released for the 3DS in Japan, not only features Ryu and Ayane but also Nintendo costumes of Link and Samus. Also note the background music when Link's costume is used, that's right it's the Smash 64 rendition of the overworld theme from Legend of Zelda.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So here's something that may have been overlooked, dynasty Warriors versus which was only released for the 3DS, not only features Ryu and Ayane but also Nintendo costumes of Link and Samus. Also note the background music when Link's costume is used, that's right it's the Smash 64 rendition of the overworld theme from Legend of Zelda.
That’s a good find

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
So here's something that may have been overlooked, Dynasty Warriors VS which was only released for the 3DS in Japan, not only features Ryu and Ayane but also Nintendo costumes of Link and Samus. Also note the background music when Link's costume is used, that's right it's the Smash 64 rendition of the overworld theme from Legend of Zelda.
I had already mentioned this earlier but it's nice to see a video posted here. Good find.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
That's really awesome... I'm wondering if this is the sole example of Ninja Gaiden and Nintendo content being in the same game?

Top Bottom