• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Finally beat Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES) earlier this week. So I'm two out of three for beating on original hardware. Can't make it very far in NG3 so I went ahead and double dipped by ordering the Famicom version; hopefully playing the game as it was originally designed will make it infinitely less frustrating.

Ryu has pretty much become the character I'd be the most excited for should he be announced.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Hmm that’s actually a good point. Nintendo has shown to be surprisingly pretty self aware sometimes as seen in the Marth nº8 Byleth reveal trailer with the “too many swordsmen, are there?” quote lol.

However with how long the development of Steve’s pack took as well as the urgent need to stay indoors still being a thing worldwide, I’m really not sure how far they’ve gone with the progress for the third fighter. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
I doubt that #3 will be any less prepared than Joker was. I'm almost certain that we'll be getting the character before April because that would create a very strict release schedule if they're sticking to the December 2021 deadline. I really wouldn't mind if it took awhile to get them after the announcement either. Personally I get tired of everything being played so close to the chest. I just want to KNOW who is coming you know?

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Personally I get tired of everything being so played so close to the chest. I just want to KNOW who is coming you know?
Oof I know that feeling! 😞

H-Hey look at that, we weren’t the only ones with this million dollar idea lol
Seriously tho, cool concept!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Oof I know that feeling! 😞

H-Hey look at that, we weren’t the only ones with this million dollar idea lol
Seriously tho, cool concept!
I honestly feel like the reveal can't be anything else at this point, and it seems like such a Sakurai thing to do.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I support Ryu Hayabusa in Smash. In fact, I expect him to be the next third party representative.

Nintendo and Koei Tecmo have been sleeping together for too long and they came out of their makeout session making such games as Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Age of Calamity. There's absolutely no way that Nintendo would ignore the fruitful partnership achieved with Koei Tecmo and what better way to reward that than to have Koei Tecmo's flagship character be represented in Super Smash Bros? And imagine if Ruy Hayabusa gets into Smash, we would get ourselves a soundtrack that's as large as Terry Bogard's was with his various SNK musical representation.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I want it to open up with the shot of 8-bit Ryu and 8-bit Sheik jumping in front of the moon before they clash and it kicks into high-octane high-quality Smash CGI of them just trying to kill each other. Bonus points if after he defeats Sheik he has to face off against Cloud and someone else just to prove how bad ass he is.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I support Ryu Hayabusa in Smash. In fact, I expect him to be the next third party representative.

Nintendo and Koei Tecmo have been sleeping together for too long and they came out of their makeout session making such games as Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Age of Calamity. There's absolutely no way that Nintendo would ignore the fruitful partnership achieved with Koei Tecmo and what better way to reward that than to have Koei Tecmo's flagship character be represented in Super Smash Bros? And imagine if Ruy Hayabusa gets into Smash, we would get ourselves a soundtrack that's as large as Terry Bogard's was with his various SNK musical representation.
Seeing how that game is Switch exclusive, it surprises me that they dind't brought back Link and Samus as originally intended for the Wii version of the first game.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman

I’ve said this many times and no I’m not trying to be negative as I’d love nothing more than for Ryu Hayabusa to join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but with him and ANY character for that matter, I NEVER like to say that they are a lock or 100% happening. The only time I’ll say that is if the evidence is a guarantee (ex: the SNK trademark leak that pretty much guaranteed Terry Bogard), then and only then will I say they are a guarantee. Of course once again, this is not a diss of any kind, I want Ryu Hayabusa in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate so bad that I honestly can’t take the wait anymore, I want to see if he is in or not, but I also don’t like jumping the gun either, so I guess in the end we’ll see

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I want it to open up with the shot of 8-bit Ryu and 8-bit Sheik jumping in front of the moon before they clash and it kicks into high-octane high-quality Smash CGI of them just trying to kill each other. Bonus points if after he defeats Sheik he has to face off against Cloud and someone else just to prove how bad ass he is.
Or better yet, have an 8-bit opening between Sheik and Greninja facing off similarly to the original game's intro and then the fight is interrupted by a shuriken, cuts to 3D and Hayabusa emerges from the shadows, the tagline, and gameplay follows

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I think another possible reveal is something like this:

But with Samus and Ridley in a Metroid stage:

Last edited:
Reactions: QQS

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
So, I've checked out the other less popular/talked about Ninja Gaiden games including Ninja Gaiden Shadow on Game Boy, Ninja Gaiden on Game Gear, Sega Master System, and even the unreleased Ninja Gaiden prototype on Sega Genesis. There are some interesting things to be gathered from these games.

In Ninja Gaiden Shadow on Game Boy, Ryu can use a grappling hook that he shoots vertically upwards to cling to the ceiling to avoid enemies and stage hazards. The only other time I've seen him use a tether of some kind was in his Dead or Alive 4 ending. Now, if they wanted to give Ryu a tether grab, up-special, etc., I'd sooner expect the Kusari-gama from modern Ninja Gaiden II to be used as one before they take cues from other sources but they would be cool references, nonetheless.

Ninja Gaiden on Game Gear is really weird. Ryu runs funny and the game is generally floatier but he attacks really quickly (holding the Dragon Sword in a reverse grip) and can even change directions in the air. He can also wall climb. The most interesting thing I remember from the game is a single vertical scrolling level dedicated to Ryu scaling straight up between two skyscrapers while he has to avoid falling enemies, birds, signs sticking out of the buildings, and falling potted plants (yes, seriously). This game is without a doubt the easiest in the entire series.

The Ninja Gaiden prototype on Sega Genesis is an unreleased and buggy game but the story of it was finished so it can be completed from start to end. It's a beat-em-up game like the original 1988 Ninja Gaiden on arcade but it is less interesting. Ryu can do a standard punch-punch-kick combo, an aerial grab similar to Guillotine Throw, an aerial kick, a powerful flip kick attack that costs a quarter of health to use, and the ability to dodge roll. He cannot grab ledges like monkey bars and never uses a sword. Being an unpolished game, it has typos, bad grammar, untranslated parts, and sometimes bugs will occur possibly preventing you from progressing further. It was still an interesting piece of Ninja Gaiden history for me to experience at least.

EDIT: Now I just learned he had a breakdancing move which is badass.

Now, Ninja Gaiden on Sega Master System... People call it a port or version of Ninja Gaiden from the original on NES but this one is a completely new game. It feels the most like the NES trilogy compared to the other games. One noticeable gameplay difference is you cannot wall cling or wall climb but Ryu can still wall jump, it's just a bit more finnicky and takes getting used to; it works similarly to wall jumps in Smash but you cannot wall cling like some characters can. Ryu can grab the bottom of platforms like in NES Ninja Gaiden 3. He runs really fast in this game. He has some new ninpo such as a projectile that shoots in four directions in a cross shape, the fire wheel is not one-time use but can be spammed multiple times, a new homing ninpo which seems kind of OP when you see it in action, and he has a new ability to wipe out all enemies on the screen in a white flash at the cost of a portion of his health. This game is noticeably much easier than the NES trilogy which is kind of what caught my attention. I recommend this game wholeheartedly if anyone wanted to check out an official Ninja Gaiden experience that is very similar to the original trilogy and is also much easier to get into. This game is just that much easier. If you have the means to check this game out, give it a try. It might not be as great as The Messenger but I'd say it's a solid Ninja Gaiden game.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
So, I've checked out the other less popular/talked about Ninja Gaiden games including Ninja Gaiden Shadow on Game Boy, Ninja Gaiden on Game Gear, Sega Master System, and even the unreleased Ninja Gaiden prototype on Sega Genesis. There are some interesting things to be gathered from these games.

In Ninja Gaiden Shadow on Game Boy, Ryu can use a grappling hook that he shoots vertically upwards to cling to the ceiling to avoid enemies and stage hazards. The only other time I've seen him use a tether of some kind was in his Dead or Alive 4 ending. Now, if they wanted to give Ryu a tether grab, up-special, etc., I'd sooner expect the Kusari-gama from modern Ninja Gaiden II to be used as one before they take cues from other sources but they would be cool references, nonetheless.

Ninja Gaiden on Game Gear is really weird. Ryu runs funny and the game is generally floatier but he attacks really quickly (holding the Dragon Sword in a reverse grip) and can even change directions in the air. He can also wall climb. The most interesting thing I remember from the game is a single vertical scrolling level dedicated to Ryu scaling straight up between two skyscrapers while he has to avoid falling enemies, birds, signs sticking out of the buildings, and falling potted plants (yes, seriously). This game is without a doubt the easiest in the entire series.

The Ninja Gaiden prototype on Sega Genesis is an unreleased and buggy game but the story of it was finished so it can be completed from start to end. It's a beat-em-up game like the original 1988 Ninja Gaiden on arcade but it is less interesting. Ryu can do a standard punch-punch-kick combo, an aerial grab similar to Guillotine Throw, an aerial kick, a powerful flip kick attack that costs a quarter of health to use, and the ability to dodge roll. He cannot grab ledges like monkey bars and never uses a sword. Being an unpolished game, it has typos, bad grammar, untranslated parts, and sometimes bugs will occur possibly preventing you from progressing further. It was still an interesting piece of Ninja Gaiden history for me to experience at least.

EDIT: Now I just learned he had a breakdancing move which is badass.

Now, Ninja Gaiden on Sega Master System... People call it a port or version of Ninja Gaiden from the original on NES but this one is a completely new game. It feels the most like the NES trilogy compared to the other games. One noticeable gameplay difference is you cannot wall cling or wall climb but Ryu can still wall jump, it's just a bit more finnicky and takes getting used to; it works similarly to wall jumps in Smash but you cannot wall cling like some characters can. Ryu can grab the bottom of platforms like in NES Ninja Gaiden 3. He runs really fast in this game. He has some new ninpo such as a projectile that shoots in four directions in a cross shape, the fire wheel is not one-time use but can be spammed multiple times, a new homing ninpo which seems kind of OP when you see it in action, and he has a new ability to wipe out all enemies on the screen in a white flash at the cost of a portion of his health. This game is noticeably much easier than the NES trilogy which is kind of what caught my attention. I recommend this game wholeheartedly if anyone wanted to check out an official Ninja Gaiden experience that is very similar to the original trilogy and is also much easier to get into. This game is just that much easier. If you have the means to check this game out, give it a try. It might not be as great as The Messenger but I'd say it's a solid Ninja Gaiden game.

Hrmmm...
Why do these look so familiar?

OH!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The Messenger is on my list! I've heard it's good. Do we agree?
Oh by far, it’s inspiration of Ninja Gaiden is apparent but it also asks the question what if the 2D games continued and developed into a MetroidVania. Funny thing is it also takes a lot of inspiration from games like Mega Man so it’s like this super hybrid game that somehow just works. It’s not the BEST MetroidVania but it is a damn good game.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Scenario: Ryu is released as a Mii Fighter. Your reaction?

For me, obviously it would suck, but you have to come to peace with it you know? At the end of the day, I would be glad that there's at least NG content in the game.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

For me, obviously it would suck, but you have to come to peace with it you know? At the end of the day, I would be glad that there's at least NG content in the game.
Kinda depends, if the fighter that comes with him ends up being someone actually appealing, unlike Steve, then I guess I wouldn’t be too upset, although it’d definitely still hurt a bit nevertheless. 😕

Louie G.

Smash Hero
First Travis, then Hayabusa.

I'd be less upset than I would be just completely shocked that neither of these two characters, who I considered the safest picks possible, made it onto the roster. I really really think Hayabusa's time is now so I'd be very surprised and a little disappointed after all of this.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I'd feel quite devastated that he missed his shot at the biggest roster in Smash history. Well... not that seriously but Ryu Hayabusa was really my only ever Most Wanted character so it'd be a pretty strong feeling nonetheless.

I've been wanting him since Smash 4 ever since more companies joined in the fray with Capcom giving Mega Man and Bandai Namco giving Pac-Man. I thought it only natural that Koei Tecmo would be getting a character in this big All-Star roster, however subjective that may be. It only solidified the feeling more when Capcom gave another of their most iconic characters in Street Fighter's Ryu and then Square Enix finally joined along with Mr. Cloud Strife.

Now, in Ultimate, we finally got Konami back onboard with Solid Snake coming back and they bring with them two of their most popular Castlevania characters in Simon and Richter Belmont. Capcom once again gives another iconic character in Ken. Square Enix gives Hero of the long-running Dragon Quest series. Microsoft joins onboard with Banjo-Kazooie and now Minecraft Steve. Even SNK gets to join in with one of their most popular characters in Terry Bogard.

With all this said, I really do think Koei Tecmo is totally deserving of their own playable character and now would be the best time to add one after quite a few successful projects with and for Nintendo. They also have zero content in Smash, minus the Fatal Frame content they co-own with Nintendo, so when are they getting anything Nintendo?! Ubisoft, Marvelous, Arc System Works, and even Warframe got something in Smash, for chrissakes... Those Shifty and Vergeben rumors don't help, either... But the question was what if Ryu Hayabusa was a Mii costume and I'd say: **** outta here with that **** and proceed to wait for the next few characters anyway.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
If he comes with an unrelated character (wheter be someone i like such as Dixie Kong or Crash, or someone i would hate like Master Chief or Saber) i would be upset, but would move on.

If its another Koei Tecmo character that got the playable role and Ryu got costume'd then my reaction would be:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I’m good with it. A lot of characters have been relegated to a Mii Costume and seeing Hayabusa end up as one wouldn’t necessarily be a surprise if it did come to that. Best thing about that is, there is a warrant to being costumed in terms of some characters. King K. Rool and Chrom being added into the next game for one and then Bomberman getting a ton of love on his costume will always put a smile on my face.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

I'd try to accept it at first but eventually, it'll sink in that in the end, he's still not a playable character like I really wanted him to be. Then I'd be shocked and outraged.

This is basically how I felt when I found out that Little Mac was an AT in Brawl.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I'm still pretty miffed about Travis and I want Hayabusa much more than I wanted Travis so I don't think I'd take it well.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, assuming that characters from Dead or Alive like Kasumi and Ayane potentially show up in the spirit board for Hayabusa, you think they would use their DOA outfits or the outfits for the 2000's Ninja Gaiden trilogy?

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Okay, assuming that characters from Dead or Alive like Kasumi and Ayane potentially show up in the spirit board for Hayabusa, you think they would use their DOA outfits or the outfits for the 2000's Ninja Gaiden trilogy?
I assume Koei Tecmo would wanna shill promote Dead or Alive 6 so probably their default outfits which is these (bonus points for appealing to CERO...):

Img-kasumi.png
Img-ayane.png

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I assume Koei Tecmo would wanna shill promote Dead or Alive 6 so probably their default outfits which is these (bonus points for appealing to CERO...):

View attachment 291313View attachment 291314
It would definitely be these designs, they are for good boys and girls after all, no way they could turn these down. I also think that Ryu Hayabusa’s stage would feature them as cameos as well. I mean if the ratings board was okay with Blue Mary, Zero Suit Samus 7th and 8th color, and Bayonetta, then these designs shouldn’t be out of the question, besides we also have Yuri Kozukata in Smash to and she’s showing WAY more skin than Kasumi and Ayanes DEAD OR ALIVE 6 design’s put together so yeah they would definitely pass

MattX20

Smash Hero
It would definitely be these designs, they are for good boys and girls after all, no way they could turn these down. I also think that Ryu Hayabusa’s stage would feature them as cameos as well. I mean if the ratings board was okay with Blue Mary, Zero Suit Samus 7th and 8th color, and Bayonetta, then these designs shouldn’t be out of the question, besides we also have Yuri Kozukata in Smash to and she’s showing WAY more skin than Kasumi and Ayanes DEAD OR ALIVE 6 design’s put together so yeah they would definitely pass
Though, in fairness, Ayane's traditional outfit isn't nearly as skimpy as Mai's and Kasumi's traditional blue outfit could be just given black tights like Mythra's spirit to fit in.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Got my copy of the Famicom version of NG3 and beat it. So the original Trilogy is finally finished for me. :starman:

It's definitely the easiest of the games, no contest, though if you can beat the NES version (by comparison the hardest of the games) my hat is off to you. I couldn't get past Act 2-2 in that version whereas I got my first Game Over in Act 5 in the Famicom version. I honestly struggle to think of a game that received so many changes to the difficulty between versions aside from some of the localized games that Working Designs did.

All that is left for me of the original series is to check out the weird one-off titles or beat the original game final bosses without the Spin Attack. The Sega Master System one-off has been high on my list for a while to obtain a copy of. Hopefully the rumors of the Switch port of the reboot Trilogy comes true. Also picked up a copy of Dragon Sword a few months back but have yet to play it.

Would suspect Ryu would take the most from the new games & DoA, though I would hope that at the very least Sakurai gives him some standard sword slash attacks to mirror the original Trilogy, not unlike what Simon has with his F-Tilt & F-Air. Also give him the Windmill Shuriken.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
What kind of unique gimmick would Hayabusha bring?

Item selection? Different weapons?
Probably something with his Ninpo like in Ninja Gaiden Sigma series or if you want to take it a step further, they could also have him use the obtainable items from Ninja Gaiden NES series

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Got my copy of the Famicom version of NG3 and beat it. So the original Trilogy is finally finished for me. :starman:

It's definitely the easiest of the games, no contest, though if you can beat the NES version (by comparison the hardest of the games) my hat is off to you. I couldn't get past Act 2-2 in that version whereas I got my first Game Over in Act 5 in the Famicom version. I honestly struggle to think of a game that received so many changes to the difficulty between versions aside from some of the localized games that Working Designs did.

All that is left for me of the original series is to check out the weird one-off titles or beat the original game final bosses without the Spin Attack. The Sega Master System one-off has been high on my list for a while to obtain a copy of. Hopefully the rumors of the Switch port of the reboot Trilogy comes true. Also picked up a copy of Dragon Sword a few months back but have yet to play it.

Would suspect Ryu would take the most from the new games & DoA, though I would hope that at the very least Sakurai gives him some standard sword slash attacks to mirror the original Trilogy, not unlike what Simon has with his F-Tilt & F-Air. Also give him the Windmill Shuriken.
Dragon Sword is a hidden treasure and I have a soft spot for Ninja Gaiden Shadow. The Master System and Game Gear games I really didn’t get to play a whole lot but from what I hear every one of those are good on their own merits.

Top Bottom