• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Dead or Alive has some very cool soundtracks. I say at least most of Hayabusa's themes (such as the Blade of Ryu, The Shooted, and Look Ahead) are very awesome themes. Same for other characters too, such as Hayate's DOA3 theme Reincarnate (another one of my personal favorites). So they were definitely be cool and if they appear as Spirits in this game, I expect those tracks to be in the game too.

I remember Vergeben saying that. Some people still point this out as Hayabusa possibly getting in. But I'd still wait and see.
True, no matter how much I want a character, I NEVER say that their a lock until they actually make it in

Oddball

Smash Lord
While this does not particularly mean much because Sakurai's played so many video games, after all, we saw many of his game consoles including Playstation and Xbox in Min Min's presentation, this is pretty much our only link to Sakurai having shown any interest/awareness of Ninja Gaiden and this was an article from over 10 years ago. I just hope to god he's played the Xbox/Sigma games and Dead or Alive as well. Ryu needs a much more fleshed out moveset than just pulling from the NES trilogy. It wouldn't be a "celebration of gaming" if we only celebrated Nintendo... right...?
I think there's enough variety in power-ups to at the very least cover his special moves. There's much not variety in his regualr attacks though, so you could use Dead or Alive and even the original Arcade game to fill that out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I have some questions. I've decided that I'm going to get one of the 3D Ninja Gaiden games so I can at least play through one game in this series - I figure that Ryu Hayabusa's one of the more likely Smash DLC characters for a variety of reasons (long history running back to the NES era; Koei-Tecmo being close enough to Nintendo to work on a Zelda spin-off and a mainline Fire Emblem game), and I want to play a game from the series to see what he can do. (though the NES games are too difficult for me)

I've narrowed it down to Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the PS3, or Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge on the Wii U, PS3, or Xbox 360. I've heard that Ninja Gaiden 3 is easier than the rest of the series, so I'm leaning towards that, but is it similar to Devil May Cry 2 in that they made it so easy that it's not fun to play?

If I do get Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, are there any significant differences between the Wii U version and the other versions? (if I get the Wii U version, I'll probably order a physical copy from Amazon, since game stores in my area likely won't have Wii U games, and it's $15 physically compared to $55 digitally) Alternatively, how accessible is Ninja Gaiden Sigma for newcomers to the series?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have some questions. I've decided that I'm going to get one of the 3D Ninja Gaiden games so I can at least play through one game in this series - I figure that Ryu Hayabusa's one of the more likely Smash DLC characters for a variety of reasons (long history running back to the NES era; Koei-Tecmo being close enough to Nintendo to work on a Zelda spin-off and a mainline Fire Emblem game), and I want to play a game from the series to see what he can do. (though the NES games are too difficult for me)

I've narrowed it down to Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the PS3, or Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge on the Wii U, PS3, or Xbox 360. I've heard that Ninja Gaiden 3 is easier than the rest of the series, so I'm leaning towards that, but is it similar to Devil May Cry 2 in that they made it so easy that it's not fun to play?

If I do get Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, are there any significant differences between the Wii U version and the other versions? (if I get the Wii U version, I'll probably order a physical copy from Amazon, since game stores in my area likely won't have Wii U games, and it's $15 physically compared to $55 digitally) Alternatively, how accessible is Ninja Gaiden Sigma for newcomers to the series?
I'd say go for Sigma, 3 is a bit of a controversial entry and while Razor's Edge fixed a lot of the complaints people have with it, it's still the weakest game in the trilogy. It is more beginner friendly, though if you've played other character action games it might feel too vanilla - it doesn't stand out gameplay-wise as much as the other two.

I don't know if I'd say it's unfun to play like DMC2, it's a let-down coming from the other two but on its own it could be a good time.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302

Do you like playing on the easiest difficulties? Sigma and Razor's Edge both have EZ modes. Sigma has Ninja Dog mode which weakens enemies and bosses and gives free healing and support items. Razor's Edge has Hero mode which is a literal god mode because you do automatic blocks and dodges and will never die. The latter may sound incredibly boring because it removes all sense of difficulty but if what you're after is seeing what Ryu can do, that might be your best bet but you do still need to gather Karma to upgrade his moveset. I believe performance is the only difference between Wii U, PS3, and Xbox 360, as in, it runs better on the other 2 than Wii U.

If what you're after is an "easier but still challenging so it's not boring" difficulty, Sigma is the way to go. Ninja Dog mode is still quite challenging for people who are not used to playing character action games even with all the healing items you can get.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do you like playing on the easiest difficulties? Sigma and Razor's Edge both have EZ modes. Sigma has Ninja Dog mode which weakens enemies and bosses and gives free healing and support items. Razor's Edge has Hero mode which is a literal god mode because you do automatic blocks and dodges and will never die. The latter may sound incredibly boring because it removes all sense of difficulty but if what you're after is seeing what Ryu can do, that might be your best bet but you do still need to gather Karma to upgrade his moveset. I believe performance is the only difference between Wii U, PS3, and Xbox 360, as in, it runs better on the other 2 than Wii U.

If what you're after is an "easier but still challenging so it's not boring" difficulty, Sigma is the way to go. Ninja Dog mode is still quite challenging for people who are not used to playing character action games even with all the healing items you can get.
Sounds good; I've played the Devil May Cry games, though I've generally played those on Normal difficulty and using a guide to find health upgrades - I feel like Ninja Gaiden would be closer to playing on Hard mode, though I'm just making assumptions. (I've also played the Bayonetta games and Metal Gear Rising, among other Platinum titles, so I have some familiarity with character action games)

I'll look into Sigma on the PS3 and give that a shot, assuming that the price is right. From what I've seen, it seems like blocking is going to be a key component, so that's something that I'll have to get used to. (I'm used to dodging, like in Bayonetta and with DMC3-5's Trickster style, and I basically never block in fighting games, so I'll have to adjust my playstyle)

EDIT: I got Ninja Gaiden Sigma - just need to wait for it to download, and I'll see how it goes.

EDIT 2: not off to a great start. I beat the first chapter without dying, but the second chapter introduces wizards that can appear out of nowhere, hit you with a four-hit combo or a homing projectile (often while you're mid-combo or dealing with another enemy), and then vanish. That was enough of a pain, but then the game introduces enemies on horseback that are more mobile than Ryu and have a longer range than him. I assume I'm intended to use the bow, but there doesn't seem to be a lock-on function, and I doubt I can hit the horsemen when they're moving at that speed, I have five arrows (more if I check the nearby corpse), and there are at least six horsemen who show up one after the other. (I'm not sure how many there are in total - every time I beat one, another one immediately shows up)

I get introducing maybe two or three horsemen to give you a chance to fight them, but this is throwing way too many of them at me at once, and the wizards feel like an endgame enemy thrown into the second chapter because the developers seem to think that this is the arcade era where the only way that a game can make money is if it's insanely difficult to beat.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
RETROROTER RETROROTER It's a generic envelope with a red wax seal. It has nothing to do with Smash.

Also, don't post multiple times consecutively. Edit your original post to add things instead.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
RETROROTER RETROROTER It's a generic envelope with a red wax seal. It has nothing to do with Smash.

Also, don't post multiple times consecutively. Edit your original post to add things instead.
Yes I know that, I even said I knew that in my second post and I will stop multi posting

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
A lot of people agree that the opening in the NES Ninja Gaiden game would be a good idea for Hayabusa's reveal trailer but I think another good one could be taken from a scene in Dead or Alive Dimensions.

Think this but with Samus and Ridley in a Metroid stage:

(I got it set to start at the part that I'm talking about)

I can easily picture this as his intro in his reveal trailer.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Ninja Gaiden may be coming back, but as Xbox Exclusive (Implied)

There was a problem fetching the tweet

(Go to 51:00)

This 4chan post goes into more detail of what these 3 links mean

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/517909316

Pretty Exciting News Potentially.

As for what this means for Smash, I Don't Know. I will say if we got a Microsoft character, I would guess Ryu's Costume will come in that pack (Assuming he's not Playable). I always felt it was weird no Koei content came with Byleth Pack.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

As for what this means for Smash, I Don't Know. I will say if we got a Microsoft character, I would guess Ryu's Costume will come in that pack (Assuming he's not Playable). I always felt it was weird no Koei content came with Byleth Pack.
Doesn’t hurt Ryu but could help him. Now there’s even more reason for KT to want Ryu in Smash. Plus we’ve had characters get in despite having exclusives on other platforms (Snake, Ryu, Joker, Banjo).

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
We got Cloud like 5 months after FFVII Remake was announced as a playstation 4 exclusive.

This bodes well for Ninja Gaiden as it will return from 7 year hiatus. And it will be an active franchise soon (hopefully)

And I hope they decided to port modern NG trilogy to current gen consoles, including Switch.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Man, I hope Ninja Gaiden does comes back, I miss it dearly. At least now I have something else to be excited about besides Halo at the upcoming Xbox presentation.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

Seeing how Microsoft plays nice with Nintendo i will not be surprised if it's just a "timed exclusive". Hell it's likely gonna come to PC anyway so "Xbox Exclusive" might as well mean "Anything but Playstation"

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
While I’m a little upset it maybe an Xbox exclusive, I just really want Ryu Hayabusa in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as the crossover aspect really gets to me. Seeing him fight alongside Mario, Link, Samus, Simon, Snake, and more would honestly be a dream come true, I honestly hope Nintendo considers it as Koei Tecmo has done so much for them

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
While I’m a little upset it maybe an Xbox exclusive, I just really want Ryu Hayabusa in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as the crossover aspect really gets to me. Seeing him fight alongside Mario, Link, Samus, Simon, Snake, and more would honestly be a dream come true, I honestly hope Nintendo considers it as Koei Tecmo has done so much for them
Don't forget Sora, Bomberman, Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot too!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I'm still surprised Hayabusa didn't get into Fighter's Pass 1. The idea people are only bringing him up NOW as a mid-FP2 pick is bizarre given his status.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I'm still surprised Hayabusa didn't get into Fighter's Pass 1. The idea people are only bringing him up NOW as a mid-FP2 pick is bizarre given his status.
The competition for 3rd parties in DLCs is cutthroat for real. Cannot say it's surprising to not have someone specfically.

I'm fine with Hayabusa being first KT rep, either him or Kasumi would be acceptable.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
The competition for 3rd parties in DLCs is cutthroat for real. Cannot say it's surprising to not have someone specfically.

I'm fine with Hayabusa being first KT rep, either him or Kasumi would be acceptable.
While I love Kasumi, I’m pretty sure if they went with a Koei Tecmo rep it would 100% be Ryu Hayabusa, Kasumi would be a stage cameo/spirit at best

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I could never forget them as well, they would be so awesome to see in the crossover!
Looks like you and I want to have all those characters be playable as well!

While I love Kasumi, I’m pretty sure if they went with a Koei Tecmo rep it would 100% be Ryu Hayabusa, Kasumi would be a stage cameo/spirit at best
Ryu Hayabusa is certainly Tecmo's most iconic character as of today. He is even 10 times more iconic than Snake (Metal Gear) and Makoto (Danganronpa).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got Ninja Gaiden 3 for my Wii U. It was $15 for a physical copy (compared to roughly $60 digitally), and I was planning to order some movies anyway (while I prefer to shop local after the time where I was sent an empty DVD case, I'm not risking it with the coronavirus still being out there), so it worked out.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I got Ninja Gaiden 3 for my Wii U. It was $15 for a physical copy (compared to roughly $60 digitally), and I was planning to order some movies anyway (while I prefer to shop local after the time where I was sent an empty DVD case, I'm not risking it with the coronavirus still being out there), so it worked out.
Nice! Have fun!

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I might want to get to know Ryu Hayabusa better by playing the NES Ninja Gaiden games.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I might want to get to know Ryu Hayabusa better by playing the NES Ninja Gaiden games.
Good luck; I've been trying the 3D games because the 2D games are famous for being difficult, though I suppose the rewind feature on the NES Online app would help.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm enjoying Ninja Gaiden 3 so far - I'm finding it more engaging than Ninja Gaiden Sigma. The boss fights are still incredibly tough (I died so much against the second boss that the game offered to drop the difficulty to easy), and the mid-battle checkpoint system has some issues (I respawned with the same amount of health that I originally had at that point, so a single grab attack from the boss nearly killed me), but I found the first mission to be much better than Sigma's first mission. So far, nothing feels cheap aside from the Crystal Skull challenges, though those seem to be optional. (both of the bosses in the first mission took a lot of tries to get their patterns down)

So far, the game reminds me a lot of Metal Gear Solid, what with the whole "rescue the Prime Minister" plot that quickly goes off the rails, and the terrorist who fights similarly to Ryu Hayabusa that wears all red, speaks in a British accent, and refers to Ryu as his brother. I half expected him to start talking about how he got all of the "flawed, recessive genes".

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
So are you guys still very hopeful about Hayabusa's chances? I say I'm decent about his chances. It would be cool to have him in the roster as he is one of the last big NES icons missing from Smash.
Let’s see now...

- Iconic character and series that comes from a retro era...... check ✅

- Tecmo still doesn’t have a playable character in the roster...... check ✅

- Strong ties with Nintendo (both the franchise and its company) since the beginning...... Double check ✅✅

I mean, looks can always be deceiving, sure but I still believe Ryu does seem incredibly likely at this point... if not inevitable.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Let’s see now...

- Strong ties with Nintendo (both the franchise and its company) since the beginning...... Double check ✅✅

I mean, looks can always be deceiving, sure but I still believe Ryu does seem incredibly likely at this point... if not inevitable.
Not to Mention, If Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, Phoenix Wright, Jibanyan etc.. all merit to be playable, than so does Ryu (NInja Gaiden).

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Didn't Sakurai also visit the Koei Tecmo office?

Let’s see now...

In addition to that, there's also the obvious moveset potential and with all those abilities he has throughout his series, Hayabusa will definitely be a fun character to play, something Sakurai also cares so much about.

Top Bottom