• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I saw this on twitter today:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Team Ninja acknowledges those that want a new Ninja Gaiden game, but the question for now is will Koei-Tecmo want 1 as well?
I don't see why not. Ninja Gaiden has been a successful franchise for them.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
If Hayabusa get's in, I'd really love if one of his alternate colors was red and white, resembling Joe Musashi from Shinobi.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Behold my new trailer idea for Ryu Hayabusa:

*Cross flair intro*
The trailer opens up with an 8-bit cave. After a moment of silence, sprites of Mega Man, Simon and Arusu (The DQ3 Hero) walk on-screen. The three stop before Mega Man turns to his fellow 3rd-Party NES Fighters before a text box appears above him.

“MEGA MAN: WELL, HERE WE ARE. THIS MUST BE THE PLACE WHERE WE’LL FIND IT.”

“SIMON: I CAN FEEL DARK POWERS FROM THIS CAVERN, AND WE’VE BARELY SET FOOT. WE MUST EXERCISE CAUTION.”

“ARUSU CASTS HOLY PROTECTION!”

“MEGA MAN: ...THANK YOU. THIS SHOULD HELP US. LET’S GO.”

The three then march deeper into the cavern. In the shadows, a silhouetted sprite of a man appears. The camera then pans downwards to the chamber where an evil-looking statue is building with energy. The 3 to approach the statue before it transforms, turning everything into 3D. Mega Man, Simon and Arusu tense, ready for battle, as the giant monster that was the statue glares down at them. Just as the monster is about to strike, a vicious barrage of fiery sword strikes causes the monster to stagger for a bit before a new figure lands in front of the three heroes. The being is revealed to be a ninja with an elegant-looking katana and a crest of silver. He draws his sword and assumes a stance.

RYU HAYABUSA Goes to the Edge!

The legendary Dragon Hawk himself, Ryu Hayabusa, then leads the charge to fight the Demon Statue. The trailer then cuts to gameplay, showing him to be a fast, over-the-top combo character who uses Ninja Arts and flashy ninja moves to attack his opponents, even having a Classic Alt costume. He even shows a highly telegraphed clone Art that copies whatever moves he uses. It then shows Basilisk Minefield as Ryu Hayabusa's stage before it shows his Final Smash, where he sends two clones to attack multiple enemies before the three tense and swing their respective swords in such a way that three dragons made of fire erupt and completely immolate the opponents.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate X Ninja Gaiden

As the Ryu Hayabusa, Mega Man, Simon and Arusu end their battle with the Demon Statue, the ninja then senses a presence. He turns and finds a Greninja Puppet glaring daggers at him. The two stare down at one another, the Ninja Gaiden intro theme playing in the background. Then, both Frog Pokemon and Wielder of the Dragon Sword charge at one another. They leap into the air, Greninja wielding a massive water kunai while Ryu has coated his katana in fire. The swings between the two are slowed down for a moment before it speeds back up, a large cloud of steam exploding from the impact of both weapons before the screen fades to black.

@ 2018 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / Hal Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM USA., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / KOEI TECMO HOLDINGS CO., LTD.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

*Cross flair intro*
The trailer opens up with an 8-bit cave. After a moment of silence, sprites of Mega Man, Simon and Arusu (The DQ3 Hero) walk on-screen. The three stop before Mega Man turns to his fellow 3rd-Party NES Fighters before a text box appears above him.

“SIMON: I CAN FEEL DARK POWERS FROM THIS CAVERN, AND WE’VE BARELY SET FOOT. WE MUST EXERCISE CAUTION.”

The three then march deeper into the cavern. In the shadows, a silhouetted sprite of a man appears. The camera then pans downwards to the chamber where an evil-looking statue is building with energy. The 3 to approach the statue before it transforms, turning everything into 3D. Mega Man, Simon and Arusu tense, ready for battle, as the giant monster that was the statue glares down at them. Just as the monster is about to strike, a vicious barrage of fiery sword strikes causes the monster to stagger for a bit before a new figure lands in front of the three heroes. The being is revealed to be a ninja with an elegant-looking katana and a crest of silver. He draws his sword and assumes a stance.

The legendary Dragon Hawk himself, Ryu Hayabusa, then leads the charge to fight the Demon Statue. The trailer then cuts to gameplay, showing him to be a fast, over-the-top combo character who uses Ninja Arts and flashy ninja moves to attack his opponents, even having a Classic Alt costume. He even shows a highly telegraphed clone Art that copies whatever moves he uses. It then shows Basilisk Minefield as Ryu Hayabusa's stage before it shows his Final Smash, where he sends two clones to attack multiple enemies before the three tense and swing their respective swords in such a way that three dragons made of fire erupt and completely immolate the opponents.

As the Ryu Hayabusa, Mega Man, Simon and Arusu end their battle with the Demon Statue, the ninja then senses a presence. He turns and finds a Greninja Puppet glaring daggers at him. The two stare down at one another, the Ninja Gaiden intro theme playing in the background. Then, both Frog Pokemon and Wielder of the Dragon Sword charge at one another. They leap into the air, Greninja wielding a massive water kunai while Ryu has coated his katana in fire. The swings between the two are slowed down for a moment before it speeds back up, a large cloud of steam exploding from the impact of both weapons before the screen fades to black.

@ 2018 Nintendo
Characters: © Nintendo / Hal Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM USA., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / KOEI TECMO HOLDINGS CO., LTD.
Pretty good idea for a trailer. I can picture that too.

Also, it'd be cool if the "X" in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Ninja Gaiden is a shuriken.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

*Cross flair intro*

@ 2018 Nintendo
Awesome! Loved how you included the NES icons, especially Arusu since well.. for reasons he’s usually not included in trailers (being an alt).
And the transition to 3D would still look pretty hype. Reminds me of the Duck Hunt trailer, but it would look more epic here.

///

... I’m puzzled by the lack of Ninja Gaiden on Switch, seeing as how everyone loves to dump their ports into it, I’m surprised and a bit desperate that we haven’t gotten a Ninja Gaiden (new gen) trilogy for the console. Even the Wii U had at least NG3.
And they’re not on Steam either.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Awesome! Loved how you included the NES icons, especially Arusu since well.. for reasons he’s usually not included in trailers (being an alt).
And the transition to 3D would still look pretty hype. Reminds me of the Duck Hunt trailer, but it would look more epic here.
Why thank you. I specifically used 3rd-party Smash characters that have made their debut on the NES since, well, Ryu Hayabusa made his debut on NES as well.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Don’t know if this technique is old... but I figured it out last night, and I beat the son of a witch.

https://twitter.com/djecchi/status/1229211415266779137?s=21

This is as close as I’ve gotten to beating this game “legally”. (I mostly save at the beginning of a level and at the beginning of a boss).

Anyway, this has been an achievement for me. Phew!

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
An idea for Hayabusa's Congratulation Screen is him standing on the Pirate Ship, referencing his ending in the arcade game.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The suposivly Ryu switch with byleth leak is fake

It claimed fighter pass 3 ain’t happening due to this

But reminder regardless if it was fake Ryu is very very likely anyway

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, it does deconfirm a third FP but not Hayabusa's appearance or even the entire leak since they were still right about Byleth.

That's alright with me, though. All I want is Hayabusa in this game.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
The suposivly Ryu switch with byleth leak is fake

It claimed fighter pass 3 ain’t happening due to this

But reminder regardless if it was fake Ryu is very very likely anyway
It's still possible well get a season 3 down the line. But it's for the best we assume that season 2 will be the end.

I dont think this affects Ryu's chances but it definitely gives less opportunities.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I have high hopes that, with Nintendo choosing the DLC again, they do like they did with SNK, getting Terry, and finally look to Koei Tecmo for our Dragon Ninja, seeing as how great their relationship supposedly is. New company/series representation is always great, expanding that "video game celebration".

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Has anybody noticed that all the other video game series Koei Tecmo has made games for are all represented in Smash now? Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and now Persona.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
It’s also worth noting that they’re possibly planning on doing something with Super Mario too, in the meantime.

So uhm... Mushroom Kingdom Warriors, maybe?

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You forgot pokemon.
Oh yeah, you're right! I forgot about Pokemon Conquest. Thanks for reminding me.

It’s also worth noting that they’re planning on doing something with Super Mario too, in the meantime.

So uhm... Mushroom Kingdom Warriors, maybe?
Really? I didn't know that! I thought they were only just interested in making a Mario game.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, you're right! I forgot about Pokemon Conquest. Thanks for reminding me.

Really? I didn't know that! I thought they were only just interested in making a Mario game.
Whoops, sorry, that’s what I meant. But it’s quite possible that they already acquired the license to it and are working something out.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ryu's being rated in the RTC thread, so if you wanna show your support, say why you think he's likely or just why you want him in Smash, make sure to pop by!

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
As much of a fan Sakurai is of the NES and retro games in general, I'd be genuinely shocked if Ryu isn't in Fighter Pass 2.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
God, I wish they’d just add the rest of the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy on Switch Online’s NES library, already (along with Castlevania and Contra, preferably).

The Switch rewind would be my ultimate revenge for all the rage it gave me. But yeah, I’d use it just on those extremely frustrating and unfair moments of the game. Not too hard nor too easy sounds just right.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
God, I wish they’d just add the rest of the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy on Switch Online’s NES library, already (along with Castlevania and Contra, preferably).
I'd like that too, but I feel like the existence of the Castlevania and Contra Anniversary Collections means those things aren't going to happen.

Kinda like how, normally, Capcom would jump at the chance to put Mega Man games on a service like that(like they did with GnGs), but now that there's Mega Man Legacy Collections, those games are suddenly not on it.

But yeah, there's no Ninja Gaiden collection, so NG2 and 3 should totally be on there!

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I'd like that too, but I feel like the existence of the Castlevania and Contra Anniversary Collections means those things aren't going to happen.

Kinda like how, normally, Capcom would jump at the chance to put Mega Man games on a service like that(like they did with GnGs), but now that there's Mega Man Legacy Collections, those games are suddenly not on it.

But yeah, there's no Ninja Gaiden collection, so NG2 and 3 should totally be on there!
I see, well that’s certainly a shame.
I actually kind of do like to see some of the more niche/obscure NES games being added in there, some of them are great and really fun, and I enjoy being introduced to stuff that I’ve never heard of, and that belong to a category that I love.
But at the same time, I mean come on, we’re still missing quite a lot of unforgettable classics here!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Anything that was on the NES/SNES Classic Editions has no excuse not being on the NES/SNES Online service.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I know its slightly a different scenario, but this didn't stop the Kunio+Double Dragon game, even though there's like 4 of those games in the service.

But yeah, I'm still waiting for NG2 and 3 as well.

Now if this means we're getting compilation games for Ninja Gaiden, I'm all for it.

If they pull a Capcom and separate them in 2, they should contain:

CLASSIC:
-Ninja Gaiden
-Ninja Gaiden 2: Dark Sword of Chaos
-Ninja Gaiden 3: Ancient Ship of Doom
-Ninja Gaiden (SEGA Master System)
-Ninja Gaiden Shadow (Game Boy)
-Ninja Gaiden (Arcade)
-Ninja Gaiden:

MODERN:
-Ninja Gaiden
-Ninja Gaiden 2
-Ninja Gaiden 3
-Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (an adaptation to a single screen and traditional controls perhaps)
-Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know its slightly a different scenario, but this didn't stop the Kunio+Double Dragon game, even though there's like 4 of those games in the service.
Like you said, slightly different, as those games were added BEFORE the collection.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
You know, ever since I played Castlevania 64, I always wished Tecmo had made a Ninja Gaiden 64 game, with a similar style.

23250E91-0A0D-4CF0-B591-340356CDD478.jpeg

Frustrating or not, I’m sure it would’ve been awesome! Oh well...

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It probably would have been like the modern Ninja Gaiden games, just with 64 graphics.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been posted here already:
1584049342340.png

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
It probably would have been like the modern Ninja Gaiden games, just with 64 graphics.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been posted already:
View attachment 265569
Yeah, well given how fond I am of the N64’s graphic style, I’m sure I would’ve really enjoyed something like that.
Still, I kind of imagine it being similar to Castlevania 64 in terms of play style, maybe Tecmo could’ve borrowed its engine.

Also nice concept! I don’t think that has ever been posted here before.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Anyone that actually likes the graphical style of the N64/PS1 era is someone I wouldn't allow around children or the elderly.

It's the only console generation that is actually uglier than the previous generation.
Yes I always found the polygonal art style to be quite charming and quirky, really don’t see what’s so ugly about it, and I can get pretty nostalgic just by watching a simple 64 model.

I never even said they were better or worse than today’s graphics, I’m just saying that I like them for what they are. If you are this bothered just because I have personal interest in something as simple as that, then I’m afraid you really have a problem, pal.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I’d be really happy to see Ryu Hayabusa join the battle! I just bought Fighters Pass VOL 2 yesterday so I’d be super happy to see him be one of the 6 challenger packs as I really love the Ninja Gaiden series as much as I love the Super Mario and Banjo-Kazooie series! Here’s to hoping!

Attachments

N64 and PS1 graphics are awesome.
Don't mind me, i'm just passing by ...

:p

(I agree but only because of my N64 nostalgia bias... )

I just came by to recommend The Messenger to anyone who is interested in a good 2D platformer with Ninja Gaiden elements (i know the game is not exactly new but i only found out about it recently).

There's a decent character progression system and the game is not totally linear (there's backtracking at some point). The coolest part imo is the time portal mechanic, the level design around it is sick (plus the back and forth between 8 and 16 bit graphics and the music change add some epicness to it). The Switch version is only 25 bucks, i think it's worth it if you're into this type of game.

Last edited:

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Some 32 & 64 bit games hold up well for me and others do not. A great example of my personal taste is FF7. In the battle mode, the models & summons look awesome and I absolutely love the way it looks; while the over world is hard for me to look at. I understand back in the day it was what it was, but man is polygon Cloud hard to look at now.

Top Bottom