• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Neither Sabi nor IAmShifty has a spotless track record so it's kinda hard to predict who'll be right about Hayabusa in the end. Bias aside, i still think IAmShifty has good sources (just based on the amount of Smash stuff he predicted correctly in the past) but again, no way to know for sure... yet.

Who knows, they could both be right but Shifty got the timing wrong (again)... and Ryu will be revealed as fighter 6 at the Game Awards...

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
It's unfortunate hearing about the latest leak rumors, but I suppose ups and downs of character speculation are to be expected when closely following leaks.

Although nothing's set in stone yet, I think the best course of action would be to keep our expectations low, since nothing's official until confirmed by the big N themselves (hearing from more leakers with good track records such as Vergeben might also help shed some light on the situation in the leadup!). Regardless of whether Ryu makes the fighter pass or not, I think the most important thing is to keep our support for Hayabusa as high as possible, so that he may have a higher chance of eventually making it into smash at some point down the line!
I'm still hopeful. If I'm being honest with myself though I doubt his fan demand will ever be high enough to register. If he does get in it's going to be because of his legacy, which is significant especially considering his history with Nintendo. Putting all leaks aside I think Ryu is just likely in general.

This recent leak definately had me feeling crestfallen, that's for sure. It's better to manage our expectations as you say. I trust Papagenos when he says the NoA source is a big deal.

That said, I don't have much reason to doubt that Shifty and Brew are legitimate as well. Worst case scenario is that Ryu is leak bait, but I have no idea how to determine such a thing really.

The Brew and NoA leak can both be right at this point, which is something that I'm holding on to. Brew has said that Ryu is definitely coming in 2019, so as others have said hopefully we'll be seeing him as DLC #6 if this NoA source is to be believed. We'll see. We don't have too much longer to wait.

Last edited:

RavenousChuChu

Smash Rookie
Although I did mention "regardless of whether Ryu makes the fighter pass or not" my trail of thought when I mentioned keeping support high was more along the lines of keeping Hayabusa's name on the radar after the momentum brought about by the leaks, so he might gain more traction later down the line as a primary 3rd party pick for any future smash instalments; similar to how Rayman gained a lot more attention after the smash 4 "leak" and as a result, his name started popping up more frequently, and overall had a warmer reception from smash fans (although I was considering this as a worst case scenario if he didn't make it in as DLC for ultimate). But I completely agree that as it currently stands, his strong Nintendo legacy is definitely a factor that towers over fan demand, that and being one of Koei Tecmo's most recognisable character are some of the biggest factors that'd lead to a playable inclusion!

On the upside as many of you have mentioned, Shifty has a very strong track record, so his sources clearly have some credibility. Although his timing has been off, such as last year's November direct date (only by a single day), and more recently Hayabusa as #4 in the fighter pass, the actual information he's provided has been more or less spot on! (Nobody just guesses Marx as a boss, all 3 final characters and especially the addition of a bonus character in the form of a playable Piranha Plant!)

On multiple occasions leakers have had correct information but incorrect timing, e.g. Gematsu leaker with Shulk in Smash 4, Vergeben with Erdrick being the first fighter in the pass, Papageno's source giving the impression Banjo was going to be a base roster character etc.

So in short (ok maybe this isn't short lol) I still have a great deal of confidence that Hayabusa will eventually make it into Ultimate! While of course I still can't be 100% certain, I feel the real question is will it be via fighter pass slot #5?

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Shifty also just doubled down on Ryu being revealed in 2019 in his Discord server so there's still hope we will get to see Ryu in Smash soon.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But apparently the leak might be because he was negotiated for later on. So that's good news!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The fact that discussions are happening at all is a good sign for down the line, IMO. I'd gladly take a chance for him to show up later than no chance at all.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Ryu might actually be one of the next few characters. Shifty has alluded that he knew he was in as early as April Fool's Day. We may see him sooner than we think, probably by the end of 2019 according to Shifty and Brew.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Not sure who Shifty and Brew's primary source is, but as someone that talks to Sabi somewhat regularly (and knows who the particular source for her last bit of news is) I would be shocked if Hayabusa is the next fighter.

That's fine. I can wait. Patience is a ninja specialty.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Ryu Hayabusa may not be the fifth fighter but he will stand strong after the pass is over. I just hope people don't make dumb claims about him being leak bait like how people did to Erdrick.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Talks are good. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Fighter 5 or not.

Not even Verg has a perfect track record on timing.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
key word, seemed. He seemed way too obvious to be actually in the game. Especially since I had just gotten my most wanted who i THOUGHT would be in deconfirmed, i was wary.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Not sure who Shifty and Brew's primary source is, but as someone that talks to Sabi somewhat regularly (and knows who the particular source for her last bit of news is) I would be shocked if Hayabusa is the next fighter.

That's fine. I can wait. Patience is a ninja specialty.
Was wondering if you could elaborate more. With it being confirmed by Sabi, and now Vergeben, that Ryu Hayabusa in fact is not Challenger Pack 5, you are saying you think he won't be the next DLC fighter afterwards?

EDIT: Nevermind, it sounds like you are talking about for Challenger Pack 5.

Yeah, I think we can all agree Ryu Hayabusa is a strong contender for post-Fighters Pass. I just hope he also comes with a stage, music, and spirits.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Was wondering if you could elaborate more. With it being confirmed by Sabi, and now Vergeben, that Ryu Hayabusa in fact is not Challenger Pack 5, you are saying you think he won't be the next DLC fighter afterwards?

EDIT: Nevermind, it sounds like you are talking about for Challenger Pack 5.

Yeah, I think we can all agree Ryu Hayabusa is a strong contender for post-Fighters Pass. I just hope he also comes with a stage, music, and spirits.
Someone who we all know has legit connections and knew about Terry a month in advance has said that spot 5 is not Crash or Hayabusa.

That's all I know right now.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I wish we could hear more on WHY Brew and Shifty think he’s going to be shown this year...
I think it'll be more interesting to hear their reaction to Verg's claims as well as the overall timing as to when they heard about Hayabusa.

We have until February 2020 to get Fighter 5 after all.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I wish we could hear more on WHY Brew and Shifty think he’s going to be shown this year...
I suppose a possibility of Hayabusa being the first revealed character after the Fighters Pass same time as the reveal of Challenger Pack 5 or at the Video Game Awards. Afterall, future DLC fighters were already confirmed in DEVELOPMENT, so maybe a short reveal a la Terry. Or, Shifty and Brew are doing what Vergeben said and assuming the timing of Hayabusa's reveal AGAIN.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Vergeben said:
Ryu Hayabusa isn't the 5th character.
I think what might have happened is some people got word that Ryu Hayabusa will be a character coming as DLC but because of hearing his name they assumed he was next.
What's recently come out (on my side and others) prove that was an assumption.

I'm not going to go as far to say Ryu Hayabusa is 100% coming as DLC later.... but at this moment in time it would make some sense of what happened with some internal chaos confusion with insiders and why some like Sabi are like "wait no."
Discussions for him being DLC seemed to be what leaked.

I can at the moment only say that I know that Fighter 5 is NOT Ryu Hayabusa. The origin for Hayabusa and especially him being Fighter 5 seemed like assumption is the point I am trying to get across.
Even if he's not Fighter #5, the fact that there is almost guaranteed confirmation that Hayabusa discussion has occurred in terms of Smash, as well as Verge saying that he's pretty confident, but not 100%, that he's coming later down the line...

This is extremely good news for us, even if it means we have to wait a little longer.

D

Deleted member

I suppose a possibility of Hayabusa being the first revealed character after the Fighters Pass same time as the reveal of Challenger Pack 5 or at the Video Game Awards. Afterall, future DLC fighters were already confirmed in DEVELOPMENT, so maybe a short reveal a la Terry. Or, Shifty and Brew are doing what Vergeben said and assuming the timing of Hayabusa's reveal AGAIN.
I don't put any stock in seeing Hayabusa revealed for DLC Post-Fighter Pass at the VGAs. If there's anything relating to him on there, it's either Dead or Alive 6 being nominated for Best Fighting Game (which MK11 will most likely win) or a Ninja Gaiden 4 reveal. The soonest a Smash reveal for Hayabusa would have to be in the first direct of 2020, and the latest will probably be whatever deadline Sakurai puts on Fighter Pass 2.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Do you know if he said he was 100% on that like Brew?
Exact quote from his Discord server: "I've updated it awhile ago but it hasn't reached many people but I do think Ryu will get announced 2019 atleast but more than that isn't certain." I do not know where he means he 'updated it'.

I would be lying if I didn't say I am a tiny bit skeptical at this information of him being revealed in 2019. I trust Brew and Shifty that Ryu Hayabusa is still coming and negotiations for him didn't just fall through. The important thing is if he is, in fact, still coming to Smash Ultimate and that's what matters in the end.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Exact quote from his Discord server: "I've updated it awhile ago but it hasn't reached many people but I do think Ryu will get announced 2019 atleast but more than that isn't certain." I do not know where he means he 'updated it'.

I would be lying if I didn't say I am a tiny bit skeptical at this information of him being revealed in 2019. I trust Brew and Shifty that Ryu Hayabusa is still coming and negotiations for him didn't just fall through. The important thing is if he is, in fact, still coming to Smash Ultimate and that's what matters in the end.
Well I guess he’s implying that he’s certain on a 2019 reveal? It honestly doesn’t make sense why Brew would be 100% on something that Shifty isn’t given they have the same sources. He might be trying to word things in less certain terms because of his hiccups before. We’ll see I suppose.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If Hayabusa isn't the next character but he's being revealed in 2019, then he's probably the first character for the next season (maybe the second if we're getting two revealed at once, but that's unlikely). I'd expect to see him revealed at or around TGA.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I'd like to know how someone can know who ISN'T the next fighter without knowing who it actually IS. I'm not doubting Sabi or Vergeben but I think it's weird they know who it isn't rather than who it is.

The options are:
- the source knows Ryu is coming later
- the source knows who the 5th fighter is but doesn't want to say it yet
- the source only has some hints as to who the 5th fighter is and those hints don't fit Ryu or Crash

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I'd like to know how someone can know who ISN'T the next fighter without knowing who it actually IS. I'm not doubting Sabi or Vergeben but I think it's weird they know who it isn't rather than who it is.

The options are:
- the source knows Ryu is coming later
- the source knows who the 5th fighter is but doesn't want to say it yet
- the source only has some hints as to who the 5th fighter is and those hints don't fit Ryu or Crash
I feel like Vergeben saying that "Discussions for him being DLC seemed to be what leaked" might be what leading him and other insiders to think about the first scenario you present. It's very likely that discussions about Hayabusa being included have occurred, but the time frame when they had occurred don't exactly match up to the time frames of discussions involving the first Fighter Pass, which are generally believed to be around mid-late 2018.

Don't know about Crash though. Perhaps he's in a similar situation where he's been very recently discussed for DLC, and as such, won't be coming out for a while? I couldn't really imagine any other scenario due to the NoA fellow specifically calling out Hayabusa and Crash instead of just "Koei Tecmo character" or "Activision character".

It's also possible that someone just asked the NoA fellow directly if the two were in and he just straight up shot them down. Even if that's the case, it only seems to deconfirm them for DLC #5 rather than all DLC period.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I feel like Vergeben saying that "Discussions for him being DLC seemed to be what leaked" might be what leading him and other insiders to think about the first scenario you present. It's very likely that discussions about Hayabusa being included have occurred, but the time frame when they had occurred don't exactly match up to the time frames of discussions involving the first Fighter Pass, which are generally believed to be around mid-late 2018.

Don't know about Crash though. Perhaps he's in a similar situation where he's been very recently discussed for DLC, and as such, won't be coming out for a while? I couldn't really imagine any other scenario due to the NoA fellow specifically calling out Hayabusa and Crash instead of just "Koei Tecmo character" or "Activision character".

It's also possible that someone just asked the NoA fellow directly if the two were in and he just straight up shot them down. Even if that's the case, it only seems to deconfirm them for DLC #5 rather than all DLC period.
That makes sense, and that last part, too. Maybe the source isn't allowed to say who it is but since Crash and Hayabusa were rumored, the source was allowed to deconfirm them.
Both these options go well with each other. Since Vergeben has several sources, it seems some speculate Hayabusa eventually as DLC but other sources also say he's not 5th.

Still, none of this deconfirms Brew since he said 2019 and not 5th fighter. Maybe they're all right. Since Brew knew of Plant, maybe Ryu is also a bonus character.

EDIT: What if the pass ends like it started? Joker stole an invitation. Maybe that was Ryu's, so he shows up as the 6th fighter of the pass. He's known for wanting revenge, so maybe it's part of his trailer.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Still, none of this deconfirms Brew since he said 2019 and not 5th fighter. Maybe they're all right. Since Brew knew of Plant, maybe Ryu is also a bonus character.
What I think might happen is a double reveal during the Game Awards. First reveal being for the fifth fighter pass character (whoever that is) and then Ryu's reveal right after Geoff Keighley and Sakurai/Doug Bowser talk a bit about the dlc in between awards. Anything can happen at this point.

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
I don’t know why a double reveal seems so unlikely in some people’s eyes. Did we forget that they did a double reveal for Banjo + Hero on the same day?!

I think there’s a pretty good chance they announce the last character of this fighter pass then preview Hayabusa/maybe even another character to give people an idea of what’s coming. This is common practice sometimes. Look at the Mortal Kombat reveals (they revealed all 5 DLC at the same time with dates).

I think Nintendo is a bit more secretive than that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they announce DLC Fighter # 5 and 1-2 new characters who are coming next year. I think that’s a big possibility.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I don’t know why a double reveal seems so unlikely in some people’s eyes. Did we forget that they did a double reveal for Banjo + Hero on the same day?!

I think there’s a pretty good chance they announce the last character of this fighter pass then preview Hayabusa/maybe even another character to give people an idea of what’s coming. This is common practice sometimes. Look at the Mortal Kombat reveals (they revealed all 5 DLC at the same time with dates).

I think Nintendo is a bit more secretive than that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they announce DLC Fighter # 5 and 1-2 new characters who are coming next year. I think that’s a big possibility.
It is possible we could get two reveals if a Smash direct is happening in November, one to end the fighters pass and one to begin the new DLC season. We still have no idea how the structure of the new DLC will work and how many fighters we are getting, perhaps this can be explained in a Smash direct.

RavenousChuChu

Smash Rookie

Given how certain Brew is about Hayabusa coming to smash before the end of the year, it definitely sounds plausible that Hayabusa could be revealed alongside/ very shortly after the 5th fighter pass char is revealed; so at this point, a double reveal doesn't sound completely out of the question!

But then again, we all know how Brew and Shifty's sources are when it comes to timing lol.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
(groans in disappointment at the lack of Ryu H. or Crash for fighter pass #5).
Yea, I’m with ya buddy. There’s still hope though...

I’m enjoying NG3 btw. What are the issues people have with this game? I’m good so far. Aside from... ya know, people with rocket launchers. **** those guys. Seriously. Lol

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Yea, I’m with ya buddy. There’s still hope though...

I’m enjoying NG3 btw. What are the issues people have with this game? I’m good so far. Aside from... ya know, people with rocket launchers. **** those guys. Seriously. Lol
Are you playing the original version or Razor's Edge?
Razor's Edge is very different from the original version and significantly improves the game. The main problems that people had with NG3 was in the original version and most of these problems were fixed in Razor's Edge.

Top Bottom