• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
Hello fellow supporters of Justice!

(shortened for reply)

In short, I still think Ryu is coming. It's not certain of course, but given everything we know I still see it to be highly probable.
I would absolutely love to believe that you’re right, and that Hayabusa is indeed the final Fighter Pass character, but I’m still skeptical of IAmShifty.

I guess I’m mainly a skeptic because he stated with absolute certainty that Hayabusa would be the 4th DLC character. And although he clarified and put out an additional video saying Ryu would be in - he went quiet after that. I’ve even tweeted him a couple times on twitter, but have yet to get a recent response.

It’s possible he hasn’t gotten any new info since prior to the direct. But I guess his silence is what gives me doubts.

One really far fetched theory I had is that Ryu Hayabusa was initially planned to be the 4th DLC character, but once Nintendo realized Hayabusa was leaked, they pushed him to the fifth spot to keep it a surprise and throw people off. That would explain the lack of a “full trailer” for Terry Bogard and the fact that they only showed brief footage of Terry since he wasn’t far along in development. But that would also mean Hayabusa is even farther in development, so it wouldn’t make much sense to put off his release and push Terry out first - unless they are adamant about throwing people off and keeping the DLC characters a surprise.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I would absolutely love to believe that you’re right, and that Hayabusa is indeed the final Fighter Pass character, but I’m still skeptical of IAmShifty.

I guess I’m mainly a skeptic because he stated with absolute certainty that Hayabusa would be the 4th DLC character. And although he clarified and put out an additional video saying Ryu would be in - he went quiet after that. I’ve even tweeted him a couple times on twitter, but have yet to get a recent response.

It’s possible he hasn’t gotten any new info since prior to the direct. But I guess his silence is what gives me doubts.

One really far fetched theory I had is that Ryu Hayabusa was initially planned to be the 4th DLC character, but once Nintendo realized Hayabusa was leaked, they pushed him to the fifth spot to keep it a surprise and throw people off. That would explain the lack of a “full trailer” for Terry Bogard and the fact that they only showed brief footage of Terry since he wasn’t far along in development. But that would also mean Hayabusa is even farther in development, so it wouldn’t make much sense to put off his release and push Terry out first - unless they are adamant about throwing people off and keeping the DLC characters a surprise.
I can’t really speak to what’s going on in Shifty’s head obviously or why he didn’t respond to you. Maybe he’s embarrassed, or simply didn’t see your questions. He did say he was being bombarded with messages and that’s why he made the video about the SNK leak.

Yes, he was certain that Ryu would be the 4th character, but as far as I know Vergeben was also certain that a SE Rep would be our first DLC character (please correct me if I’m wrong on this). It seems to me that this is simply something that happens on occasion. A source hears of a character but isn’t close enough to the project to get precise information on their release.

Seeing as Shifty has yet to be wrong about characters coming to the game I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I hardly blame you for being skeptical.

BTW, I’m not sure if this has ever happened before, but I don’t think Nintendo would change their character release schedule and push Terry ahead simply because of a leak. I just don’t see the point in inconveniencing the team if the character is coming regardless. I think it’s more likely that Shifty got the number wrong.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even Sabi says that shifty is probably right she just doesn't know
Really? That sounds pretty odd for Sabi to say unless it was like "well he could be right or wrong we'll just have to wait and see".

Given the timing of the apparent leak by Shifty, there's no way Terry's trailer was made in under a week, and even if that were the case, they wouldn't have held back on revealing Hayabusa because he was leaked.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
September 7th was weeks ago. The way it came off when I read your post made it sound like Sabi said this recently.
sorry this wasn't my intention at all i was just trying to give us a bit of hope sorry if i mislead you

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So I’m finally really getting into NES Gaiden. First impressions: The gameplay is really fun, responsive controls, catchy music. Too bad they throw a **** ton of cheap obstacles in your way. Like I honestly feel like I couldn’t stand it without the rewind and save point functions. Lol

Best part is the story hands down. Like it’s hilariously cheesy, but at the same time it’s cool because apparently this is one of the first times a game had cinematic cut-scenes.

Like the CIA is talking to you about demon possessed statues and the end of the world, and you’re just like okay this is real life. A lady agent shoots and kidnaps you, and then lets you out while handing you a statue and “There’s no time to explain!” Yea okay. Then she’s captured by the villain after you set off on a mission evidently by yourself, like why is she even there? Kind of cliche lady don’t you think, being used as a hostage?

Just got to roll with it. I’m loving this. xD

Edit: Also this:

639FD7BC-D59E-407E-8937-6E16C954507B.png

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Remember when the Gematsu leaker told Sal to "enjoy my good friend Shulk" and then Robin was revealed and everyone thought Shulk wouldn't be in the game?

Yeah, just because a date is wrong doesn't mean a leaker has a bad source (and yeah, Chorus Kids, but data mining shows they were likely planned).

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I think Ryu Hayabusa's announcement for Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate came too close to Shifty's video claiming Hayabusa was next for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as if it wasn't a mere coincidence and was a possible mixup. Yes his sources are from Nintendo but what if Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate was being ported to Nintendo Switch? That would then be a possible basis for why they would have that kind of information.

At this point, it is not about believing Shifty that Hayabusa is in than thinking Hayabusa being a lock for Smash in general at this point that anyone could've just guessed him, including the several fake leaks with Hayabusa on them. If Shifty were to give pertinent details about Ryu's representation in Smash such as appearance, moveset, stage, music, etc. then that'd give him way more credibility of being in-the-know.

Vergeben was in a similar situation about DQ being in Smash but, to my knowledge, he's been leaking Square Enix information before the fake leaks started including Erdrick for the Fighters Pass.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I think Ryu Hayabusa's announcement for Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate came too close to Shifty's video claiming Hayabusa was next for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as if it wasn't a mere coincidence and was a possible mixup. Yes his sources are from Nintendo but what if Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate was being ported to Nintendo Switch? That would then be a possible basis for why they would have that kind of information.
I’m not going to say it’s impossible, but I still think it’s very unlikely that this mix-up occurred.

At this point, it is not about believing Shifty that Hayabusa is in than thinking Hayabusa being a lock for Smash in general at this point that anyone could've just guessed him, including the several fake leaks with Hayabusa on them. If Shifty were to give pertinent details about Ryu's representation in Smash such as appearance, moveset, stage, music, etc. then that'd give him way more credibility of being in-the-know.
I mean I can’t just think of it as luck though seeing as he’s gotten so much else right. And since when do leakers get ahold of such detailed information? I would think that’s pretty rare. It would also possibly narrow down who leaked the information which would potentially put jobs in jeopardy.

Vergeben was in a similar situation about DQ being in Smash but, to my knowledge, he's been leaking Square Enix information before the fake leaks started including Erdrick for the Fighters Pass.
Who can keep track of all the fake leaks? Surely there was some with a SE Rep before even Vergeben started talking about it. Vergeben didn’t give anymore details but the name of the character either.

When it comes down to it, all we can do is look at the facts of what these leakers have gotten right. Ryu is probably coming anyway even if Shifty got bad information.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Remember when the Gematsu leaker told Sal to "enjoy my good friend Shulk" and then Robin was revealed and everyone thought Shulk wouldn't be in the game?

Yeah, just because a date is wrong doesn't mean a leaker has a bad source (and yeah, Chorus Kids, but data mining shows they were likely planned).
Yea I was just think this myself

That guy got it wrong on Shula being next but he wasn’t wrong about Shulk being in the game though

So ryu could still very well be character 5 of wave 1

The info was right but the faulty part is which character was next it’s possible character 5 or part of wave 2 is where the ryu came from just that simple

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just a heads up, if anyone out there happens to have an Xbox One or Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Gold, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is one of the October games of the month.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Yea, I’d be disappointed if Ryu wasn’t #5, but it would still be possible that Shifty’s source knows he’s coming. It would makes things less certain though. I’m just tired of waiting at this point... lol

Last edited:

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
Yea, I’d be disappointed if Ryu wasn’t #5, but it would still be possible that Shifty’s source knows he’s coming. It would makes things less certain though. I’m just tired of waiting at this point... lol
Absolutely man. Ditto. October’s my favorite month of the year, and I still can’t wait for the next announcement (presumably in November).

I think Hayabusa is my most requested character now. Close seconds would be Raiden + Sephiroth (I really like katanas). I like to believe he has a pretty good shot at getting in, hopefully as the fifth character. It feels like he should have been in Smash 4!

RavenousChuChu

Smash Rookie
Ryu: Is apparently in love with someone.

Also Ryu: View attachment 240728
I absolutely adore the cutscenes in the classic NG trilogy, in a cheesy sort of way! I always found it hilarious how Ryu the super ninja always had people sneak up on him, with Irene in the first, Robert with a funny nod to the aforementioned cutscene in the second, and Clancy in the third. Truly some of my most memorable gaming moments when I was younger!

Anyway, how's everyone doing? I've been frequenting this site for many years now, mostly to check out character guides, but only recently found this support thread. As an avid Ninja gaiden fan, (NG black being one of my all time favourite games) I thought I'd drop by to join the discussion, and show some support for everyone's favourite Dragon ninja!

RavenousChuChu

Smash Rookie
Ryu vs Ryu, anybody?
This alongside Ryu & Ryu vs Roy & Roy would be a must haha!

I know i'm a little late to the party, joining quite a few pages in, so feel free to stop me in my tracks if i'm retreading any previously brought up topics!
But on another note, do you guys think that the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden would receive any kind of nod if Hayabusa made his way into smash? Of course, I can imagine the majority of his inspiration would draw from the NES games, given it's the one Nintendo fans would most likely recognize, similar to Simon and Banjo-Kazooie (the N64 games in the latter's case). To my knowledge, the NES version became much more popular due to the fast paced gameplay, music and the then groundbreaking use of cutscenes on consoles (or at least was one of the earliest games to popularize it), although the arcade NG still received a fair amount of praise for its music and visuals (not to mention they were both released around a very similiar time frame).

Personally, i'd hope for it to be in the form of a music track if there is any sort of arcade representation e.g. the stage 1 BGM "Shadow Soldier"

I'm also hoping they wouldn't draw too much inspiration from his arcade moveset! The main reason being that although his hand is firmly on his sword when moving around; 99% of the fighting consists of punches and kicks, since from my experience the dragon sword can only be used for a very limited amount of time with a power up drop lol.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
That would be quite the spectacle!

But on another note, do you guys think that the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden would receive any kind of nod if Hayabusa made his way into smash?
Ryu's throw in the arcade game has been implemented in the modern Ninja Gaiden games and Dead or Alive series as the Guillotine Throw so that's one thing.

Of course, I can imagine the majority of his inspiration would draw from the NES games,
My ideal representation for Ryu's moves would actually be to pull from the modern Ninja Gaiden action games for his A moveset, as well as some quick moves like kicks from the Dead or Alive series. From the NES Ninja Gaiden games, Ryu barely has any sword attacks to pull moves from (1 identical sword slash in a standing, crouching, AND aerial position?). It is better to borrow existing moves from his own games rather than make up a bunch of sword/knife moves that come out of nowhere (Joker anyone?). His NES ninpo, on the other hand, can indeed be better represented given its variability in appearance and usage, maybe with a bit of modern flair from the modern games as well.

given it's the one Nintendo fans would most likely recognize, similar to Simon and Banjo-Kazooie (the N64 games in the latter's case). To my knowledge, the NES version became much more popular due to the fast paced gameplay, music and the then groundbreaking use of cutscenes on consoles (or at least was one of the earliest games to popularize it), although the arcade NG still received a fair amount of praise for its music and visuals (not to mention they were both released around a very similiar time frame).
I might have to disagree with this one point. I like that people have NES nostalgia for Ninja Gaiden as that is Ryu Hayabusa's roots in video game history but the modern games shouldn't be ignored just because Super Smash Bros. is a Nintendo series. I believe we are well past the point in properly representing Nintendo-originated characters with fighters like Snake, Bayonetta, and Joker.

As for Simon Belmont and Banjo & Kazooie, they are both characters who's popularity was in fact rooted in Nintendo history. To this day, their Nintendo roots are more fondly remembered than their most modern appearances in video games. While Ryu Hayabusa shares Nintendo roots with the two, it is actually arguable where most of his popularity actually comes from. Ryu has popularity with Nintendo fans because of his NES games but he also has popularity from the modern Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive series for Xbox and Playstation. Ryu also makes frequent appearance in Koei Tecmo's games in his modern appearance as well. Basically, I just don't think he should only represented with his NES games because that isn't only who he is as a video game character to many. He is represented to Nintendo fans, Xbox fans, and PlayStation fans quite differently and I would like that reflected in his moveset.

I'm also hoping they wouldn't draw too much inspiration from his arcade moveset! The main reason being that although his hand is firmly on his sword when moving around; 99% of the fighting consists of punches and kicks, since from my experience the dragon sword can only be used for a very limited amount of time with a power up drop lol.
I don't believe this to be a possibility as they'd have to be crazy to only represent his arcade moveset. I'd rather them port his Dead or Alive moveset than pull inspiration only from the arcade.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I know i'm a little late to the party, joining quite a few pages in, so feel free to stop me in my tracks if i'm retreading any previously brought up topics!
But on another note, do you guys think that the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden would receive any kind of nod if Hayabusa made his way into smash? Of course, I can imagine the majority of his inspiration would draw from the NES games, given it's the one Nintendo fans would most likely recognize, similar to Simon and Banjo-Kazooie (the N64 games in the latter's case). To my knowledge, the NES version became much more popular due to the fast paced gameplay, music and the then groundbreaking use of cutscenes on consoles (or at least was one of the earliest games to popularize it), although the arcade NG still received a fair amount of praise for its music and visuals (not to mention they were both released around a very similiar time frame).

Personally, i'd hope for it to be in the form of a music track if there is any sort of arcade representation e.g. the stage 1 BGM "Shadow Soldier"

I figure they might check it out for move inspiration but they got more than enough material so I wouldn't be surprised to see it completely ignored.

RavenousChuChu

Smash Rookie
Actually when looking over my previous post, I don't think I made it too clear that I was moreso discussing just the NES and Arcade versions when I was referring to where the majority of his classic moveset representation would come from, I really doubt that they'd exclude modern moveset staples like the Izuna drop. More specifically I think that the specials would be better to take from the NES version such as ninpo e.g. the art of the fire wheels and shurikens/ windmill shurikens as opposed to his basic arcade punch and kicks. I guess the arcade flying neck throw is the basis of his modern guillotine throw as you mentioned, a staple in Ryu's modern moveset, so I definitely think it would make some sort of appearance in a smash based moveset. I completely agree with Hayabusa having a wealth of games to draw from moveset wise, with both the modern 3D trilogy and Dead or Alive! Although I enjoy the original trilogy, i'm definitely a bigger fan of the 3D entries (mostly Black and Sigma 1) and a big advocate for his normals and smash attacks being taken from them given the larger movepool. I think the flying swallow slash possibly could make for an up B special and of course we can't forget about his iconic Izuna drop!

I have to admit, I think I subconciously lean more towards Ninja Gaiden than Dead or Alive when discussing Ryu's moveset, since I always think of NG being Ryu's home series and DoA making Ryu play a more side role with Kasumi as the face, although I am aware that he defeated Tengu to win the 2nd tournament (please correct me if i'm wrong though, I admittedly haven't kept up with the story in the last few entries so i'm not sure if Ryu plays a much bigger role in the later games), but I know that DoA is still an integral part of Ryu's history, so I wouldn't want his hand to hand combat being completely glossed over!

Also, I think my disjointed hitbox bias might be coming through when thinking of his dragon sword normals...
Darn it, if he makes it in, I just want opponents to tremble in fear of disjointed hit boxes like Lucina and Shulk lol!

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Holy crap, I just had an epiphany! Samus' appearance in Smash Ultimate is still heavily based on her Metroid: Other M varia suit which was a game developed by Team Ninja. The game is still controversial for a Metroid game but maybe just maybe, Sakurai is doing that on purpose for Team Ninja and Ryu Hayabusa WILL finally join Smash! Nah, I'm crazy.

Speaking of character appearances, Snake's sneaking suit still being based on the one from MGS2 is interesting because MGS2 isn't even on any Nintendo platforms whatsoever.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Holy crap, I just had an epiphany! Samus' appearance in Smash Ultimate is still heavily based on her Metroid: Other M varia suit which was a game developed by Team Ninja. The game is still controversial for a Metroid game but maybe just maybe, Sakurai is doing that on purpose for Team Ninja and Ryu Hayabusa WILL finally join Smash! Nah, I'm crazy.

Speaking of character appearances, Snake's sneaking suit still being based on the one from MGS2 is interesting because MGS2 isn't even on any Nintendo platforms whatsoever.
that does kind of explain why ridley is a hybrid of both the other m ridley and super metroid snes ridley

D

Deleted member

On the topic of Other M, I actually hope Team Ninja would get to develop another Metroid game someday. The premise of Metroid as a character action game is still pretty cool in concept, but Other M was mainly executed disappointingly for various reasons like the story and controls (though apparently it wasn't really the fault of Team Ninja but Yoshio Sakamoto). It'd be cool to see Team Ninja get another run with Metroid again and improve on the things that made Other M flawed.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Absolutely man. Ditto. October’s my favorite month of the year, and I still can’t wait for the next announcement (presumably in November).

I think Hayabusa is my most requested character now. Close seconds would be Raiden + Sephiroth (I really like katanas). I like to believe he has a pretty good shot at getting in, hopefully as the fifth character. It feels like he should have been in Smash 4!
I personally think he has one of the best shots of any character. I’m hoping to see him as #5 too, but he may not be. Honestly I’ll be really surprised if he doesn’t show up eventually. He has honestly risen even higher on my request list since playing and beating NES Gaiden and learning about his strong ties to Nintendo.

He’s just such a perfect fit. I think he’d fit my play-style well too. A presumably fast sword and projectile user? Yes please! I imagine his weight will be average as well.

As for when we’ll get another announcement I think it’s more likely that things will come full circle at the Game Awards on 12/12 with a character trailer. It could be earlier though. B&K came out pretty damn quickly, so they may be ahead of schedule.

RavenousChuChu

Smash Rookie
On the topic of Other M, I actually hope Team Ninja would get to develop another Metroid game someday. The premise of Metroid as a character action game is still pretty cool in concept, but Other M was mainly executed disappointingly for various reasons like the story and controls (though apparently it wasn't really the fault of Team Ninja but Yoshio Sakamoto). It'd be cool to see Team Ninja get another run with Metroid again and improve on the things that made Other M flawed.
I couldn't agree more! It's a shame that Team Ninja were reportedly instructed to keep the controls confined to the Wii mote only, I think the additional nunchuck controls alone would've greatly enhanced the experience! And don't get me started on the first person "spot the odd thing out" segments...
But for the sake of keeping everyone awake, I think my boring Other M rants should be saved for another time and place! (oh and the fact that we might be on a Ninja Gaiden/ DoA forum haha).

I personally think he has one of the best shots of any character. I’m hoping to see him as #5 too, but he may not be. Honestly I’ll be really surprised if he doesn’t show up eventually. He has honestly risen even higher on my request list since playing and beating NES Gaiden and learning about his strong ties to Nintendo.

He’s just such a perfect fit. I think he’d fit my play-style well too. A presumably fast sword and projectile user? Yes please! I imagine his weight will be average as well.

As for when we’ll get another announcement I think it’s more likely that things will come full circle at the Game Awards on 12/12 with a character trailer. It could be earlier though. B&K came out pretty damn quickly, so they may be ahead of schedule.
After Sonic & Snake were revealed back in brawl, I always held out hope that Ryu would make an appearance in smash at some point! Then I heard about the Ryu leak in smash 4... needless to say, my high expectations were crushed shortly after discovering it was the other Ryu lol (I'm still a huge street fighter/ fighting game fan in general, so admittedly there was still a glimmer of hype). After that event, I've always taken the approach of not setting my expectations too high in the case of character reveals so I'll never be too disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be what I expected.

Also congratulations on finishing Ninja Gaiden! Rewind feature or not, it's still ridiculously tough the first time around, especially with the final boss phases and the borderline unfair enemy placement/ respawning in the final levels leading up to them; It becomes full on trial and error more so than ever!

If you enjoyed the first, I'd definitely recommend the sequels. They're also tough as you might expect, but I think the level design and Ryu's additional abilities were improved. Although i like the music across all the games in the trilogy, I'd say the second has some of the most catchy tracks imo!

New character announcements can't come soon enough!

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
On topic, here is a recent poll conducted by the leaker Sabi to determine the "most expected" character for Smash DLC. https://nintendosoup.com/doom-geno-...anted-dlc-characters-for-smash-bros-ultimate/ Fake leaks and Shifty really did a number on people making them dread expect Ryu Hayabusa's inclusion with his placement at third with only 8 votes behind Geno. I will say I don't take this poll completely seriously as it only takes into account votes from users in Sabi, PapaGenos, and Scott the Woz's Discord servers. First column are "most expected" votes. Second column are "most wanted" votes.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I voted Hayabusa for most likely,but sorry gang, I had to go with Shadow.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So I wanted to post this real quick. More support for Ryu? Who knows, but it’s good to see:

Starts at 6:28

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
So I wanted to post this real quick. More support for Ryu?
Probably fake. Obscured name to not be associated with fake leak. No proof of PP being leaked shown. Just a Discord message anyone could've given PapaGeno's. Especially since Geno is specifically mentioned does it seem targeted to PapaGeno's on purpose to cover it.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Probably fake. Obscured name to not be associated with fake leak. No proof of PP being leaked shown. Just a Discord message anyone could've given PapaGeno's. Especially since Geno is specifically mentioned does it seem targeted to PapaGeno's on purpose to cover it.
I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to post the same comment four times in a row.
If you did do this on propose, then you will like be reported.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to post the same comment four times in a row.
If you did do this on propose, then you will like be reported.[/QUOTE]
I did not do it on purpose. My mobile browser is slow at times and doesn't post my message automatically. It is because I am selecting post reply until it submits and then it comes out all at once by accident.

EDIT: It did it again, sorry, I'll just stop using my smartphone from posting.

Last edited:

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
I’m a pretty skeptical person, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this has some stock to it. Let me explain why:

IAmShifty leaked Piranha Plant before it was announced for Smash, he said his sources also predicted Ryu Hayabusa, and stuck to his guns even after Terry was announced.

It’s entirely possible that the anonymous person who contacted PapaGeno has the same sources as IAmShifty. If this is the case, the same “Nintendo” source that leaked piranha plant is leaking Ryu Hayabusa. It’s possible they both are using the same source which is an employee who works for nintendo.

However, this could be a copycat leaker who decided to copy IAmShifty. But again, that’s an odd choice considering Shifty was recently wrong about Hayabusa being the 4th DLC, so that wouldn’t be a great decision to add to your credibility. I’m actually starting to have more hope Hayabusa could be the last fighter.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I'm actually starting to have more hope Hayabusa could be the last fighter.
I want and kinda sorta feel this may be the case but just don't want to be wrong. I partly want it to be right because I hate how others say Hayabusa wouldn't be a really hype end to the Fighters Pass, like Sakurai and Nintendo actually cares about that.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I really have no reason to distrust PapaGenos at this point. He must of shared this information because he thought it had some merit to it. I did think it was odd that he didn't post a picture of the PP leak, but I think that was because he was trying to keep the person anonymous? More might come from this as well since the leaker claimed they would provide evidence for their claims (plural). We'll just have to see.

They're definately not taking this leak well in the Geno thread I'll tell you that lol. I suppose it's to be expected given how long they've been slighted, but there may be hope for them yet.

I’m a pretty skeptical person, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this has some stock to it. Let me explain why:

IAmShifty leaked Piranha Plant before it was announced for Smash, he said his sources also predicted Ryu Hayabusa, and stuck to his guns even after Terry was announced.

It’s entirely possible that the anonymous person who contacted PapaGeno has the same sources as IAmShifty. If this is the case, the same “Nintendo” source that leaked piranha plant is leaking Ryu Hayabusa. It’s possible they both are using the same source which is an employee who works for nintendo.

However, this could be a copycat leaker who decided to copy IAmShifty. But again, that’s an odd choice considering Shifty was recently wrong about Hayabusa being the 4th DLC, so that wouldn’t be a great decision to add to your credibility. I’m actually starting to have more hope Hayabusa could be the last fighter.
That's a really good point. I had also considered that he might be copying IAmShifty, but that wouldn't be the wisest thing to do currently as you said. It's also interesting that IamShifty has refused to back down from his claim, which means he's still pretty damn confident. I'm hoping we'll get more evidence soon to support the PapaGeno leak. I think we're safe to be cautiously optimistic. :grin:
After Sonic & Snake were revealed back in brawl, I always held out hope that Ryu would make an appearance in smash at some point! Then I heard about the Ryu leak in smash 4... needless to say, my high expectations were crushed shortly after discovering it was the other Ryu lol (I'm still a huge street fighter/ fighting game fan in general, so admittedly there was still a glimmer of hype). After that event, I've always taken the approach of not setting my expectations too high in the case of character reveals so I'll never be too disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be what I expected.

Also congratulations on finishing Ninja Gaiden! Rewind feature or not, it's still ridiculously tough the first time around, especially with the final boss phases and the borderline unfair enemy placement/ respawning in the final levels leading up to them; It becomes full on trial and error more so than ever!

If you enjoyed the first, I'd definitely recommend the sequels. They're also tough as you might expect, but I think the level design and Ryu's additional abilities were improved. Although i like the music across all the games in the trilogy, I'd say the second has some of the most catchy tracks imo!

New character announcements can't come soon enough!
That's too true about trying to keep your expectations in check. That's part of the reason I lost it so much when B&K were revealed. When it comes to Ryu though, I'd say his chances are pretty high regardless.

Thank you for the congratulations. The game would've been unplayable to me without the rewind feature honestly lol. I just would've gotten tired of going through the same level over and over again to get the timing right. I enjoyed it overall though, and I will be looking to buy the sequels on Wii U. I'm also interested in playing the modern games as well. I was planning to get a 360 sometime next year to play Banjo and Kazooie, so that would be the perfect time to check them out as well!

Last edited:

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
I actually started Ninja Gaiden NES yesterday on the Switch! I think I’m on Stage 3-2. The game is hard, and I’m trying to use the save feature only at the beginning of stages or right before a boss fight when I have full health.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I have 0 connection nor history with Ryu Hayabusa (I've never played a Ninja Gaiden or Dead or Alive game). However, I believe he (along with Geno) is one of the most likely DLC characters.

Koei Techmo and Nintendo are so close, and it is weird that they don't have a character yet. If he isn't character #5 in the Fighters Pass, I think he'll be one of the extra DLC characters.

I try to be objective in my research with possible upcoming DLC characters, and Ryu Hayabusa definitely is one of the top choices I'm confident in (again, not bias at all, as I have no connection to him).

Also, four things:

1.) Why is the stage that everyone seems to assume will come with Ryu Hayabusa "Sky City Tokyo" (that's the assumption at least where I've looked)?
2.) I hope if Ryu Hayabusa gets in his default design is his modern black design (I would like the classic skin as an alt, but I just think it doesn't look as good as the modern design).
3.) I've never heard any Ninja Gaiden music, but when doing research for Ryu Hayabusa I stumbled upon his theme in Warriors Orochi 3 and man... I hope that gets in Smash because that's really catchy.
4.) Do you think if Ryu Hayabusa got in Smash they'd cut off the Hayabusa on the character select screen? I know Smash doesn't do full names (Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, Terry Bogard, etc.), but I've heard everyone refer to him as his full name more often than not. I don't know how much that occurs in Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive. Personally, I'd prefer the Hayabusa be kept in... but I doubt it.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'd be interested in your guys' thoughts and responses! (Also, can you please add me to the supporter list? While Ryu Hayabusa isn't my most wanted, I'm rooting for you guys since he is a legacy character and I think you guys have a chance.)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have 0 connection nor history with Ryu Hayabusa (I've never played a Ninja Gaiden or Dead or Alive game). However, I believe he (along with Geno) is one of the most likely DLC characters.

Koei Techmo and Nintendo are so close, and it is weird that they don't have a character yet. If he isn't character #5 in the Fighters Pass, I think he'll be one of the extra DLC characters.

I try to be objective in my research with possible upcoming DLC characters, and Ryu Hayabusa definitely is one of the top choices I'm confident in (again, not bias at all, as I have no connection to him).

Also, four things:

1.) Why is the stage that everyone seems to assume will come with Ryu Hayabusa "Sky City Tokyo" (that's the assumption at least where I've looked)?
2.) I hope if Ryu Hayabusa gets in his default design is his modern black design (I would like the classic skin as an alt, but I just think it doesn't look as good as the modern design).
3.) I've never heard any Ninja Gaiden music, but when doing research for Ryu Hayabusa I stumbled upon his theme in Warriors Orochi 3 and man... I hope that gets in Smash because that's really catchy.
4.) Do you think if Ryu Hayabusa got in Smash they'd cut off the Hayabusa on the character select screen? I know Smash doesn't do full names (Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, Terry Bogard, etc.), but I've heard everyone refer to him as his full name more often than not. I don't know how much that occurs in Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive. Personally, I'd prefer the Hayabusa be kept in... but I doubt it.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'd be interested in your guys' thoughts and responses! (Also, can you please add me to the supporter list? While Ryu Hayabusa isn't my most wanted, I'm rooting for you guys since he is a legacy character and I think you guys have a chance.)
I figure that if they were to cut off his name, he'd just be called Hayabusa, that's what he's called in DoA.

And the song you heard is Unbreakable Determination, it's the one song I'd bet money to be included should Ryu be in Smash.

Top Bottom