• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Anyone think IAmShifty still has any credbility?
Him claiming Ryu Hayabusa to be the 4th Fighters Pass character and then that turning out to be Terry Bogard hurt him quite a bit. Ryu being announced for Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate around the same time made things worse. I cannot take Shifty's word as anything less than miscommunication between him and his sources about which Ultimate game Ryu is getting into. Until his sources can physically provide tangible evidence that Ryu is in fact getting into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I can't take his word for it.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Him claiming Ryu Hayabusa to be the 4th Fighters Pass character and then that turning out to be Terry Bogard hurt him quite a bit. Ryu being announced for Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate around the same time made things worse. I cannot take Shifty's word as anything less than miscommunication between him and his sources about which Ultimate game Ryu is getting into. Until his sources can physically provide tangible evidence that Ryu is in fact getting into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I can't take his word for it.
I’m curious on what his full track record is currently. What did he get wrong? Predicting Piranha Plant is just really impressive to me. Hard to know of course.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I’m curious on what his full track record is currently. What did he get wrong? Predicting Piranha Plant is just really impressive to me. Hard to know of course.
I only watched his videos where he claimed Hayabusa was the 4th DLC character and his follow up to that where he confirms Hayabusa is still coming. He apparently leaked Piranha Plant and Marx as a boss, before those two were revealed to be true. As for Hayabusa, he said he knew and hinted at him ever since April 1st on Twitter or something. I don't follow Shifty so I can't corroborate all his claims. I am not completely unbelieving of Shifty but that Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate announcement soon after his video really puts a damper on things even if he said his sources are from Nintendo.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Remember Vergeben said Erdrick was the first DLC but he wasn't, and then Dai from DQ got into Jump Force and people thought he got that confused. We got a similar situation right now

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
I really want to believe IAmShifty since he predicted Hayabusa, but I’ve lost a lot of faith.

In his first video he was very adamant that Ryu Hayabusa would be the fourth DLC character. He retracted that in his next video and said “as far as I know” my sources still say he’s coming. I’ve spoken with him a couple times on Twitter as well.

He hasn’t responded to my most recent tweet where I asked him if he’s still certain about Ryu (as of this morning) and he’s posting a bunch of other stuff about Astral Chain/enjoying Banjo. To me, it seems like he’s trying to deflect attention to other things since he messed up.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hey, Spazzy! Big Source Gaming fan! What's the project? (Or is that a secret?) Also, how likely do you think Ryu Hayabusa is? (P.S., if you don't mind indulging, what characters do you think are likely for Fighter #5 + post-pass DLC?)
Just doing an "All Content" Ryu Hayabusa video. I'm a fan, and played through the original trilogy and all three of the new 3D games, but I could always use some other fans to bounce ideas off of.

I think Hayabusa, a Resident Evil character, and maybe Doom Guy are likely. Crash seems like a good choice, too, and I am actually liking Geno's chances at the moment.

Still hard to say without knowing the post fighter pass approach to DLC, though.

That's a great start! I might reach out to you to discuss a few things if that's all right.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Listen up

This is telling me no more 1st party for smash ultimate

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just finished the original Ninja Gaiden for the first time ever and it was hard as *****. I can't stand the constant respawn of the enemies after you kill them it makes me want to tear my hair out. I liked it, but it has it's flaws. I'm not too sure if I will try Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 yet.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I hope they aren't done with adding NES games for Nintendo Switch Online. It'd be really nice to have Ninja Gaiden 2 & 3 which would be more accessible with save states.

On another note, anyone believe in the so called "color theory"? On the official Smash Ultimate website, all the DLC characters have a color behind them, presumably their primary design color or something related to them specifically. Piranha Plant is green (it's stem and leaves), Joker is red (Persona 5's main color theme), Hero is purple (primary design color), Banjo & Kazooie is yellowish (presumably the Jiggies), and Terry Bogard is blue (SNK logo). The last color for fighter#5 would presumably be orange which would be hard to argue it being Ryu Hayabusa because he is primarily black in his modern design and blue in his NES incarnation. The best I can think of is the NES Ninja Gaiden title art is red and yellow then converges to orange in the middle, Ryu is shown in front of flames in the boxart of NES Ninja Gaiden 1 & 3, Ninja Gaiden Black & Sigma and maybe Dragon Sword, and he has fire ninpo. I know this is flimsy reasoning but my main focus is if the color theory has merit to it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I just finished the original Ninja Gaiden for the first time ever and it was hard as *****. I can't stand the constant respawn of the enemies after you kill them it makes me want to tear my hair out. I liked it, but it has it's flaws. I'm not too sure if I will try Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 yet.
Yes. It's one of the most fun and frustrating games on the NES library.
Doesn't help that after playing VICE: Project Doom (NES as well), I got spoiled by what's essentially the exact same game engine, but much better controls.

Still, I really hope NG2 and NG3 grace the NSO NES service. I never made it that far in either of them.

Oh, and naturally the New Gen ones as well. Maybe on portable I can make myself finish it.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I got an Xbox One S and started Ninja Gaiden Black. I'm on chapter 2. So far it's really fun and I'm getting used to the controls. I'm having a hard time against enemies that defend themselves. Kicking them helps, but I think that's it.
Any tips for the game in general?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
What does everyone think about finally having a character that can change weapons? I just think it’d be interesting to have someone that changes their attacks (except specials unless the devs are feeling bold) but keeps all their other stats. Honestly I feel like Ryu would be perfect for this. Probably won’t happen at the DLC stage because of how involved it would be, but you never know. What would work best for a weapon in addition to the Dragon Sword? Personally I was thinking on having the Eclispe Scythe.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
What does everyone think about finally having a character that can change weapons? I just think it’d be interesting to have someone that changes their attacks (except specials unless the devs are feeling bold) but keeps all their other stats. Honestly I feel like Ryu would be perfect for this. Probably won’t happen at the DLC stage because of how involved it would be, but you never know. What would work best for a weapon in addition to the Dragon Sword? Personally I was thinking on having the Eclispe Scythe.
I've been thinking this for quite some time. Due to his mastery of multiple weapon styles, Ryu could be used as an outlet for showcases of various Japanese/ninja weaponry. Obviously, the Dragon Sword would be one of them. Other possible options are Lunar Staff, Nunchaku, Kusarigama, Eclipse Scythe, Falcon's Talons, Tonfa, Dual Katanas, etc. He could even reference Dead or Alive with his Hayabusa Ninjitsu fighting style as a separate stance.

Although, the switching of different fighting styles would be cool, it would no doubt take more resources to develop a character like that due to them essentially being multiple characters in one thus taking more time to make. If a character like this were in the mind of the developers, they'd probably limit his potential to three stances/styles, like Pokemon Trainer's three Pokemon in one. Personally, the only moves I would change are the normal A attack moves: neutral A attack, 3 tilts, 3 smashes, and 4 aerials, as well as his idle and block animations. Everything else would stay the same so they wouldn't have that much more to work with.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To be honest the only character I can see them doing this for is Dante.

D

Deleted member

I got bored, so I decided to look at some stuff on Koei's wiki for fun. 1 of the things I stumbled upon was a DLC page for Warriors Orochi 3 on wikia which had this wallpaper of Ryu Hayabusa.

1568522081776.png

I've seen too many of the same renders of him being used for stuff related to Smash, but I really like the way he looks here. I'd dig it if his Smash render would look a lot like this.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Why is that? Who was the very first character to have multiple main weapons anyway?
Well, just because I can see them choosing to make that Dante's gimmick if he ever gets playable - to differentiate him from other characters.

I don't think that's what they'd go for with Hayabusa, he doesn't need it to stand out and imo they'd go for a moveset more inspired on the original trilogy with a few moves from the new ones added - like Simon.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I don't think that's what they'd go for with Hayabusa, he doesn't need it to stand out and imo they'd go for a moveset more inspired on the original trilogy with a few moves from the new ones added - like Simon.
Ryu is in quite the precarious position since he has plenty of fans from both the NES and modern trilogies, even Dead or Alive shouldn't be dismissed. I would personally strike a balance with his moveset so not one series is more prevalent in references than the others.

As for Simon, I don't think anyone actually remembers him fondly in other games than the NES and SNES ones. Ryu Hayabusa, on the hand, is much more recognizable in his modern appearance due to still having a prominent marketable presence in the active Dead or Alive and Warriors series, currently Dead or Alive 6 and Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate for both.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ryu is in quite the precarious position since he has plenty of fans from both the NES and modern trilogies, even Dead or Alive shouldn't be dismissed. I would personally strike a balance with his moveset so not one series is more prevalent in references than the others.

As for Simon, I don't think anyone actually remembers him fondly in other games than the NES and SNES ones. Ryu Hayabusa, on the hand, is much more recognizable in his modern appearance due to still having a prominent marketable presence in the active Dead or Alive and Warriors series, currently Dead or Alive 6 and Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate for both.
That's a fair point.

D

Deleted member

During TGS, Koei-Tecmo showed off some stuff on WO4U, so here's Ryu Hayabusa's render:

1568829953712.png

Kinda strange that they went with his NG2 design when they had his NG3 design in Warriors All Stars, but anyways, I thought I'd show this because it would also be pretty cool if his Smash render looks very close to this (though I do prefer the other pose I posted before).

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Kinda strange that they went with his NG2 design when they had his NG3 design in Warriors All Stars, but anyways, I thought I'd show this because it would also be pretty cool if his Smash render looks very close to this (though I do prefer the other pose I posted before).
When thinking about his render, it will also be his Smash amiibo. I would probably want something more dynamic since I collect all the Smash amiibo.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I think Hayabusa, a Resident Evil character, and maybe Doom Guy are likely. Crash seems like a good choice, too, and I am actually liking Geno's chances at the moment.
Just saw your comment now, and I gotta ask, how the hell is Resident Evil likely?? I mean, I get that Smash has accepted a few M-rated characters in the roster (and Ryu Hayabusa would be one of them), but come on, there's still gotta be some boundaries. Those come from franchises that can be toned down and still stay true to the spirit of its series, which I highly doubt that the same thing could be said about a freaking horror series like Resident Evil.

Yeah, Hayabusa truly is that last NES all star not in Smash yet. Of course there is the Contra bois and Arthur from Ghost & Goblins, but Hayabusa is really that last NES character left that I feel is on the same field as :ultmario:, :ultlink:, :ultmegaman:, :ultsamus:, :ultsimon:, :ultduckhunt:, and :ultpit:.
Honestly, I really think Contra is definetly up there in that same field with all the NES all stars that you've mentioned.
It pops up in a lot of people's minds when they think of best NES games, and I believe it popularized the Run n Gun genre.
That’s why Bill Rizer is easily the next, and maybe last, NES all star I'll be rooting for (that is, if Ryu Hayabusa gets in first, which he likely will at this point).

Ghosts n Goblins, while it did have its own unique charm, its games, specially the NES one, were insanely difficult (YES! Even by NES standards), and had quite a few redundant aspects, such as having to beat the game twice, in a row.
Nevertheless I would definitely like to see Sir Arthur in Smash too. I'm already quite satisfied that he got to return in Marvel vs Capcom, he's so cartoony compared to the rest of the game's roster.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have a feeling we wouldn’t get an alternate costume for classic Ryu, but a color based on him.

I just remembered Classic Ryu uses his sword on his belt, iai-do style. Modern Ryu however has the sword on his back, like ninjas usually do. I don’t think that should be a major factor against the alt costume, but it does kind of separate them a bit more.

Although I could totally see the Classic Ryu amiibo in a pose where he’s about to unsheathe the sword from his belt.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I have a feeling we wouldn’t get an alternate costume for classic Ryu, but a color based on him.

I just remembered Classic Ryu uses his sword on his belt, iai-do style. Modern Ryu however has the sword on his back, like ninjas usually do. I don’t think that should be a major factor against the alt costume, but it does kind of separate them a bit more.

Although I could totally see the Classic Ryu amiibo in a pose where he’s about to unsheathe the sword from his belt.
Sword and sheath placement doesn't stop the classic NES design from being an alt in modern Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive. I don't think Sakurai and Koei Tecmo would miss the opportunity to include it as an alt anyway since the NES trilogy is still fondly remembered to this day.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Most recent version of Classic Ryu has the sword on his back.

Attachments

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just saw your comment now, and I gotta ask, how the hell is Resident Evil likely?? I mean, I get that Smash has accepted a few M-rated characters in the roster (and Ryu Hayabusa would be one of them), but come on, there's still gotta be some boundaries. Those come from franchises that can be toned down and still stay true to the spirit of its series, which I highly doubt that the same thing could be said about a freaking horror series like Resident Evil.

Honestly, I really think Contra is definetly up there in that same field with all the NES all stars that you've mentioned.
It pops up in a lot of people's minds when they think of best NES games, and I believe it popularized the Run n Gun genre.
That’s why Bill Rizer is easily the next, and maybe last, NES all star I'll be rooting for (that is, if Ryu Hayabusa gets in first, which he likely will at this point).

Ghosts n Goblins, while it did have its own unique charm, its games, specially the NES one, were insanely difficult (YES! Even by NES standards), and had quite a few redundant aspects, such as having to beat the game twice, in a row.
Nevertheless I would definitely like to see Sir Arthur in Smash too. I'm already quite satisfied that he got to return in Marvel vs Capcom, he's so cartoony compared to the rest of the game's roster.
I gotta ask, have you played any Resident Evil?

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Resident Evil was never likely. People just hyped up the possibility of a RE rep simply because of the Mii Costume theory which is dead in the ground.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, some of the old school ones. I only watched the more recent titles, like the remakes, on YouTube. But why do you ask?
Then I don't know what to tell ya, I think it's one of the easiest M-rated series to censor. Fighters would just be regular people with firearms, and if zombies are an issue then just have some of the more outlandish monsters.

Resident Evil was never likely. People just hyped up the possibility of a RE rep simply because of the Mii Costume theory which is dead in the ground.
Or because it's one of the most successful, influential and iconic series not yet in Smash?

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Then I don't know what to tell ya, I think it's one of the easiest M-rated series to censor. Fighters would just be regular people with firearms, and if zombies are an issue then just have some of the more outlandish monsters.
Not to mention Resident Evil characters are in Marvel vs. Capcom and Project X Zone which, to my knowledge, don't feature blood?

Looma

Smash Journeyman
MvC3 featured a toned down Resident Evil and it worked just fine. Tone and setting are key to implementing horror, not necessarily graphic violence. Nemesis is so ridiculous and cartoony that he wouldn't turn any more heads than Marx or the Castlevania monsters currently do if he were to show up anyway. RE is full of that kinda stuff, it gets pretty goofy.

Also, are we forgetting Fatal Frame?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I mean of course they can censor anything, but that doesn’t mean that it will end up staying true to the source material. And don’t tell me that Resident Evil works without its grotesque and gory nature, it really wouldn’t be the same thing if there are no bloody zombies or other grotesque monsters waddling around and trying to bite your neck.

Or because it's one of the most successful, influential and iconic series not yet in Smash?
So is Grand Theft Auto, does that mean we suddenly need to have CJ wacking Mario with a purple dildo?

MvC3 featured a toned down Resident Evil and it worked just fine. Tone and setting are key to implementing horror, not necessarily graphic violence. Nemesis is so ridiculous and cartoony that he wouldn't turn any more heads than Marx or the Castlevania monsters currently do if he were to show up anyway. RE is full of that kinda stuff, it gets pretty goofy.

Also, are we forgetting Fatal Frame?
Regardless if it’s toned down, there’s still a difference between a T- rating with “Mild Blood, Violence” and an E10+ game with simple “cartoon violence”.
I really don’t see how something like Nemesis can be considered “cartoony”, the appearance alone could probably warrant the game a T-rating, which I doubt Nintendo would be in favor of seeing that happen.
If he were to show up, then what’s next, Pyramid Head? Chris Walker from Outlast?
And I don’t remember seeing anything particularly goofy in Resident Evil games that manages to contrast with its tone, unlike something like Metal Gear Solid or Bayonetta where there’s violence and gore, but there’s also some pretty cartoony aspects that easily changes the mood of the game, like seeing your enemies dizzy with stars circling around their heads, that kinda stuff.
Also the Fatal Frame content is very limited.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

You have a point. The legendary Konami code alone has enough points to warrant a slot for the Contra bois.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
You have a point. The legendary Konami code alone has enough points to warrant a slot for the Contra bois.
Oh yeah, totally forgot to mention about the famous Konami code lol

They definitely need to implement that, in some sort of way, if they are to include Bill Rizer, and maybe Lance Bean as an alt.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Regardless if it’s toned down, there’s still a difference between a T- rating with “Mild Blood, Violence” and an E10+ game with simple “cartoon violence”.
Mild Blood referred to Frank's zombies, Nemesis, and the Demon Village stage. Nemesis only bled during certain attacks, which is something that he wouldn't have to do in a cameo role (and it was green). Aside from Nemesis and his Turok-esque censorship, RE was pretty much squeaky clean save for some light swearing, which was just normal fare for that game. Vanilla didn't even have Nemesis.
I really don’t see how something like Nemesis can be considered “cartoony”, the appearance alone could probably warrant the game a T-rating, which I doubt Nintendo would be in favor of seeing that happen.
If he were to show up, then what’s next, Pyramid Head? Chris Walker from Outlast?
Nemesis is a Frankenstein's monster with a rocket launcher and a leather coat, that's pretty outlandish. His physical appearance might be off putting but it's not exactly graphic. He's more of a big dumb movie monster, which is quite a few rungs below Pyramid Head
who is a personification of James' guilt and sexual frustration, much much heavier stuff
I haven't played Outlast so I don't know about that other guy.
And I don’t remember seeing anything particularly goofy in Resident Evil games that manages to contrast with its tone, unlike something like Metal Gear Solid or Bayonetta where there’s violence and gore, but there’s also some pretty cartoony aspects that easily changes the mood of the game, like seeing your enemies dizzy with stars circling around their heads, that kinda stuff.
Also the Fatal Frame content is very limited.
Resident Evil is a horror game, it would be defeating the purpose of itself if it was constantly breaking the tension during the game with gags. It's just not the same type of game as Bayonetta or Metal Gear, as the game is designed to scare you and create tension. This comparison isn't really fair. That said, RE still pulls off some goofy stuff both intentionally and unintentionally. RE1 might as well come with a laugh track. RE4-6 are dumb action movies with Leon "no thanks, bro" Kennedy dropping one liners, and Chris "boulder punching" Redfield putting those newfound muscles to work. Then there's Wesker, who has been such a ludicrous ham since day 1 that even Chris calls him a comic book villain in RE5. Also, "Jill Sandwich" and "Master of Unlocking" are running jokes that persist to this day.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And don’t tell me that Resident Evil works without its grotesque and gory nature, it really wouldn’t be the same thing if there are no bloody zombies or other grotesque monsters waddling around and trying to bite your neck.
Resident Evil as a game? Sure, doesn't work without that.
Resident Evil as a franchise represented in Smash? Perfectly. I don't know why you think the tone of a franchise has to be maintained, hell if that were the case Metal Gear would be way different.
So is Grand Theft Auto, does that mean we suddenly need to have CJ wacking Mario with a purple dildo?
If GTA was from a Japanese company, yeah, he might already be in. Not sure why you think namedropping another one of the most iconic characters in gaming hurts my argument.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
My hot take on why RE should be in Smash is that it essentially created the Horror genre of games, the series has surprisingly strong support on Nintendo, and it is Capcoms highest performing series outdoing Street Fighter and Megaman.

But I'd rather not get this thread off topic. If you want to talk RE go to the respective threads for Jill, Leon etc.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My hot take on why RE should be in Smash is that it essentially created the Horror genre of games, the series has surprisingly strong support on Nintendo, and it is Capcoms highest performing series outdoing Street Fighter and Megaman.

But I'd rather not get this thread off topic. If you want to talk RE go to the respective threads for Jill, Leon etc.
Actually, Monster Hunter is Capcom's highest grossing franchise.

Top Bottom