• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

D

Deleted member

DADDY TWEETED THE DIRECT GUYS!

WE DEFINATLY SEEING SMASH ULTIMATE STUFF TOMORROW!
I'm hoping maybe, just maybe, they managed to sneak in a double Smash reveal for Smash with Terry and Hayabusa.

It may not be necessary since there's still 5 months left until the end of February, but it's basically me being desperate to see if Hayabusa actually is in the Fighter Pass afterall.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I still have some hope left for Hayabusa.
Given the circumstances, I’ll probably not watch it live.
If the 4th slot does happen to be a SNK character, then...

BEE6A198-D6E9-4D0A-8B73-C62EAD84D9DA.jpeg

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I still have some hope left for Hayabusa.
Given the circumstances, I’ll probably not watch it live.
If the 4th slot does happen to be a SNK character, then...

View attachment 236724
So far In the fighter's pass, I've got 2 pleasings and 1 heartbreaker, Ryu would add up to 3 pleasings. But if the next DLC fighter turns out to be Frisk, I would have another heartbreaker.

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
I mean, obviously they can make anyone interesting, but I find them uninteresting in other regards, primarily design. I know I’ll get flak for this because hating on anime swordsman is taboo here, but the SNK characters look like generic anime characters. At least with Hayabusa he has the ninja outfit that helps him standout with the rest of the pass/cast. But these SNK characters? We already got two “anime” characters in the pass as it is, I was hoping for some more variety.
A lot of the appeal is in the animation imo. Another big point of appeal that doesn't get brought up nearly as much though is how SNK handles it's characters by giving the player lots of info/trivia about them. Like, everyone knows Mai as that one well endowed kunoichi, but not a lot know about how her favorite music genre is heavy metal for example. Terry is of course no exception. He has a pet monkey named Ukee who was the previous mascot of SNK before him, one of his "special skills" is being able to accurately tell a woman's measurements at a glance, he reenacts a scene from Baki The Grappler with Yamazaki in CvS2, etc, etc. SNK usually makes it so that most people will be able to find something to like about one of their characters. Of course if you just can't get into the character then that's fine too, SNK is one of my favorite game companies but pushing them too hard on someone will only leave a bad taste in their mouth. I wish people on twitter would realize this an kindly introduce people to the characters rather than dogpile on them in an attempt to own them. Although both Hero and an SNK character getting in is nothing short of a dream come true to me, we've gotten to the point where people are pushing other people who are unfamiliar with these more niche characters away.

Sorry for the long text wall and not really talking about Ryu. I'm rooting for him on #5 though if he's not in this one.

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
I’d say with WAVE 2 confirmed there’s a pretty good chance Ryu Hayabusa or Doomguy gets in as they’ve been highly requested and both have their old school games on the Switch now! AGHHHH, the wait is gonna feel so damn long now though.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'm hoping that Hayabusa is coming to Smash.

However, if he does appear; I'm going to be sad it's not a surprise.

I'd be pretty happy if Hayabusa gets both moves from Retro Ninja Gaiden and Modern Ninja Gaiden.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So Terry's trailer wasn't a continuation of incineroar. Still great mind you, but this marks that leak as fake.

All in all, it say things aren't looking as hot for Hayabusa at this time. That said nothing is really lost either.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Hayabusa is still incredibly likely. If he doesn't get in I will be shocked.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd agree that, even though Terry's trailer doesn't match up with the 4chan post, Ryu Hayabusa's chances seem incredibly high, especially with the announcement of extra DLC characters. Koei Tecmo's been pretty supportive of Nintendo as of late, between various Warriors spin-offs of Nintendo titles and their work on Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

As well, Ninja Gaiden seems to fit the mold of classic franchises that haven't made it to Smash yet like Persona/Shin Megami Tensei, Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, and the King of Fighters.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'd agree that, even though Terry's trailer doesn't match up with the 4chan post, Ryu Hayabusa's chances seem incredibly high, especially with the announcement of extra DLC characters. Koei Tecmo's been pretty supportive of Nintendo as of late, between various Warriors spin-offs of Nintendo titles and their work on Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

As well, Ninja Gaiden seems to fit the mold of classic franchises that haven't made it to Smash yet like Persona/Shin Megami Tensei, Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, and the King of Fighters.
Terry can be considered a king of fighters rep.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Terry can be considered a king of fighters rep.
I suppose I should rephrase that, since all of those franchises are in Smash as of now. I probably should have put "hadn't" instead of "haven't".

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I know I’ve said this before, but I’d love a Smash remix of Unbreakable Determination! It should be arranged by Keiji Yamagishi! And we also need Smash remixes of other music from the Ninja Gaiden series.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I know I’ve said this before, but I’d love a Smash remix of Unbreakable Determination! It should be arranged by Keiji Yamagishi! And we also need Smash remixes of other music from the Ninja Gaiden series.
Forgive me for being uncultured but who dat? Or easier question what have they done?

Edit: yep I am super uncultured. Smh

Edit: yeah having the original composer to do a remix would pretty badass.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Having listened to some of Keiji’s music, it would be pretty nice.

But on the other hand, having Go Shiina and Yuki Kajiura collaborate in making a composition of Unbreakable Determination and some Ninja Gaiden songs would be something. If you wanna know what they’ve done, they collaborated for the soundtrack for Demon Slayer, and honestly, that kind of music would totally fit Ninja Gaiden’s aesthetic.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Quick question...who would you say is the most knowledgeable Ninja Gaiden fan here? I could use some research help for an upcoming Source Gaming project if anyone is interested.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Quick question...who would you say is the most knowledgeable Ninja Gaiden fan here? I could use some research help for an upcoming Source Gaming project if anyone is interested.
Hey, Spazzy! Big Source Gaming fan! What's the project? (Or is that a secret?) Also, how likely do you think Ryu Hayabusa is? (P.S., if you don't mind indulging, what characters do you think are likely for Fighter #5 + post-pass DLC?)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This probably has been discussed to death, but it would be extremely cool to have the opening scene from the first NES game recreated for his trailer. Except instead of Ken Hayabusa and his killer, the duel is between Sheik and Greninja in a 1:1 8-bit recreated cutscene.

Then at the last moment, when the ninja’s feet leave the ground, a third pair of feet leave the ground as well.
Both Sheik and Greninja as well as a ninja figure all jump at the same time. Then 3 of them fall. Sheik and Greninja drop to the ground, and the 3rd ninja is the one left standing.

Transition to 3D.
Ryu *splash screen*

I foam at the mouth at the idea.

I wish I knew more about NG. I’ve only mostly played the first NES one, and the first new gen one. Haven’t completed a single one, although I do make it very far into them.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I think most of us agree that the beat possible trailer for Haybusa is a recreation of the opening for the original NES game.

Now wether or not they should use 8 bit graphics is a different discussion.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I just finished Ninja Gaiden NES the other day. It was fantastic, and the OST is banging. I definitely want Ryu Hayabusa in Smash, and I'm really tempted to buy an Xbox One S for Ninja Gaiden Black.
Has anyone played it here? Is it worth it?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I just finished Ninja Gaiden NES the other day. It was fantastic, and the OST is banging. I definitely want Ryu Hayabusa in Smash, and I'm really tempted to buy an Xbox One S for Ninja Gaiden Black.
Well as an action game, it’s pretty cool. It’s sort of Devil May Cry-ish, except less emphasis on combos. It’s still a hack and slash game.

As a HUGE fan of the first nes game, I wasn’t really thrilled to go from fast paced eye-blinking-fast reactions of the NES game where every enemy takes 1 hit to dispatch, and you move on, to a slower style of combat system where enemies have lots of health.

It’s just a matter of taste in genre.
Or if you’re really invested in NG lore. (Although the new games are a separate thing from the nes games.

... it’s also notorious for being really difficult.

All that said, I get the urge to plug in my PS3 to finish it once and for all. In fact I was just checking if I could find them on steam, but no luck.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Well as an action game, it’s pretty cool. It’s sort of Devil May Cry-ish, except less emphasis on combos. It’s still a hack and slash game.

As a HUGE fan of the first nes game, I wasn’t really thrilled to go from fast paced eye-blinking-fast reactions of the NES game where every enemy takes 1 hit to dispatch, and you move on, to a slower style of combat system where enemies have lots of health.

It’s just a matter of taste in genre.
Or if you’re really invested in NG lore. (Although the new games are a separate thing from the nes games.

... it’s also notorious for being really difficult.

All that said, I get the urge to plug in my PS3 to finish it once and for all. In fact I was just checking if I could find them on steam, but no luck.
I've heard NG Black is better than Sigma which is why I'm thinking of buying an Xbox One S. I don't know of the gameplay you're describing is my style, but I still have an urge to play it.

Are you guys expecting both NES and modern designs in Smash? Which one would be the default?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I played the vanilla version of Ninja Gaiden Xbox. And yeah it's pretty freaking good. As a hack n smash it is that yang to Devil May Cry's Yin. Black is even better with new weapons, enemies, and rebalanced gameplay.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I played the vanilla version of Ninja Gaiden Xbox. And yeah it's pretty freaking good. As a hack n smash it is that yang to Devil May Cry's Yin. Black is even better with new weapons, enemies, and rebalanced gameplay.
I actually only played one level from DMC 3 and that's it. It was ok but I didn't feel like playing through it. How different is NG to DMC?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
DMC is about chaining together massive combos especially in the air.

NG is much more grounded and relies more on hit and run tactics. There's a lot more risk vs reward in this series as every attack requires a level of commitment. You can sacrifice essence for powerful Ultimate Techniques. Also Ninja Gaiden's environments makes good use of Ryu's parkour skills.

https://youtu.be/FUaAa2ft1jM

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
First time posting in this thread and I fully support Ryu Hayabusa and have since Smash 4 when all the major Japanese 3rd party publishers were getting their characters in Smash and Koei Tecmo was left in the dust with just Fatal Frame trophies. I think Hayabusa's best time for inclusion is now, be it 5th Fighters Pass character or later Ultimate DLC.
Now wether or not they should use 8 bit graphics is a different discussion.
This would be great. Everyone should know Ninja Gaiden for NES was the pioneer for cutscenes in video games. They did it for Fatal Fury/King of Fighters, why not Ninja Gaiden?
Are you guys expecting both NES and modern designs in Smash? Which one would be the default?
I am expecting both. I would massively prefer the modern design as default as I think it's cooler and think Koei Tecmo would prefer it as well as that is how they still market him, most recently in Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate, but would not be opposed to the NES design if NES legacy is the reason for getting him in Smash. Bonus points for his Dead or Alive 2 appearance just so I can have an alt where his face is revealed.

Question, Ninja Gaiden would only really be representing half of Koei Tecmo as he is a Tecmo property. I have no doubt Ryu Hayabusa would be chosen from Tecmo's properties by itself but Koei has more popular series in Japan such as Nobunaga's Ambition and Dynasty Warriors. Are we worried that Hayabusa would be competing with Koei properties for a rep since Tecmo and Koei are still very distinct? Before being real-life figures are mentioned as a reason against inclusion for Smash, other real-life figures are already represented in the game albeit unplayable such as Vlad Tepes (Dracula), Will Wright (Mr. Wright), Ryuta Kawashima (Dr. Kawashima), and most recently, Ishikawa Goemon (Goemon).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
First time posting in this thread and I fully support Ryu Hayabusa and have since Smash 4 when all the major Japanese 3rd party publishers were getting their characters in Smash and Koei Tecmo was left in the dust with just Fatal Frame trophies. I think Hayabusa's best time for inclusion is now, be it 5th Fighters Pass character or later Ultimate DLC.

This would be great. Everyone should know Ninja Gaiden for NES was the pioneer for cutscenes in video games. They did it for Fatal Fury/King of Fighters, why not Ninja Gaiden?

I am expecting both. I would massively prefer the modern design as default as I think it's cooler and think Koei Tecmo would prefer it as well as that is how they still market him, most recently in Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate, but would not be opposed to the NES design if NES legacy is the reason for getting him in Smash. Bonus points for his Dead or Alive 2 appearance just so I can have an alt where his face is revealed.

Question, Ninja Gaiden would only really be representing half of Koei Tecmo as he is a Tecmo property. I have no doubt Ryu Hayabusa would be chosen from Tecmo's properties by itself but Koei has more popular series in Japan such as Nobunaga's Ambition and Dynasty Warriors. Are we worried that Hayabusa would be competing with Koei properties for a rep since Tecmo and Koei are still very distinct? Before being real-life figures are mentioned as a reason against inclusion for Smash, other real-life figures are already represented in the game albeit unplayable such as Vlad Tepes (Dracula), Will Wright (Mr. Wright), Ryuta Kawashima (Dr. Kawashima), and most recently, Ishikawa Goemon (Goemon).
To be honest I don't think Dynasty Warriors are strong competition.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To be honest I don't think Dynasty Warriors are strong competition.
Aren’t dinasty warriors characters essentially (based on) historic real life people anyway?

Also question. What is Team Ninja’s deal in all this? I’m not that well informed. Are they still part of Tecmo-Koei? Do they have the rights to Ryu Hayabusa?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Aren’t dinasty warriors characters essentially (based on) historic real life people anyway?

Also question. What is Team Ninja’s deal in all this? I’m not that well informed. Are they still part of Tecmo-Koei? Do they have the rights to Ryu Hayabusa?
Dynasty Warriors are real people, yes. Well, exaggerated/fictionalized versions of real people. I don't think that's what kills their chances but it certainly doesn't help.

Team Ninja is a subsidiary of Tecmo-Koei. The rights to Ryu and Ninja Gaiden are owned by Tecmo-Koei.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Just wanted to drop by and give my support to Ryu. My experience with him is pretty mimnimal, but I’m hoping to change that. Mostly I played the reboot and DoA on my friends X-Box when I was a kid. I couldn’t even get past the first boss on X-Box Gaiden. Lol Planning on finally getting into the NES game on Switch online and hopefully I’ll beat it...

I still think he has a decent chance despite the setbacks. Feels pretty inevitable at this point since all the major franchises that got popularized/started on the NES are already on there. He’s got to be the next one.

D

Deleted member

If you ask me, I think it's completely possible that Ninja Gaiden and Dynasty Warriors will both be in Smash as 1 reps Tecmo while the other reps Koei. The only question I'd ask is which is coming first, but overall, I'm not worried about this possibly turning into a Banjo vs Steve situation since, aside from me, almost nobody in the speculation scene (from smashboards to reddit to even 4chan) thinks Dynasty Warriors has a chance for that to happen nor do they meme it to all hell like what 4chan did with Steve and Banjo.

Top Bottom