• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel bad for gassing up NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy a bit last night, lol. I knew something was wrong when the leaker said "Smash will be supported for two years."

Ah well. Maybe he'll still be fighter 5.

Okay guys, hear me out for a second...

Mai vs. Hayabusa, dual ninja reveal trailer.
Mai would be by far my favorite outcome for the SNK character so I'd love this.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Best we can do right now is assume it's real. That way if it isn't real we can be pleasantly surprised if Hayabusa does end up being next as Shifty stated, but won't be crushed if it does end up being an SNK character. We can still stay optimistic, just don't ASSUME this is wrong. Otherwise you might be disappointed.
Well said, this is probably the best mentality to go with right now. At the very least we won't be surprised if Hayabusa isn't the next fighter because there are other candidates right now. We only have one week to wait so it won't be that bad.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Now this... certainly doesn't put a smile on my face!

Man, I hate to be that guy, but hell the SNK characters look so ****ing boring and generic.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Man, I hate to be that guy, but hell the SNK characters look so ****ing boring and generic.
Nah you aren’t alone. People will probably **** on you for saying it but I’m in agreement SNK character just seems so underwhelming. Their roster of characters isn’t that interesting to me. I’d have said the same thing about Tecmo if they didn’t have Ryu though.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Nah you aren’t alone. People will probably **** on you for saying it but I’m in agreement SNK character just seems so underwhelming. Their roster of characters isn’t that interesting to me. I’d have said the same thing about Tecmo if they didn’t have Ryu though.
Exactly, I'm glad you agree with me, I was kind of worried to create controversy here, and yeah I too feel the same way about Tecmo lol.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd suggest waiting to see them in action first (if this is a legitimate leak) - considering that Sakurai/the Smash development team made a random Mario enemy into an interesting character, and turned characters from a one-off NES game into a beloved part of Smash (to the point where people were annoyed that they were cut from Smash 4), I'm sure that he/they could make an SNK character interesting.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'd suggest waiting to see them in action first (if this is a legitimate leak) - considering that Sakurai/the Smash development team made a random Mario enemy into an interesting character, and turned characters from a one-off NES game into a beloved part of Smash (to the point where people were annoyed that they were cut from Smash 4), I'm sure that he/they could make an SNK character interesting.
I mean, obviously they can make anyone interesting, but I find them uninteresting in other regards, primarily design. I know I’ll get flak for this because hating on anime swordsman is taboo here, but the SNK characters look like generic anime characters. At least with Hayabusa he has the ninja outfit that helps him standout with the rest of the pass/cast. But these SNK characters? We already got two “anime” characters in the pass as it is, I was hoping for some more variety.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I mean I agree, the characters don’t look all that interesting. At least not the ones that they’d go for. But I won’t lie, it would still be pretty sick having one alongside Ryu so it’s CVS all over again.
I wonder what gimmick a KoF character could bring to the table though. (Super bar is almost guaranteed)

Personally, I like how Samurai Showdown characters look in comparison.
But I’ll still be happy whoever’s in. SNK goes a long way, it deserves its place.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I dunno, Nakoruru's bird seems like it'd be pretty rad in Smash...

Last edited:

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
There’s hope for us yet. I’d be pretty thrilled if Ryu Hayabusa is indeed the next DLC character. I’m not sure how to share pictures. But somebody came out and said that “there’s a 4th DLC for an SNK game on Switch that has the same trademark and file size as this one”. So it’s entirely possible someone messed up, and that was supposed to be for the SNK game.

In that case, Smash would not be getting an SNK character. Have they actually worked closely with SNK in the past?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There’s hope for us yet. I’d be pretty thrilled if Ryu Hayabusa is indeed the next DLC character. I’m not sure how to share pictures. But somebody came out and said that “there’s a 4th DLC for an SNK game on Switch that has the same trademark and file size as this one”. So it’s entirely possible someone messed up, and that was supposed to be for the SNK game.

In that case, Smash would not be getting an SNK character. Have they actually worked closely with SNK in the past?
I don't know about it being the fourth DLC, but it is the case that an SNK game has the same file size and copyright info.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/SNK-Heroines-New-Character-MissX-1475673.html

I'm not sure how closely SNK has worked with Nintendo, but Neo Geo games have been put onto Nintendo consoles since the Wii's Virtual Console, at least, and they're easily one of the biggest publishers of retro games on the Switch, given the sheer number of Arcade Archives releases that they've had.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm gonna be frank, I love KoF and I can understand people thinking their characters look kinda generic, so all I can do is say that I believe gameplay wise it would be more interesting than it appears.

Still I don't think it's anywhere near a done deal due to all the uncertainties.

View attachment 236380I found this on papa geno's discord I say there's still hope
Seems like an easy piggyback tbh.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm gonna be frank, I love KoF and I can understand people thinking their characters look kinda generic, so all I can do is say that I believe gameplay wise it would be more interesting than it appears.

Still I don't think it's anywhere near a done deal due to all the uncertainties.

Seems like an easy piggyback tbh.
I’m the claim was ryu is pack 4 it’s impossible with SNK

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well guys, we were on top of the world yesterday with the supposed Hayabusa leak, and here we are today.
I was pulling for Doomabusa, but now I have to make room for Nakoruru.
It's been fun supporting my favorite hack 'n slash ninja with you guys, but with only one spot remaining on this Fighter's Pass, I must hold out for my boys Crash Bandicoot and Doom Slayer.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Wait a sec, look at the release date. That was when Sakurai said the fighters pass would end. SNK char seems to be the fifth char, if anything.
Also could have been mixed up with SNK heroines.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Wait, whaf? Was a SNK char confirmed?
Not really, but the page for the 4th character had the SNK trademark (which some have pointed out could be a mistake). It's now taken down.

Everybody and their mamas is now backing SNK. Massive piggybacking or the obvious signs of the inevitable? We'll know soon.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Man that's too bad.

I mean, yeah I kind of like a few SNK titles. I once took KoF seriously since more friends played it over SF... but I much MUCH preferred Ryu Hayabusa.

Now I'm sad that either Ryu H. or Doomguy got the boot. (Or heck, maybe both?).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I can hope for Doomabusa, but all the evidence is pointing to Nakoruru.
Sabi's bird.
Flying weapon leak.
The SNK Nintendo leak just tied it all together.

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
Somebody claimed Vergeben said the SNK leak was fake, but then Vergeben came out and said he was asleep through all the SNK leaks and that it was annoying people were throwing his name around.

He just said, “I don’t want to say anything sooner than I should without a strong confirmation... but I have heard a name.”

Not sure if this means the name was SNK related or not. But I guess we’ll see.

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
So this certainly might be old news, but did anyone see this tweet from Koie Tecmo Europe back in January??

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/1080454689416769537?s=21

Basically, they said that there were surprises in store during 2019 and have an image of a Ryu Hayabusa statue. Could that mean it was a subtle hint towards his inclusion in Smash? Perhaps. Remember that Hero’s shield was leaked by a Nintendo employee on twitter prior to his release too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Okay guys, hear me out for a second...

Mai vs. Hayabusa, dual ninja reveal trailer.
More like duel to the death to decide who get's into Smash.

the real hope is that the snk may have ben a mistake and its for another game
Sabi said that her very credible sources say that the SNK copyright on the site is 99% percent legit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Well, IAmShifty has finally responded. He says he's still confident about Ryu Hayabusa being part of the fighters pass.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Remember that Hero’s shield was leaked by a Nintendo employee on twitter prior to his release too.
Unless we're thinking of completely different instances, this isn't what happened.

For those unaware, Shinya Kumazaki, the director of the Kirby series, posted a picture of the shield on his Instagram, captioned "the brave's shield" but it wasn't intended as a tease at all. Western Smash fans, being selfish idiots with no chill or self awareness used his comments section as a dumping ground for their hot takes on the brave leak, whether or not the post was a hint, and Geno (because of course they did). He eventually edited the post, and his bio, to include a disclaimer about how he isn't uploading hints or anything from work. In English, naturally. All he was trying to do was share something he liked, and the way people jumped on it assuming it was Smash-related was frankly embarrassing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, IAmShifty has finally responded. He says he's still confident about Ryu Hayabusa being part of the fighters pass.

So his sources didn't even know about the SNK stuff but still think Hayabusa is in the Fighter Pass? Unless a double reveal happens tomorrow (which is super unlikely considering leakers haven't said anything about that happening), I find it hard to believe he'll be the last DLC character in Ultimate after Terry. I'll still be rooting for a Koei-Tecmo rep though. No matter who it is, that company has done a great amount of stuff with Nintendo, and to see them with only an AT rep is pretty damn rough.

Last edited by a moderator:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
D

Deleted member

Ryu Hayabusa has been confirmed for Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate.
Ryu Hayabusa was my most played character in WO3 and WO3U, so I can't really complain about him being in this game if I decide to pick this game up in February and start playing him a lot again. It does make me wonder if Achilles will return as well since I also played that dude a lot in WO3.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
You know what's one thing I'd love to see if Ryu gets in? If they added a white and red outfit with gold accents.

Pictured: Joe Musashi from SEGA's Shinobi games. If Incineroar can get a Big the Cat alt, I think it's possible.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh one reminder

If the SNK character is terry and the trailer takes place on the ring we’re golden

But still doubt it since ryu doesn’t really fight eastern monsters in his games the only Eastern monsters he fights is demons and the other factor is humans

D

Deleted member

You know what's one thing I'd love to see if Ryu gets in? If they added a white and red outfit with gold accents.

Pictured: Joe Musashi from SEGA's Shinobi games. If Incineroar can get a Big the Cat alt, I think it's possible.
Hayabusa does have a red version of his default costume in Ninja Gaiden 2.

1567537535106.png

It's not exactly like Shinobi but certainly similar to it. If he's in Smash, we might be able to see this as 1 of his alts.

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
This shifty person is putting his neck on the line by doubling down. He probably could have made up some excuse and walked it back or even said that it was about Warriors Orochi 4 (which he said on Twitter after that trailer went up wasn't what his sources are saying as they are connected to Nintendo). Instead he's going to endure likely a few months of flaming from rabid smash fans on his small channel and a seeming loss of credibility. I wouldn't do that to myself unless I was pretty dang sure Ryu was happening.

Top Bottom