• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Since Hero is an Akira Toriyama character, and Ryu Hayabusa is a ninja, what if Sakurai intentionally choose these fighters as a sort of Goku vs. Naruto homage in Smash?

But on a serious note, I think Hayabusa is in.
Before E3, I was 90% confident in Vergeben's Erdrick leak, and it came to be true.
I am equally confident in Google Theory, which predicted Banjo, Doom Slayer, and Ryu Hayabusa. Had anyone thought to test "Hero" instead of Erdrick or Luminary, and it brought up the Fighter's Pass, I would be 100% confident in the leak.
If Doom Slayer is our next Fighter's Pass character, then I would bet money on Hayabusa, or vise versa.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Since Hero is an Akira Toriyama character, and Ryu Hayabusa is a ninja, what if Sakurai intentionally choose these fighters as a sort of Goku vs. Naruto homage in Smash?
That would be cool, and speaking of Goku, my reaction to Goku's (who is already deconfirmed) chances of being playable now is very likely to be an assist trophy in Smash 6.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
That would be cool, and speaking of Goku, my reaction to Goku's (who is already deconfirmed) chances of being playable now is very likely to be an assist trophy in Smash 6.
Extremely doubtful. The best chance Goku had of ANYTHING Smash related was possibly a costume reference with Hero's release, since they are both created by Akira Toriyama, but even that was far fetched, and it's gone now.
Smash Bros. is only for video game characters, and Goku is a manga character. Even Sora is on shaky ground due to being owned by Disney, but Goku is completely out of the picture as it stands.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Here's a quote from another thread.
ONE character on the pass isn't what you wanted. You even said you really liked Banjo and Hero getting in. you are 2-1 right now in terms of DLC characters.
So far we've got Joker/Ren Hero Banjo, only 2 more DLC fighters to go. My current ratio of wanted to unwanted playable characters in the first fighter's pass is 2-1.

So I've aforementioned that the Yuri assist trophy could mean that Ryu Hayabusa is going to be playable, and I would be happy if it was. And if that's true, it would result in my ratio going up to 3-1. What are the chances of me getting another wanted or unwanted character?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, going by my original wishlist I made from before the EVERYONE IS HERE reveal, Ultimate has been very good to me so far.

It almost feels greedy to want more.

...but I want more.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not trying to raise supporters hopes for nothing but your favorite ninja might just be the next fighter in the pass!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdYhLFiJIsY
He says Isabelle was the next character and Marx was a boss. He did say Spirits was subspace and was wrong there though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Wq3uuPDyg
He says Piranha Plant in this video. (This was after the NOAtesty leak though.)

Worth keeping an eye out on.

D

Deleted member

Not trying to raise supporters hopes for nothing but your favorite ninja might just be the next fighter in the pass!

He says Isabelle was the next character and Marx was a boss. He did say Spirits was subspace and was wrong there though.

You forgot to post the video:

My inner Hayabusa Hype gives me hope this turns out real since he has at least some credibility, yet I should still be weary about it turning out false since he stated he hasn't made a leak video past Piranha Plant. Pls Nintendo I really need to Izuna Drop everyone in Smash.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I've always been on the Hayabusa train, and I actually think that's the character Sabi's starling picture is referring to.

I have found a few instances of the Peregrine Falcon being translated as "Hayabusa" in Japanese.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2007/01/10/environment/peregrine-falcon/#.XWnzpChKiUk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayabusa

Sabi's source who posted the starling image has mentioned that the type of bird they chose was important.

What other bird are starlings commonly hunted by? Peregrine Falcons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w90X92pDSs
https://www.cms.int/en/news/falcons-drafted-scare-defecating-starlings-rome

Starlings are hunted by Peregrine Falcons, which, in Japanese, is translated as "Hayabusa". The most notorious enemy commonly associated with the classic Ninja Gaiden games is, of course, the birds.

...or maybe I'm thinking too hard about it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Would be great if that leak came to pass, I always felt like Hayabusa had a great shot so here's hoping.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

I'm convinced. I've always believed Google Theory despite most people dismissing it. This leaker seems credible given his past. And if he's correct, the Doom Slayer is all but confirmed for Number 5.

StormC

Smash Hero
I've been predicting Hayabusa as fighter 4 for weeks, will be something if it comes to pass.

D

Deleted member

Y'all wanting an all-male roster in the Fighters Pass anyway...

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Earlier this year I would've considered Hayabusa a "meh" addition, but now I'm very much different :D
I just need the Ninja Gaiden soundtrack remixed because in 8-bit it sounds AMAZING, and hearing remixes in Smash is one of my favorite things.
Not to mention Hayabusa's moveset would be top notch :)

EDIT ; BTW anyone has any idea what stage they would choose for Ryu Hayabusa?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Earlier this year I would've considered Hayabusa a "meh" addition, but now I'm very much different :D
I just need the Ninja Gaiden soundtrack remixed because in 8-bit it sounds AMAZING, and hearing remixes in Smash is one of my favorite things.
Not to mention Hayabusa's moveset would be top notch :)

I was gonna say Sky City Tokyo like Dead Or Alive but it feels a bit too visually similar to Suzaku Castle.

D

Deleted member

I'm certain it'll probably be Sky City Tokyo since it's been a part of DoA 5 and Warriors Orochi 3, but **** I would love it if they instead choose the Ninja Gaiden 2 staircase for his stage.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Well, this took a turn didn't it. I AM sad at the idea of a potentially all male fighter pass but I always thought that Hayabusa was among the best classic characters to potentially make the cut anyway. A proper ninja would be a welcome addition, and I picture his likely playstyle making him a top tier contender. I can see him stacking up favorably like his predecessor :ultgreninja: does (sorry Sheik).

I'm gonna triple down on Sky City Tokyo. Suzaku Castle has a distinctly Japanese feel yes, but SCT has a uniquely futuristic aesthetic in addition to that. We don't really have a Blade Runner-esque stage yet (New Pork City might TECHNICALLY qualify I GUESS, but it's only a model). Also, the lighting is so good...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I hope when Hayabusa gets announced that we get the modern Ninja Gaiden trilogy for Switch.
And while we're at it, might as well double down on the hype and make September's NES Online games Ninja Gaiden 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hayabusa isn't anywhere near the top of my list of wanted characters, but he is a NES icon that would be amazing to see in Smash. I would prefer Hayabusa over most other highly predicted picks like a Resident Evil Rep, Crash, and Doom Slayer.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I hope when Hayabusa gets announced that we get the modern Ninja Gaiden trilogy for Switch.
And while we're at it, might as well double down on the hype and make September's NES Online games Ninja Gaiden 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3.
I would really love that. My old Xbox died so I can't play Ninja Gaiden Black, and the PS3 port is sadly inferior to the Xbox version. A trilogy with a definitive edition that adds the best of both worlds is something that I dreamed of for a long time.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I'm convinced. I've always believed Google Theory despite most people dismissing it. This leaker seems credible given his past. And if he's correct, the Doom Slayer is all but confirmed for Number 5.
BRAD is back!

Banjo-Kazooie
Ryu Hayabusa
Arusu (Erdrick's Default Japanese Name)
Doomslayer

Hype!

zferolie

Smash Hero
So is this guy that legit? I mean, i feel ryu is the last 3rd party NES classic era character needing to get in(Ninja gaiden is a classic) and wouldnt mind him getting in. Hopefully though he would be more different from our current 2 ninjas in the game(Shiek and Grenjinja) maybe more throws? Have some of his ninja magic from the later games?

I would be sad though if this is an all male dlc list though. There are a ton of very good female video game characters that deserve to get in. Doomslayer people have been saying but i still think he is.... just a bit too violent. It would be hard to bring him into smash without his tradmark violence.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well in terms of 3rd party NES stars Ryu is one of the biggest not yet in Smash but I wouldn't say he's the last one.

There's all the beat em up protagonists (Final Fight, Double Dragon, River City/Kino-kun), Arthur from Ghost, Goblins & Ghouls and Bub and Bob from Bubble Bobble.

I do hope they incorporate more of his game play because Sheik covers the generic ninja tropes as is.

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
I would be absolutely thrilled if Ryu Hayabusa is the next DLC character, and I’m hopeful he’ll be in. His inclusion makes sense, even putting the recent (semi-credible) leak aside.

At first, I figured he’d just be a generic ninja like Sheik/Greninja. But he brings a lot of new stuff to the table. Even with 70+ characters in the game... not a single character uses a katana. As a practicing sword art martial artist, I’d be thrilled to see an eastern sword style in the game.

On top of that, his new games have a lot of new moves to draw from. He uses a kusarigama, a scythe, and has a host of diverse magic attacks too. Please have Hayabusa be the next DLC character!!

Graizen

Smash Champion
So , same question i did at the Doomguy thread:

You guys think Ryu will have two costumes? Classic and Modern?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So after Hayabusa, which NES era character would you guys like to see next?
Well, technically want to see Arthur and Bill Rizer the most. Because I want to see more NES and SNES Classic games checked off the list.

But to be perfectly honest, I think I'd enjoy seeing Kunio the most. He's got a moveset that's ready-made for Smash. And I actually enjoy RCR games more than Contra and GnG.

I do hope they incorporate more of his game play because Sheik covers the generic ninja tropes as is.
But Sheik doesn't have...THE IZUNA DROP!

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Here to show support for Ryu Hayabusa.

I feel like it’s a fitting choice for Smash, the NES games are classics and seeing him standing next to other NES icons like Simon Belmont and Megaman feels natural to me

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
With the recent leaks, I'm very glad people have begun to come around and support Hayabusa. I've always thought he'd be a super cool pick:
Pretty off topic, but I'd absolutely adore seeing Ryu Hayabusa in Smash. He has a long history with Nintendo, Tecmo (now Koei-Tecmo) and Nintendo have been pretty buddy-buddy as of late with the Hyrule / Fire Emblem Warriors games, he's a pretty iconic figure due to his NES games, and that music, good lord. I'd love to have Unbreakable Determination in the game.
and I'm very happy to see a lot of others think the same. Whether it be his iconic NES appearances or his modern games such as the absolutely fantastic Ninja Gaiden Black, I've always thought that since Simon, Hayabusa would really be one of the last true iconic NES characters remaining. Plus, Koei Tecmo and Nintendo have been super friendly lately, collaborating on a number of recent games such as Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Hope the recent leaks are real, so we can Izuna Drop some people here soon!

Top Bottom