• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Someone in the Banjo thread said Team Ninja confirmed that they have no involvement in regards to Smash Ultimate's DLC.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt considering there's no sources to back up this claim, but if anyone has any, please share them.

I didn't want to bring this up on the Banjo thread itself cause that topic is more for this thread than it is the other.
Truth be told, there are so many baseless claims and fake leaks that have been thrown around that I really can't take anyone's word anymore. If they have info something is happening, show some hard evidence or else it's just people spouting off rumors as usual. Needless to say, there's nothing to back up these claims so there's no reason to believe it.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Someone in the Banjo thread said Team Ninja confirmed that they have no involvement in regards to Smash Ultimate's DLC.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt considering there's no sources to back up this claim, but if anyone has any, please share them.

I didn't want to bring this up on the Banjo thread itself cause that topic is more for this thread than it is the other.
So I found out a little more what was said.

The producer of DoA6, Shimbori was asked in an French interview here.

https://www.actugaming.net/dead-or-alive-6-interview-yohei-shimbori-producteur-184969/

The only references to Smash found were that Shimbori was inspired by competitive Smash to make a more serious DoA game. And when asked about characters he said that he himself never talked to Sakurai about it but he would like to see Kasumi join the battle. Hayabusa was never mentioned.

Keep in mind I used Google translate to read this article so discretion is advised.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

https://www.actugaming.net/dead-or-alive-6-interview-yohei-shimbori-producteur-184969/

The only references to Smash found were that Shimbori was inspired by competitive Smash to make a more serious DoA game. And when asked about characters he said that he himself never talked to Sakurai about it but he would like to see Kasumi join the battle. Hayabusa was never mentioned.

Keep in mind I used Google translate to read this article so discretion is advised.
Oh yeah I remember that interview. I also remember it was blown out of proportion before it turned out it had nothing to do with Ryu or Ninja Gaiden.

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Heck yeah! This sounds awesome! Personally, I’ve only ever played the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES, But, it was a very solid game (For the time) And the more recent entry’s look well worth playing! But most of all, he would be awesome because he would be so DIFFERENT, Smash has always been lacking in unique weapon based fighters, and although he would most likely have a sword, he would probably have others weapons to accompany it! And his sword would most likely work much differently than everyone else’s! I very much so approve of this!

D

Deleted member

Guess there won't be any DoA characters in Smash, but that still shouldn't rule out Hayabusa as a possible DLC character since Shimbori only works on Dead or Alive and not Ninja Gaiden for all I know.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Guess there won't be any DoA characters in Smash, but that still shouldn't rule out Hayabusa as a possible DLC character since Shimbori only works on Dead or Alive and not Ninja Gaiden for all I know.
For now it seems.

Though Yosuke Hayashi would have more of a say in the matter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

jamesster445

Smash Lord
not Nintendo related but...

I don't own an Xbox, but this is exciting to hear and will definitely be the first game I'll get if I buy an Xbox.
Ninja Gaiden 2 on the Xbox is my favorite Character Action game of all time. I highly recommend people check this and Black if given the opportunity.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Not only do we need Ryu Hayabusa, but I think we also need Joe Musashi (Shinobi) for Smash, with new remixes of Revenge of Shinobi music (The Shinobi, Terrible Beat, Chinatown, etc.) by Yuzo Koshiro!

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Not only do we need Ryu Hayabusa, but I think we also need Joe Musashi (Shinobi) for Smash, with new remixes of Revenge of Shinobi music (The Shinobi, Terrible Beat, Chinatown, etc.) by Yuzo Koshiro!
Might as well add Strider to the list and get the Trinity of classic videogame ninjas (at least the ones that aren't Turtles).

D

Deleted member

Good lord with Revenge Of Shinobi and its bosses.

I always smile when I remember these.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Hey I'd like to join in too. I have always been into retro videogames (specially Nintendo ones) and when it comes to NES 3rd party reps, I say that Ryu Hayabusa and Bill Rizer from Contra are definitely the only relevant guys left to be in Smash Brothers.

While I’m not really a big fan of the more modern Ninja Gaiden games, the first ones were really memorable and fun (even tho, they were constantly feeling me with extreme rage).

I remember getting so happy when I saw Simon Belmont joining the roster, and not to mention how amazed I was at his reveal trailer.

Since then I thought Ryu could have a really kickass reveal trailer too. I even made my own concept of how I personally think it should be like and who should be in it (sorry for being unfinished):

17C27075-969D-4051-9F8B-5B5EC1AA1355.jpeg

It’s just a shame that DLC characters don’t get those kind of fancy reveal trailers, but oh well, I guess having the character joining the roster will be more than good enough.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey I'd like to join in too. I have always been into retro videogames (specially Nintendo ones) and when it comes to NES 3rd party reps, I say that Ryu Hayabusa and Bill Rizer from Contra are definitely the only relevant guys left to be in Smash Brothers.

While I’m not really a big fan of the more modern Ninja Gaiden games, the first ones were really memorable and fun (even tho, they were constantly feeling me with extreme rage).

I remember getting so happy when I saw Simon Belmont joining the roster, and not to mention how amazed I was at his reveal trailer.

Since then I thought Ryu could have a really kickass reveal trailer too. I even made my own concept of how I personally think it should be like and who should be in it (sorry for being unfinished):

View attachment 213854

It’s just a shame that DLC characters don’t get those kind of fancy reveal trailers, but oh well, I guess having the character joining the roster will be more than good enough.
Well this is just excellent!

And I’ve been picking up those two to try and somewhat satiate my needs for Ryu H.

D

Deleted member

And with that, the modern NG trilogy is now backwards compatible on Xbox One. This doesn't really heighten Hayabusa's chances of being in the Fighter Pass, but it doesn't weaken them as well. If anything, it helps people get more familiar with the series, and maybe this could also be a sign that we might get Ninja Gaiden 4 at some point (though it will be awhile until that happens considering Team Ninja's working on a couple of games currently).

and now we wait for Yaiba to go BC oh boy

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
So do any of you think that the recent Google leak is plausible?

Cuz it rumours that Ryu Hayabusa will take a spot in the Fighters Pass, so that's already a plus.
But what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Cuz it rumours that Ryu Hayabusa will take a spot in the Fighters Pass, so that's already a plus.
I’m conflicted with this one. On one hand, I think Ryu Hayabusa would be just as great a candidate for Smash Bros as the next person on this thread, but on the other hand, why would Nintendo of Europe send data of those characters in such a way that Fighter Pass ads pop up when you try to search for them? I feel like this doesn’t add up for some odd reason. Forget a grain of salt, we need all the Bonneville Salt Flats for this rumor.

D

Deleted member

This supposed leak theory is going to get debunked when Brave's revealed.

I still think that Hayabusa has a higher chance being in the Fighter Pass than most, but it would be amazing if he happens to be revealed at E3 when everyone's expecting a Microsoft rep (Koei-Tecmo about to be on a roll with randomly unexpected reveals since P5 S).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I’m conflicted with this one. On one hand, I think Ryu Hayabusa would be just as great a candidate for Smash Bros as the next person on this thread, but on the other hand, why would Nintendo of Europe send data of those characters in such a way that Fighter Pass ads pop up when you try to search for them? I feel like this doesn’t add up for some odd reason. Forget a grain of salt, we need all the Bonneville Salt Flats for this rumor.

This supposed leak theory is going to get debunked when Brave's revealed.

I still think that Hayabusa has a higher chance being in the Fighter Pass than most, but it would be amazing if he happens to be revealed at E3 when everyone's expecting a Microsoft rep (Koei-Tecmo about to be on a roll with randomly unexpected reveals since P5 S).
Fair enough.

And yeah I still have hope too.
Koei Tecmo being a company with a lot of ties with Nintendo all over the years, still doesn't have a (playable) rep. And thankfully Ryu Hayabusa really does seem like the best bet for that role.

Gotta say, it's interesting and kind of weird seeing Ryu being leaked so frequently lately given how very rare it was to see him being mentioned and supported for Smash Brothers.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord

I generally don't believe leaks when they give me something I want. In fact it was only today that I heard Ryu was with the Google leak. I think Pushdustin showed how you can create this leak. So there's that.

That said the fact that we're getting 4 dark M rated characters than Banjo is kinda hilarious.

https://twitter.com/SchAlternate/status/1127729691656429570?s=19

Nothgard

Smash Cadet

He talk about DOA, Ninja gaiden is another thing. He don't have control about hayabusa license.

With banjo and DQ heroes in smash, I think we have a few characters that have a chance. I personal think the next character aren't capcom, square, sega, konami. Because all of these third party have a 2 or 3 characters, but bandai just have 1 and they work in the game and dlc... , so the 4 or 5 character is for bandai. Also, in smash we have a some company that dont have a playable character but have a few spirits and his icon character aren't spirit. Yes, koei tecmo. Weird, right?

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Right now; Hayabusa is one of my most wanted characters to be added to Smash Ultimate.

(Admittedly, I'd prefer the modern/reboot version of Hayabusa.)

:):chuckle:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Now that I got my Erdrick, I can refocus my attention on Hayabusa and Kunio.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's very early to call, but how do you guys think Hayabusa's reveal trailer will play out?

I could see it being a complete rundown of all the fighters from the NES era from Pac-Man to Simon, which then fades to black and slowly reveals Ryu Hayabusa as the next/last NES Fighter to be in Smash. It probably sounds lame in text but I honestly would love the buildup of showing 1 of the last remaining NES legends finally making his way in.

There's also this other scenario in my head where someone's fighting either Ganondorf, Dark Samus, or Dracula but start struggling until Hayabusa comes for the save with a flying swallow. However, Hero pretty much did that in their trailer, so I don't necessarily see that happening again.

D

Deleted member

I've said this before, but I want his reveal trailer to be a recreation of the intro of the NES game, but with him and Greninja.
That'd be cool. It's a strong callback to the very first Ninja Gaiden game and would be great to see this scene recreated for Smash. However, I think the main thing I have against it is the surprise factor immediately being given out once you see both him and Greninja at the very beginning. Perhaps a few ways around this would be putting a silhouette over Hayabusa, having him offscreen until they clash, or replacing him with Sheik but have Ryu sweep in as soon as they clash knocking them off screen.

I also realize they could make a CG of this scene where Hayabusa's looking at a stage from Smash. Idk where they'd place it in the trailer, but it would be a fun callback too.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That'd be cool. It's a strong callback to the very first Ninja Gaiden game and would be great to see this scene recreated for Smash. However, I think the main thing I have against it is the surprise factor immediately being given out once you see both him and Greninja at the very beginning. Perhaps a few ways around this would be putting a silhouette over Hayabusa, having him offscreen until they clash, or replacing him with Sheik but have Ryu sweep in as soon as they clash knocking them off screen.
I was thinking similarly, where they're both just shadows until they drop down at the end. Greninja is still obviously Greninja because of his unique shape, but Ryu's silhouette is more generic.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
He talk about DOA, Ninja gaiden is another thing. He don't have control about hayabusa license.

With banjo and DQ heroes in smash, I think we have a few characters that have a chance. I personal think the next character aren't capcom, square, sega, konami. Because all of these third party have a 2 or 3 characters, but bandai just have 1 and they work in the game and dlc... , so the 4 or 5 character is for bandai. Also, in smash we have a some company that dont have a playable character but have a few spirits and his icon character aren't spirit. Yes, koei tecmo. Weird, right?
That's generally has been the logic now. TK is the last major Japanese publisher to not have a character in Smash yet.

Right now; Hayabusa is one of my most wanted characters to be added to Smash Ultimate.

(Admittedly, I'd prefer the modern/reboot version of Hayabusa.)

:):chuckle:
Me too. I feel like people get a little too hung up on the NES era games that they kinda forgot that he still exists. And had a complete trilogy of action games.

It's very early to call, but how do you guys think Hayabusa's reveal trailer will play out?

I could see it being a complete rundown of all the fighters from the NES era from Pac-Man to Simon, which then fades to black and slowly reveals Ryu Hayabusa as the next/last NES Fighter to be in Smash. It probably sounds lame in text but I honestly would love the buildup of showing 1 of the last remaining NES legends finally making his way in.

There's also this other scenario in my head where someone's fighting either Ganondorf, Dark Samus, or Dracula but start struggling until Hayabusa comes for the save with a flying swallow. However, Hero pretty much did that in their trailer, so I don't necessarily see that happening again.
I've said this before, but I want his reveal trailer to be a recreation of the intro of the NES game, but with him and Greninja.
Mine is more or less the same. Just replacing Greninja with Shiek.

It begins with Shiek doing Shiekah things then suddenly being ambushed by shurikens. She can't see her attacker who due to lighting which keeps him hidden in shadows. Shiek and the mystery man charge towards each other jump and their swords clash. Shiek falls, the mysterious man falls into the light revealing himself as Ryu Hayabusa. Gameplay starts showcasing his moves, his alternate costumes and a quick little gag where Hayabusa faces off against Ryu.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would honestly replace Greninja with Sheik. Or at least feature both of them, since Sheik isn't in any of the cinematic trailers.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I think it would be in 2D anime style, reminiscent of the cutscenes from the NES games. The opening fight seems like a good idea to reference, it's pretty iconic and distinctive and the moon helps keep him in shadow until the reveal.

D

Deleted member

>Nes Characters Simon, Pit and Mega Man are chilling in Dr Light's Lab.
>They sense someone sneaking by
>They look from the window and see the sillouhette of a Ninja.
>We see the obscured Sillouhette of said Ninja.
>Magical sparks start appearing and reveal it's just Zelda disguised as a Ninja (get it?)
>Simon, MM and Pit are in Shock and jawdrop.
>Zelda proceeds to laugh in the most smug moe way possible.
>The REAL Ryu hayabusa appears behind her and cuts her hair, she proceeds to run away.
>RYU HAYABUSA BRINGS THE EDGE.
>Simon jawdrops bigtime, Pit screams loudly and Mega Man gets blue screen'd.

Obviously this is me just making fun of K.Rool and Banjo's trailer, but it came into my mind. However the most logical and realistic trailer would be based on the NES game's intro, maybe Ryu will appear in it for the sake of a joke (like Roy's trailer)

Onto a more serious idea, i have this theory that Shiek and Greninja are just Sakurai toying with the idea of Ninja Character and are leading up to Ryu Hayabusa, kinda like how Smash 4 Zero Suit Samus is proto-Bayo and Duck Hunt is proto-Banjo & Kazooie. Sounds crazy, but i have seen a lot of character ideas that envoke other characters (Yoshi's side special in Melee reminds me of Sonic who got in Brawl, Shiek's Pre-Smash 4 side special was like Simon's SCIV whip, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
>Nes Characters Simon, Pit and Mega Man are chilling in Dr Light's Lab.
>They sense someone sneaking by
>They look from the window and see the sillouhette of a Ninja.
>We see the obscured Sillouhette of said Ninja.
>Magical sparks start appearing and reveal it's just Zelda disguised as a Ninja (get it?)
>Simon, MM and Pit are in Shock and jawdrop.
>Zelda proceeds to laugh in the most smug moe way possible.
>The REAL Ryu hayabusa appears behind her and cuts her hair, she proceeds to run away.
>RYU HAYABUSA BRINGS THE EDGE.
>Simon jawdrops bigtime, Pit screams loudly and Mega Man gets blue screen'd.

Obviously this is me just making fun of K.Rool and Banjo's trailer, but it came into my mind. However the most logical and realistic trailer would be based on the NES game's intro, maybe Ryu will appear in it for the sake of a joke (like Roy's trailer)

Onto a more serious idea, i have this theory that Shiek and Greninja are just Sakurai toying with the idea of Ninja Character and are leading up to Ryu Hayabusa, kinda like how Smash 4 Zero Suit Samus is proto-Bayo and Duck Hunt is proto-Banjo & Kazooie. Sounds crazy, but i have seen a lot of character ideas that envoke other characters (Yoshi's side special in Melee reminds me of Sonic who got in Brawl, Shiek's Pre-Smash 4 side special was like Simon's SCIV whip, etc)
You forgot the heroes v villain montage.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
I definitely support this thread since Ryu Hayabusa is one of my favorite classic NES characters.

It begins with Shiek doing Shiekah things then suddenly being ambushed by shurikens. She can't see her attacker who due to lighting which keeps him hidden in shadows. Shiek and the mystery man charge towards each other jump and their swords clash. Shiek falls, the mysterious man falls into the light revealing himself as Ryu Hayabusa. Gameplay starts showcasing his moves, his alternate costumes and a quick little gag where Hayabusa faces off against Ryu.
I like this idea because it almost reminds me of the opening scene of Ninja Gaiden NES where Ryu’s father Ken was killed in a duel by an unknown attacker. It gives tribute to the original NES game, and especially the gag between Hayabusa and Ryu since both of their names begin with Ryu.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Not sure if this was already asked here, but oh well, if Ryu Hayabusa (hopefully) happens to be one of the last two remaining DLC slots, than what stage would you like to come with him, and what kind of stage hazards should it have??

I’d personally want the criminal streets from the first level of the original Ninja Gaiden game on the NES. Maybe the stage hazards could be a couple of falcons or bats passing by (just not sure if they wouldn’t be a little out of place tho).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not sure if this was already asked here, but oh well, if Ryu Hayabusa (hopefully) happens to be one of the last two remaining DLC slots, than what stage would you like to come with him, and what kind of stage hazards should it have??

I’d personally want the criminal streets from the first level of the original Ninja Gaiden game on the NES. Maybe the stage hazards could be a couple of falcons or bats passing by (just not sure if they wouldn’t be a little out of place tho).
I think the mountain stage from the first game, with respawning enemies as stage hazards, would be a fun callback.

I think we might get a modern stage though.

D

Deleted member

I do hope they incorporate his Wall Climb into his moveset, that would be dope.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Personally, I'd want Hayabusa Village from Ninja Gaiden 1/Black.

Then again; that is from the modern version. So, who knows.

Top Bottom