• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
There's no way the NG rep would be anything other than the main character of the franchise.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well well, so not only is Tecmo Koei is developing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, but also helping development with FE Three Houses. Interesting...
Tecmo Koei has a crazy close relationship with Nintendo.

They have worked with more Nintendo IPs then any other third party I can think of:

Pokemon (Pokemon Conquest)
Zelda (Hyrule Warriors)
Fire Emblem (Fire Emblem Heroes)
Metriod (Metroid: Other M)

Plus they co-own Fatal Frame with Nintendo.

They will EVENTUALLY get a rep in Smash, no doubt. The only question is if it's for this round of DLC or not.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So hang on, lemme ask here: after research into Koei Tecmo properties, would Ryu Hayabusa represent both Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden? Or would he represent just Ninja Gaiden?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So hang on, lemme ask here: after research into Koei Tecmo properties, would Ryu Hayabusa represent both Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden? Or would he represent just Ninja Gaiden?
He'd definitely be labeled as a Ninja Gaiden rep, and the bulk of the moveset would be based on those two trilogies, but I would be surprised if he didn't come with DoA Spirits, songs, and maybe a few moves from there.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
DoA is(sort of) a spinoff of Ninja Gaiden due to the cast of both games crossing over several times before and it all happening in the same world.

He'd most likely just rep NG though, while borrowing some of his DoA moves. think of it like how Mario, DKC and WarioWare take place in the same world.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah, I would imagine most of his move set would revolve around the classic games, with only a few things referencing the modern game (izuna drop!) and very few things referencing DoA specifically (although if he received an Assist Trophy it would likely be one of the DoA girls that also occasionally appears in Ninja Gaiden. Kasumi, maybe.)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Dead or Alive is chronologically a sequel franchise to the OG Ninja Gaiden Trilogy I believe. While the modern Trilogy is meant to be a Prequel to the OG Trilogy. Or something like that. I've always found that interesting.

It also doesn't make a damn lick of sense since Ayane appears in Ninja Gaiden 2004 but who cares really.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I wouldn't completely count out Battletoads or a Contra protagonist, but they're admittedly really unlikely. Probably bests as assists.
I think Bill and Lance (from Contra) should be playable characters.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm really digging what they did to Hayabusa's costume in Dead or Alive. The armored up look has always been a favorite of mine.

Also, I noticed something random recently. I used to always refer to Ryu Hayabusa as Ryu. Forever. Then Ryu got revealed for Smash Bros. And I immediately shifted my language to calling him Hayabusa. Kinda odd how Smash influenced me in that way but it's a cool bit of trivia.

D

Deleted member

I'm really digging what they did to Hayabusa's costume in Dead or Alive. The armored up look has always been a favorite of mine.

Also, I noticed something random recently. I used to always refer to Ryu Hayabusa as Ryu. Forever. Then Ryu got revealed for Smash Bros. And I immediately shifted my language to calling him Hayabusa. Kinda odd how Smash influenced me in that way but it's a cool bit of trivia.
Speaking of which, I do wondered that during the time of the datamine of Roy and Ryu (even before the whole leak from June of 2015) I wondered if people debated on which Ryu Smash is going to add, either Ryu from “Street Fighter” or Ryu from “Ninja Gaiden”

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Speaking of which, I do wondered that during the time of the datamine of Roy and Ryu (even before the whole leak from June of 2015) I wondered if people debated on which Ryu Smash is going to add, either Ryu from “Street Fighter” or Ryu from “Ninja Gaiden”
I think the name Ryu automatically brings up SF Ryu for most people. Whereas Ryu H., or Hayabusa, bring up our guy.

D

Deleted member

If Ryu Hayabusa gets in, I will buy a R.O.B. amiibo alongside the DLC of the ninja itself, train it, and play many matches of R.O.B. vs An AVGN Mii and Ryu.

The first match I pick Ryu, the next one the AVGN and so on.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That probably would've been a debate if the Street Fighter Victory theme didn't get leaked right alongside him. I even asked that at one point and everyone was like that'd be cool, but it's Street Fighter Ryu because of the Victory Music.

D

Deleted member

Something came up in my head and I wondered if all the fighters pass are just 3rd party characters with one 1st party character, just like with Smash 4 with Cloud, Ryu (Street Fighter), and Bayonetta, the only newcomer who’s a 1st party character is of course Corrin

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Something came up in my head and I wondered if all the fighters pass are just 3rd party characters with one 1st party character, just like with Smash 4 with Cloud, Ryu (Street Fighter), and Bayonetta, the only newcomer who’s a 1st party character is of course Corrin
I hope so. 3rd party picks are a lot more interesting at this point.

D

Deleted member

That probably would've been a debate if the Street Fighter Victory theme didn't get leaked right alongside him. I even asked that at one point and everyone was like that'd be cool, but it's Street Fighter Ryu because of the Victory Music.
Plus if Ryu (Ninja Gaiden) were leaked alongside Roy at the time, the file for the victory fanfare would’ve said “NG_Ryu” or something like that

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Just wait till Smash 9 when we have Breath of Fire Ryu, and Shenmue Ryo, and Art of Fighting Ryo and...

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Can I come in and support? After playing the NES game, I’ve been thinking how neat Ryu Hayabusa could be in Smash.

Oddball

Smash Lord
To me, Ryu will always be the blue guy in the old NES games. I have no problem with his Dead or Alive apperances or the new series it's just not what I grew up with.

Ideally, they'd do with him what they did with Cloud and Bayonetta, old costume and new costume, however if you made me pick I'd go with the old blues.

based on just the blue suits, I did a set of alternate color outfits for the guy.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I also grew up with the old suit, but I still find the old suit to be incredibly bland and find his newer falcon armor to have far more character to it and prefer it greatly, even though I have no attachment to the new franchise or DoA.

D

Deleted member

I hope so. 3rd party picks are a lot more interesting at this point.
I also have another two theories for the Fighters Pass, one is the Fighters Pass will probably be a balance between first and third party where we have two first party characters and two third party characters or screw it, all of the Fighters Pass characters are third party characters.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I am positive that the only first party that has a shot is Bandana Dee, which is good for third party supporters.

D

Deleted member

I am positive that the only first party that has a shot is Bandana Dee, which is good for third party supporters.
I can think of two first party characters, one is Bandana Dee and the other is Style Savvy (yes as if Piranha Plant isn't enough for me).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
When Ryu was datamined his victory music was found, so there was no debate. Same with Roy.

Oh, someone else already said this.

Yay Hayabusa, I guess.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I've heard the NAME Style Savvy, I just don't know anything about the game. From the name I'm guessing it's some kind of fashion game. Though it could be about skateboarding for all I know.

I also wasn't asking to. Just providing evidence, admittedly anecdotal, of it's obscurity.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Ninja Gaiden is a series that I have fond memories of. My entry to the series was Dragon Sword, which led me to play the other gaiden games, and eventually play the NES games.
Ryu is a character that I definitely want to see. I support his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

Count me as a supporter, liked both the first NES game, the DS one (with pretty interesting controls) and the first Xbox game. Ryu is one of the NES era that I like a lot and would like to see him fighting in Smash. Plus I look forward to playing through the rest of the series.

D

Deleted member

Someone in the Banjo thread said Team Ninja confirmed that they have no involvement in regards to Smash Ultimate's DLC.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt considering there's no sources to back up this claim, but if anyone has any, please share them.

I didn't want to bring this up on the Banjo thread itself cause that topic is more for this thread than it is the other.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nobody has posted it here as far as I know, and that seems like the kind of thing that would get posted here if it had been stated.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, it shouldn't be hard to find a source for something like that, so it's probably fake.

What if the 2D Ninja Gaiden games and the Megaman series had a baby (and this baby was raised by Shovel Knight) ?

It's only a trailer and i'm already sold to the idea, i.e. shut up and take my money.

D

Deleted member

What if the 2D Ninja Gaiden games and the Megaman series had a baby (and this baby was raised by Shovel Knight) ?

It's only a trailer and i'm already sold to the idea, i.e. shut up and take my money.
I am also excited to try it, yeah.

Top Bottom