• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hey guys, question for you all: if Ryu Hayabusa does get revealed for Smash Bros, would he be revealed alongside Erdrick as one of two NES characters, or would he be revealed by himself? If the former, I even thought of a trailer for the two:

Cross beginning.

It begins with live-action footage of the Nintendo Switch and the NES. A pair of hands takes out the cartridge of Smash Ultimate and an odd-looking NES cartridge with the Smash logo on it. The hands place Smash into the NES cartridge, which is then placed in its respective console.

The camera then pans up to the TV, where all Smash characters that made their debut on NES (Including, but not limited to, Simon, Mega Man, Ridley, Link and Mario), in the middle of a massive free-for-all in NES form. In the midst of this battle, the camera goes inside the TV and it turns into CGI, leading to total chaos: fireballs, sword beams, bottles of holy water, saw blades, everything but the kitchen sink is being tossed amongst one another as fists clash.

Ridley flies upwards, poised to go whole ham on his enemies, but is immediately stuck down by a lightning bolt. Furious by this cheap shot, Ridley whirls around until he finds a lone figure on a cliff, which the others see. The person has their pointer finger out, which is crackling with lightning, and it lingers for a moment before they jump off and land in front, revealing a young man with a sword and shield. He looks at his opponents, a look of resolve on his face, before he draws his weapons and charges.

ERDRICK Shocks the Crowd!

Gameplay of Erdrick is then shown, ranging from Zap spells to shield-based attacks, as well as a unique Alefgard stage and his Final Smash, Gigaslash. It then cuts back to CGI, where Erdrick is surprisingly holding his own as another lone figure watches from the shadows. After blasting away Link with a bolt of lightning, the battle is interrupted by a giant dragon made of fire that swirls around and burns everything around it before ascending to the sky. Erdrick turns and sees the newcomer in slightly smouldering gear before the flames are doused. The man is revealed to be a ninja, who unsheathes a sword and jumps upwards.

HAYABUSA Drops In!

The ninja, Hayabusa, begins to engage with Erdrick, and then it cuts to Hayabusa gameplay, which shows his multiple Ninpo, including clones, fireballs and his infamous Fire Wheel. They then show his stage, the New York Alley, before cutting to gameplay of Hayabusa and Erdrick fighting. After trading blows, Hayabusa unleashes his Final Smash, Art of the True Inferno, which catches Erdrick and raises him to the top of the screen.

Cut to Smash Ultimate logo. After a while, the logo is sandwiched between two X’s, and next to those X’s are ‘Dragon Quest III’ and ‘Ninja Gaiden’

Cuts back to CGI. Erdrick and Hayabusa glare at one another, the tension high. Suddenly, they charge towards one another, neither slowing down. They then both jump, Erdrick’s sword covered in lightning and Hayabusa’s sword covered in fire. Both blades clash, the impact pushing the camera outwards and back into the live-action, Erdrick and Hayabusa’s clash transitioned back to 8-bit. (End music at 0:21) The two land, waiting for a moment before Erdrick falls. Hayabusa, seeing his work finished, jumps offscreen before an 8-bit version of the Smash Ultimate logo splashes the screen as if it were an NES game.
Probably revealed by himself; the only times that I can think of where multiple characters were revealed at once was when one of them was an echo fighter (Simon and Richter, Ken and Incineroar, Robin and Lucina, technically Palutena and Dark Pit) or a trailer introducing the game as a whole (which only happened with Brawl's reveal trailer).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm sure all of the DLC characters are going to be revealed months apart from each other.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey guys, question for you all: if Ryu Hayabusa does get revealed for Smash Bros, would he be revealed alongside Erdrick as one of two NES characters, or would he be revealed by himself? If the former, I even thought of a trailer for the two:

Cross beginning.

It begins with live-action footage of the Nintendo Switch and the NES. A pair of hands takes out the cartridge of Smash Ultimate and an odd-looking NES cartridge with the Smash logo on it. The hands place Smash into the NES cartridge, which is then placed in its respective console.

The camera then pans up to the TV, where all Smash characters that made their debut on NES (Including, but not limited to, Simon, Mega Man, Ridley, Link and Mario), in the middle of a massive free-for-all in NES form. In the midst of this battle, the camera goes inside the TV and it turns into CGI, leading to total chaos: fireballs, sword beams, bottles of holy water, saw blades, everything but the kitchen sink is being tossed amongst one another as fists clash.

Ridley flies upwards, poised to go whole ham on his enemies, but is immediately stuck down by a lightning bolt. Furious by this cheap shot, Ridley whirls around until he finds a lone figure on a cliff, which the others see. The person has their pointer finger out, which is crackling with lightning, and it lingers for a moment before they jump off and land in front, revealing a young man with a sword and shield. He looks at his opponents, a look of resolve on his face, before he draws his weapons and charges.

Gameplay of Erdrick is then shown, ranging from Zap spells to shield-based attacks, as well as a unique Alefgard stage and his Final Smash, Gigaslash. It then cuts back to CGI, where Erdrick is surprisingly holding his own as another lone figure watches from the shadows. After blasting away Link with a bolt of lightning, the battle is interrupted by a giant dragon made of fire that swirls around and burns everything around it before ascending to the sky. Erdrick turns and sees the newcomer in slightly smouldering gear before the flames are doused. The man is revealed to be a ninja, who unsheathes a sword and jumps upwards.

HAYABUSA Drops In!

The ninja, Hayabusa, begins to engage with Erdrick, and then it cuts to Hayabusa gameplay, which shows his multiple Ninpo, including clones, fireballs and his infamous Fire Wheel. They then show his stage, the New York Alley, before cutting to gameplay of Hayabusa and Erdrick fighting. After trading blows, Hayabusa unleashes his Final Smash, Art of the True Inferno, which catches Erdrick and raises him to the top of the screen.

Cut to Smash Ultimate logo. After a while, the logo is sandwiched between two X’s, and next to those X’s are ‘Dragon Quest III’ and ‘Ninja Gaiden’

Cuts back to CGI. Erdrick and Hayabusa glare at one another, the tension high. Suddenly, they charge towards one another, neither slowing down. They then both jump, Erdrick’s sword covered in lightning and Hayabusa’s sword covered in fire. Both blades clash, the impact pushing the camera outwards and back into the live-action, Erdrick and Hayabusa’s clash transitioned back to 8-bit. (End music at 0:21) The two land, waiting for a moment before Erdrick falls. Hayabusa, seeing his work finished, jumps offscreen before an 8-bit version of the Smash Ultimate logo splashes the screen as if it were an NES game.
This is super awesome but if I saw a figure in shadows with their pointer finger out and it wasn’t Phoenix Wright I’d be crushed.

Also I don’t think they’d have a character beating the other in the end.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Cross beginning.

HAYABUSA Drops In!

As cool as this is, I don’t think SE would allow Erdrick to lose in his own trailer. Yeah, I know it happened to Ken, but Ken is an echo character and Erdrick is a full fledged newcomer.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I really love this track, so yeah. I would be upset if we could not get content from both iterations of Ninja Gaiden, but I'm not too worried on that.

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Well well, so not only is Tecmo Koei is developing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, but also helping development with FE Three Houses. Interesting...

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Ryu Hayabusa : commonalities with Joker and Erdrick

- They come from third-party licenses with Japanese origins whose first episode was released on Nintendo before 1988, like 80% of the third-party fighters in Smash Bros, with Pac-Man, Simon Belmont, Snake, Ryu, Mega Man and Cloud.

- They come from third-party licenses with at least 20 different games, like 90% of the third-party fighters in Smash Bros (all exept the ballot Bayonetta).

- They come from third-party licenses adapted in animated series or OAV, like 100% of the third-party fighters in Smash Bros.

- They come from third-party licenses where no character was been in the ballot for Smash4, nor existing forecasts in the Rate Their Chances thread for Smash 4, like Cloud.
> "Who never saw it coming forward", "new to the series", just like Joker from Persona 5" : "this gives you a flavor of how we are approaching the DLC." - Reggie

- According Famitsū, they come from third-party licenses appearing at least 9 times in the preferences of Japanese by consoles.
Above them, there is only Mario (15 appearances) and Final Fantasy (17 appearances). Just below them, there is only Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and Sakura Wars, (6 appearances each, counting Project X Zone).
Ryu Hayabusa only appears in 2 game of preferences of Japanese. But it's already a lot.

- They are male human heroes come from third-party licenses, like 60% of the third-party fighters in Smash Bros, with Simon Belmont, Snake, Ryu, and Cloud.
This would leave little chance for a new male human hero to occupy a 3rd / 4th / 5th slot. Steve, Marine, Ryu Hayabusa are concerned. But also Lloyd Irving (RPG too), Pr. Layton, Phoenix Wright, Leon S. Kennedy, Monster Hunter, Terry Bogard, Master Chief, Scorpion, Solaire...

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly, Hayabusa not being in would just feel like a missed opportunity after we got Simon. All the NES legends are here... except Ryu. I dunno. I think it has to happen at this point.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sorry Ryu Hayabusa supporters, but the 5Chan Leak (that claimed that the other 4 DLC characters are Erdrick, Steve, Doomguy, and Ryu Hayabusa) has been proven fake.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Maybe I'm missing it, but all I see is one random internet guy saying another random internet guy is fake.

I don't really believe leakers in the first place, but I'm not really sure what's been "proven" fake there.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm rather surprised there hasn't been any sort of follow up to that leak with Hayabusa and Doom Slayer. The most we have is that an English speaker may or may not have posted it on a Japanese speaking site? Anything else?

Usually leaks are debunked or proven true but this one has survived for a really long time with no real updates. Maybe we'll get some idea of its validity when that Persona 5 news comes out later this month.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There was a post two replies earlier. The link is dead now.
Yeah, I know but literally all it said was "It's fake because Japanese speakers don't say this which means an English speaker was posing as a Japanese speaker on the forums. IT'S FAKE!" Which is like, a gigantic leap in logic. It's fake because they worded it weird despite it getting a ton of other things correct? Yeah, no thanks. That doesn't deconfirm it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The prospect of RYU does not excite me. I don't know much about Ninja Gaiden, and I think that's part of the problem I see with so many third party characters-- which surely is personal bias, but that leads to a lot of my hype.

Can someone please convince me to like him and the series? I never got there with Geno and I really tried.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Add me to the supporters list. Also ^, Ryu would represent the final of the NES classics. alongside Mario, Mega Man, and Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden stands as a famous NES icon. He also could be an interesting character with his moves from the NES trilogy, the DOA games, and the modern Xbox games. He would provide a hybrid of a quick ninja (Sheik, Greninja), a projectile user (Simon), swordfighter and a brawler. He could be really unique and different.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Can someone please convince me to like him and the series?
He's just up there with Simon and Mega Man in terms of characters that were big on the NES. Although he actually manages to stay more relevant in the modern day than the other two thanks to his series reboot back on the XBox and him being in DoA.
Ryu would represent the final of the NES classics. alongside Mario, Mega Man, and Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden stands as a famous NES icon.
He ain't the final!

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Yeah, honestly he is IMO the safest bet for DLC. Makes a lot of sense, is iconic, unique, and relevant (kinda)

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The prospect of RYU does not excite me. I don't know much about Ninja Gaiden, and I think that's part of the problem I see with so many third party characters-- which surely is personal bias, but that leads to a lot of my hype.

Can someone please convince me to like him and the series? I never got there with Geno and I really tried.
Alright, I'll try.

Legacy Reasoning.

He's literally one of, if not THE last NES Legend to not be in Smash. We have Mario, Link, Samus, Ice Climbers, Pit, Little Mac, Mega Man, even PAC-MAN if you want to count him, and now Simon. It finally feels as if the Ninja of the NES is finally missing. Like, he's one of the last big NES character to not be there and that's baffling.

Company Support Reason.

Tecmo-Koei and specifically Team Ninja, the developers of Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden (Both of which feature Hayabusa) have been an active collaborator with Nintendo all the way back to the Wii and DS. They developed Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword exclusively for the DS, (Dragon Sword get it?) and was one of the two main developers on Metroid: Other M, they were responsible for the combat which is arguably the most enjoyable part of that game. And they have continued to support Nintendo consoles ever since releasing Dead or Alive Dimensions as a 3DS launch title featuring Hayabusa, and originally launching Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge as a Nintendo exclusive for the Wii U launch. They went on to help Nintendo develop Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, and now Ultimate Alliance 3, all exclusives for Nintendo Consoles. And all that is without even mentioning the mainline Warriors Titles wherein they developed an exclusive game mode in Samurai Warriors 3 for the Wii featuring Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle. They're also the co-owners of the Fatal Frame franchise a cult classic horror franchise that is Nintendo exclusive now. They did a crossover with Pokemon and Nobunaga's Ambition in Pokemon Conquest. And have released Multiple Warriors Titles on the Switch at this point in time. So, yeah, Nintendo and Tecmo go way back and have been pretty buddy buddy for a while.

Icon Reason

So, here's the thing. When the vast video game community thinks of The Video Game Ninja, there's one character that comes to mind. Yep, Hayabusa. He is THE Video Game Ninja. He's transcended generations of gamers and is still an incredibly iconic character. So, why? Well, his games are known for their absolutely brutal difficulty. With the original NES Trilogy being one of the most grueling video game experiences you can ever play. After a hiatus of about, oh, 15 years Ninja Gaiden came back with a vengeance bringing a grueling character action game to finally rival Devil May Cry. The Xbox original Ninja Gaiden has been ported and remade time and time again because it is such a classic game.

Character Reason

Ninja Gaiden was one of the first games on the NES to embrace story. Focusing on a narrative that would drive you to move this character towards this objective. Ryu was a calm, collected Ninja in the NES games and each game gave us a look into the life of Hayabusa, first with loss, then with love, and finally peace. A ninja's journey through and through, while he saved the world from Demon Gods. Then we have the modern Ninja Gaiden games which portray Ryu as a younger more athletic more brutal version of his future self. A man distraught at the attack on his village and at his own death that seeks Revenge, justice, and truth.

So, yeah. I tried.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Yeah, I know but literally all it said was "It's fake because Japanese speakers don't say this which means an English speaker was posing as a Japanese speaker on the forums. IT'S FAKE!" Which is like, a gigantic leap in logic. It's fake because they worded it weird despite it getting a ton of other things correct? Yeah, no thanks. That doesn't deconfirm it.
Fair enough though to be fair I've never approached that leak with absolute certainty. Though that's mostly from saving myself from one hell of a disappointment.

Just found out Dave B. Mitchell voices Ryu in Dead or Alive 6, think he would return if Ryu was announced for Ultimate?

View attachment 196572
Probably I assume he's non-union so Nintendo won't have too many issues here.

I don't really know what to say but this. Just play a Ninja Gaiden game.

I personally recommend the first game on NES as well as Ninja Gaiden Black on Xbox. Though fair warning these were the "Dark Souls" of games before Dark Souls ever existed. There's also the Dead or Alive games which he is a main character in.

Nonspecificguy also made a lot of really good points.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think Hayabusa is the last third party character we could get that originated from the NES? What original Nintendo characters from the NES days do you all want to see join smash?

Personally, I think Hayabusa is probably the last major third party character from the NES to not be included in Smash. Erdrick is a definitive contender (He definitely represents a legendary franchise), but there is always the possibility Dragon Quest could be represented by another protagonist.

I wouldn't completely count out Battletoads or a Contra protagonist, but they're admittedly really unlikely. Probably bests as assists.

As for Nintendo IP, I think Takamaru and Excitebiker would be original characters that round out the NES era.

I wouldn't be surprised if Impa, Birdo, Medusa, Ninten and Proto Man make it in as echoes.

Mach Rider, Tamagon, and Balloon Fighter could always be a whacky out-of-nowhere pick, but I think they would be assists at best.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Whoops! I started from the top, so that was my perspective as the first. I meant the last two in the top row. I know Bub and Arthur haha

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Aw, they couldn’t get Troy Baker back?! Man, that stings. Troy is one of my favorite VA’s. I would’ve loved for him to return...
Maybe it'll be a Snake-type situation (Kiefer Sutherland in MGSV, David Hayter in Smash), where despite Dave B. Mitchell voicing him in DoA6, Troy comes back to voice him in Smash?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Maybe it'll be a Snake-type situation (Kiefer Sutherland in MGSV, David Hayter in Smash), where despite Dave B. Mitchell voicing him in DoA6, Troy comes back to voice him in Smash?
Nintendo does not use union voice actors.

A thought occurred, if the rumors are true and Xbox Game Pass is coming to Switch, Does this mean Ninja Gaiden Black and vanialla Ninja Gaiden 2 is coming?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Do you guys think Hayabusa is the last third party character we could get that originated from the NES? What original Nintendo characters from the NES days do you all want to see join smash?

Personally, I think Hayabusa is probably the last major third party character from the NES to not be included in Smash. Erdrick is a definitive contender (He definitely represents a legendary franchise), but there is always the possibility Dragon Quest could be represented by another protagonist.

I wouldn't completely count out Battletoads or a Contra protagonist, but they're admittedly really unlikely. Probably bests as assists.

As for Nintendo IP, I think Takamaru and Excitebiker would be original characters that round out the NES era.

I wouldn't be surprised if Impa, Birdo, Medusa, Ninten and Proto Man make it in as echoes.

Mach Rider, Tamagon, and Balloon Fighter could always be a whacky out-of-nowhere pick, but I think they would be assists at best.
Personally I think Ryu and Erdrick might happen, and the Nintendo retros always have a shot, but with how little modern relevance other franchises have (Bubble Bobble, Contra, GnG) I think they'll call it quits with third parties before reaching them.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They still put out Kunio games regularly and are just releasing that NES collection.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I do think we are getting Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z on Switch due to the trademark renewal. I’m hoping it’s part of a collection with the first 3 modern Ninja Gaiden games included as well.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do think we are getting Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z on Switch due to the trademark renewal. I’m hoping it’s part of a collection with the first 3 modern Ninja Gaiden games included as well.
Imagine if we just got Yaiba... that would be so disappointing.

D

Deleted member

Imagine if we just got Yaiba... that would be so disappointing.
Man that would be the most unexpected and underwhelming reveal if he was chosen over Hayabusa, but Yaiba would fit as an advanced spirit though.

Speaking of spirits, how many of them do you guys think will be a part of a Ninja Gaiden Character Pack and what kind of Spirit Battles can be made with some of them like Ayane, Momiji, Jaquio, and even some DoA characters like Kasumi?

Top Bottom