• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I would argue we don't actually have an archetypical, katana weilding ninja, which is such a classic video game trope. Ryu fits that bill perfectly. He is THE video game ninja as far as I am concerned.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Yes, alongside Scorpion, Goemon, Yoshimitsu, Strider Hiryu and Joe Musashi, Ryu Hayabusa dominates the form.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
He is probably the last 3rd party classic NES era character I would expect to be in Smash, either as DLC or in the base roster for the next game. I support.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He is probably the last classic NES era character I would expect to be in Smash, either as DLC or in the base roster for the next game. I support.
Well, there's still Billy Lee (with Jimmy Lee as alt or Echo) and Bill Rizer (with Lance Bean as alt or Echo) and Arthur. Oh, and Takamaru and Mike Jones.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So I tried out Ninja Gaiden because it was on NES Online and it's pretty good, if a little dated. I'm very much savestate spamming to get by, and I'm proud of it, but the game is worth it. Even with my paltry experience, I support.

I think it'd be hilarious if the victory jingle was the death theme from the original game, but I think I should ask bigger Ninja Gaiden fans: what would the victory jingle be for Ryu (H.) if he got in?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So I tried out Ninja Gaiden because it was on NES Online and it's pretty good, if a little dated. I'm very much savestate spamming to get by, and I'm proud of it, but the game is worth it. Even with my paltry experience, I support.

I think it'd be hilarious if the victory jingle was the death theme from the original game, but I think I should ask bigger Ninja Gaiden fans: what would the victory jingle be for Ryu (H.) if he got in?
I would unironically love it if his victory jingle was the death jingle.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I should never leave this place for so long again. Interesting to see a bit more activity. My support has not left at all, and that's how it should stay.

Also, can we agree this would be a perfect track to add in Smash, no matter what for?

I could see him being a blend of his retro and later appearances. Like, he still uses his Dragon Sword, but can also even perhaps make use of certain items, such as the throwing star or fire wheel. But he could also use fighting techniques such as the Izuna Drop from DoA, as that can inspire his close-up game.

If there's anything from the reboot that could work too (aside from alts), I would love to hear about it. Seriously, I could see him getting the Cloud treatment in terms of alts, though. Captures both generations, don't you think?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I legit think the death theme should be it. After all, what theme has any Ninja Gaiden player heard more than that?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I should never leave this place for so long again. Interesting to see a bit more activity. My support has not left at all, and that's how it should stay.

Also, can we agree this would be a perfect track to add in Smash, no matter what for?

I could see him being a blend of his retro and later appearances. Like, he still uses his Dragon Sword, but can also even perhaps make use of certain items, such as the throwing star or fire wheel. But he could also use fighting techniques such as the Izuna Drop from DoA, as that can inspire his close-up game.

If there's anything from the reboot that could work too (aside from alts), I would love to hear about it. Seriously, I could see him getting the Cloud treatment in terms of alts, though. Captures both generations, don't you think?
Tecmo has had no problem letting both designs coexist. So I wouldn't see that as a problem here.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Oh yes Im getting my boy Ryu in smash ultimate he's my dream character similar how I feel about Rayman oh well I love Koei Tecmo games and Koei have a great relationship with Nintendo during the Wii U era and Switch with Fire Emblem Warriors. The main reason why Im hype because we're getting Ninja character in smash honestly Ninja's are cooler than Samurai's well I've been over Takamaru de confirmation yup Im over it. We finally got a cat character in smash its Ninja Time.

slambros

Smash Ace
Well, I suppose Ninja Gaiden is one of the games available to play on that NES streaming application that's on the Switch. I think Hayabusa would be an excellent choice; I'd be appreciative as one of the ones that played Dead Or Alive Dimensions on the 3DS. And just like with Solid Snake, they could name the character the last part of the name: 'Hayabusa'. That, or name it the full name of 'Ryu Hayabusa' like Dead Or Alive does. I don't think it'd be too difficult to differentiate the character from Street Fighter Ryu in my opinion.

:131:

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm not really buying the new leak, but I will continue to support Hayabusa regardless.

If he gets in his reveal trailer NEEDS to replicate the iconic Ninja Gaiden NES intro. Maybe with Sheik or Greninja as a partner.

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
Ryu is probably the codifying example of Video Game ninjas. While Shinobi was the first gaming ninja, Ryu is arguably the most influential and expanded what Shinobi had already established.

I strongly believe that Hayabusa will make it as DLC. Yuri from Fatal Frame is an Assist Trophy, and the Fatal Frame series is owned by Koei Tecmo. Adding to this, Hayabusa isn't shown to be a Spirit in the game, and considering the good relationship between Nintendo and Tecmo, Ryu's chances are not bad. In fact, aside from being a defining ninja, Ryu can utilize various other items he uses throughout his series and even borrow a few moves from the Dead or Alive series. His inclusion might make the chances of Kasumi appearing in Smash possible, though I'm thinking she would be saved for a sequel instead.

Also, should have stated to get my name added to the support list. Thanks.

Ornl

Smash Ace
If I counted well, there are 64 supporters for Ryu Hayabusa so far.
Nice!

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So... Izuna drop...command grab special or regular throw? Where would you assign it?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So... Izuna drop...command grab special or regular throw? Where would you assign it?
Command grab Up-B. If used on the ground, it’s just an in-place command grab that grabs an opponent before jumping upwards with them and plummeting, but if used in the air you’ll rise up, only plummeting if you manage to grab an opponent.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Put me up in that Support list!
Ryu Hayabusa is basically in the same case of Simon Belmont. A franchise with plenty of early history with Nintendo that has died down over the years. It will be great to see him in Smash.
Besides, we already have a Techmo related franchise in Smash, Fatal Frame, having spirits and an assist trophy!

Kameha420

Smash Rookie
I think I might make another video addressing the situation on if this Rumor is true or not.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Even if the rumour is fake, I think it was a good thing for both the Hayabusa and Doomguy support base. It's got a lot of people talking about the prospect of them being in the game. I'm willing to bet they'll be popular 3rd party requests from now on.

I think I might make another video addressing the situation on if this Rumor is true or not.
If you want the whole 'history' of this rumor, here's the post that first brought it to our attention and here's another development concerning the rumor's origin and legitimacy. Also, Vergeben briefly commented about it. It's not much but it's all the info we have about it (as far as i know).

It's likely a fake but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on it just in case it suddenly gains in credibility.

In any case, Ryu Hayabusa could very well be one of the DLC characters regardless of the '5chan leak' veracity.

If he gets in his reveal trailer NEEDS to replicate the iconic Ninja Gaiden NES intro. Maybe with Sheik or Greninja as a partner.
Now you're just raising my hopes to ridiculously high levels! Damn you!
:p

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Even if the rumour is fake, I think it was a good thing for both the Hayabusa and Doomguy support base. It's got a lot of people talking about the prospect of them being in the game. I'm willing to bet they'll be popular 3rd party requests from now on.
After this leak was shown. Twitter was pretty supportive of the idea of Hayabusa in Smash. There were definitely naysayers mind you, but even just putting the idea in people's minds helps a lot.

Just look at Erdrick. It's funny when PushDustin did his poll back in the Smash 4 DLC days regarding Japan's wants, no one brought up Dragon Quest. And Japan is the one that religiously loves that series. Suddenly there's a rumor that a DQ character is coming and now everyone (in the western world) is vouching for Erdrick.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
First time I’ve heard of this zombie spin-off. Truth be told, if the first game we get in forever is not a main game, I’ll be kind of annoyed.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
First time I’ve heard of this zombie spin-off. Truth be told, if the first game we get in forever is not a main game, I’ll be kind of annoyed.
I’m hoping it’s part of a collection. The mainline games plus Yaiba:Ninja Gaiden Z. The leak did say it could be a collection.

Posted the Updated news about Ryu Hayabusa supposedly being DLC for Smash Ultimate, Hope you all enjoy this video.

Thank You!
A Updated video about the Ryu Hayabusa RUMOR
As far as i know, the info in the 5chan rumor doesn't come from datamining (as you state here in you video)...

Also i can't find where Jam1garner claimed that Hayabusa is coming to Smash Ultimate (i know he's a dataminer but is it only his opinion or is it based on datamined info?)

Look, i share your enthusiasm about the prospect of Hayabusa being DLC but you need to provide proofs for your claims or else it just looks like you're trying to spread misinformation to falsely boost Hayabusa's chances. It could be just an honest mistake tho or i could be the one who is misinformed. I would very much like to know more about your sources of info.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Although while Ryu Hayabusa may be my requested character, it's rather best to use the classic Ryu than the modern one because the modern Ninja Gaiden is of course bloody and violent.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Although while Ryu Hayabusa may be my requested character, it's rather best to use the classic Ryu than the modern one because the modern Ninja Gaiden is of course bloody and violent.
I think he'd get the Bayonetta/Wario/Cloud treatment if he gets in. I can see four alts being his classic NES design and the other for being his modern one.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hope the rumor is true for ryu

If a anniversary and a game is coming up that would line up well for ryu hayabusa

I think rumor or not likely regardless

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hey guys, question for you all: if Ryu Hayabusa does get revealed for Smash Bros, would he be revealed alongside Erdrick as one of two NES characters, or would he be revealed by himself? If the former, I even thought of a trailer for the two:

Cross beginning.

It begins with live-action footage of the Nintendo Switch and the NES. A pair of hands takes out the cartridge of Smash Ultimate and an odd-looking NES cartridge with the Smash logo on it. The hands place Smash into the NES cartridge, which is then placed in its respective console.

The camera then pans up to the TV, where all Smash characters that made their debut on NES (Including, but not limited to, Simon, Mega Man, Ridley, Link and Mario), in the middle of a massive free-for-all in NES form. In the midst of this battle, the camera goes inside the TV and it turns into CGI, leading to total chaos: fireballs, sword beams, bottles of holy water, saw blades, everything but the kitchen sink is being tossed amongst one another as fists clash.

Ridley flies upwards, poised to go whole ham on his enemies, but is immediately stuck down by a lightning bolt. Furious by this cheap shot, Ridley whirls around until he finds a lone figure on a cliff, which the others see. The person has their pointer finger out, which is crackling with lightning, and it lingers for a moment before they jump off and land in front, revealing a young man with a sword and shield. He looks at his opponents, a look of resolve on his face, before he draws his weapons and charges.

ERDRICK Shocks the Crowd!

Gameplay of Erdrick is then shown, ranging from Zap spells to shield-based attacks, as well as a unique Alefgard stage and his Final Smash, Gigaslash. It then cuts back to CGI, where Erdrick is surprisingly holding his own as another lone figure watches from the shadows. After blasting away Link with a bolt of lightning, the battle is interrupted by a giant dragon made of fire that swirls around and burns everything around it before ascending to the sky. Erdrick turns and sees the newcomer in slightly smouldering gear before the flames are doused. The man is revealed to be a ninja, who unsheathes a sword and jumps upwards.

HAYABUSA Drops In!

The ninja, Hayabusa, begins to engage with Erdrick, and then it cuts to Hayabusa gameplay, which shows his multiple Ninpo, including clones, fireballs and his infamous Fire Wheel. They then show his stage, the New York Alley, before cutting to gameplay of Hayabusa and Erdrick fighting. After trading blows, Hayabusa unleashes his Final Smash, Art of the True Inferno, which catches Erdrick and raises him to the top of the screen.

Cut to Smash Ultimate logo. After a while, the logo is sandwiched between two X’s, and next to those X’s are ‘Dragon Quest III’ and ‘Ninja Gaiden’

Cuts back to CGI. Erdrick and Hayabusa glare at one another, the tension high. Suddenly, they charge towards one another, neither slowing down. They then both jump, Erdrick’s sword covered in lightning and Hayabusa’s sword covered in fire. Both blades clash, the impact pushing the camera outwards and back into the live-action, Erdrick and Hayabusa’s clash transitioned back to 8-bit. (End music at 0:21) The two land, waiting for a moment before Erdrick falls. Hayabusa, seeing his work finished, jumps offscreen before an 8-bit version of the Smash Ultimate logo splashes the screen as if it were an NES game.

Top Bottom