• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh you know what I just remmebered

They revealed they are putting Ninja Gaiden in the nes collection section of the switch

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Here is a question: If Ryu Hayabusa got in what weapons would you like him to have? Claws? Scythe? Lunar Staff? Chain & Sickle?

How about Ninpo? I'd like his Final Smash to be that fire Dragon attack.
All I want is for him to be able to sic those birds at his opponents so they can feel his suffering since the 8bit days.

Kameha420

Smash Rookie
Regardless of Ninja Gaiden being on Nintendo Switch Online which is great an all but i'm hoping 4 of those golden ticket DLC slots is open for HAYABUSA because we only have 4 slots open for Ryu Hayabusa & I just hope Nintendo has a soft spot for Ninja's because who knows how there going to decide these DLC characters we literally need to wait & hope for the best. Let's try & remember that Sakurai said NEW CHARECTERS THAT HAVEN'T BEEN IN SMASH BEFORE.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If all the characters are completely new to Smash, this boosts Hayabusa's chances a bit at least. I wonder how popular he was in ballots. If he ever does make it in, deciding what to take from the original series, modern series and DOA will be interesting.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I think it's safe to say that Post Joker reveal Ryu's chances have gone EXTREMELY high.

A few more steps and he might even be Shoo-in level like Ken was.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While there are still a good number of NES all stars to left to put in the roster, Ryu Hayabusa along with Arthur, a character from Contra, and a character from Double Dragon are really the last major NES stars left that are not in the roster yet. I would be down with him, he would be very cool.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While there are still a good number of NES all stars to left to put in the roster, Ryu Hayabusa along with Arthur, a character from Contra, and a character from Double Dragon are really the last major NES stars left that are not in the roster yet. I would be down with him, he would be very cool.
Also, a Battletoad shouldn't be underestimated especially since they're making a comeback.

In regards to Arthur, it's a bit hard to tell. He's been hardly used in years, and Don Ramiro and Madelyn are covering his niche with their games. Not to mention there are still plenty of Capcom characters that could get in over him.

Last edited:
Jaguar360 i skimmed through the thread and found a few supporters that were not on the list.
Tikivoy
NonSpecificGuy
Pallex
DNeon
SEGAGameBoy
DarthEnderX
Isaac: Venus Adept
cool mario bros
lordvaati
toonito
magiciandude
Blade of Evil's Bane
OptimisticStrifer
psb123
Akod
Knight Dude
DragonKent17
Dyllybirdy
Smashing Ramen
Idon
Smashoperatingbuddy123
valkiriforce
Not explicity stated 'i support' or 'add me to support list' but enthusiasts regarding Hayabusa's inclusion.
RetrogamerMax
Nothgard
FalconFire93
Kameha420
TriMaxTime
MacDaddyNook
GoodGrief741
Yeld
Ashen Jedi
ErenJager
patriot712
Just wanted to let you know.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Jaguar360 i skimmed through the thread and found a few supporters that were not on the list.
Tikivoy
NonSpecificGuy
Pallex
DNeon
SEGAGameBoy
DarthEnderX
Isaac: Venus Adept
cool mario bros
lordvaati
toonito
magiciandude
Blade of Evil's Bane
OptimisticStrifer
psb123
Akod
Knight Dude
DragonKent17
Dyllybirdy
Smashing Ramen
Idon
Smashoperatingbuddy123
valkiriforce
Not explicity stated 'i support' or 'add me to support list' but enthusiasts regarding Hayabusa's inclusion.
RetrogamerMax
Nothgard
FalconFire93
Kameha420
TriMaxTime
MacDaddyNook
GoodGrief741
Yeld
Ashen Jedi
ErenJager
patriot712
Just wanted to let you know.
Welp, I didn't realize I didn't specifically say I support. Anyhoo, to not leave anything ambiguous, I certainly do support.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
As much as I want him in the game, I wouldnt call him a shoo-in lol. What makes you feel that way?
Oh yeah forgot to clarify, my bad hahaha.|

Generally a trend with a lot of the 3rd Party reps we have gotten is they are from companies that worked with Nintendo on collabs before, such as...

Square: Super Mario RPG, Fortune Street.
Konami: DDR Mario Mix.
Capcom: The GBC/GBA Zeldas.
Sega: Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, F-Zero GX/AX.
ATLUS: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Namco: Star Fox Assault, Mario Kart Arcade GP 1/2, PAC-MAN Vs., um...these Smash games.

Tecmo-Koei is the most notable omission here. Over the years they did things like having Takamaru as a character in Samurai Warriors, the Metroid level in DoA Dimensions, Pokemon Conquest, Metroid: Other M (oi) and having Ayane as a hidden character in a Fatal Frame game. they did so much dual work with the company compared to the others that the chance of a character from their games getting into here is inevitable, and there is no more notable character then Ryu Hayabusa, who even has the advantage of being one of the last major NES icons left.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh yeah forgot to clarify, my bad hahaha.|

Generally a trend with a lot of the 3rd Party reps we have gotten is they are from companies that worked with Nintendo on collabs before, such as...

Square: Super Mario RPG, Fortune Street.
Konami: DDR Mario Mix.
Capcom: The GBC/GBA Zeldas.
Sega: Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, F-Zero GX/AX.
ATLUS: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Namco: Star Fox Assault, Mario Kart Arcade GP 1/2, PAC-MAN Vs., um...these Smash games.

Tecmo-Koei is the most notable omission here. Over the years they did things like having Takamaru as a character in Samurai Warriors, the Metroid level in DoA Dimensions, Pokemon Conquest, Metroid: Other M (oi) and having Ayane as a hidden character in a Fatal Frame game. they did so much dual work with the company compared to the others that the chance of a character from their games getting into here is inevitable, and there is no more notable character then Ryu Hayabusa, who even has the advantage of being one of the last major NES icons left.
Semi final icon

The Battletoads would be the lasts ones after him and the toads are coming back as of 2019

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Also, a Battletoad shouldn't be underestimated especially since they're making a comeback.

In regards to Arthur, it's a bit hard to tell. He's been hardly used in years, and Don Ramiro and Madelyn are covering his niche with their games. Not to mention there are still plenty of Capcom characters that could get in over him.
Semi final icon

The Battletoads would be the lasts ones after him and the toads are coming back as of 2019
As much as I want the 'Toads to make it in, and I really really do (especially with how much personality KI gave Rash), they do have to compete with Banjo, Steve and even Master Chief for Microsoft's pick. It'd be a dream pick, but quite the Hail Mary of Smash inclusions.

Hayabusa at least has a strong chance. Nintendo has collaborated with Tecmo on multiple, fairly recent, occasions and entrusted them with numerous IPs from Pokemon to Metroid to Zelda. Samus still has her Other M design and now Fatal Frame has an AT, so it isn't unrealistic to see them going to the company to include one of their fighters as an IP and Hayabusa is the most iconic of those candidates.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
All in on Hayabusa now. Not too many characters I really want so my wants need to go somewhere.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As much as I want the 'Toads to make it in, and I really really do (especially with how much personality KI gave Rash), they do have to compete with Banjo, Steve and even Master Chief for Microsoft's pick. It'd be a dream pick, but quite the Hail Mary of Smash inclusions.

Hayabusa at least has a strong chance. Nintendo has collaborated with Tecmo on multiple, fairly recent, occasions and entrusted them with numerous IPs from Pokemon to Metroid to Zelda. Samus still has her Other M design and now Fatal Frame has an AT, so it isn't unrealistic to see them going to the company to include one of their fighters as an IP and Hayabusa is the most iconic of those candidates.
I'm sure Chief isn't in the running, since he still needs a Nintendo appearance. Even Joker has that.

That being said, I hope Ryu could come with Spirits for the Warriors spin-offs of Zelda and Fire Emblem.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm sure Chief isn't in the running, since he still needs a Nintendo appearance. Even Joker has that.

That being said, I hope Ryu could come with Spirits for the Warriors spin-offs of Zelda and Fire Emblem.
Chief does have a Nintendo appearance, he’s a skin in Minecraft.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Chief does have a Nintendo appearance, he’s a skin in Minecraft.
That's pretty strenuous, but I'll take it. Unfortunately, most people won't have done research and know any better if he does get revealed, as they'll think he came right out of nowhere. At least with Cloud and Joker, it's easier to find their Nintendo appearances.

Nothgard

Smash Cadet
Maybe some people here dont speak spanish , but you can translate the page: koei tecmo works in Ultimate Alliance 3
This is a good chance to hayabusa, and i think is the most popular character of koei.
I clear 100% world of light and i dont see a spirit of hayabusa, but yes many characters of koei :lol:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Project Zero is represented in Smash, via Maya in SMBDS, Mio & Mayu Amakura in SMBWiiU, and Yuri Kozukata in Assist Trophy, suggesting a serious rapprochement of the studio. Ninja Gaiden has been sleeping since 2014, but Ryu Hayabusa is in my opinion one of the most legitimate to find the golden ticket to the big Smash chocolate factory. I support.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hey count me in as a supporter! I've not played a single Ninja Gaiden or Dead or Alive, but no one can deny that Hayabusa is a classic video game character with an extensive legacy.

That move list made by jamesster445 jamesster445 in the OP was very well made, would love to see the Ninja in action after reading through that.

Hoi fellow ninjas, yesterday i've found this old Ninja Gaiden anime from 1991, maybe some of you have seen it already. It takes place after the events of Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos. I just thought it was cool to see Ryu Hayabusa in action in anime format, so here it is if you guys are interested:

*Warning there's blood (quite a lot), violence, gore, scary biotechnological superhuman demon things and some terrible 90s haircuts :p

Also, happy new year! ... Here's to 2019, the year we'll get Ryu Hayabusa in smash... maybe... hopefully...

Tagging Idon Idon here for the 2 consecutive Izuna drops, both from a goddamn rooftop (idk if they're technically Izuna drops but if not, that's certainly close enough).

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So this was sent to me today on twitter. Thoughts. Personally, between Hayabusa and Doomguy it's just too good to be true.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Just dropping by to show some support for Ryu.

Having him, Mega Man, and Simon all in the same game would be a sight to behold.

So this was sent to me today on twitter. Thoughts. Personally, between Hayabusa and Doomguy it's just too good to be true.

A japanese user here on smashboards (Ayumi Tachibana) brought it up last sunday in the Square Enix thread.

Here's the original ''leak'' (in japanese): https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544363780/

Translation:
1 Joker
P5R will be released in the first half of 2019.

2 Erdrick (Roto's name overseas)
Anlucia and Eleven (Luminary's name in Japan) as pallet swaps.
Not just DQ11S but past DQ series will be released in 2019.
He's in to promote DQ franchise overseas (DQ11S will be published by Nintendo).

3 Ryu Hayabusa
There is a project on going for Ninja Gaiden's 30th anniversary.
New game comes out in 2019 (not sure it's brand new or not).

4 Steve
He will be announced in E3 2019.
Alex and Master Chief skin as pallet swaps.
He was supposed to be in the base roster but sent to the DLC for Minecraft Dungeons' promotion.

5 Marine (from DOOM)
He will be announced in E3 2019.
DOOM 64 costume as pallet swap.
Promotion for DOOM Eternal.

Seems like the original was posted on December 9th so after Joker's reveal (not before, as stated in the tweet).

My personal take is that there's no reason to believe it's real but there's no reason to totally discard it either (as far as i'm aware) so it's a good idea to keep it in mind. What's interesting imo is that it's not just a list, there's actually some details so it can gain or lose credibility pretty fast depending on what we get in the next reveal (i.e. alt costumes or new game/remake/port reveals).

Note: It may seems like a typical 4chan leak (mainly because it's a 5chan leak, the format of the site seems very similar) but Ayumi assured us that japanese 'leak culture' was way different and that leaks and rumors were a rare sight there compare to the flood of fakes we get here via 4chan and such, so in that regard it's not to be mistaken as 'just another 4chan leak' (just to be clear).

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Guy on Twitter needs to get his facts straight. Leak was posted after Jokers reveal not before. The significance is that it predates the Mementos leak on 5chan and has stuff that lines up with what average and other leakers heard. That’s it.

Ornl

Smash Ace
5 human characters in DLC = fake :/
Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin were already humans. Only Piranha Plant is not human, which is not enough on a total of 10 new fighters (Smash4 + SmashU).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
5 human characters in DLC = fake :/
Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin were already humans. Only Piranha Plant is not human, which is not enough on a total of 10 new fighters (Smash4 + SmashU).
That’s your logic?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So after playing a bit of the NES Ninja Gaiden, I decided to support him.

Now here's my moveset, which is mostly inspired by his NES appearances, with a few hints of his modern design:

Unique mechanic #1: Ninja Acrobatics: Ryu can wall cling like Zero Suit Samus and Greninja, but unlike these kinds of characters, Ryu can scale up and down the walls. Crouching can also have Ryu scale along the ground before transitioning to climbing the walls.

Unique mechanic #2: Split Clones: By flicking the joystick as quickly as quickly tapping the Down Taunt for Snake Codecs or Palutena’s Guidance, Ryu can create a clone of himself to fight alongside him. Similarly to the easter eggs, it takes a long time to activate and use in battle. The clones act similarly to Nana when playing Ice Climbers, but with differences: it is invulnerable, only one can be out at a time, it lasts only for 10 seconds and has a 30 second cooldown.

Jab: A swift left jab, followed with a right knee and finishing off with a slash with the sword.

Side tilt: An iaijutsu-style sword swing. Inspired by the attack animation of the original Ninja Gaiden for NES.

U-tilt: A flip kick over him.

D-tilt: A sweeping kick.

Dash Attack: Ryu does a straight lunge with the sword.

Pummel: Strikes the opponent with an open palm.

F-throw: Ryu jumps up, grabs their shoulders and flips them over himself, slamming them into the ground in front of him. Like Ken’s B-throw, this can be great for mobility. Based on Kubikiri-Nage from Dead or Alive 5.

D-throw: Ryu jumps upwards and plummets downwards, slamming his fist on top of them. Based on Hane-Karakuri from Dead or Alive 5.

B-throw: Ryu flips over the opponent and kicks their back. Based on Hayabusa-Geri from Dead or Alive 5.

U-throw: Ryu uppercuts the opponent and performs a weaker version of his Up-B, listed below. Based on Izuna-Otoshi from Dead or Alive 5.

N-air: Ryu uses the Jump and Slash art. This has some decent range and has an active hitbox.

U- and D-air: Ryu uses the Art of the Vacuum Wave, which shoots wind blades both above and below Ryu simultaneously. This has very little horizontal range but each blade has some decent horizontal range. Whether you use U-air or D-air, this will be used.

F- and B-air: Ryu does the iaijutsu-style sword-swing that Side tilt does.

Neutral-B: Art of Fire Dragon Balls: Ryu jumps upwards and shoots a fireball in a downwards angle from his sword. The joystick can be tilted so he may jump in place, backwards or forwards. If used in the air, he won’t jump, but shoot the fireball instead. The fireball itself works similarly to

Side-B: Windmill Shuriken: Similar to the Belmonts’ Cross, except it keeps coming back to Ryu with each time it misses until after a few seconds, in which it will disappear.

Up-B: Izuna Drop: Ryu jumps upwards, doing sword slashes as he ascends. If he hits an opponent, he will grab them and hurtle downwards with them. This can cause Hayabucide, and can damage others upon impact with the ground.

Down-B: Art of the Fire Wheels: Ryu summons a wheel of fire that damages multiple times. This can protect Ryu from projectiles and deal damage for 4 seconds, but this limits his combo capability and can be canceled out if he is damaged or if he uses a different special. For example, if Olimar manages to throw a fire Pikmin that grapples onto Ryu in this state, the Fire Wheel will immediately disappear from him taking damage. The wheel can also be absorbed by PSI Magnet, pocketed by the Animal Crossing characters or nullified by Rosalina’s Down-B.

Final Smash: Art of the True Inferno: Ryu summons a giant serpentine dragon made of fire that will swirl around Ryu for a few seconds before ascending upwards. Any airborne opponents hit will be sent upwards as it strikes, similarly to Moltres.

Again, this is mostly using NES things, similarly to how Simon uses mostly some of the stuff from his Nintendo appearances, but I feel satisfied with what I made.

EDIT: Forgot a few things. :p

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I know nothing of Ninja Gaiden, but isn't Hayabusa kinda the last big NES hotshot with Simon in? I mean, hard not to support a ninja dude, especially a legacy ninja dude. I think he'd be cool.

Ornl

Smash Ace
That’s your logic?
It's shared thought, where every detail can count. There must be 25 non-humanoid non-echo fighters in SmashU. Only Pac-Man and Sonic are non-humanoid among the representations of third-party licenses. So, would the new DLCs escape the "Smash spirit" more? Mametchi and Amaterasu are not yet deconfirmed ^^

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's shared thought, where every detail can count. There must be 25 non-humanoid non-echo fighters in SmashU. Only Pac-Man and Sonic are non-humanoid among the representations of third-party licenses. So, would the new DLCs escape the "Smash spirit" more? Mametchi and Amaterasu are not yet deconfirmed ^^
That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day.
Neither Nintendo nor Sakurai are gonna care if the characters human or not.

Ornl

Smash Ace
That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day.
Neither Nintendo nor Sakurai are gonna care if the characters human or not.
It is a question of interpreting the specifications which is to want to propose "unique" and "different" characters. Apart from some Pokemon, nonhumanoid characters are distinguished from the classical Brawler/Swordfighter/Gunner.

I support Ryu Hayabusa, but I don't forget that he is another swordfighter, another ninja (Sheik, Greninja), another demon hunter (Bayonetta, Belmont, Joker), and another human. I said it, every detail counts.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It is a question of interpreting the specifications which is to want to propose "unique" and "different" characters. Apart from some Pokemon, nonhumanoid characters are distinguished from the classical Brawler/Swordfighter/Gunner.

I support Ryu Hayabusa, but I don't forget that he is another swordfighter, another ninja (Sheik, Greninja), another demon hunter (Bayonetta, Belmont, Joker), and another human. I said it, every detail counts.
Yeah and your interpretation of "unique" is ridiculous and not something Nintendo/Sakurai nor anyone else is realistically considering.

The details that you're speaking of are so vague and nondescript, that they can be twisted to apply to any character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Just dropped by, not sure why I didn't do it sooner, to support Ryu Hayabusa.

He's one of my childhood (videogame) Icons!
And probably the last NES superstar left to include.

Big NES NG fan, not too fan of the new ones.
But I really hope the leak is true and he gets in! (Alongside Doomguy no less!)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

All characters in Smash are alive (Sans ROB), so for the next fighter we’ll get Resident Evil Zombie (for variety).

Most characters in Smash have visible eyes, so look forward to 2B.

All the characters are characters, thus we are getting Piranha Plant as a fighter.

Wait, ****.

Ornl

Smash Ace
All characters in Smash are alive (Sans ROB), so for the next fighter we’ll get Resident Evil Zombie (for variety).
Most characters in Smash have visible eyes, so look forward to 2B.
All the characters are characters, thus we are getting Piranha Plant as a fighter.
This derision has nothing to do with the basic idea expressed. And...
Mega Man is a robot.

Top Bottom