• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Original thread by jamesster445 jamesster445
Special thanks to Jaguar360 Jaguar360

Who is Hayabusa?
Ryu Hayabusa is the protagonist of the Ninja Gaiden action series which debuted on the NES as well as a main character in the Dead or Alive fighting game series. In Ninja Gaiden, Ryu is on a quest for revenge against those that hurt his father, his village, etc and utilizes the Dragon Sword and various other ninja tools to achieve this end.

Why Hayabusa?
Ryu has three movesets to pull from. The NES Ninja Gaiden games, The Dead or Alive Fighting games, and The rebooted Ninja Gaiden series on the Xbox. All of this combined give Ryu a nearly limitless move pool.

The original Ninja Gaiden trilogy was an NES classic, giving him a long history with Nintendo. The DS saw an exclusive game as part of the rebooted series named Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword. The deluxe version of the third game of the rebooted series, Razor's Edge, was released first on the WiiU. And the 3DS got an exclusive Dead or Alive game called Dimensions.

Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja the publisher and developer respectively of DOA and Ninja Gaiden have had strong relationships with Nintendo these past few years working with them and creating moderate successes in Metroid: Other M, Hyrule Warriors, Pokemon Conquest and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Why not Hayabusa?
Sheik and Greninja are ninjas. Do we need a another one?
  • When was having too many ninjas ever a bad thing? But Ryu has access to various tools such as the Windmill Shuriken, and bow and arrows, Various melee weapons such as the Eclipse Scythe, Kusarigama, and Nunchucks. aswell as magical Ninpo abilities. He also has unique hand to hand techniques from the DOA games such as the Izuna drop. Sheik and Greninja also currently follow the speedy combo character archetype, whereas Hayabusa can be more of an all-rounder or power character who plays much differently.
His primary weapon is a sword. We have enough sword wielders!
  • None of the sword wielders use a Katana and, as shown in DOA Hayabusa is incredibly proficient in hand-to-hand combat. His other weapon choices from Ninja Gaiden also make him unique.

Moveset Theories

Today let’s talk about a character that has surprisingly fallen under the radar, for real this time. But before we do that I’d like to rant a little bit.

Why does everyone say Nintendo and Ubisoft have a good relationship? If they’re friends, Ubisoft is that guy that only hangs out when Nintendo is having a party but always leaves when its time to clean up. Ubisoft only makes exclusive software on successful software. They turned what was a Wii U exclusive a multi-platform title once the Wii U was failing. To be fair, that is business.

But the character I have today is from a company that should be considered a true friend. They’ve worked together releasing exclusive content for even a dying console like the Wii U. But more importantly they’ve stuck together despite, nay in spite of the fact that they stumbled and failed together.

This is my most wanted Third Party Character and the mascot of Tecmo Koei.

As always let me know what you think.

Weight: 100
Dashing speed: Around Mario's
Height: Around Marth's
Air speed: Around Sheik's
Falling speed: Around ZSS's

Hayabusa carries his Dragon Sword on his back and with of use it in some moves
Jab 1: Straight punch with little to no knockback (2%)
Jab 2: High kick with little knockback (3%)
Jab 3: High kick with the other leg; decent-good knockback (All based off of Hayabusa's PKK string in DOA) (5%)
Down Tilt: Low sweep (Based off of down H+K in DOA) (7%)
Side Tilt: Slashes forward with sword (10%)
Up Tilt: Does a handstand kick that launches and juggles opponents (8%)
Down Smash: Slashes downwards across his body; like Meta Knight's (16% uncharged, 22% charged)
Side Smash: Does a spinning kick (like in the kick part of his ->PK) (14% uncharged, 20% charged)
Up Smash: Slashes upwards in an arc (15% uncharged, 21% charged)
Dash Attack: Does a rolling kick (Based off of his Ongoyin ->K) (10%)

Neutral Aerial: Three horizontal kicks; the last one has decent knockback (Based off of H+KKK) (5% + 4% + 8%)
Side Aerial: Slashes forward twice; good knockback on second (8% + 9%)
Back Aerial: Does a backward slash with sword (14%)
Up Aerial: Swings sword upwards (12%)
Down Aerial: Divekick (11%)
Air throw: Izuna drop; Grabs opponent and spirals down; good knockback (13%)

Pummel: Punches
Forward throw: Does a mini, sideways Izuna drop (9%)
Back throw: Goes back and lands on the opponent, similarly to Kirby; Busacide is not possible (<-T in DOA) (8%)
Up throw: Does the first part of the Izuna Otoshi; throws upwards (5%)
Down throw: Down T in DOA; like Sheik's down throw (7%)

Neutral special: Fiend's Bane Bow - shoots a two-pronged arrow straight forward; cannot charge (4%) (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2010 ... earrow.jpg)
Side special: Helicopter Kick - Does a series of 6 kicks that launch Hayabusa forward (2% per hit) (while rising H+K/Gunro Bangoku-Kyaku in DOA5 Ultimate)
Up special: Teleport - disappears and reappears in a cloud of smoke, like in Sheik's Vanish, but without the explosion. He can follow up with either a divekick or a Guillotine throw air grab (a.ka. up T in DOA). (divekick- 11%, throw- 12%)
Down special: Izuna Otoshi/Drop - Throws opponent into the air, teleports up and spirals downwards powerfully; command grab (15%)
Final smash: Ninpo - shoots a large blast of dark blue ninpo magic like in his DOA5 power blow

Move reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3bm_AImIiE
Jab combo: 0:51
Side smash: 1:00
Side special: 2:02
Neutral aerial: 2:53
Low tilt: 3:00
Out of teleport throw: 3:04
Back throw: 3:09
Down throw: 3:11
Down special/air grab/up throw: 3:32
Down aerial/Out of teleport attack: 4:43
Dash attack: 4:46
Final Smash (1:01): https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... d40fjEL1gI

I believe I have a moveset ready for Ryu Hayabusa. I approached this moveset using Dead or Alive and both classic and modern Ninja Gaiden games. I imagined him as a swift and effective fighter. Here's his moveset in spoilers below.

First with his special attacks
Default Special
Neutral - Windmill Shuriken. I had this working like the classic Ninja Gaiden, but only goes behind Ryu once if it does.

Side - Phantom Double. This sends out a phantom to strike and Ryu strikes too. The phantom can be destroyed.

Up - Wind Run Technique. I had him perform the Wind Run Technique for a recovery.

Down - Art of Flame Wheels. I had this Ninpo make Hayabusa stationary to cover him.

First Custom set
Neutral - Art of Ice Storms. I used a variant of this Ninpo from the DS game, Dragon Sword.

Side - Bullet Slice. I had a single sword slice destroy a projectile. This is different from other projectile manipulation moves. The sword slice itself does damage as well.

Up - Grappling Hook. I pulled this from Hayabusa's ending in Dead or Alive 4.

Down - Sabaki. Just a counter from his games.

Second Custom Set
Neutral - Fiend's Bane Bow. I had this be more freely aimed like Pit, but can't control the arrows. Also, I found this bow better to use than the Strong Bow I originally planned.

Side - Violent Wind. A high speed slash Would function similar to the Fox Illusion, just with a sword.

Up - Fudo-Utsusemi. A wind like teleporting technique. Nothing else about that.

Down - Art of the Hurricane. I used creative licensing to have a small protective wind barrier that launches foes upward.

Final Smash - Art of True Inferno. Looking at this during research gave me a wow factor. This is really a very good way to say goodbye to all foes, by using a fire dragon made from ninja ki and decimating foes with it.

Now, for his air attacks.
Neutral Air: Uses the sword while spinning. This is just like his classic Ninja Gaiden attack with an item.

Forward Air: Performs two swipes with the Falcon's Talons. I used this not only to have weapon variety, but to give some combo potential.

Back Air: Uses one tonfa to hit behind him. The Tonfas used are designed like the modern Ninja Gaiden games. This also applies to all tonfa use.

Down Air: Smacks the foe with the Lunar Staff. I didn't have this spike or meteor due to balancing its range.

Up Air: Slices upward in a arc with the Dragon Sword. The sword swipe should cover any threats from above.

Here are his ground attacks and his throws.
Jab: Press once for a punch. Press again for a kick. Press one more time to complete the Hato-Geri.This comes from the Dead or Alive games.

Side Tilt: Swipes forward with the Dragon Sword like he does in the NES titles.

Up Tilt: Performs Onibishi. His upward kick should lift up foes.

Down Tilt: Crouches and uses tonfas. Nothing special except for a couching tonfa strike.

Side Smash: Performs the Gao-Sho. This is chargable. This comes directly from Dead or Alive games.

Up Smash: Hayabusa does a a backflip. I couldn't think much else and I preferred move variety,

Down Smash: Strikes with tonfas both forward and back. This functions like Lucario's down smash, except Hayabusa has tonfas.

Dash Attack: Hayabusa twirls the Lunar Staff. He twirls the staff to multi-hit foes.

Get Up: Twirls the Lunar Staff hitting forward and back.

Throws
Pummel: Uses knee strikes. I wanted a fast hitting pummel for Hayabusa.

Forward: Punches his foe and then performs the Kubikiri-Nage. This front flips Hayabusa and tosses foes forward.

Back: Hayabusa uses both feet to launch foes behind him. This foot launch explains itself.

Down: Quickly disappears and reappears in a two foot stomp. This happens very fast and would be a great combo starter.

Up: Kicks foes upward and performs the Izuna Drop. This well liked drop I consider the "Kill Throw" of all throws of this moveset.

Costumes
Jaguar360's sugesstions

Palette swaps/costumes:
[*]Signature Legendary Black Falcon costume: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... Render.png
[*]White version of default: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... ume_03.jpg
[*]Costume from original Ninja Gaiden; blue shozuku: http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... ume_02.jpg
[*]Red recolor of Ninja Gaiden 1 costume
[*]Unmasked outfit with black and silver ninja armor; shows hair in ponytail: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... Screen.jpg
[*]White version of above: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2010 ... _cos03.jpg

Jamesster445's suggestions

Stage
Sky City Tokyo
Music

Suggested by jamesster445

Pushing Onward
The theme of the first level of the first NES game. This would be the theme that would get a remixed version.
Unbreakable Determination
A theme from the first game I found particularly memorable. This could either stand on it's own or as part of an NES medley similar to a lot of the Megaman themes
Vigaku
A Dead or Alive theme and my personal favorite. Though in all fairness you could include any of them.
Main Theme
The Main theme from Ninja Gaiden 2 had a more intense feel than the version from the first Xbox game.
Go the Distance
My favorite theme from the Xbox game.
Doku's theme
Obligatory boss battle theme.

Support?

Official Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/Hayabusa4Smash

Fellow Ninjas

Will Koei Tecmo get their rep in this time? Feel free to suggest movesets, costumes, stages and stage music!

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Still support that sexy ninja.

Sure I still want a Fatal Frame character, but he deserves it more for being Tecmo's most iconic character. Plus, who doesn't want a ninja in Smash? :p

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Still support and I'm holding out one hope that Tecmo could approach Sakurai one day.

He
's a pretty big deal despite a few faulty games and I can see him as that last hype third party inclusion. Well, the same can be said for countless others around here.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I am still a supporter. Besides, I would like to see Koei Techmo get involved. Ryu Hayabusa still has a unique concept out of ninja characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I could definitely see it happening. Koei Tecmo seems to be pretty close to Nintendo, seeing as they've been trusted with making major releases for not one but two of their franchises (at least).

I haven't played much of the Ninja Gaiden games (Mega Man and Castlevania were hard enough, and from what little I played of them, the 3D games are at least as frustrating), but he definitely seems like a possibility since he's more or less the face of Koei Tecmo and his design stands out among Smash characters.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
All of my support for this man. I'm still surprised how little mention of him there is among talk of third parties. Koei tecmo is a fairly big company. They and Nintendo have good relations going way back, but especially now I'd say with KT handling the Warriors spin-offs of TLOZ/FE and the co-ownership of Fatal Frame. Ninja Gaiden was pretty big in the NES days and Ryu still makes regular appearances in the modern NG games plus DOA.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I often wondered why Hayabusa is often ignored and I think I figured it out after seeing Source Gaming's Xbox Smash roster.

Do people think Hayabusa is tied to Xbox?

This if anything is similar to how Cloud is a "Sony" character. But I get it, Itagaki developed mostly for Xbox and 360, Hayabusa armor in Halo 3, a Spartan in DoA4. Its food for thought, but what do you think?

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I often wondered why Hayabusa is often ignored and I think I figured it out after seeing Source Gaming's Xbox Smash roster.

This if anything is similar to how Cloud is a "Sony" character. But I get it, Itagaki developed mostly for Xbox and 360, Hayabusa armor in Halo 3, a Spartan in DoA4. Its food for thought, but what do you think?
I think people just pass him up as a viable Smash option, since there are so many that could come in.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think people just pass him up as a viable Smash option, since there are so many that could come in.
Or him feeling too mature for Smash.

But Snake and Bayonetta's existence should tear that argument apart.

There's no reason to really ignore his status as an icon unless you never played a Ninja Gaiden game before.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

I wouldn't be surprised. My first games with Hayabusa were DOA3, DOA Ultimate and DOA4 on Xbox and 360 after all. However, I think it's a different case than Cloud since his only big game was on PS1 whereas Hayabusa started on Nintendo and since Ninja Gaiden 2/DOA5, we've seen his franchises move towards other platforms more, especially Playstation. I think that he's just less in the public view than other characters, plus he's from a mainly M-rated series. His case is also pretty similar to Snake's though, so idk.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Definitely support. If there's any Tecmo character that deserves to get in it is definitely Hayabusa. We can't really call him Ryu anymore.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'd definitely be down with this. IGN made a point with Brawl and I think it bears repeating - we still don't have an asian swordsman in Smash (Unless you count a couple of the Mii costumes). I'd love to see another combo-based character get in too.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...-ending-special-heartfelt-message-team-ninja/

RIP DOA5

I for one look forward to whatever projects Team Ninja decides to move on with. Whether it be Ninja Gaiden 4 or an eventual DOA6, or even something else.

That said the handling of this announcement was so bad. They built an announcement up like they were going to introduce a new game. And then they make this feels video. It's no wonder a LOT of people think they just killed the series.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Absolutely on board. We're definitely missing so many staples of the ninja identity even with Shiek and Greninja (they only really use smokebombs and needles/shuriken)

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Nioh is complete,
Dead or Alive 5 support has concluded.
They've already released a Warriors for this year. Granted they are still supporting DW9 and FEW

Yeah I don't really know what Team Ninja is up to but they should be getting started on a Ninja Gaiden 4. It's high time that they started working on one. Tecmo can only make so many Warriors games before they start losing steam, except they already have.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hello Ninja Gaiden fans, I'm sure most of you want a place to chill and talk about the chances of Ryu joining the battle with a bunch of other underrated characters. That why I made the Smash Underdogs server, a place where we can all unite and talk about Smash.

https://discord.gg/x897WQn

Think about it if you will.

patriot712

Smash Rookie
I really want Hayabusa and Ayane in 5mash (with Hayabusa representing Ninja Gaiden and Ayane representing Dead or Alive).

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I definitely want to see the idea of a 'heavier' ninja. I know Ryu isn't exactly slow but he's up against Shiek and Greninja so I'd love to see some interesting movement and trickery on a slightly slower character.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I wonder if Tecmo still has plans for a new Ninja Gaiden game.

It's been so long since Razor's Edge was a thing.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I would love to see Ryu Hayabusa join the roster.

If Sakurai maintains his focus on Japanese gaming rather than Western, I could definitely see Koei Tecmo getting a rep.

You know it wouldn't surprise me either if it ended up being two Tecmo characters, one being Ryu Hayabusa while the other being a character like Linkle or something.

The "Big Six" JPN companies.

This group of third parties wouldn't be overtly hype, but it would be satisfying.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I wonder if Tecmo still has plans for a new Ninja Gaiden game.

It's been so long since Razor's Edge was a thing.
Tecmo should be doing something considering the series turns 30 this year. I imagine it will be announced at E3 if anything.

I would love to see Ryu Hayabusa join the roster.

If Sakurai maintains his focus on Japanese gaming rather than Western, I could definitely see Koei Tecmo getting a rep.

You know it wouldn't surprise me either if it ended up being two Tecmo characters, one being Ryu Hayabusa while the other being a character like Linkle or something.

The "Big Six" JPN companies.

This group of third parties wouldn't be overtly hype, but it would be satisfying.
Those are definitely the big companies of Japan. Though it would be surreal to see Namco and Tecmo characters together considering that the companies don't get along. Then again Nintendo is running the project.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Those are definitely the big companies of Japan. Though it would be surreal to see Namco and Tecmo characters together considering that the companies don't get along. Then again Nintendo is running the project.
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by those companies not getting along? I know they've worked together in the past on the One Piece Pirate Warriors series, but that's all I know about a connection between the two.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by those companies not getting along? I know they've worked together in the past on the One Piece Pirate Warriors series, but that's all I know about a connection between the two.
I might be outdated with the info but...

Yonobu Itagaki the former head of Team Ninja had a long running feud with Harada, the producer of Tekken.

I know Itagaki no longer works with Tecmo for a while now. But I'm not sure exactly what the current relationship between these two entities are, but last I checked they still had beef.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace

I am one of those fans that thinks Ryu Hayabusa has a stronger connection to Xbox. On one hand; I do acknowledge that Hayabusa got his start on a Nintendo console. On the other hand; Hayabusa's most iconic design and games were on the Xbox. Both Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive became huge on Xbox.

I will also say that while I'd prefer Hayabusa in a Xbox Crossover I'd be fine with him in Smash Bros.

Speaking of which; If Microsoft did their own crossover and had Ryu Hayabusa in it; would his inclusion make you want to play it?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Why must there always be a discussion of the 'Xbox' crossover?

Why must games be separate? I understand Microsoft and Nintendo themselves not wanting to advertise eachothers game. But why do fans 'prefer a character to be in an Xbox crossover'. Like, what do you get out of segregating your favourite characters.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Yes, I have a preference. No, I would get too deep into it here. I'm not saying he can't be in both. I just like the idea of my favorite Xbox characters fighting with or against each other much like any crossover. Dedicated crossovers have always been a thing. Nintendo, Playstation, Capcom, Marvel, DC, etc. all have dedicated crossovers. Nintendo basically has their own world and fills it with all their characters plus a few guests. I would like Xbox to have a shot at it.

That said; Hayabusa's connection to Nintendo seems fair enough that there shouldn't be any real issue.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I am one of those fans that thinks Ryu Hayabusa has a stronger connection to Xbox. On one hand; I do acknowledge that Hayabusa got his start on a Nintendo console. On the other hand; Hayabusa's most iconic design and games were on the Xbox. Both Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive became huge on Xbox.

I will also say that while I'd prefer Hayabusa in a Xbox Crossover I'd be fine with him in Smash Bros.

Speaking of which; If Microsoft did their own crossover and had Ryu Hayabusa in it; would his inclusion make you want to play it?
I oddly understand where you're coming from. I'm actually one of the people that thinks PlayStation AllStars probably could've been saved if Crash Or Cloud were there.

The difference here is that Hayabusa did get his start on the NES, as opposed to Crash. It's also worth pointing out that during Itagaki reign with the Xbox, both the sigma games and the DS game were made. The character is more or less a free agent these days.

But to answer your other question, regarding an Xbox Smash? Yeah probably if the games fun.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Jaguar, you might want to update my moveset in the OP.

Today let’s talk about a character that has surprisingly fallen under the radar, for real this time. But before we do that I’d like to rant a little bit.

Why does everyone say Nintendo and Ubisoft have a good relationship? If they’re friends, Ubisoft is that guy that only hangs out when Nintendo is having a party but always leaves when its time to clean up. Ubisoft only makes exclusive software on successful software. They turned what was a Wii U exclusive a multi-platform title once the Wii U was failing. To be fair, that is business.

But the character I have today is from a company that should be considered a true friend. They’ve worked together releasing exclusive content for even a dying console like the Wii U. But more importantly they’ve stuck together despite, nay in spite of the fact that they stumbled and failed together.

This is my most wanted Third Party Character and the mascot of Tecmo Koei.

As always let me know what you think.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Now that we know all the major third party companies are back into it. (Konami, Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix)

I can't help but feel out of all these major Japanese gaming companies Tecmo Koei is still not involved, is a glaring shame.

Ryu Hayabusa shares a commonality with a lot of these other third party characters...

Final Fantasy, Pac-Man, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Metal Gear all had their series on the NES and existed during that NES/ Arcade era.
As did Ninja Gaiden!

With Tecmo Koei's involvement... it wouldn't only mean the possibilities of Ryu Hayabusa's playable inclusion... but also Hyrule Warriors content as well!

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
The only Ninja Gaiden game I've played is Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor'sEdge for my Wii U. It's OK, I guess. I support!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
As much as Nintendo has been working with Koei lately it'd surprise me if they don't at least get some ATs in Smash out of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom