• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Figured I’d pop in this thread before tomorrow.

Really rootin’ for Ryu right now. He’s gradually become my most anticipated character. I just played through NG2S again this weekend and was reminded just how ****ing awesome it would be to have the Ultimate Ninja in Smash. I mean how does Sakurai look at the Izuna Drop and think that this doesn’t need to be added to Smash immediately.

Whether Hayabusa gets in or not, it’s been a pleasant experience chatting with you all. Here’s hoping that there is a bright future for Ninja Gaiden (still hoping that Nioh 3 ties into Ninja Gaiden with Ryu possibly being the protagonist)

See you guys on the other side, and for those of you who don’t plan on checking in after the reveal, I wish you the best. Oh! And since someone’s gotta do it…

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I’m perfectly fine with either a character from an already repped series or not (depending on which one it is, of course). If it’s a 3rd party I just wish for it to be a cool character who has a strong legacy with the big N like Ryu Hayabusa, Bill Rizer, Conker, Fulgore, Dr. Eggman, etc.
I’d cringe if it’s a character that’s hardly or (specially) not at all associated with Nintendo like Master Chief, Kratos, Heavy or Lara Croft, however I doubt any of these are happening.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
Pessimistic. I'm expecting it's going to be a gen. 8 Pokemon or a character from Fire Emblem Heroes, with a bunch of highly-requested characters as Mii costumes. (every Mii costume wave in FP2 has included at least one character that I wanted or expected, and I'm guessing that trend will continue)
It's probably a healthy attitude to keep expectations in check like that. While I personally don't think it's going to be one of the 2 worst cases mentioned, it could be anything one might not care about.
This attitude helped in certain situations. I went into this year's E3 not expecting anything special, but was then greeted by my personally most hyped Smash reveal of all time. Not having huge expectations made me even more excited when it actually happened.

Let's just all hope our boy actually shows up in the reveal today and Koei Tecmo finally gets the acknowledgement in Smash it deserves. But always be prepared for it to be someone you may not be excited or happy about to not be too disappointed if it's not panning out.
But if Koei Tecmo wouldn't even manage to get a Mii Costume today, I would be seriously questioning what happened for them to not be treated in Smash like the close partner they are for Nintendo.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Hayabusa feels like a base character third party character next time like how Castlevania got into the base roster this time. Maybe next time, there’s not that many classic NES era icons left!

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Ah! Well...if anybody ever get a chance to interview Nintendo or Koei Tecmo, please ask them why none of their characters made it in. It's a legit question.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Ah! Well...if anybody ever get a chance to interview Nintendo or Koei Tecmo, please ask them why none of their characters made it in. It's a legitimate question.
It really is a legit question. A few people in the FP11 thread were talking about how the lack of Hayabusa appearing in any form is one of the biggest mysteries of this game. Now that it's all said and done, hopefully KT can honestly explain what happened. The lack of NG/DoA/Warriors content really is a head scratcher. Not even a Mii costume for the Ultimate Ninja?

There's always next game! Luckily, Hayabusa will always be a legacy character and one of the memorable characters from the NES. He isn't just a fad, but a well established icon of gaming who will always be mentioned when discussing Smash characters. It may take another decade, but I do feel confident that he'll get his time.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Given the recent amount of fan demand for Ryu, Ninja Gaiden’s strong history with Nintendo and the strong tight knit partnership between Nintendo and KT, the fact that Ryu Hayabusa didn’t even get a Mii costume is questionable as hell. Not a complaint tho, just an observation. Couldn’t care less about Mii costumes, personally.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Given the recent amount of fan demand for Ryu, Ninja Gaiden’s strong history with Nintendo and the strong tight knit partnership between Nintendo and KT, the fact that Ryu Hayabusa didn’t even get a Mii costume is questionable as hell. Not a complaint tho, just an observation. Couldn’t care less about Mii costumes, personally.
Heck, I probably would have been okay with a Mii costume. Ninja Gaiden not getting anything at all? No...I'm not going to just ignore that. I really want to know what the heck happened. There's no way neither Nintendo or Koei Tecmo approached each other about a character in Smash.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
And that’s a wrap on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! I did say a long time ago that if Yuri Kozukata was the KOEI TECMO rep I would be satisfied and that still holds true. Thank you so much Mr. Sakurai for everything, Sora looks awesome and I can’t wait for what happens next in the series, goodbye everyone, until next time! https://twitter.com/retroroter/status/1445453296823463937?s=21

cybersai

Smash Ace
At least via those interviews from a few months back the developers are well aware fans want Ryu for Smash and that they're "waiting for their invite" which means they want it to happen.

Next Smash it is then...even if it'll be a wait.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
At least via those interviews from a few months back the developers are well aware fans want Ryu for Smash and that they're "waiting for their invite" which means they want it to happen.

Next Smash it is then...even if it'll be a wait.
Yeah at least that's a glimmer of hope for the future. Hopefully with that knowledge in mind one side will approach the other for next Smash's negotiations. I'm honestly baffled Koei-Tecmo didn't get any content at all of any series 100% owned by them.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Well, that's over and done with and my worst fear became a reality, well not really because I expected Koei Tecmo to get nothing. Now I'm almost convinced they did something wrong. Oh well, no way to know. Here's to hoping Nintendo collaborates with KT in assisting in development of the next Smash so they are practically guaranteed a fighter like Namco. Whether that fighter would be Ryu Hayabusa first is also entirely up to Koei Tecmo because they still do have bigger series like Dynasty Warriors. Till then, cheers!

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Well I want to be mad that I was denied Hayabusa a 5th time, but I won't. I must begrudgingly congratulate the KH fans. Till next time.

Hopefully there is something in the future for Ninja Gaiden as a series. I hope the Master Collection from this year does well enough that KT is interested in making a new Ninja Gaiden.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Ah! Well...if anybody ever get a chance to interview Nintendo or Koei Tecmo, please ask them why none of their characters made it in. It's a legit question.
Really think KOEI could had got one fighter slot, too bad none of them got the invite.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I late coming back here, but oh well. We witnessed an actual miracle take place yesterday! I cannot believe Sakurai actually managed to get Sora for Smash Ultimate! The only reason Sora wasn't on my most-wanted list for the last few years is because I just resigned myself to the likelihood that Sakurai and Nintendo wouldn't be able to get the rights for Sora from Disney. I didn't believe the leak surrounding him from last week either. I was wrong on both counts, not to mention wrong on my final predictions for Ryu Hayabusa 😖 But I have never been more happy to be wrong in my life! Thank you Sakurai, Nintendo, Bandai Namco, Disney and Square Enix for bringing Sora and Kingdom Hearts to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! I can't believe I live in a timeline where Mario, Link, Banjo-Kazooie, Sora, Cloud Strife, Sephiroth, Joker, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Ryu, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Solid Snake, Simon Belmont, Kazuya Mishima, Terry Bogard, and all of my other favorite Nintendo characters from my childhood are all in the same game!

I am a bit bummed that I was wrong about Ryu Hayabusa joining the game so many times up until the end. And I thought for sure that Koei Tecmo would get a fighter (and deserved one)... But I guess I can settle for what I can get, and consider Byleth as the Koei Tecmo fighter for Ultimate, even if it's in a broad sense, since they were instrumental in helping with the development of Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

And with that, I think I'm done here. I don't think I need to come back here now that Smash Ultimate is finished. Thanks for having me on this forum guys, and best of luck with Ryu Hayabusa in the future 👋👋👋👋

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I late coming back here, but oh well. We witnessed an actual miracle take place yesterday! I cannot believe Sakurai actually managed to get Sora for Smash Ultimate! The only reason Sora wasn't on my most-wanted list for the last few years is because I just resigned myself to the likelihood that Sakurai and Nintendo wouldn't be able to get the rights for Sora from Disney. I didn't believe the leak surrounding him from last week either. I was wrong on both counts, not to mention wrong on my final predictions for Ryu Hayabusa 😖 But I have never been more happy to be wrong in my life! Thank you Sakurai, Nintendo, Bandai Namco, Disney and Square Enix for bringing Sora and Kingdom Hearts to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! I can't believe I live in a timeline where Mario, Link, Banjo-Kazooie, Sora, Cloud Strife, Sephiroth, Joker, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Ryu, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Solid Snake, Simon Belmont, Kazuya Mishima, Terry Bogard, and all of my other favorite Nintendo characters from my childhood are all in the same game!

I am a bit bummed that I was wrong about Ryu Hayabusa joining the game so many times up until the end. And I thought for sure that Koei Tecmo would get a fighter (and deserved one)... But I guess I can settle for what I can get, and consider Byleth as the Koei Tecmo fighter for Ultimate, even if it's in a broad sense, since they were instrumental in helping with the development of Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

And with that, I think I'm done here. I don't think I need to come back here now that Smash Ultimate is finished. Thanks for having me on this forum guys, and best of luck with Ryu Hayabusa in the future 👋👋👋👋
Man, I said the same thing about being done with this forum when Brawl was finished haha.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
If Koei and Nintendo keep at it with their partnership I feel like Ryu is inevitable. I'd even bet him being the third party rep with classic history like Simon was in Smash Ultimate for the next game. It's crazy how much more support he got in this game and hope in a couple of years we get Ninja Gaiden 4 and Ryu in Smash! It's been fun!

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I’d like too leave this as my final message on this board (at least until the next Super Smash Bros. is announced) by teasing my biggest project yet, introducing Universal Wars (WIP Title) a project that brings together many beloved characters from across the gaming sphere into a very long and exciting adventure full of interaction and dream mashups. I will share more information once it is ready and that may be awhile from now but I am happy with the way It’s coming along, it’s becoming even cooler than I initially envisioned it to be! More will be announced on my Twitter when the time is right: https://twitter.com/retroroter?lang=en
Thank you all so much for letting me be on this board and support not only Ryu Hayabusa but many other characters on this site and I truly can’t wait too share more about this project when it’s done
CCF4A3DA-B34C-4B60-B445-846E4D5A5FF1.jpeg

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Well, I'll still be here, showing my support for Hayabusa. Like I said, I'm very confident in the support he'll get by the next game. I think he'll definitely be the next Mega Man or Simon Belmont, as another big NES icon that deserves to be in Smash. Assuming nothing changes between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo by that point, he'll still have plenty of things going for him around that time. So I'm not worried about his chances.

But I also want to make sure that my other MWs, Billy and Jimmy Lee, will have a good chance too. Other than their iconic status and history on Nintendo consoles, they don't have as much going for them as Hayabusa does. They're not heavily requested nor do their company have any kind of close partnership with Nintendo. So while I'm confident in Hayabusa's chances, I'm not sure about theirs. River City getting a spirit event could be a foot-in-the-door but the support definitely has to be there for them too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom