• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Justice 3 - NESS Qualifier - Results Thread

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, yesterday was pretty crazy. We definitely didn't expect it to blow up quite as much as it did. Before the event I was printing out registration sheets numbered 1-100 and thought to myself "Should I print out another 20 spots? Nah I doubt we'll need them." Surely enough, we did. a whopping 125 people were in the venue, with 117 of those entering singles.

Now, it was simply fantastic seeing that many people show up. Unfortunately, it led to a lot of complications and I'm really sorry for that :(. The five of us really wanted to do so much more with this event, but it became very clear that we were completely caught off guard and unprepared. As a result, both the doubles event (which had 26 teams) and the amateur bracket had to be cut. I feel awful that the doubles event had to be cut because of the whole "teams is dead" thing, and I hate to be contributing to that in any way. On top of that, I'm really sorry for needing to cut the amateur bracket because there were sooooooooo many faces there that I haven't seen before, and all of us really wanted to give them as much as we could to make their first events enjoyable so that they would hopefully come to another. It is my hope that they still managed to enjoy themselves enough to come to another event, whether it's one of ours or not.

With all of that said, I doubt any of us can describe just how happy and excited we were to see that many people show up to our event. Or any Tri-state local for that matter. Lately, it has felt like this region was the only one not seeing a boom after the documentary and EVO, and it was great to see that it's still growing after all.

It was pretty obvious that we didn't have enough raw setups, chairs, or tables to support this many people, but we'll be sure to make this the last time we lack any of those things.

Oh, and we're certainly curious of what you all thought about the bag check idea. A big worry we had was that people would feel uncomfortable not being able to just reach into their bag whenever they wanted. As far as I know, nothing was stolen (pleeeeeeeease let me know if anything was) so I would like to think it worked, but hey, maybe nothing would've been anyway. Of course, everyone was really cooperative, nobody ever just tried to get their bag without telling anyone which helped a lot.

Finally, I just want to thank everyone not just for coming, but for being so supportive. There's no way I could begin to remember the innumerable amount of people that offered to help throughout the day. I do, however, remember how incredibly helpful Alex Strife and MattDotZeb were. You guys were super supportive and this event would have been so ridiculously difficult without your help. ryobeat did something too

Without further ado, the results:
Challonge link:
http://challonge.com/justice3

Results:
1: VGBC|Hax
2: CTRL|The Moon
3: Swiftbass
4: SS|Soft
5: Dudutsai
5: CTRL|DJ Nintendo
7: Zanguzen
7: NY Joey
9: Mattdotzeb
9: Slox
9: Green Ranger
9: OTG
13: Spawn
13: Meta K Faust
13: Darktooth
13: Tian
17: Ryobeat (Forfeit in losers)
17: Minty
17: Phish-it
17: SS| PB&J
17: Apex|Reno
17: PC Chris
17: Kip
17: Vino
25: Destructocon
25: P/
25: Dizzkidboogie
25: Nuro
25: Sled
25: Toxic(Forfeit in losers Round 3)
25: Ritz
25: Shminkledorf
33: Hectohertz
33: Chess
33: Future
33: Scuba Steve
33: SmokeyBluntz
33: Robin
33: Barbie
33: Son2
33: Slothbear
33: Doom
33: Kofi
33: Shot
33: Inaba
33: Niz
33: Master of Bluntz
49: GMO
49: Termina Bay
49: Kiba
49: Q
49: RoldGold
49: Blue Lightning
49: Dahlia
49: Kaimen
49: Bred
49: Soniv
49: The Bronze Kneecap
49: Owl
49: J Solo
49: Gas Light
49: Havok

I'm working out the pools now, but I seem to be missing the sheet for pool 5, which should consist of Mattdotzeb, Vino, Donkey2kong, Barbie, Mr. E, Tsblo, Doctor Pumpkin, Doctor Jovan(?)
If you guys could contact me with any set scores you remember, I'd really like to piece the pool back together. Thanks.

Oh and by the way guys, some people didn't seem to take their refunds from the teams event.
I have Gas Light, Black Magic, DJ Nintendo, Ray, Ramen, Spawn, and WX written down as never having gotten a refund. If that's true, please let me know and I'll make sure to give it to you the next time we see each other.

Be sure to check out
http://newenglandsmash.com/ness-2014/
for information on the NESS Circuit.

See you guys next time :)

Last edited:

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
Sick tournament, guys, thanks so much for running this. Your decisions made sense and it all ended up being a real fun time. Just surprised that you would shout out Alex Strife and MDZ for their help but not Zanguzen the pro Pool #14 captain. Whatever, I'm not even mad. Some specific shout-outs:

Dudutsai, you're soo good man - I'm glad to see you're traveling to all these tournaments and showing out-of-region your skills. I'm also glad you proved that it was indeed you who were carrying us in teams at GOML haha. Looking forward to seeing you at SKTAR.

Slox, what a surprise that our match ended up going to Game 3 and mad close, yet again. I won't be surprised if I see you bust out Sheik, Peach or some other unused character next time we play and still beat me.

Reno, you outplayed me practically the whole match, and I honestly felt so overwhelmed that my strategy really became "throw out moves at strange times and hope for the best". Good games dude, and shame we couldn't bop everyone in teams.

Darktooth, the rising Long Island legend. Your Friday momentum carried quite well into this tournament. You're hilarious and improving at a sick rate - good stuff.

UnknownForce, definitely looking forward to seeing you at MLG or some other tourny - I really enjoy talking to you and hanging as always. Good games as well.

Green Ranger, you are such an awesome guy and a hell of a player lol - wish we could have finished our MM. Not sure when I'll see you next but hopefully we can play more then.

Hax, you're a beast, even when you're not 3/4-stocking me with 0-to-deaths every hit like you frequently do in friendlies lol - good stuff taking the tourny.

S0ft - nice talking to you as always and good job in the tournament. Really hope to play some friendlies with you - maybe while you're in Delaware before SKTAR?

And everyone else I played in pools and early rounds, plus friendlies/MMs, good games. Oh yeah and PC/OTG/Kip, it was really cool seeing you guys again. Wish we could have actually played at least 1 game, but at least we got to talk.

Anyway, till next time, everyone! Sorry if I missed particular people - just going off the top of my head. And thanks again to the TOs - great event.

EDIT: Oh, totally forgot to shout-out PB&J and SS for the stream! Thanks again for that!

Last edited:

Max?

Smash Champion
Fun tourney. Good seeing everyone. Shoutouts to the TO's, everyone I played, all the homies that I haven't seen in forever, and all the new faces who are the future and hope of this scene. I'm glad I got to play with so many of you and get to know you. Everyone should come out to my smashfests that I hold on Mondays. No Johns! If you're interested, PM me or add me on Facebook. There were too many people who I really wanted to play but didn't get a chance to (zang, slox, tian, and a few others come to mind).... til next time!

GGs

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Sick tournament, guys, thanks so much for running this. Your decisions made sense and it all ended up being a real fun time. Just surprised that you would shout out Alex Strife and MDZ for their help but not Zanguzen the pro Pool #14 captain. Whatever, I'm not even mad. Some specific shout-outs:
you did an awful job

also i'm deeply disappointed in your shout outs. not even 10 pages long, it's like you don't even care about anyone

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
This tournament was absolutely amazing. Shoutouts to the Streamer, the TOs, and everyone who helped out!(Also, I see you Smuckers, I helped all day; no special thanks. It's all good, Zang and I too good anyways). Anyways, shoutouts:

2: CTRL|The Moon : Legit placing! Next time, take that SET.
5: Dudutsai: Amazinggggggg Jigglypuff. You tore through the losers bracket, good stuff. I hope to play you next time, our set was a lot of fun!
5: CTRL|DJ Nintendo: PROM! And good stuff this tournament, though I think you can place Top 3 ;)
7: Zanguzen: THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for the ride. You saved me from never attending a tournament again LOL. I owe you dinner at SKTAR, my treat. Also good **** beating Slox and Reno!
7: NY Joey: THE GOAT
9: Slox: Sad we never got to play in tournament :/ Though that turnip was too legit in friendlies LOL.
13: Spawn: GGs in pools! Can't wait for our next set!
13: Darktooth: BEATING PC CHRIS?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! MY BOY <3
13: Tian: Great talking and commentating with you! We should try to get some games in at SKTAR.
17: Ryobeat (Forfeit in losers) : Don't forfeit in losers LOL. Plan your time better and make sure you can finish the bracket without leaving!
17: Apex|Reno: SHOULD NOT BE GETTING 17th! Do better, you're a great player!
17: Vino: BEATING MDZ?! #highschool
25: Dizzkidboogie: Thank you SO MUCH for lending me the money to enter after my awful situation. We will money match at SKTAR :) Also, I will repay you then.
25: Nuro: GREAT set, you have such an interesting sheik to fight. You made me work for my win.
25: Toxic(Forfeit in losers Round 3) : Again, don't forfeit LOL. We ****ed up in terms of money/travel/ and alot of things, we'll work it out. BUT I'm glad you came out to show people that you are a competitor! NEXT TIME.
33: SmokeyBluntz : The homie<3
49: Bred: Broke my shield on stream, good **** LOOOL.

Dirtydeeds

Smash Rookie
Shoutouts to everyone who came to this event. It honestly still blows my mind how many people came out and made this so awesome.

Thanks to all the other TO's and the stream team and EVERYONE who helped to run this event. There were a lot of people who pitched in who didn't need to and this event would not have been as good without them. Specifically I'd like to thank MDZ and Alex Strife for helping us out of some pretty tight situations and for helping us make tough calls.
I'd like to thank everyone who donated TVs, helped us move things, and also those who helped us set up and breakdown for this event.

Thanks to everyone for being so understanding with the teams/AM bracket situation and we are going to put in double effort to make sure we are more prepared next time to make those events happen and to make them fun.
Final shoutouts to all the homies I saw at this event, I wish we got to play some games!

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Request to have my tournament characters displayed:

:falconmelee::jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::samusmelee:

Excellent tournament peoples.

Pros:

- Space

The venue has a lot of room for a large number of setups as well as enough room for an audience for the main/stream TV. On top of that there's a room where people can store their backpacks so the venue doesn't get cluttered. There's also room to eat where you won't be in the way of players/etc. And it's all ORGANIZED that way. There was no need to brushup against other players on another setup, no squeezing through aisles to get to your match TV.

- Setups

Early on it was a bit difficult to get some friendlies/warmups in but about an hour into the tournament I don't think anyone had any difficulty hopping onto a setup at any given time.

- venue has $cheap$ snacks/drinks
- venue has designated area for bookbags/eating
- chinese food and pizza is like a 2 minute walk from the venue
- parking is never a problem
- venue is like 5 blocks away from the Scarsdale train station
- internet connection allows for a quality stream(both wired/wireless)
- free wifi(it may only be optimumwifi, unsure though)

Cons:

- venue does have windows, and an air conditioning as well but it's no match for the shear number of entrants this tournament series gets. IT GETS HOT
- yea that's about it, tournament is SOOOO CASH

Smash Journeyman
As someone who watched on stream: shoutouts to YOUNG JUSTICE. Even though he didn't always know what he was saying, that was some pretty good poise from such a young kid; we're all expecting great things from him ;) And shoutouts to Prog for being oh so patient with him!

Also Swift should've won LF :( :( Come on New England :p (Sai was mad good though!)

Senortesta

Smash Apprentice
I entered as ace and unfortunately didn't make bracket (pool was stacked I had swift, joey Ny, and two people who got 33rd but still) but I had a ton of fun. The only problems were pretty much out of your control. If there were 60 people like what was probably planned for, space, heat, and time constraints wouldn't be an issue so you did the best you could.

Shoutouts to the TO's for being chill about everything and trying there best to make this tourney work out amazingly. Also shoutouts to all the people i played friendlies with even though I was loosing pretty much every singles friendly I feel I was learning quite a bit about my bad habits.

My only suggestions are maybe do online registration so you have a better idea about how many people are coming, or make it a two day event which makes complete sense with 100+ entrants trying to do singles, doubles, and an amateur bracket.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Amazing tournament guys.

Shoutout to the TO's you guys put in work, thank you so much for letting me charge my phone and I was glad to help set up tables before since I got there WAYYY too early.

Slox- that combo with marth in that friendly set was so stupid, see you soon
p/- flaco fusions
Phish-It- Sorry about your controller, always good seeing you
Unknownforce- Good seeing you again, I'm sure I'll catch you at metagame house sooner or later.
Tian- Shiek society. Good **** against s0ft
Slothbear- My salt was real. I want that rematch, our set was too close. **** ICs vs Shiek D:
GreenRanger- You're too good, thanks for being the funnest loss I've ever had. DK broke
PC Chris- I wanted to talk to you and meet you since your games back in 2006 got me into melee, but I got to move a table with you, so I guess I've got that going for me.
PB&J- Fan top tier. I was going to offer you my pizza that you were eyeing from behind the glass because I was full but I didn't see you before I finished it
Uconn Crew- We in there
Ritz- close set in losers. You WRECKED me in the crew battle a few months ago and I want another rematch, you guys are cool I wish we played more often
Blahyay- Sorry about your pool, I wish we got to play
Dahlia- We need to play more
Rold Gold- ROLD GOLD
Swiftbass- CT homie life
Prog- We didn't get to speak, but you gave me a pound before I left when I said later to Tim, so I've got that going for me, I feel weird tweeting in the same room but I feel like approaching you would be weird since you probably get it a lot.
Spawn- Shiek society. I'll message you on facebook with that stuff later
YoungJustice- That falcon punch

Everyone was cool, NY gets so hype. I hope to play more people next time, venue too hot.

Top Bottom