• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just some things I do (G&W Tips'n'tricks)

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
So over the years I've accumulated some habits and tricks that some of you might or might not find useful.
Some of this **** is probably second nature to some of you, but w/e.
So yeah, here are some things I do that I remember atm:

1. When bucket braking, I turn myself around so my back is pointing towards the stage. This lets me use bair to cover my recovery.

2. If I'm hit in a horizontal trajectory(or lower) without having my 2nd jump, and I know I don't NEED the bucket brake, I'll up b right away because using the bucket will stall so long that you simply can't reach the ledge anymore(or get edgehogged more easily.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k1zlq3Gf6MU&t=396 (6:40)

3. When being dthrowed by Snake(or G&W for that matter), simply getting up and grabbing Snake is really ****ING effective. Utilt should also be tried out on low %, because it sets Snake up for some nasty strings.

4. While having nothing better to do, use bacon.

5. After using bair > dsmash a couple of times, go over to bair > grab. It will work wonderfully

6. Sometimes you should use the bucket to stall your recovery to avoid nasty situations where the opponent will try to grab the ledge, forcing you to recover on stage, setting you up for a free punish.

7. Landing with neutral b is a nice mixup. When you're landing, and you're too low for a fair to come out, a lot of people with MU experience will know that they can basically hit or shieldgrab you. However, landing with bacon has a slightly delayed hitbox that stays active even when landing, and this really throws people off. (The bacon that comes out afterwards also gives you another safety-net if they block the pan's hitbox)

8. When dthrowing characters with good getup-attacks(IE attacks that push you too far away to shieldgrab... snake comes to mind), you should dash away, then back again, and then shield. This will give you skidding momentum that will counter the shieldpush that the opponent's getup-attack will cause, letting you grab them.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=F2iMGYjwAqQ&t=182 (3:02)
9. Utilt vs Wario, use it.

10. Uair or up b Marth's recovery. He wont sweetspot the ledge, and you can edgehog him because of his terrible driftingspeed in freefall.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BahR1hAehqk&t=203 (3:23)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vL_Nek5jRb0&t=83 (1:24)

11. I don't care what people think, use Diddy Kong's bananas, and use them well.

BONUSTIP FROM OUR DEAR GERMAN COMRADE SCHLIGGER:
You can crouch under various characters' getup-attacks after you've dthrown them.
Characters mentioned were Snake and Ganondorf, but there are more.
I personally did not know this wtfman.

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Gardex, you're a boss. Been doing 4, 8, 9, and 11 for a while, and they're all 100% truly necessary in today's meta. The other ones I'm going to check out asap.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yoooooo at the bonus tip that's so good i never knew that lol

But yeah good thread

definitely good for whatever poor suckers decide to try and use this character in 2013

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Crouching overall is hilarious. When they try to attack you sometimes and you crouch and punish it's awesome.

FigsFinity

Smash Rookie
Woah at that bonus tip, never crossed my mind. I'll see if it will make a more opportune moment to use my Side B when i'm feeling lucky.

I also enjoy some good uair harassing, it can really throw people off their **** at time.

Top Bottom