• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just saying thanks

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I got into competitive Melee twice. Once before Brawl around the advent of Youtube and then once again in the post-Brawl revival. I was more into it in the post-Brawl revival and watched videos everyday.

I'm just happy to have been a part of this community. Sure, I've only been to 4 tournaments in my life, but I followed the scene religiously. When I talk about it with my friends who played but weren't big on community, I can ramble off so many Smash history facts. Highlights from Mango's dethroning of m2k. That one disgusting SilentWolf combo on PokeStadium that as in Gimpy's video, Cactuar vs. Darkrain at Event 52, so much. I'm happy that I can still watch this game, watch all you guys who did what I was slightly too young and slightly in the wrong place to do, watch you guys kick *** and rise in the ranks (I remember when Dr.PeePee would post in character specific asking for help and even I was able to point **** out to him). Thanks to this place I can just watch Melee videos and see the beauty in them, in all that ****ing nuance.

So thanks SWF. You've made a fan out of me. Melee isn't my main game nowadays (that'd be HoN), but I try to make Purdue's smash tourneys as much as possible, and I always pop in to watch the newest videos.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I got into competitive Melee twice. Once before Brawl around the advent of Youtube and then once again in the post-Brawl revival. I was more into it in the post-Brawl revival and watched videos everyday.

I'm just happy to have been a part of this community. Sure, I've only been to 4 tournaments in my life, but I followed the scene religiously. When I talk about it with my friends who played but weren't big on community, I can ramble off so many Smash history facts. Highlights from Mango's dethroning of m2k. That one disgusting SilentWolf combo on PokeStadium that as in Gimpy's video, Cactuar vs. Darkrain at Event 52, so much. I'm happy that I can still watch this game, watch all you guys who did what I was slightly too young and slightly in the wrong place to do, watch you guys kick *** and rise in the ranks (I remember when Dr.PeePee would post in character specific asking for help and even I was able to point **** out to him). Thanks to this place I can just watch Melee videos and see the beauty in them, in all that ****ing nuance.

So thanks SWF. You've made a fan out of me. Melee isn't my main game nowadays (that'd be HoN), but I try to make Purdue's smash tourneys as much as possible, and I always pop in to watch the newest videos.
It's awesome isn't it? Well thanks for those comments, it's always appreciated knowing the fact that people still care about this game. And for that, it's a good reason to continue to go forward never looking back. This kind support is one of the reasons, I march onward to victory! =P

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
Yeah I hope the community knows that although there are plenty of diehard players, there are definitely huge fans who are mainly spectators, but hardcore nonetheless.
I really wish I could meet these guys more. It never occurred to me that people almost exclusively watched / kept up with results. Very tight.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I really wish I could meet these guys more. It never occurred to me that people almost exclusively watched / kept up with results. Very tight.
Well that makes me wonder, do people like this also dream themselves about what they want to do in life? My dream is to show everyone that dreams are possible whatever they may be. And of course the requirement for a dream like that is to be in the spotlight. =P

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
I actually think there are a lot of people who only keep up with results or only watch youtube videos, me being one of them. I have never been to any tournament or Smashfest or whatever in my life and I am playing Melee for like 4 or 5 months now, but I have been lurking Youtube and SWF for ages, even before I started playing. I just love how an relatively old game (not new to say the least) still got such an active and awesome community and it just makes me a fan not only of "competitive" ssbm itself but also the competive melee scene. Thanks I guess. =)

Composeur

Smash Ace
I actually think there are a lot of people who only keep up with results or only watch youtube videos, me being one of them. I have never been to any tournament or Smashfest or whatever in my life and I am playing Melee for like 4 or 5 months now, but I have been lurking Youtube and SWF for ages, even before I started playing. I just love how an relatively old game (not new to say the least) still got such an active and awesome community and it just makes me a fan not only of "competitive" ssbm itself but also the competive melee scene. Thanks I guess. =)
Same here, Mooo. I've never had a real, long-term opportunity to really learn the game as competitively as I want to, but I hope I get it in the near future. It's the knowledge that there is still such an active community, despite the existence of Brawl, that allows me to continue caring about ssbm!

Zodiac

Smash Master
Some people watch football, some watch basketball..I watch melee ball.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
I started smash in '08 on wombo combo day, Found out about competetive smash on wombo combo day, and modeled my falcon after SS forever.

3 years and going strong!

The Star King

Smash Hero
I'm another person who only watches Melee. It's not by choice though, it's just that I've got like the worst parents possible for going to IRL tournaments (I still love them though). I probably have to wait until I can drive >_>

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i didnt kno either that there were just video fans. so those guys are the 'randoms' who show up to tournaments maining spacies/falcon to have fun eheheh. more respect to randoms baby :)

Bones0

Smash Legend
I can totally relate to the spectator thing. I didn't attend my first tournament until '09 because there are no local people near me to play with, and I couldn't drive to tournaments. Since college I've gotten back into Melee and have gone to plenty of tournaments, but before then I would really just watch the MLG videos as soon as they came out and practice simple tech stuff against computers for the one day I might be able to compete myself. ^_^

Stratford

Smash Champion
Melee is such a good source of entertainment. Obviously playing, but also keeping up with the hype sets and tourneys.

Ever since late 2006, when I saw a combo video for the first time (Shined Blind), youtube and Smash had my heart forever. 2 years later, I went to my first tournament. 1 year after that, I'm uploading tournament videos

♥ youtube Smash ♥

The Star King

Smash Hero
Why does Shined Blind seem to be everybody's first combo video? Lol.

Mine was OMFG M2K I think, I guess I'm weird.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
God we're awesome.

But I know tons of spectator fans. If you are one of those fans though, I recommend going to a national/internationals anyway. There is nothing like seeing people play in person. I don't think this gets talked about enough. You might think M2K is good when you watch vids, but until you see him 4 stocking every kid that goes on his setup, you won't truly understand. When you watch pro vids, its usually two evenly matched players...so things go back and forth and you may not truly appreciate how **** the players are. Seeing impossible combos flow off their hands stock after stock for hundreds of matches...its beautiful to watch.

Oh and being there for hype matches is awesome.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
There are tons of things videos do not show indeed. Like how do players feel after crushing somebody or after they got *****. They also actually show the difference in between skill levels, videos for some reason for me makes me believe that there is an illusion that let's say 2 mid-level players are actually extremely good but in reality when you watch them for real, it's completely different.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah ive met a couple video watchers

theyre always disappointed when i tell them that no, im way way worse than mango

then theyre always shocked at how much better than them i still am, thus the reality of the skillgap sets in

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
There are tons of things videos do not show indeed. Like how do players feel after crushing somebody or after they got *****. They also actually show the difference in between skill levels, videos for some reason for me makes me believe that there is an illusion that let's say 2 mid-level players are actually extremely good but in reality when you watch them for real, it's completely different.
I sooo agree with this. Its very easy to see 2 mid-level players and think they're capable of high level play. Then realize they're not quite there yet, that illusion catches me all the time >_<.

Anyway this is a really heartwarming thread so I'm here to go d'aww mainly.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I sooo agree with this. Its very easy to see 2 mid-level players and think they're capable of high level play. Then realize they're not quite there yet, that illusion catches me all the time >_<.

Anyway this is a really heartwarming thread so I'm here to go d'aww mainly.
I wanted to add that is really only happens with players we are unfamiliar with. But ya, awwwwwww!

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Why does Shined Blind seem to be everybody's first combo video? Lol.

Mine was OMFG M2K I think, I guess I'm weird.
Jeez... I think the first combo vid I ever saw was a Ken vid with the song from Beserk, "Forces"... I keep forgetting the name of the vid. I have it in my favs somewhere though.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
I'm another person who only watches Melee. It's not by choice though, it's just that I've got like the worst parents possible for going to IRL tournaments (I still love them though). I probably have to wait until I can drive >_>
@ Jirachi,

underaged smashing is an annoying thing. I'm only 15, and I still can't drive. Luckily my loving mom took me to a tournament 2 hours away in san fransisco. and also if I get good grades I get to go to Genesis 2 OVERNIGHT.

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
@ Jirachi,

underaged smashing is an annoying thing. I'm only 15, and I still can't drive. Luckily my loving mom took me to a tournament 2 hours away in san fransisco. and also if I get good grades I get to go to Genesis 2 OVERNIGHT.
My parents are always like: "Get there on your own and stay as long as you want, I just don't want to drive you because why would I?" And my brother is pretty much the same... =D
I am seventeen but I don't have my license because I moved to the US this summer and could only start then and it was all complicated and whatever, and that really is why I am forced to just watch videos, because I just can't get anywhere and actually meet some smashers that are better than me/more experienced so that i can get better myself...

Life

Smash Hero
I have similar problems to the others (in both games)--that is, lack of rides and whatnot. That being said, awesome post.

Smash forever!

LowFatHat

Smash Cadet
Ever since late 2006, when I saw a combo video for the first time (Shined Blind), youtube and Smash had my heart forever. 2 years later, I went to my first tournament. 1 year after that, I'm uploading tournament videos

♥ youtube Smash ♥
Someone who understands!

Shined Blind and Soldier of Fortune are the two videos that got me into playing melee. I'm only 16 right now, and I've only ever had one other person get interested in Smash like me. It's been a steep uphill battle trying to get good, considering I've never been able to travel to tournaments, and I've only ever had one person to play against, but over the years we've collectively mained about half of the available characters, and we've both found our styles and final mains and whatnot. I just hope that I'll be able to get into the scene soon, considering I've been restricted to watching from the sidelines for years.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
yeah ive met a couple video watchers

theyre always disappointed when i tell them that no, im way way worse than mango

then theyre always shocked at how much better than them i still am, thus the reality of the skillgap sets in
That last part is so true. I kept up with national results when I didn't really play competitively, so when I did start to play competitively I met alot of people I never heard of. I figured matches against these people would be close or I would win... I did and still am getting my *** beat to this day.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
That last part is so true. I kept up with national results when I didn't really play competitively, so when I did start to play competitively I met alot of people I never heard of. I figured matches against these people would be close or I would win... I did and still am getting my *** beat to this day.
That didn't stop you from absolutely rolling my Fox with your Falco lol. That was my first friendly in like a year, and it wasn't pretty.

mizujin

Smash Cadet
@ Jirachi,

I wish my parents were that cool. I've only gone to one tournament and it was a local which I had to bike to. I'm pretty sure I made it out of pools too but I had to leave because it started getting really dark out.

Being 14 sucks.

QED

Smash Apprentice
Zhu, I'm mostly a spectator. I've entered about 5 local tournaments in my life (someday I'll take more than 1 stock off someone that isn't random) and you were in almost all of them. I still remember the time you tried to teach me how to JC shine. I still laugh at the thought you were trying to teach an utter noob who couldn't even L cancel consistently (It's so painful to know so much about the game and not be able to do any of it Q____Q.) Regardless, just wanted to say thanks and us spectators will be rooting for you in the upcoming tournaments!

Random question: were you at WCG 2010? I think I saw you watching the SC matches of Jaedong/Flash/Kal. Someone was holding a smashboards sign. Maybe not. Whatever. Whoever it was. Good ****. I loled.

Top Bottom