• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just picked up d3

Don Pablo

Smash Rookie
I just recently got into pm over the summer and decided to main ddd. Any ddd mains able to give me a run down on his pros/cons as well as advice on how to approach in neutral?

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
I'm not a DDD main, so basically all I'm going to say is: don't let your enemies get close to you. Ever. Unless you are grabbing them or they are in full hitstun. Space them out completely, and combo and kill them as early as possible. That seems to be the only way to succeed at Dedede.

Also watch a lot of Ripple tournament matches.

I posted some other tips in this thread, but they are probably of limited usefulness if you know the basics:
https://smashboards.com/threads/waddle-dashing.440388/

Last edited:

Don Pablo

Smash Rookie
I'm not a DDD main, so basically all I'm going to say is: don't let your enemies get close to you. Ever. Unless you are grabbing them or they are in full hitstun. Space them out completely, and combo and kill them as early as possible. That seems to be the only way to succeed at Dedede.

Also watch a lot of Ripple tournament matches.

I posted some other tips in this thread, but they are probably of limited usefulness if you know the basics:
https://smashboards.com/threads/waddle-dashing.440388/
Thanks for the advice. When I've played I have noticed d3 is pretty much do or die cus if they get in your combo food. I've watched some ripple matches and it really helped my follow ups off of grabs which I'm guessing is d3s strong point

Last edited:

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice. When I've played I have noticed d3 is pretty much do or die cus if they get in your combo food. I've watched some ripple matches and it really helped my follow ups off of grabs which I'm guessing is d3s strong point
This is true, but Dedede can turn a lot of other characters into combo food pretty easily too (and/or kill them in only a few hits).

And yeah, Dedede's grab game is amazing, just don't rely TOO heavily on it, because he can have a really difficult time getting grabs in general, and if you go for them too much, your opponents can punish you super easily. Your best bet is trying to get setups into grab, like catching them in hitstun, tech chases or jab resets.

Also, it's important to remember that you're basically Jigglypuff with a GIANT hammer, so following them offstage is a GREAT way to confirm kills on most of the cast, even at low percents!

Don Pablo

Smash Rookie
This is true, but Dedede can turn a lot of other characters into combo food pretty easily too (and/or kill them in only a few hits).

And yeah, Dedede's grab game is amazing, just don't rely TOO heavily on it, because he can have a really difficult time getting grabs in general, and if you go for them too much, your opponents can punish you super easily. Your best bet is trying to get setups into grab, like catching them in hitstun, tech chases or jab resets.

Also, it's important to remember that you're basically Jigglypuff with a GIANT hammer, so following them offstage is a GREAT way to confirm kills on most of the cast, even at low percents!
After playing against a dude who almost exclusively plays spacies I can attest to that one grab can possibly lead to death so I kind of thought he was a grab centered character. I try not to rely on it too heavily but it's sometimes my only way to get follow-ups cus all d3s moves are so slow. The main way I approach is through waddle dashing until I get an opening or sort of doing empty jumps until they whiff a move but I'm not sure how to mix it up. Any pointers on his neutral game and approaches? My hardest matchup has probably been toon Link and falco so far because of the projectiles and pillaring

Last edited:
Top Bottom