• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just how good is downtilt?

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I noticed a lot that when I try to run in and out of a lot of my opponents reach with dash dancing, wave dashing, and run stopping, I can get a ridiculous amount of follow ups on Fox's down tilt. For example, if I d-tilt someone light like lucas, or Kirby, I can chase immediately with like nair, up air, or back air depending on DI. its like an up tilt with half of the lifting power. it also covers ledge kind of well when people don't edge guard with proper sweet spots. on heavy characters it lets me follow up with similar aerials, but I can also even lead to regrabs if I do something like weak hit nairs or forward air. I think fox's combo game is pretty good when d-tilt is the starter or extender if you can manage it.

Landitty

Smash Cadet
Downtilt is awesome for starting combos. Works best for me when I cancel a run with a crouch and then slide into downtilt. Give's it a little bit of foreward momentum, and is less punishable then a bad dash attack. So basically, I use it in place of dash attack most of the time, preferring to save dash attack for tech chasing and mix ups. Works great when your opponent comes running straight at you!

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Downtilt is awesome for starting combos. Works best for me when I cancel a run with a crouch and then slide into downtilt. Give's it a little bit of foreward momentum, and is less punishable then a bad dash attack. So basically, I use it in place of dash attack most of the time, preferring to save dash attack for tech chasing and mix ups. Works great when you opponent comes running straight at you!
I agree. I also like to use it on people when I CC a dash attack. Or when they mess up spacing on a jump in. its leads to so much at a bunch of different percents. Way too good to ignore.

Top Bottom