• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Junior and the Koopalings Game Play Discussion

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Would it be a bad idea to use Forward Throw and then setup a Mechakoopa? I basically thought of doing the Fthrow to give myself a little spacing/breathing room to minimalize the risk of getting punished, but I've never tried it in practice.

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
Would it be a bad idea to use Forward Throw and then setup a Mechakoopa? I basically thought of doing the Fthrow to give myself a little spacing/breathing room to minimalize the risk of getting punished, but I've never tried it in practice.
Throws in general are good for getting the time to set up a mechakoop. But if you're going for damage, bthrow is your best option.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Personally I would save Bthrow for the kill, unless
it's to get them off the edge. It kills decently for
a throw, especially with rage.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I tend to bthrow if a ledge is behind (mean edgeguarding game that clown car has~) but usually fthrow for general "quit shielding ya *******" moves and on more counter-happy characters. Gotta get out of the habit of dthrow since it doesn't chain as well as most characters'

Weruop

Smash Ace
One thing that I think might be underutilized at this point is using Bowser Jr's Side B lightly so that you don't charge at them at full speed. It can be a really nice mixup and throw people off and make them have to think twice before just a suing how long it'll take for u to be up in their grill.

Down B from about the middle of the stage, into side b into up b on a grounded opponent who is not afraid to shield- and then falling backwards , can be a safe tactic in some cases, and applies good shield pressure (mechakoopa, side b, upb explosion, mechakoopa coming back the other direction). Its also made more safe by the mechakoopa walking itself in between the shielding opponent and yourself, making your fall a bit safer

In also still debating on if I prefer to use my upair at low percent to rack damage, or higher percent for sideb to upair kills

Last edited:

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet
I know some people have had to figured this out already, but if you jump right out of the first hit of side B on the opponent, you can footstool them then get a guaranteed dair since you can't tech a footstool.(Works from 0-23% fVS most chars) Also I'm sure people know this but this has been bothering me- stop using pivot to get out of side B, fastfalling the jump out of side B has way less lag and jumping out of side B is generally way better due to guaranteed nair followup.

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but I've been abusing Side B>Dair>Fair>Fair into followup at low percents for a while, now. It looks flashy, apparently, because every time I've done it with a crowd they've reacted to it.

It works almost every time, racks up a nice amount of damage, and usually puts my enemy offstage. At this point, I can usually read the recovery and add a nice Bair to finish it off, which only adds to the large amount of damage I've racked up.

Side note: first post on Smashboards, and I'm happy to see that a lot of people seem to agree that Bowjow isn't as bad as some people make him out to be. I just got introduced to a group of people that thought I was insane for maining him, and now I don't feel so bad anymore :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Some player online gave me the idea to use
his up b after hitting a shield with dash, it works
great for punishing those who drop their shield too
early.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I wasn't sure whether or not to post this here or in the dead Q&A thread, but has anyone else ever spawned an invisible Mechakoopa before? As in, the Mechakoopa spawns and walks across the stage, but is completely invisible. I was playing a match earlier today (using Lemmy more specifically) when I canceled a really small amount of knockback from DK with a Mechakoopa; but upon landing, it looked as though the Mechakoopa didn't come out, but the sound effects still occured. A few moments later, DK got hit by the explosion; not knowing where the Mechakoopa was at.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there already a discovered method to replicate this AT/Glitch? If there's a way to consistently spawn invisible Mechakoopas, this might change the metagame entirely. lol

P.S. I've been cursing at myself every second of this day for mashing through the result screen without saving the replay.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
It might just be me but doing a really, really small hop upwards before downb might work better than standing position. I'm pretty sure it's either that the mechakoopa activates a bit faster or you're not as open for long. Anyone wanna test that?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
It might just be me but doing a really, really small hop upwards before downb might work better than standing position. I'm pretty sure it's either that the mechakoopa activates a bit faster or you're not as open for long. Anyone wanna test that?
I can confirm this. It's not faster than the grounded Mechakoopa, but the Mechakoopa will have the same animation as when it's normally placed on the ground, plus the added distance from it being dropped in midair.

Also, once you jump up a certain height, using down+B will cause the Mechakoopa to do a small bounce animation when it hits the ground. If you combine that with moving forward in midair, you can pick it up upon landing before it has a chance to move.

EDIT: It should be worth noting that Down+B cancels your vertical momentum when jumping, so you can do this out of shield. You can also press jump and down+B at the same time so you do it as close to the ground as possible. Unfortunately, the Mechakoopa won't explode on impact at that height when you drop it; so that small arc that it covers before hitting the ground won't actually hurt the opponent unless they destroy it somehow.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Edit: (Ignore this, I was going to respond how shorthopping Down B forward allowed you to pick up mechakoopas but missed the above post who had covered it all already)

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Another thing, something I saw and gave a try was Dair -> Run -> Fair it seems to be good in somewhat middling percentages (about 30-50% range) that you can hit with the drill, quick run for momentum and smack with a fair, I think they may still be in hitstun when this happens since even the AI seems to have issues avoiding the fair. It's not a super combo-wombo but it's good for racking up an extra 20 or so damage and off ledges you might be able to get a second fair in. Between this and the sideB options, the lil' runts' got more combo options than we gave him credit for...

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You Full Jump -> You Fair -> You've hit the opponent -> You're at the top of your jump -> Fast Fall --> Fair is still going -> You hit your opponent again -> You land -> Fork

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
There any gif/video examples? My stupid head can't figure out how that'd look/work
The landing lag animation of Fair has it's own hitbox so if you first hit with a shorthop Fair you can fastfall to then hit with the hitbox of the landing lag animation, then you can combo to Ftilt, Utilt, Dtilt or Grab.
It works reliably at about 0 - 23% damage on middle weight characters.

EDIT: Nvm, My combo also works but it wasn't this combo that WeirdChilldFever meant. I should read the posts more carefully from now on :p

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The landing lag animation of Fair has it's own hitbox so if you first hit with a shorthop Fair you can fastfall to then hit with the hitbox of the landing lag animation, then you can combo to Ftilt, Utilt, Dtilt or Grab.
It works reliably at about 0 - 23% damage on middle weight characters.

EDIT: Nvm, My combo also works but it wasn't this combo that WeirdChilldFever meant. I should read the posts more carefully from now on :p
I think it's exactly that TBH.

EDIT: No, actually it's the first hitbox hitting (the upwards swing) and the second (the return to position) too.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
@ WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever Really? Fair has 3 hitboxes so i thought you meant hitting with the first and then the third hitbox of the Fair (which i have no idea if it works) since you did it from a fulljump but oh well.
Doing it from a shorthop is easier imo and i would assume the percent range is narrower from a fullhop but i could be wrong.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
@ WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever Really? Fair has 3 hitboxes so i thought you meant hitting with the first and then the third hitbox of the Fair (which i have no idea if it works) since you did it from a fulljump but oh well.
Doing it from a shorthop is easier imo and i would assume the percent range is narrower from a fullhop but i could be wrong.
I was probably super wrong about the hop height, since I tried to guess it out of my head.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Does anyone else find themselves going way deep offstage to get a gimp/kill? He has superb ways to achieve this and still make it back.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I hardly find myself using fair offstage, to be honest. I usually zoom off into a nair or a dair, and sometimes I get above them and try to be stylish by dropping a mechakoopa right where they'll be.
It's very common for me to go all out chasing them offstage, I'll go off, attack them, jump again, more attacks, get the hop off my side-b, and more attacks. Then make it back to the ledge with up-b.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I hardly find myself using fair offstage, to be honest. I usually zoom off into a nair or a dair, and sometimes I get above them and try to be stylish by dropping a mechakoopa right where they'll be.
It's very common for me to go all out chasing them offstage, I'll go off, attack them, jump again, more attacks, get the hop off my side-b, and more attacks. Then make it back to the ledge with up-b.
Drop off Bair is dang cool too.

I mostly use Nair when they recover low (Stage Spike)

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Drop off Bair is dang cool too.

I mostly use Nair when they recover low (Stage Spike)
Oh yeah, Bair is one of the attacks I use the most, I forgot to mention.

In regards to stage spiking, Bair is my preferred tool-of-the-trade. I usually side-b off the stage to throw them off while they're recovering, then quickly reverse my direction out of the hop into a bair that sends them into the stage and into the dark beyond.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Yeah you don't have to be scared of not recovering with Bowser Jr since he has 4 recovery tools so i usually go much deeper than the opponent expects.

I like to use Fair mostly and Spinout if im sure it will connect. The spinout is often kind of easy to hit with after a Fair or if the opponent airdodges it. Bair is good too but i prefer Fair cause it has multiple hitboxes.

If they are recovering low i sometimes use fastfalled Nair to stagespike or Dair as it carries the opponent down a bit and can be footstooled out of if hit correctly.

Last edited:

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
Oh yeah, Bair is one of the attacks I use the most, I forgot to mention.

In regards to stage spiking, Bair is my preferred tool-of-the-trade. I usually side-b off the stage to throw them off while they're recovering, then quickly reverse my direction out of the hop into a bair that sends them into the stage and into the dark beyond.
Going offstage is probably my most preferred method of taking stocks when playing BowJow. whether it's a fair, bair, or nair, I find any aerial, when timed well, can secure kills. I also like to mix it up and upB when I know exactly where my opponent has to recover- either they delay their recovery (to avoid the exploding cart) and end up too far away from the ledge to recover, or they go through with it anyway and die from the explosion.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
That's probably one of his biggest perks, his offstage game which really makes a difference when against guys like marth or little mac. When you got side and up b for recovery combined with several moves for up close or safe distance attacking, he can be a right bugger. Shame the cpu's impossible airdodging makes it near impossible to practice outside of upB when they climb back onstage. Really wish they didn't do that...

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Been messing around and by the looks of things, Bowser Jr matches up strongly against... Bowser Jr.
- On higher pencentages the drills and buzzsaws really gimp others easily, when it whiffs it's often too weak a hit to give back the clown car so they plummet!
- Mechakoopas don't cancel out. They'll hurt one another but not enough to destroy. Might be a nice advantage against uninformed players.
- The abandon ship also gimps others if they're using it below you... or just blows them up and that's often plenty to net a KO.

Also more general is that the fsmash has a deceptively long range, I've had plenty of KO shots screencapped where it looks more like it missed.

Though more for classic mode and such but they're so good at keep-away, I think an auto-healing equip would work really well for them!

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Discovered a pretty cool thing today which i guess we can call Spinout Sliding or something.

If you do a Spinout from the air close to the ground and time it correctly you will slide across the ground a bit, but if you do this from the ledge as close to the ground as possible you will slide across half of the stage!

It looks pretty awesome, and not im not sure if there's any applications for it yet but i have been able to hit opponents out of the intial Spinout and slided into a Usmash/Dsmash.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Another thing I looked at inspired by good ol' Mario himself was a bit of utilt application. Unfortunately it is a hard thing to start without mario's dthrow but the fork still has good range. basically I'd been practicing on a live lv6 cpu(wish I could go higher but by 7 they stop abiding by things like lag and any such concept... hate the lack of middle ground) which basically goes utilt x3/4 (if at 0%, 4. If at a low % then 3) usmash, jump, uair, jump again,uair or fair or bair depending on where they go from there. The combo with the bair took a zss from 0% to exactly 60% on its own. Probably one to try and pull out of a shield.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Another thing I looked at inspired by good ol' Mario himself was a bit of utilt application. Unfortunately it is a hard thing to start without mario's dthrow but the fork still has good range. basically I'd been practicing on a live lv6 cpu(wish I could go higher but by 7 they stop abiding by things like lag and any such concept... hate the lack of middle ground) which basically goes utilt x3/4 (if at 0%, 4. If at a low % then 3) usmash, jump, uair, jump again,uair or fair or bair depending on where they go from there. The combo with the bair took a zss from 0% to exactly 60% on its own. Probably one to try and pull out of a shield.
Yeah while Utilt chains doesn't register as a true combo for more than 2 hits, Utilt is one of Juniors best combo tools in combination with Uair.
Uair > SJ Bair is a true combo at mid percents, so that's generally the best way to finish after the Utilts.

SH Fairs link well into Utilt at lower percent so a pretty cool chain you can pull off at low percent is is: Side B > Dair > SH Fair > Utilt x 2-3 > SH Uair > SJ Bair

Last edited:

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
Yeah while Utilt chains doesn't register as a true combo for more than 2 hits, Utilt is one of Juniors best combo tools in combination with Uair.
Uair > SJ Bair is a true combo at mid percents, so that's generally the best way to finish after the Utilts.

SH Fairs link well into Utilt at lower percent so a pretty cool chain you can pull off at low percent is is: Side B > Dair > Fair > Utilt x 2-3 > SH Uair > SJ Bair
I can vouch for the low % string described here- it looks sick as HELL when you're able to pull it off flawlessly. If you can get a kart to connect at low %, this should be one of your go-to options (provided there's enough room for you to pull it off).

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I can vouch for the low % string described here- it looks sick as HELL when you're able to pull it off flawlessly. If you can get a kart to connect at low %, this should be one of your go-to options (provided there's enough room for you to pull it off).
SJ bair? short jump?

Top Bottom