• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jun 7-8, 2014] Super SWEET: feat. Armada, Mango, Axe, Scar, Toph, Kage, KirbyKaze (Ann Arbor, MI)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium

Spartans/Wolverines
Exhibit Entertaining Tourneys

A Midwest Melee/PM Super Regional
June 7-8, 2014
Ann Arbor, MI

- INTRODUCTION -

From the TO staff that has brought you The Big House series, MIOM | Juggleguy and the Michigan Smash community presents: Super SWEET!

SWEET, which stands for Spartans/Wolverines Exhibit Entertaining Tourneys, started in 2010 as a modest local Melee event alternating between campus venues in both Ann Arbor and East Lansing. It has since grown into the premiere Melee tournament series in the state of Michigan and one of the most storied series in the entire Midwest, boasting out-of-state attendees such as Mango, Mew2King, KirbyKaze, Unknown522, Kels, Dart, VaNz, Teczero, Abate, Yu, Trail, and more.

In anticipation of MLG and EVO this summer, join us on June 7-8 for a supercharged two-day installment of this legendary series here in Ann Arbor, MI!

- LOCATION -

Michigan Union Pendleton Room
530 S State St, Ann Arbor, MI 48109

The friendly confines of Michigan Union will be our venue for this tournament! Michigan Union is the center of student event activity on UM Central Campus, offering an abundance of resources such as convenience stores, fast food restaurants, and event meeting space. We'll be in the Pendleton Room, a 2600 square foot area with projector viewing and plenty of seating.

Travel:
IF YOU ARE FLYING IN:

By far the best airport to fly into is Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) which is about 20 miles away from the venue. You are responsible for arranging your own transportation from DTW to Ann Arbor:

1. The Michigan Flyer bus offers round-trip tickets between DTW and Ann Arbor for about $25. It stops running at 10:30pm, so this option is only good if your flight arrives early enough on Friday. On their website, set your starting location to Detroit Metro Airport, MI and your destination to Ann Arbor (Blake Transit Center). From Blake Transit Center, you’re within a 10-minute walk to the venue.

2. The Custom Transit Ann Arbor Airport Shuttle offers a $40 dynamic cab fare from DTW to Ann Arbor starting at one passenger. The price increases with each additional passenger with this service.

IF YOU ARE DRIVING IN:

Parking is available at the Maynard St Parking Structure one block north at $1.20 per hour, or alternatively, at the Liberty Square Parking Structure a few blocks north at just $3 for the whole day.

Housing:
Recommended Hotels:

Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor South
~$75/night

Days Inn Ann Arbor
~$80/night

If you absolutely cannot afford to pay for traditional housing, try CouchSurfing to stay with an Ann Arbor local for the weekend. The idea might sound creepy, but I personally know people who have used CouchSurfing before and they’ve had a good experience with it. Keep an open mind, as there will be very limited free housing available from Smashers in Ann Arbor -- most of us live in tiny campus apartments here with no parking spots on-site.

Food:
Venue basement:
Wendy’s
Subway
Panda Express
UGo’s

Venue ground floor:
Au Bon Pain
Starbucks

- REGISTRATION -

Online registration is mandatory -- no transactions at the door. Due to space and resource limitations, online registration will be capped at 150 total unique entrants and will close down after this number is reached. The TO staff reserves the right to allow entry on a case-by-case basis after the cap is reached. Refer to the Attendees page to view current entrants.

Registration has closed! See you on June 7-8. If you didn't register, you may not enter the venue.

Events:
Melee Singles - round robin pools into a double-elimination bracket
Melee Doubles - straight double-elimination bracket
Project M Singles - straight double-elimination bracket

Key Dates:
April 15: Registration Opens
May 15: Venue Fee increases by $10
May 31: Registration Deadline
June 1: Teammate Add/Drop Deadline

Just to clarify, Super SWEET will be treating Melee as the main event and PM as a side event. The TO staff has limited time and resources to work with, and a full PM tourney with round robin pools and doubles (like at Big House) is not possible here. Please keep this in mind while deciding your attendance and be reasonable with your expectations.

- INFORMATION -

Schedule:

Check-In and Check-Out Schedule:

Saturday, June 7
2pm-3pm | Check-In Available

Sunday, June 8
5pm-7pm | Check-Out Available

The list above provides time periods in which you may check-in and check-out for the tournament. Make sure to check-in to receive your nametag, and check-out to claim your setup discount if you brought a full setup. If you are entered into Melee Singles or PM Singles, you must check-in by 3pm Saturday. Disqualifications for Melee Singles and PM Singles will start to be handed out at that time.

Tournament Schedule:
Saturday, June 7
2pm | Doors Open
3pm | Melee Singles Pools, PM Singles Bracket
7pm | Food Break
8pm | Melee Singles Pools (2nd Round)
12am | Doors Close

Sunday, June 8
10am | Melee Doubles Bracket
2pm | Melee Singles Bracket until Top 8
5pm | PM Singles Top 8
7pm | Melee Singles Top 8
10pm | Tournament Ends

The list above provides the starting time for events throughout the weekend. Rule of thumb, do not leave the venue if you have any remaining tournament obligations in an event at any given time. If you are entered into Melee Singles or PM Singles, you must check-in by 3pm Saturday. Disqualifications for Melee Singles and PM Singles will start to be handed out at that time.

Payout:
Melee Singles
1st: 45%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%
5th: 5% each

Melee Doubles
1st: 50%
2nd: 25%

Project M Singles
1st: 50%
2nd: 25%

Melee Ruleset:
* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Master Hand is banned.
* Wobbling is banned.
* Stalling with Jigglypuff’s Rising Pound or Peach’s Wall Bomber is banned.
* Glitches such as Ice Climbers’s Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner are banned.
* Dave’s Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “1221″ fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stagelist:

Neutral (Singles)
Final Destination
Yoshi’s Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Neutral (Doubles)
Final Destination
Yoshi’s Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick (Doubles)
Kongo Jungle 64

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Project M Ruleset:
* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* All items set to OFF and item frequency set to NONE
* Input Assist set to OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Dave’s Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in “122112″ fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes two stages.
4. Second player strikes one stage.

Stagelist:

Starter (Singles)
Battlefield
Dreamland
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokémon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi’s Story

Counterpick (Singles)
Dracula’s Castle
Green Hill Zone
Lylat Cruise
WarioWare
Yoshi’s Island: Brawl

After each match:
1. Winner announces two (2) stage bans
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Additional Rules:
* Player’s Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
* Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes.
* Glitches: Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Doubles-Specific Rules:
* Life stealing is allowed
* Friendly Fire is turned ON
* Pause is turned OFF

Placings in Singles Pools are determined based on:
1. number of sets won
2. winning percentage in games (win/loss ratio)
3. head-to-head winner

In the event of an X-way tie in Singles Pools after all tiebreakers are exhausted, a best-of-1 round robin will be played out between the X players until there is a clear order of placings.

Code of Conduct:
* All ejections or disqualifications due to violations of the Code of Conduct or individual game rules will be without refund.
* No food or drink inside the venue per building event policy. Finish your meals outside or elsewhere in the building during the weekend.
* No alcohol or illegal substances inside the venue. Getting caught with these items or evidence of the presence of these items will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
* No fighting or weaponry inside the venue. Throwing controllers or acting in a way that could pose a danger to other players will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
* No refusal to play on certain setups barring extreme circumstances. All players agree to have their matches recorded if requested by the TO.
* All disqualifications due to tardiness will be complete DQs, meaning the disqualified player will be removed from both winners and losers bracket, or removed from the entire event if late for a pools match.
* The TO is granted license to use any and all types of video that you may be present in at the event, including camera recordings, livestream broadcasts, and captured gameplay footage.
* The TO is granted license to photograph your image, likeness, or depiction at the event, and you waive any claim for compensation for the event’s use or publication of photographs taken of you.
* The TO reserves the right to deny entry into the tournament to any player suspected of committing anything considered a crime or acting in a manner that is detrimental to the integrity of the event.
* The TO reserves the right to deny payout from event winnings to any player suspected of intentionally throwing a match, splitting a payout, or committing any other form of bracket manipulation.
* The TO reserves the right to settle any unforeseen situations that may occur, and his judgment is final. In extreme situations, rules may be altered between phases of a tournament in the best interests of the event.

Stream brought to you by:

Here's to an awesome summer of Smash, and an awesome tournament here on June 7-8.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'm assuming wobbling is banned since this is an MI tourney?
If so, how many pummel->tilts before throwing is considered a wobble?

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Hey any idea on good lodging?
Just looked and there was rates of 85-110 at Red Roof Inn
Lamp Post inn $69
Ann Arbor Regent $120
Victory Inn $100
Microtel $79

All just about checking a few sites and finding the cheapest one that fits your need. I know hotels can be found for $70-80 + tax if you look though.
I'm assuming wobbling is banned since this is an MI tourney?
If so, how many pummel->tilts before throwing is considered a wobble?
Wobbling is banned I assume, yes. As far as the logistics of the ban go, that is something @ Juggleguy Juggleguy will have to answer for ya

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Wobbling is banned. Can't do 4+ pummels.

Housing information will be posted with the thread update by April. If you're trying to plan ahead, the Red Roof Inn is always a safe bet in terms of pure cost.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
ultra gay.
Free ICs.

Or at least give me 5 pummels and a blizzard :3
Since I'll be the only IC there anyway and I really only wobble peach/samus/marth.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
OOOOOOOOOH ****
I'm in Offenhauer East 505
Me and a friend are playing tonight actually if you're down with that thug lyfe.

And I also have smashfests every wednesday in my dorm.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
Been doing stuff lately, but I could come over if you don't have anything going later? When does your smashfest start on Wednesday? 4-ish?

It doesn't really matter what Smash Bros game I play, cause I played all of them for a very long time.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
on wednesdays we usually start around 5:30 or 6, depends on when people are able to show up.
Also, join the NWOH melee group in my sig.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
no pm doubles RIP i'll be stream monstering
#FreePMDoubles
Something as large and important as a Super Regional should be able to swing the resources for running a full tournament experience for both events, otherwise I don't see how this is any different than any other Sweet outside of the fact that this one has PM after the announcement that PM was no longer going to be run at Melee tournaments.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
may be some big names comin to this tho

Last edited:

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
There are some big names coming, just haven't been announced yet!

@ Solharath Solharath at the moment, for PM, it isn't very different. For melee though, it's going to be a bigger and better tournament in every way.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
PM Doubles won't be an official online-registered event, but the community is welcome to step up and run it on-site during Saturday night or Sunday morning. There will be several, several hours of open PM playing time during which you can make doubles happen.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
I fully support the idea of having PM doubles. I'm only about 80% sure I'll be coming to this event so I can't commit myself to running it, but if I do end up coming I'm definitely down to help out. I've helped run both Impulse 2012 and 2013 so I have some experience in making sure these things get run accordingly on time.

Caleb Cole

Smash Rookie
Just looked and there was rates of 85-110 at Red Roof Inn
Lamp Post inn $69
Ann Arbor Regent $120
Victory Inn $100
Microtel $79

All just about checking a few sites and finding the cheapest one that fits your need. I know hotels can be found for $70-80 + tax if you look though.

Wobbling is banned I assume, yes. As far as the logistics of the ban go, that is something @ Juggleguy Juggleguy will have to answer for ya
THANKS!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
@ HammerTime HammerTime

I have to retract my initial suggestion that PM Doubles could be run as an unofficial side event. That won't be possible because the Melee-PM entrants overlap would interfere too much with the running of our official events. I hold these tourneys to the highest standard when it comes to running on time, and I don't want to promise attendees anything that I can't deliver on. So there won't be PM Doubles at this, sorry.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
if player overlap between games is your only concern then why not just envoke lains stupid rule (each individual can only enter 3 events max)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
PM Doubles will not be happening, sorry.

I understand this tourney won't be for everyone (namely, those who travel long hours to play only PM) but I'm not willing to take on anything that I can't handle with the venue and TO staff for this specific tourney.

"Lain's Stupid Rule" is not an acceptable solution to me.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I am VERY interested in this, but I'll have to see if I have conflicting plans with family before I can register.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Does the venue fee get reduced by more than $5 if you bring more than one set? I have more tvs laying around my house than I do dollar bills :(
Yes. It's $5 per setup, as long as you meet the criteria:

* TV screen is at least 15'' across the diagonal
* Console has the necessary requirements for either Melee or PM (these are listed on the registration page)
* Able to lend the equipment to the TO staff all the way until Sunday night

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
If I were able to get a car from Chicago, would anyone be able to provide us housing?
Housing from Smashers is unlikely given the time of year in Ann Arbor. I would hit up the Red Roof Inn at $80/night, which is very reasonable if split with others (especially considering that Chicago would probably only have to spend one night here if you look at the tourney schedule).

Top Bottom