• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jun 21, 2014] Well Seasoned Gaming Presents: Get Your Game On! (TWO DAYS) (Nicholasville, KY)

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Idk if I have enough pennies so I guess I have to take a look-see. Gosh that MM with False though he could hardly believe I was using that for a money match. X'D

Edit: I looked and sadly I don't have enough to scrap together even one roll. :(
I was joking since I won't be there anyway lol

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
Everybody just needs to know that if they money match me they could be set for life at wishing wells/fountains.

Kryp

Smash Apprentice
I'll probably be here.

Edit: Anyone able to house me Friday?

Edit 2: Would somebody be able to scoop me from Lexington? I found a greyhound here. I wouldn't get here till 1:45 PM Saturday tho, so I think I'd miss brawl pools unfortunately :C.
:018:
Hey Seagull, if you don't have a teammate for Brawl doubles, I wouldn't mind helping you out. :D

Cantus

Smash Cadet
I would love to show up for this.

Unfortunately, I don't have the desire (nor the cash, really) to drive to Lexington to play in pools, then drive home, only to return the next day to play a few in bracket.

Last edited:

Broverdose

Smash Rookie
I would love to show up for this.

Unfortunately, I don't have the desire (nor the cash, really) to drive to Lexington to play in pools, then drive home, only to return the next day to play a few in bracket.
A lot of people feel this way, and we believe that it would be a good idea for the events to be divided between the days rather than the days being split between pools and brackets.

kodeyluigi

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, can this just be one day? Or do melee on one day? Most of us live in Louisville and it would be pointless to drive to lex twice or find housing.

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
Is this one day junk seriously taking place one week before the event?

"I live just close enough to where I don't want to get a hotel for this but I also don't wanna drive two days." Probably wouldn't fly if it was used on something like Shuffle V or other two day events. o-o

Broverdose

Smash Rookie

"I live just close enough to where I don't want to get a hotel for this but I also don't wanna drive two days." Probably wouldn't fly if it was used on something like Shuffle V or other two day events. o-o
They are also large enough to merit two days though. #Oneday

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Why is this 2 days, would love to come day with some guys from cincy but we will most likely pass because we dont want the brutal drive twice.

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
They are also large enough to merit two days though. #Oneday
With pools happening for all singles events and doubles for every event at this event idk if that's one day material. Especially with venue closing at 10pm iirc.

Edit - But yeah the reasons those are two day events is because they are very large scale.

Another Edit - I can see where holding doubles/singles for one game on one day is coming from. If two games were put up for day one but one of said two didn't finish then people would have to return the next day. Then they'd be really upset. I'm not a wizard so I can't tell how things will go. :/

Last edited:

kodeyluigi

Smash Apprentice
With pools happening for all singles events and doubles for every event at this event idk if that's one day material. Especially with venue closing at 10pm iirc.

Edit - But yeah the reasons those are two day events is because they are very large scale.

Another Edit - I can see where holding doubles/singles for one game on one day is coming from. If two games were put up for day one but one of said two didn't finish then people would have to return the next day. Then they'd be really upset. I'm not a wizard so I can't tell how things will go. :/
I have attended like 8 of these, there aren't gonna be enough people for time to really be an issue as long as the tournament is ran smoothly and TO on top of keeping the tournament flowing w/o any unnecessary stops. This should be 1 day

sneakytako

Smash Lord

It's happening now because it's more clear how big this event is going to be, and how unnecessary the 2nd day is.

Last edited:

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
It's happening now because it's more clear how big this event is going to be, and how unnecessary the 2nd day is.
Fair enough answer.

I have attended like 8 of these, there aren't gonna be enough people for time to really be an issue as long as the tournament is ran smoothly and TO on top of keeping the tournament flowing w/o any unnecessary stops. This should be 1 day
I've been to some too though and usually there aren't pools for everything and doubles for everything. In fact last time I went to an event at Get Your Game On Grand Finals of Brawl was taking place past closing time and the owner was gracious enough to let us stick around and play it out.

Last KY tourney that did pools/doubles on everything (P:M doubles being the only exclusion maybe) was Invasion. That had enough resources and was ran about as well as it could've been I'd say. I don't know when it ended but P:M pools weren't finished when I left and that was at least around 11.

tl;dr - I don't think it's unreasonable, still.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I mean, I prefer the one day to two. I don't want to set aside any game just so another game can be played but I am sure it can be organized in a fashion to where each game is played on a certain day instead of pools one day and bracket on another.

SaLt08

Smash Rookie
I must say that I agree with those who are wanting this to be a one day event. If there was some way to guarantee a large number if people, then two days would make sense, but as of now it should be one day.

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
No i sent ttar a pm I'm not against a 2 day event I just want to know if I can skip the pools day and just be a last seed in bracket

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
Another reason people want one day is so we can watch mlg sunday, lol. Just have melee on Saturday only, and everything else whenever. But do not change up the schedule too much, we do have OoS attendance, so we need to only change what will not harm other events/the plans of other attendees. So having the WHOLE event in one day - this close at least, is out of the question. Just have melee only on Saturday - even if that means starting early. Would you all be able to come earlier if melee was one day?

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Fair enough answer.

I've been to some too though and usually there aren't pools for everything and doubles for everything. In fact last time I went to an event at Get Your Game On Grand Finals of Brawl was taking place past closing time and the owner was gracious enough to let us stick around and play it out.

Last KY tourney that did pools/doubles on everything (P:M doubles being the only exclusion maybe) was Invasion. That had enough resources and was ran about as well as it could've been I'd say. I don't know when it ended but P:M pools weren't finished when I left and that was at least around 11.

Invasion had 4 setups for pm pools, I would hardly say they had enough resources/manpower for that event.

2 day tournaments are for 70+ people events, not 30 man tournies

Also consider how this will look from a National perspective. How willing do you think out of region people will be willing to travel if we can't run medium sized events in one day?

Last edited:

Broverdose

Smash Rookie
I agree we probably couldn't run all 3 events in one day due to the venues time constraints, but we should split the games between the days like others have said, my vote is melee + pm saturday and brawl sunday.

Last edited:

kodeyluigi

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough answer.

Not to call out any names but that's because TO's aren't always on top of their job. A TO's job is to run the tournament. Not enter every single event and play friendlies in their spare time. Again, not bashing anyone because I love our locals. But there's no reason everything can't be played out in a day, or split games up between days

Last edited:

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Out of state person here
I've gone to these before. Its a 3 hr drive. Making it two day for all the events is dumb. It forces me to find housing and what not, and forces me to waste my Sunday out of state. I'm in agreeance with everyone, and would highly prefer one day, or the games be spread to different days, as opposed to every game being twoday

Last edited:

Cantus

Smash Cadet
Not to call out any names but that's because TO's aren't always on top of their job. A TO's job is to run the tournament. Not enter every single event and play friendlies in their spare time. Again, not bashing anyone because I love our locals. But there's no reason everything can't be played out in a day, or split games up between days
Just to add to Wink's track record, he didn't even compete in Singles at his tournament because he was trying to make the tournament run smoothly.

Also, I'd like to point out that this tournament has 10 confirmed entrants with a week before it happens. Are we still sure two days are necessary?

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Honestly at this point, I'd rather, as a melee player, to remove pools and just hold the bracket on Saturday, so I can return home same day. Even if this means I fight say, Jiano round 1, salt round 2 somehow, go 0-2 and be done. At least then I can have my Sunday, play some friendlies after in out, ect.

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
I agree with everyone just pick a day for melee whether it be Saturday or Sunday or at least let ppl enter final bracket on sunday as bottom seeds. And it's def not my tournament so not trying to tell you all how to run your tournament but I just need some type of answer from someone running this if everything is staying the same? And if I can still get in bracket sunday? Or if melee will be changed to a single day?

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
Just letting people into bracket as lowest seed in the final bracket is not a good idea. >_> At that point there's no point to even doing pools. Pools are gonna be necessary for Melee imo. There are only a few players that are expected to get top seed of their pool.

As for splitting the tournament up, wouldn't it make more sense to do the highest volume tournament Saturday and then the other two Sunday or vice versa? Although I don't think I'll be coming unless Melee happens all on Saturday.

Last edited:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Edit:

So I'm a bit confused at the moment.

First of all, to everyone who wants it to be one day, consider this; in order to have a 2 day tournament, the TO needs to first negotiate with the venue to reserve the venue for 2 days. In order to make it 1 day, the TO would need to negotiate with the venue to cancel the Sunday reservation, which could get tricky and lame.

That being said, I want to understand what the expectation of the tournament was initially from the TO's standpoint. Like I said before, a 2 day tournament is generally a 70+ man tournament class. You need that many entrants to warrant asking for a venue for 2 days. But as of right now, all we have is seagull man, a bunch of IN KY people, and maybe Cinci for a total somewhere around 30. How many people did you expect to show up? From previous experiences at this venue, this venue can't hold 70+ people. Why did we want to do a 2 day tournament to begin with?

If the answer was because we wanted to do 6 events, that's super duper lame. That's just utter fail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom