• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jun 20, 2014] MLG Anaheim 2014 $15,000 Tournament! (Anaheim, CA)

Solid Jake

The Arcanum

We are pleased to announce Melee will return Major League Gaming for the first time since 2006 in Anaheim California on June 20-22. We will be running a series of global qualifiers, doubles, and crew battles at the event.

Buy your competitor or spectator pass now!

$55 per Player from March 14 to April 13
$65 per Player from April 14 to May 11
$75 per Player from May 12 to June 16
$125 per Player at Anaheim Check-In

Registered players list!

1st = $5000
2nd = $3000
3rd = $2000
3rd = $2000
5th = $1000
5th = $1000
7th = $500
7th = $500

February 22nd - 23rd | Shuffle V | Columbus, OH

March 29th | CEO Prologue | Orlando, FL

April 26th - 27th | Fighters' Edge Spring Champs | DuQuoin, IL

May 3rd-4th | WHOBO6 | Houston, TX

May 4th | Sumabato DX Melee 11 | Osaka, Japan

May 10th – 11th | Get On My Level | Toronto, Canada

May 17th - 18th | Republic of Fighters 3 | Paris, France

May 24th- 25th | Pat’s House 2 | San Diego, CA

May 31st - June 1st | SKTAR 3 | Somerset, NJ

If you win one of the Qualifier events you automatically qualify for Pool play at MLG Anaheim.
8 players will automatically qualify for pool play by winning qualifiers, and 4 players will qualify via pro points.

Pro Points = 2000 Series & 5000 Series

All Qualifiers are 2000 Series except for Fighters Edge (1000 Series) & SKTAR 3 (5000 Series)

1000 Series (Fighters Edge)
1st = 1000 Points
2nd = 600 Points
3rd = 440 Points
4th = 360 Points
5th - 6th = 320 Points
7th - 8th = 280 Points
9th - 12th = 220 Points
13th - 16th = 180 Points
17th - 24th = 120 Points
25th - 32nd = 80 Points

2000 Series
1st = 2000 Points
2nd = 1200 Points
3rd = 880 Points
4th = 720 Points
5th - 6th = 640 Points
7th - 8th = 560 Points
9th - 12th = 440 Points
13th - 16th = 360 Points
17th - 24th = 240 Points
25th - 32nd = 160 Points

5000 Series (SKTAR)
1st = 5000
2nd = 3000
3rd = 2200
4th = 1800
5th - 6th = 1600
7th - 8th = 1400
9th - 12th = 1100
13th - 16th = 900
17th - 24th = 600
25th - 32nd = 400
33rd - 48th = 300
49th - 64th = 200

Singles Open Bracket
Super Smash Bros. Melee 1v1
Up to 1024 Players
Double Elimination
Matches = Best of 3 Games

Pool Play
16 Players
12 Players start in Pool Play
8 Qualifier Winners
4 top of Pro Points
4 Players from the Open Bracket Winners Bracket\
8-Player Pools, play all Players in your Pool in 1 Match
Matches = Best of 5 Games

Championship Bracket
20 Players
Double Elimination (Players finishing 3rd-8th in their Pool and Players coming from the Open Bracket Losers Bracket start with 1 Match loss)
16 Pool Play Players
4 Players from the Open Bracket Losers Bracket
Matches = Best of 5 Games (Championship Match = Best of 11 Games)

2v2 Bracket
Details coming soon.

Starters/Neutrals:
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland

Counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium

Anaheim Marriott
700 Convention Way
Anaheim, CA

Hotel Rate: $165 single / double / triple / quad +17% tax
Registration Cutoff Date: May 27, 2014
Phone: 877-622-3056; Code: Major League Gaming
Distance from venue: Hotel is across from convention center and walking distance to multiple restaurants and disney land. Ihop, 711, subway, and more are all available.

BOOK ONLINE!

Hilton Anaheim
777 W Convention Way
Anaheim, CA

Hotel Rate: $150* single / double / triple / quad
Phone: 714-750-4321
Distance from venue: Hotel is across from convention center and walking distance to multiple restaurants and disney land. Ihop, 711, subway, and more are all available.

BOOK ONLINE!

Last edited:

Zhea

Smash Ace
@ Solid Jake Solid Jake is there any cheaper alternatives to the hotel you have linked in the description? I understand due to League the attendance is WAY higher for MLG then EVO, and therefore a much tighter demand on accommodations, but this straight up costs double what Evo booking costs.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
There are like 50+ hotels within walking distance of the venue. I stayed at a hotel for BlizzCon last year (same venue) that was like $120 a night. Just google hotels near anaheim convention center and tons of options will come up! Ill try to make time to make a list on the thread.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
The number of people who tried to buy passes initially actually broke the store. It will be back up early next week, sorry about that!

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
There are like 50+ hotels within walking distance of the venue. I stayed at a hotel for BlizzCon last year (same venue) that was like $120 a night. Just google hotels near anaheim convention center and tons of options will come up! Ill try to make time to make a list on the thread.
Define "walking distance"

I was under the impression that Socal cultural norms were, "If I can't literally see where I'm going from where I'm at, we're driving, no questions asked."

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
so why isn't this thread stickied?
Your guess is as good as mine!
Still no way to register? This is silly.
Passes go back on sale at 6PM ET tonight, sorry for the delay!

Define "walking distance"

I was under the impression that Socal cultural norms were, "If I can't literally see where I'm going from where I'm at, we're driving, no questions asked."
Within a mile or so there are tons of options. Having disneyland and the convention center right on top of each other = hotel land. There is seriously an insane number of options.

Last edited:

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Within a mile or so there are tons of options. Having disneyland and the convention center right on top of each other = hotel land. There is seriously an insane number of options.
Never been to California since I went to Disney as a kid...what better reason than for MLG? Heard great things about the convention center, and heard the MLG Anaheim event makes the Columbus one look like nothing.

Smash AND Starcraft? AM I DREAMING

Can't wait for this! Keep up the awesome work, MLG.

Amar

Last edited:

smashmachine

Smash Lord
hmmm
Where's the list of people who have registered, I remember back in 2010 there was a list for all games.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
You mean this?

http://team-builder.majorleaguegaming.com/events/113/teams

Someone else found that -- it might not be everyone who's registered though as there's some extra steps involved to make your name appear there or something. Like you get an e-mail and you need to confirm your registration, not sure. (I wouldn't know since I haven't bought a pass lol)
Yep that is the correct list. It will also show the rankings of players as the qualifiers progress

Srak

Smash Rookie
Strongly considering Driving from the esports desert that is kansas to make this happen... and im awful at melee

Hype

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Yep that is the correct list. It will also show the rankings of players as the qualifiers progress
ha look at those CoD numbers being inflated by incomplete teams

hey Revven that's a really PG version of your avatar you have there

Landry

Smash Ace
How is it that there's two 3rd place finishers and no 4th place?

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Solid Jake, why is SKTAR 3 worth more than the others?

How is it that there's two 3rd place finishers and no 4th place?
MLG format is weird *shots fired*, how I think it works is:
1. From the open bracket, 4 advance from winners and 4 from losers, this is the straightforward part....
2. There are 2 pools of 8 players each, each pool consists of 6 of the 12 top seeds and 2 of the players from winners open bracket.
3. After pool play, the 20 players in championship bracket are divided into 2 sub-brackets, with the 1st/2nd place from each pool in winners while the rest are in losers.
Basically (Pool A and Pool B):
Bracket 1 Winners: 1A vs 2B
Bracket 1 Losers: (2 open bracket losers players)-winner plays 8B, winner of that plays 7A, all the way down to 3A before winner of that finally players the loser of the winners match; same thing for the other bracket

tl;dr: MLG formats are complicated, better grab those top 12 seeds though

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Jake, is there room for North West Manifest to be among the qualifiers for Smash at Anaheim? The guy hosting it also hosts Gameclucks which might actually be the longest running melee series still active.

The region is also home to some really good players including Silent Wolf who got 9th at EVO last year.

http://northwestmajors.com/register

Last edited:

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Should we expect friendlies setups at all?
There will be friendlies Friday before the event starts, as well as later Saturday and Sunday once we have less matches going on simultaneously. Once we have a definite number of setups confirmed for the event it will be easier to say exactly how often friendlies will be available in the venue.

Jake, is there room for North West Manifest to be among the qualifiers for Smash at Anaheim? The guy hosting it also hosts Gameclucks which might actually be the longest running melee series still active.

The region is also home to some really good players including Silent Wolf who got 9th at EVO last year.

http://northwestmajors.com/register
We stopped accepting applications for qualifiers awhile back, we will hopefully do more seasons moving forward.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
What would happen if someone were to win more than one qualifier? Would there be one additional qualified player from pro points in that case? Just curious.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
What would happen if someone were to win more than one qualifier? Would there be one additional qualified player from pro points in that case? Just curious.
Correct. In the event a player wins multiple qualifiers the spot will go to a player based off points at the end of the season, rather than the runner up at that event.

Last edited:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Okay so I want to go to this. I am from New Jersey and will leave from Newark Airport. If anyone wants to room with me and split hotel costs at the Hilton please let me know.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh, funny that, Anaheim is one of the few places in USA i've actually been to. I get to visualise you all playing whilst hearing screams from the Tower of Terror all day/night long. :laugh:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Question for @ Solid Jake Solid Jake : so, it's my understanding that the winner of each qualifier receives an auto-bid into the championship bracket. What happens if the same player wins multiple qualifiers? Does that duplicate auto-bid free up space for an additional at-large bid?

Last edited:
Top Bottom