((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
- Jul 13, 2011
- 3DS FC
With special thanks to Preston
#11: Collision Course
Wait, Flaoc Is At This Tournament?
After a fun-filled May with Flaoc 10, Bottom Tier Battle 2, and Anime North within mere weeks of each other, at Flaoc 11 the community will open its doors to the other Smash game that's been a little down on its luck lately -- I am of course talking about the forgotten middle child, Brawl. After asking around, the 64 community's only real concern seemed to be to make sure we have enough space and time to run the tournament, meaning my iron fist will punch its way into action for yet another day.
(Previous chapter: http://smashboards.com/threads/401459/)
Date: Saturday June 13, 2015
Location: A & C Games, 452 Spadina Ave
Cost: $5 venue fee
$5 for Smash 64 singles
$5 per person ($10 per team) for Smash 64 doubles
$5 for Brawl singles
$5 per person ($10 per team) for Brawl doubles
(60-30-10 payout for dubs and pro singles)
- Explanation: The Venue Fee is the price we collectively pay to rent A&C's space, you give this money to the A&C employees when you walk in. The singles/doubles fee is what goes into the pot for the tournament winners, you give this money to me when I open registration.
Venue opens: 12:00 pm
Registration opens: 1:00 pm
Doubles registration closes: 2:00 pm
Doubles starts: 2:15 pm
Singles [both games] registration closes: 3:00 pm
Singles [both games] starts: 3:30 pm
Venue closes: 9:00 pm
You can play friendlies at any time that TVs are not being used for tournament matches. If you would like to set up another smash game, please wait until brackets are in top 8.
Smash 64 https://www.facebook.com/events/633936800040702/
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
- A controller. All players are advised to bring their own controllers. Sometimes there are spares, but there is no guarantee that there will be enough. A & C Games will also lend you a controller for $2.
- Note: For smash 64, I provide special adapters that will let you use any controller on a Nintendo 64 console, so long as your controller is USB compatible. However, one of my USB hubs is malfunctioning, and using any controller besides a keyboard can be quite temperamental. Please use a N64 controller if you can, so that people don't have to wait for you to play your match.
- I also provide direct gamecube-to-n64 adapters. I have 2 that can be borrowed.
- A Smash 64 cartridge, a Wii, and/or a Brawl disc. It's fine if you don't have one to bring. But we always need extras to make sure we have enough setups. Don't bring N64 consoles or TVs, the venue provides enough of those for us.
- Modded Brawl setups are allowed, provided there are absolutely no changes to gameplay. In-game textures are discouraged but not banned. Music, menu, and HUD changes are fine.
- If you provide equipment, please make sure it has your name on it somewhere. A & C Games can provide masking tape if you need it. I will not accept unlabeled equipment.
- Cash. I do not accept entry into singles or doubles with anything other than physical cash. No debit or credit. Make sure you have enough on you beforehand! And make sure you pay venue fee before attempting to join the tournament.
- Your friends. The more people that show up, the more matches everyone gets to play!
WHAT ARE THE RULES? (BRACKET FORMAT, GAMEPLAY, CONDUCT)
- All sets are best-of-3 games. Finals (Top 3) are best-of-5, in pro and amateur brackets.
- If any game results in a tie or sudden death, both players will play a 1 stock match (3 minutes in Brawl) to determine the winner.
- If 32 or more people attend for singles, this will be a three-stage tournament (not including doubles). Stage 1 is qualifier pools, Stage 2 is pro and amateur double-elimination brackets, Stage 3 is tiebreaker matches. Everyone will compete in Stage 1 and Stage 2. People who place 5th and below in either Stage 2 bracket will compete in Stage 3 (unless there was an odd number of entrants). This used to be 24, but pools of 3 are silly. 32 will be my minimum so the majority of pools will be 4 people.
- If less than 32 people attend for singles, this will be a two-stage tournament (not including doubles). Stage 1 is a double-elimination bracket, Stage 2 is tiebreaker matches. Everyone will compete in Stage 1. People who place 5th and below in Stage 1 will compete in Stage 2 (unless there was an odd number of entrants).
- Players may request a "button check" before beginning their set. (Start up on any stage to test out your buttons and make sure your controller is working properly, then exit the game, and start your set for real)
- If one player believes their opponent is purposely counterpicking their character on the select screen before the start of the first game, a Double Blind Pick may be requested. (Both players tell me their preferred character in private, and I will select for them.)
- If a player pauses mid-match, the opponent has the right to force the pauser to forfeit a stock if desired.
- Do not coach for longer than 30 seconds. We're trying to get matches done here.
- Please ask me (for 64) or Aaron (for Brawl) first before leaving the venue for food, smoke breaks, etc if you have any matches coming up. If we don't know where you are when your match comes up, you run the risk of being disqualified.
- If you are going to be late, text me BEFORE registration for your events closes. My phone does not vibrate for Facebook messages so I might not see it. If I don't see your message you're not going in bracket, so arrive on time.
- Please try not to disrupt tournament matches. If you need to ask a TO something, please wait until a break between games to ask.
- No alcohol in the venue, keep it in your bag.
- Please clean up after yourselves and throw your garbage out.
Smash 64 Rules - Modified Apex 2015 Ruleset
- 5 Stocks, no items, all characters legal, 1v1.
- All tournament sets start on Dream Land. (However, if both players agree to it, another stage may be used. This includes stages only accessible via Gameshark.)
- The loser of the previous game chooses the stage for the next game. The stage may be Dream Land, Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, or Hyrule Castle. (However, if both players agree to it, another stage may be used. This includes stages only accessible via Gameshark.)
- There are no stage bans. DSR and DMSR are NOT in effect.
- In doubles, people who use special controllers may only team together provided there are enough adapters for everyone to use in the event that they face each other.
- If a player uses Dark DK, Dark Samus, or Dark Captain Falcon on Kongo Jungle, the opponent may request the player to change colour. The request must be honoured if made before any damage is dealt by either player.
- All infinites past 300% (DK's grab release) are considered stalling and are banned.
Brawl Rules - Neo Canadia Ruleset
- 3 Stocks, items set to OFF and NONE, 1v1.
- Starter stages: Smashville, Battlefield, Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island [Brawl], Castle Siege, Pokemon Stadium 1. Striking order is 2-3-1. Players may either play rock-paper-scissors or each perform Judgment during a Game and Watch ditto to decide who strikes first.
- Counterpick Stages: Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Frigate Orpheon, Pokemon Stadium 2, Rainbow Cruise, and Brinstar.
- The loser of the previous game chooses the stage for the next game, but before they choose, the previous game's winner may ban 2 stages.
- Then, the winner of the previous game chooses character, and then the loser of the previous game chooses character. In Singles, if a counterpick (non-starter) stage was chosen, Meta Knight is conditionally banned with the following proceedings:
- If the winner WAS NOT Meta Knight in the previous game: neither player may use Meta Knight in this game.
- If the winner WAS Meta Knight in the previous game: the winner may stay Meta Knight and cannot be forced to switch. If the winner chooses to continue using Meta Knight, the loser may also use Meta Knight whether or not they were using that character in the previous game.
- Gentleman's Rule may override the conditional ban if both players agree to it.
- DMSR is in effect.
- Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned. All CGss/infinites past 300% are cnsidered stalling and are banned.
- Ledge grab limit is 35.
- Double Meta Knight is banned in doubles.
WILL THIS BE STREAMED? WHO CAN COMMENTATE?
The 64 tournament will be streamed at http://www.twitch.tv/pidgezero_one
The Brawl tournament will be streamed at http://www.twitch.tv/blacktwins13
Anyone can commentate. It does not matter how experienced you are as a commentator or as a player. If you have an interest in commentating, feel free to try it out. I can pair you with an experienced commentator to help you learn the ropes.
If you are leaving the commentary station, please find someone to replace you. I do not want gaps where we have no commentators. It looks terrible on all of us.
Swearing is permitted on commentary, but please try not to be too excessive.
I'M HUNGRY! WHERE CAN I EAT?
There is a Burger King and a Popeye's and a Mr. Sub across the street for starters. You can find all kinds of food around here since it's in the middle of downtown Toronto.
WHERE CAN I FIND MORE EVENTS LIKE THIS?
Bookmark http://ontario-smash.com to keep up with a province-wide Smash tournament schedule for 64, Melee, Brawl, Project M, and Smash 4. You can also find Facebook groups for your preferred games there.