• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Jumpman Dojo - Mario Video & Critique Thread II

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario Video & Critique Thread II

This is the new critique thread that will archive all videos from v1.1.1 and onwards.

This will be frequently updated as users post new videos. I understand that there's a lot of scattered Mario videos out there, but I'll only be adding what has been posted on this thread and what I personally find. If you feel a certain video deserves to be put on the list, just post it here and I'll add it.

All tournament videos will be on the next post. Any friendlies or For Glory matches will be archived on a separate post!

Keep in mind this is also a critique thread, so don't hesitate to ask for advice as well!

Reference: Old Video Archive Thread

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Tournament Videos
This list will be for videos that have been specifically recorded during tournament play. This means no friendlies. If you want your tournament video here, just post it and I'll add it.

This will be categorized by player. This is so fans of a specific player can easily find their videos.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Match Videos (Friendlies/For Glory)
Note: Format for all matches are Player(Mario) vs Player(Character) [MM/DD/YYYY] [Friendly/For Glory]

vs Bowser :4bowser:
N/A

vs Bowser Jr. :4bowserjr:
N/A

vs Captain Falcon :4falcon:
N/A

vs Charizard :4charizard:
N/A

vs Dark Pit :4darkpit:
N/A

vs Diddy Kong :4diddy:
N/A

vs Donkey Kong :4dk:
N/A

vs Dr. Mario :4drmario:
N/A

vs Duck Hunt :4duckhunt:
N/A

vs Falco :4falco:
N/A

vs Fox :4fox:
N/A

vs Ganondorf :4ganondorf:
N/A

vs Ike :4myfriends:
N/A

vs Jigglypuff :4jigglypuff:
N/A

vs King Dedede :4dedede:
N/A

vs Kirby :4kirby:
N/A

vs Link :4link:
N/A

vs Little Mac :4littlemac:
N/A

vs Lucario :4lucario:
N/A

vs Lucina :4lucina:
N/A

vs Luigi :4luigi:
N/A

vs Mario :4mario:
N/A

vs Marth :4marth:
N/A

vs Mega Man :4megaman:
N/A

vs Meta Knight :4metaknight:
N/A

vs Mii Brawler :4miibrawl:
N/A

vs Mii Gunner :4miigun:
N/A

vs Mii Swordfighter :4miisword:
N/A

vs Mr. Game&Watch :4gaw:
N/A

vs Ness :4ness:
N/A

vs Olimar :4olimar:
N/A

vs Pac-Man :4pacman:
N/A

vs Palutena :4palutena:
N/A

vs Peach :4peach:
N/A

vs Pikachu :4pikachu:
N/A

vs Pit :4pit:
N/A

vs R.O.B :4rob:
N/A

vs Robin :4robinm::4robinf:
N/A

vs Rosalina&Luma :rosalina:
N/A

vs Samus :4samus:
N/A

vs Sheik :4sheik:
N/A

vs Shulk :4shulk:
N/A

vs Sonic :4sonic:
N/A

vs Toon Link :4tlink:
N/A

vs Villager :4villager:
N/A

vs Wario :4wario:
N/A

vs Wii Fit Trainer :4wiifit::4wiifitm:
N/A

vs Yoshi :4yoshi:
N/A

vs Zelda :4zelda:
N/A

vs Zero Suit Samus :4zss:
N/A

Match Videos (Team Battles)
N/A

Highlight/Tutorial Videos
Mario Kill Confirms and Setups by Zenyou
Mario's Custom Specials
NualphaJPN's Smash Fundamentals Playlist

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, got some vids to post from this past weekly. Hope you enjoy! As far as any critique goes, I would like it to be focused on the ksev(fox) match. Thanks! On a side note, during the Mikey L(peach) matches, the power went out a few times, i only posted the main vid with most of the matches, but there's 2 others of game 1 that got cut off in the video history if you're interested.

Smashfield Weeklies (68 people)
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Vegata(Ike) [10/16/2015] [Smashfield Weeklies #11 WR2)
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Meatbeff(Yoshi) [10/16/2015] [Smashfield Weeklies #11 WR3)
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Nom(Fox) [10/16/2015] [Smashfield Weeklies #11 WR4, WQ)
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Mikey L.(Peach) [10/16/2015] [Smashfield Weeklies #11 LR8, LQ)
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Ksev(Fox) [10/16/2015] [Smashfield Weeklies #11 LR10, LF)

Last edited:

lukas5622

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, it's my first time posting here in Smashboards, I hope I'm not breaking any rule.

We were streaming yesterday and here is the record. http://www.twitch.tv/chuck610/v/21496540

I'm the Mario main "Cow" and I would really appreciate that you go through the record, watch some matches and give me any recommendation, I feel that I'm stuck at my level of play. Thanks a lot for your time.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Got another weekly here, was a bit more stacked than last time with quite a few of our PR players, Mikey L.s peach in particular seems to be a tricky fight for me, likely due to a lack of much peach experience. Any critique on the matches with him would be much appreciated, I feel like I'm underestimating fairs range alot but I'm not sure what else I'm doing wrong.

Smashfield Weeklies #12 (69 people)
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Vegata(Mario/Sheik) [10/24/2015] [Smashfield Weeklies #12 WR2)
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Mikey L.(Peach) [10/24/2015] [Smashfield Weeklies #12 WR3)
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Nom(Sheik) [10/24/2015] [Smashfield Weeklies #12 LR9)
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Loe1(Luigi/Pit) [10/24/2015] [Smashfield Weeklies #12 Losers Semis)
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Mikey L.(Peach) [10/24/2015] [Smashfield Weeklies #12 Losers Finals)

G Gary Green

Smash Cadet
NNID
gbartelloni
3DS FC
1349-7499-6127
Hello, I'm new to the Mario boards. but as of recently ive been loving messing around with my friends with Mario so much that i decided to add him to the mains. I haven't really had time to look at the advance tech. forum but i am playing to do so within the next two nights. It is an old video of Mario vs. Ness. Please be critical when reviewing. Thanks bruh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQG2UFLoAps

Xyless

Smash Master
http://youtu.be/9kQSdBa6aFs

I've been using a special brand of Mario (which has been coined [pun intended] "Mario Supreme") at Chicago tournaments the last few weeks, and this has been the best match I've had on stream so far. You guys will probably get a laugh out of it lol

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, got some more vids here from a tourney I was at yesterday! Ended up beating several of our PR players through winners and ended in in Grand finals when out of the blue our #4 PR picked little mac(his main is luigi and secondary is pit). I have just about no Little Mac exp vs anyone except really bad ones, and this showed really hard(hint, I got bodied and the salt is real with this).

He 3-0'd me which reset the bracket then we went to game 5 the second set where I ultimately lost ending at 2nd place. REALLY would like any and all advice on the mario/mac matchup, both advice and critique about my videos with him in grand finals.

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Yoshi K.(Palutena) [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Pools)
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Pulse Oblivion#15 PR(Diddy) [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Pools)
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Oblivion(Ness/Lucas) #15 PR [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Winners R2)
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Pulse Loe1(Luigi/Diddy) #4 PR [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Winners Semis)

Games I would specifically really appreciate feedback/support with since I felt like I was bodied.
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Pulse Loe1(Little Mac) #4 PR [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Pools Grand Finals R1 Best of 5)
Smasher1001(Mario) vs Pulse Loe1(Little Mac/Diddy) #4 PR [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Grand Finals R2 Best of 5)

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Loe1 is no joke. I'll look at them when I have time.
Would be much appreciated HeroMystic HeroMystic

I've got his luigi and pit on download atm, and I can counter his diddy with my mega or have a 50/50 with mario. But the sudden appearance of his pocket mac just socked me hard. Thinking back, I also lost to a Little Mac Main at super smash con too in losers, so I definitely need to figure this out for any future encounters, rare though they may be. Then again, Loe1 knows his mac beats me now, this may become a common fighting point for awhile.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Now this is how a thread is suppose to look like. Easy and readable to the eyes. (-_^)b

:pow:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Okay guys, serious business.

Hirosuma 2 Grand Finals: Ron (Mario) vs 9B (Ryu)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwsbMtXk4B8

This tournament was the most on point and dominant I'd seen 9B, then this Mario walks up and just dominates the match up. Comments say Ron is the top Japanese wifi warrior.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
College has been eating my face. Haven't had much time to do much of anything that doesn't involve that.

Can't make any promises but I'll try to view them tomorrow since it's Thanksgiving. That said would appreciate anyone who could critique.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Oh, i gotcha, real life can do that, I just figured I'd mention ya to hear whats up since it'd been awhile, no worries tho, whenever you have time is good by me!

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I'm using Mario against Meta-Knight in future tournaments. Did some friendlies with Orca - who is ranked 10th in GA - and picked 3 of our best matches. Critique would be highly appreciated!

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
10 matches of Mario vs. Sonic were uploaded on terminalkai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_B5ZNt1BxQ. It's all online, involves 16 different players, and it's 50 minutes of time well spent. Out of those 16 players, I only recognize KEN the Sonic player. Also, I haven't watched it entirely, so there's that, however, 50 minutes of 16 different play styles? Great way to study.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Did some matches against Scatt's Sheik online. Critique would be much appreciated since Mario will be my go-to character against Sheik on occasions.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Did some matches against Scatt's Sheik online. Critique would be much appreciated since Mario will be my go-to character against Sheik on occasions.

I see you're a rushdown Mario and that's cool, but:
You have got to calm down and stop hitting buttons lol. Multiple times in the beginning, you were baited into attacking and got smacked for it. You have to learn to be patient and do nothing. You began to turn it around at the end with some mix ups and whatnot, in general, you have to learn to do nothing sometimes. Heck, I've noticed scatt loves to throw needs to punish your landing. What you could've done, if you watched him a bit more carefully and didn't try to constantly harass him, was reflect needles to avoid damage and possibly stop him from a possible future assault. I think jumping around him and provoking him would tell you all about his patterns and such. I've also seen you go for tons of Usmash during the middle of vid, and while I can see its use for confusion and possible connection, I advice throwing 3-4 out in quick succession, then waiting (and fake baiting, as in, jumping around the opponent pretending to fish for a KO move) 30s before throwing another out where you think scatt. Or another opponent, is gonna rush in.

Last edited:

Steroidism

Smash Rookie
Hey guys this is Zenyou! I just came out with my own personal Mario combo/tribute video. Feel free to check it out! Maybe it'll give you guys some ideas on some fancy combos you can do. I hope you guys enjoy it. :)

Last edited:

Odeclas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ulachagi
3DS FC
0877-1612-1511
Hey guys, I was looking for some constructive criticism on a couple of replays. If there's anything you see that I should do more, should do less, or shouldn't do at all, please let me know!

Norb

Smash Rookie
So this thread is for advices on Mario mains? I recently changed from Captain Falcon and I feel really confortable but I dont really know what should I need to improve. I have been practicing B reversals but one thing I have noticed is that I dont use the fire balls really much (probably because I was maining Falcon), also practicing jump cancels like Fludd into up smash or reversal up smash. Still I really want to get better but dont know how

I wanted to upload a match where I lost because I think I would have shown all the areas I had to improve but damn new patch....

Here is my only battle with mario left hehe

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
So this thread is for advices on Mario mains? I recently changed from Captain Falcon and I feel really confortable but I dont really know what should I need to improve. I have been practicing B reversals but one thing I have noticed is that I dont use the fire balls really much (probably because I was maining Falcon), also practicing jump cancels like Fludd into up smash or reversal up smash. Still I really want to get better but dont know how

I wanted to upload a match where I lost because I think I would have shown all the areas I had to improve but damn new patch....

Here is my only battle with mario left hehe

The beginning part of the match looked like you were just throwing out Nairs and an occasional Fair/Dair like you were trying to hit the ducks it started getting better as the match progressed but I would recommend not committing to something too quickly. Also try not to use Fair while landing unless you are sure you'll hit them with a hard read. The landing lag is guaranteed to be punish on shield so use Nair And Dair instead.
You were getting too predictable by running up to the opponent and shielding. You should mix up your approaches more and try to use the fireballs to put pressure on your opponent and approach from behind the fireball and punish their options based on what they do.
Don't be afraid to move forward with Nair and hit them with the weak part of the hit box. You can follow up with jab or a grab and the same with Dair. Also Nair knocks Fox out of Fire Fox with its long hit box and very easy to abuse lol. Not sure if it works on Fox but try using Up B when he uses Rapid jab. It works on some characters but I can't remember who it works on aside from CF.

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
I'm a newer player, looking for some advice on how to improve my game, particularly with Mario. Went to my first tournament last Saturday, came in 4th out of like 12. Not too bad, I didn't go 0-2 so I was pretty satisfied.

This is a video of me vs another Mario. I am the red mario. Any tips big or small would be helpful. I know some of the things that I do wrong but hearing them from someone else wouldn't hurt.

Sorry about the video quality, I had to record it with my phone because uploading it from my wii u wasn't working out.

Thanks in advance! :4mario:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I'm a newer player, looking for some advice on how to improve my game, particularly with Mario. Went to my first tournament last Saturday, came in 4th out of like 12. Not too bad, I didn't go 0-2 so I was pretty satisfied.

This is a video of me vs another Mario. I am the red mario. Any tips big or small would be helpful. I know some of the things that I do wrong but hearing them from someone else wouldn't hurt.

Sorry about the video quality, I had to record it with my phone because uploading it from my wii u wasn't working out.

Thanks in advance! :4mario:
A few things I've noticed is the lack of Nair. The opponent is the only one that used it and they only used it 3 times the entire match.. Nair is as good as Dair minus the multiple hits and is a lot better as an approach than Fair because of the landing lag. You should almost never use fair on a grounded opponent unless you get a hard read off of a roll or a spot dodge. Leave that to either Dair or Nair as their landing lag allows for more options if they shield and aren't as punishable on shield.
Try to grab your opponent more instead of relying on jab when you shield their attack like Mario's slide (dash attack) and either Dthrow or Uthrow depending on the opponents HP percentage and combo them off the option you take. Jab is good but you'll want to do more damage than jab can do and a uair or Utilt string on them is always rewarding. Also if they go up too high for utilt Up B is Also usable out of Dthrow aside from Uair..

Up throw can lead to Dair then to either Bair or Fair depending on where they are at when they get hit during the final hit of Dair.

Also watch how early you use FLOOD. Using it too early doesn't apply the pressure when they're trying to recover..

Only noticed it on the opponent because your Mario wasn't in that many positions but don't forget Mario can wall jump to improve his recovery so he doesn't need to up b to reach the stage or grab the ledge.. Up b is severely punishable if it doesn't allow Mario to auto-snap the ledge. Don't know if you implement the wall-jump but I thought it worth mentioning since they didn't need to up b if they wall jumped at those times..

Also if they hang on the ledge too long don't forget to use dash attack on them and interrupt their ledge time :p

Top Bottom