• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest FORWARD SMASH WEEKLY at Gamers World Vernon Hills!

FORWARD SMASH WEEKLY at Gamers World Vernon Hills!
Posted by colonpls
Gamers World Vernon Hills
Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 06:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/Chicago)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Chicago

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

colonpls

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sully245
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #e0e0e0} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #e0e0e0; min-height: 14.0px} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #e0e0e0; min-height: 15.0px} span.s1 {text-decoration: underline}

Hello all Chicagoland Sm4sh Players!

GO TO OUR FACEBOOK PAGE FOR UPDATES.

IF IT IS CANCELLED IT WILL BE HERE.

https://www.facebook.com/ForwardSmashWeekly/

Welcome to the Saturday weekly tournament for Smash 4 singles!

Signups for both games start at 2:45 PM. Brackets start at 3PM SHARP*

1 DOLLAR ENTRY FOR SINGLES

1 DOLLAR ENTRY FOR SIDE EVENT

PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER!!!

FAQ:

----------

WHERE IS GAMER'S WORLD LOCATED?

Gamer's World is located inside of the Vernon Hills Hawthorn Mall, next to the Guess store on the upper-level Macy's side of the mall.

122 Hawthorn Center, Vernon Hills, IL 60061

----------

HOW DO PAYOUTS WORK?

***THERE ARE CASH PRIZES***

Since the event is only $1, the winner of the tournament gets half of all of the entry fees. The other half of this money goes towards equipment, DLC for setups, etc. to keep the weekly running as efficiently as possible. Thank you for supporting us!

----------

WHAT IS THE RULESET?

Smash 4:

The bracket is double elimination.

Legal stages are:

Battlefield*

FD**

Smashville

Town & City

Lylat Cruise

Counterpick stages:

Dreamland*

Omega** (Wily’s Castle, Suzaku Castle, Midgar)

*If Battlefield is banned, Dreamland is banned and vice versa.

**If FD is banned, omegas are banned and vice versa.

Match Procedure:

1. Players select their characters.

2. Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner strikes 2 non Counter-Pick stages and Loser picks from the rest.

3. The players play the first match of the set.

5. Winning player of the preceding match bans 1 stage from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick.

6. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set unless agreed.

7. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.

8. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.

9. The next match is played

----------

WHAT'S THE FOOD AND DRINK POLICY?

Food and drinks are allowed, but please try to not spill. Also, please throw out your garbage when you're done with your food/drinks.

----------

WHAT IF I FORGET MY GAMECUBE CONTROLLER?

We will do our best to bring extras, but please try and remember to bring one. Who wants to play with a random controller, anyways?

----------

****, MY PHONE/PRO CONTROLLER IS DEAD. WHAT DO?

I usually bring lightning, micro USB, and mini USB cables as well as a battery pack! Please ask me if you need one.

----------

CAN I PAY WITH MY DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD?

Currently, no. Please make sure to bring cash.

----------

WHAT ABOUT DOUBLES?

We have a doubles bracket right after singles! $2 Dollar entry per team.

----------

CAN WE PLAY FRIENDLIES WHEN WE ARE NOT COMPETING?

At the time, we have 4-5 set-ups. Once Winners Finals are done, usually a couple setups open up for friendlies.

Gl4dius

Smash Rookie
I've been to this a few times. It was a blast playing with you guys! :D
Also, you might want to change the second sentence, since there doesn't seem to be any reference to Melee anywhere else.

I might help host a Melee tourney there soon...

Gl4dius

Smash Rookie
UPDATE: I'm going to help host the Melee tourney this coming Saturday, I made a separate forum post explaining the details.

JTDUNX

Smash Rookie
This Saturday I'll be going to Mashfest 2, so in my stead I will be sending my friend Ronan, whose tag is Rojan. I invite you guys to come to Mashfest 2, but if not, I'll see you next week.

Dr. Windbox

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThatFalconMain
3DS FC
0791-4713-7838
Will this be every Saturday? How many people do you usually get? When can we know the times?

Meizuba

Smash Rookie
Based on the upcoming events at the top of the listing, it seems like this is weekly. But I could just be making an assumption with no ground. I would love to know how many people generally show up as well.

Also, controller restrictions? I use the Pro Controller, but I have heard of tournaments that ban anything but GameCube controllers. I haven't specifically found a tournament that states Pro Controllers aren't permitted. But people say they exist.

colonpls

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sully245
Will this be every Saturday? How many people do you usually get? When can we know the times?
For the time being, this is weekly. We usually have 10-16 people, most being regular. All controllers are permitted.
Times will be posted on the facebook page every Saturday or Friday. This also means IF IT IS CANCELLED FOR THE WEEK IT WILL BE ON FACEBOOK. PLEASE check the page every time before coming.

Based on the upcoming events at the top of the listing, it seems like this is weekly. But I could just be making an assumption with no ground. I would love to know how many people generally show up as well.

Also, controller restrictions? I use the Pro Controller, but I have heard of tournaments that ban anything but GameCube controllers. I haven't specifically found a tournament that states Pro Controllers aren't permitted. But people say they exist.
For the time being, this is weekly. We usually have 10-16 people, most being regular. All controllers are permitted.

The reason that pro controllers are banned at some tournaments is that it stays connected to the system until the battery is gone or you press the sync button. This means that when you put your controller in your bag and you forget to press the button, it could **** up the setup and cause difficulties with playing, usually resulting with shutting down the setup, and wasting lots of time at huge tournaments.
Since we're very small scale, this isn't a problem.
Some tourneys make you take the battery out and have you use the charging cable because of this issue.

Rocky218

Smash Rookie
Just looked at this. I live like 40-50 mins away and this seems very interesting. Im going to give it a try and bring along 4 friends to participate. Haven't participated in something like this. Looking forward to it.

golfingwill

Smash Rookie
I'm also interested in joining! I was thinking of maybe bringing a friend or two if they are free from work. I've watched competitive and would kind of like to learn more about it like stages and tiers and improve my skills as well!

colonpls

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sully245
I'm also interested in joining! I was thinking of maybe bringing a friend or two if they are free from work. I've watched competitive and would kind of like to learn more about it like stages and tiers and improve my skills as well!
Great!! Please arrive at 2:45 for signups! Ask anyone there questions you may have.

SillySymphony

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1977-0515-5257
Will these other setups you mentioned have gamepads as well? I only play with the gamepad although I do have a gamecube adaptor.

SillySymphony

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1977-0515-5257
All of our setups have gamepads. You are welcome to use them.
Thanks. One last question I had was are people encouraged to bring TVs as well or are there some there to use? I could bring both my wii u and a TV.

Bananafone36

Smash Rookie
i was wondering if you have to be over 18 to compete in this tourney? im 15 and have been trying to get in the competitive smash
scene and this tourney looks great!

colonpls

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sully245
Thanks. One last question I had was are people encouraged to bring TVs as well or are there some there to use? I could bring both my wii u and a TV.
If you bring a setup (TV, wii u, and gc adapter) then it's 2.50 for singles instead of 5. Highly encouraged!!

colonpls

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sully245
i was wondering if you have to be over 18 to compete in this tourney? im 15 and have been trying to get in the competitive smash
scene and this tourney looks great!
Lmao all tourneys are all ages. If you come Saturday, arrive at 2:45 and please bring a controller.

Dr. Windbox

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThatFalconMain
3DS FC
0791-4713-7838
I might come to the one this Saturday? I always enjoy coming and playing some games! Also colonpls colonpls do your remember me? From Midwest Mayhem 4?

BoBoMuNcHcRunCH

Smash Rookie
I'm planning to go to this on Saturday, August 6. I was wondering, how many doubles teams are there normally, as I'm wondering if I should enter in doubles

Matthewman22

Smash Rookie
I'm very interested in joining and I think it might help to improve my smash skills! I play both smash 4 and Melee but I haven't seen any info on Melee. Are there Melee tournaments here as well or just smash 4 tournaments? Thank you for your time. -Matthew

SuperAoK

Smash Rookie
I'm very interested in going since there are zero weeklies near me. Since this lands on my birthday, and I'll be turning 15, I'll see if my mom will take me and a friend or two. Fingers crossed i'll be able to go to the september 3rd event (since that is my birthday) and i have a strong feeling if i tell me mom it's my gift she'll take me for sure lmao. Also question, what if we can't bring a full setup and we can only bring a game cube adapter?

colonpls

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sully245
I'm very interested in joining and I think it might help to improve my smash skills! I play both smash 4 and Melee but I haven't seen any info on Melee. Are there Melee tournaments here as well or just smash 4 tournaments? Thank you for your time. -Matthew
Nope, no melee. Sorry I didn't respond earlier!

SpoutSoul

Smash Rookie
heya, are these events still happening or have they finished? If they haven't i plan on going today

Dr. Windbox

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThatFalconMain
3DS FC
0791-4713-7838
I'm honestly getting kinda pissed. This is the second week in a row that I have showed up at Gamers world, and there hasn't been a tournament. You have it listed on here that you are having it today, but when I show up, I'm told: No the guy who runs it couldn't make it. There isn't a tournament here today. I wasted time driving out here because this post says it is there, but then it isn't. Update this website if you can't run the tournament so people don't waste their time.

SuperAoK

Smash Rookie
When i went it was a great experience although many of my opponents and my friends opponents were very rude judging us by age and not skill. I'd love to go again but since it's an hour out and people seem to be going but it not being ran i really can't risk it and go.

SuperAoK

Smash Rookie
BTW i was the Corrin main Heroes and one of my friends wasn't pikz and he played Megaman just in case you're able to remember us

colonpls

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sully245
I'm honestly getting kinda pissed. This is the second week in a row that I have showed up at Gamers world, and there hasn't been a tournament. You have it listed on here that you are having it today, but when I show up, I'm told: No the guy who runs it couldn't make it. There isn't a tournament here today. I wasted time driving out here because this post says it is there, but then it isn't. Update this website if you can't run the tournament so people don't waste their time.
Dr. Windbox Dr. Windbox As it says at the top of the description, all cancellations are through our facebook page. If there isn't an event listed for that week by friday, the tournament won't be run.

Top Bottom