• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Juice Gaming presents: CONCENTRATE - MK BANNED - PLEASE BRING TVs

What ruleset (stock/time) should be run at this tournament?

• Two stock, five minute timer. Meta Knight LEGAL in SINGLES AND DOUBLES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two stock, five minute timer. Meta Knight BANNED in SINGLES AND DOUBLES

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Two stock, five minute timer. Meta Knight BANNED in DOUBLES

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Three stock, eight minute timer. Meta Knight LEGAL in SINGLES AND DOUBLES

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Three stock, eight minute timer. Meta Knight BANNED in SINGLES AND DOUBLES

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Three stock, eight minute timer. Meta Knight BANNED in DOUBLES

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Three stock, ten minute timer. Meta Knight LEGAL in SINGLES AND DOUBLES

• Three stock, ten minute timer. Meta Knight BANNED in SINGLES AND DOUBLES

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Three stock, ten minute timer. Meta Knight BANNED in DOUBLES

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
PLEASE BRING SETUPS. YOU WILL BE COMPENSATED $5 OF YOUR VENUE FEE.

Livestream Link: http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun

ALLISBRAWL PAGE

Introduction

After a long hiatus from the Smash community, 100% Juice is back with a hype new tournament at an awesome venue! Depending on the success of our first event here, the venue is rather interested in having us host regularly, perhaps on a monthly basis. For this first tournament, we may be running an alternative ruleset if enough attendees are interested!

The Venue

Address

LOCAL BATTLES
1207 Anderson Avenue
Fort Lee, New Jersey

Details

Fort Lee is right next to New York City--in fact, the George Washington Bridge is located in this town. There's a bus stop right across the street, and this is one of the easiest venues to access! There is also plenty of food easily within walking distance.

Local Battles has only been open for a few months, but has already broken out in the fighting game community, making a huge splash in Mortal Kombat, SSF4, and MvC3. Now, by partnering with Juice, they're gonna be bringing you the next level of gaming in Smash!

The place is mostly a lan center, with a few used games, but they're all ready to make our event a huge success! We'll have roughly 50% of the store dedicated to this event, and a professional level stream coming your way!

Air conditioned, tons of seating, and it's run by a group of really fantastic people!

Being able to host at this venue is undoubtedly a great opportunity for the community, and we need to take advantage of that.

The Schedule

Venue opens: 11:00 P.M.
Doubles starts (ideally): 12:00 P.M.
Singles starts (ideally): 4:00 P.M.
Venue closes: 10:00 P.M.

PLEASE do not be late. The store closes at 10, and I do not want to stress the owner by having to stay open past his hours. I'll say it once--I am going to be extremely strict with signups at this tournament. Do not tempt fate or the event will start WITHOUT YOU.

The Stream

100% Juice will be live streaming this event at: http://www.justin.tv/JuiceHUB

Only approved commentators will be allowed on the microphone. We are going to enforce a very strict conduct code while on the microphone. In the interest of upholding a professional image, using profanity on the stream is absolutely not okay. Whether you want to have a professional image or not is up to you, but our crew and this store do, and we ask you to please respect that. Anything said on the stream is a reflection on the individual, the community, 100% Juice, and Local Battles.

In addition to "cuss words" that would be censored on this site, any usage of the words "gay" and "****" in a negative or derogatory manner is also strictly prohibited. You're speaking to the entire Internet, including potential newcomers to the scene--be sensible with what you say. A truly capable commentator can communicate what he means without these words.

The Rules

Meta Knight will be banned in both singles and doubles.

All other rules will be in accordance the BBR-RC Unity ruleset, which is as follows.

General Gameplay Rules
  1. 3 Stocks
  2. 8 Minute Time Limit
  3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
  4. All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
  5. Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch are banned.
  6. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight and 50 for all other characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  7. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  8. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 13 is used for Meta Knight, and 18 for all other characters.

Modified Rules for Doubles
  1. Team Attack set to "On"
  2. Life stealing is allowed.
  3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
  4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
  5. If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Set Procedure
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 2-3-1 (Team 1 strikes two stages, followed by Team 2 striking three stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).​

Stage List

Starters | Counterpicks
Battlefield|Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege|Brinstar
Final Destination|Delfino Plaza
Lylat Cruise|Pokémon Stadium 2
Pokemon Stadium 1|Rainbow Cruise
Smashville|Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)|

Conduct Rules
  1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  2. Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
  3. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
  4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
  5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
  6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
  7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
  8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
  10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
    • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
    • The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
    • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
  11. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistents, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

We hope to see everyone here and have a great, successful event!

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
The rules are interesting cuz the less stock/time rules encourage me to play like a campy pro.

The regular rules are blah, MK being banned sounds pretty legit. Cuz that makes my life here easier.

And the more time rule might mean less planking/camping because of how much time you'll end up devoting to it. (But it doesn't really change much in my opinion.)

Sounds interesting, I don't really mind what happens because it seems really damn interesting.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I'm definitely interested, regardless of the eventual ruleset. Good to see a poll and interest in trying something new though ;D

As far as rulesets go, are you going to consider overlap in the polls? For example, I can definitely see the current voting in favor of banning MK in doubles, but no so much for singles.

:059:

:phone:

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
Jose's reference is tearing me apart.
Doom please for the love of God host this nicely. Get rid of brinstar and have Meta banned in doubles. The rest play it like a normal tourney. You yourself know banning mk Is crippling a game we don't ban sagat at sf4 do we -.-

I'm still up in the air on weather to go 2 stock 6 minutes. 5 minutes seem awkward for some reason lol too easy to time out... if for testing purposes just do it 2 stocks 6 mins but I suggest 3 and just no mk in dubz

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Seph how do you say banning MK is crippling when you're like sure ban him in dubs! You're trying to compare Smash to SS4 but not even compare Brawl Singles to Brawl Doubles lol.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
Seph how do you say banning MK is crippling when you're like sure ban him in dubs! You're trying to compare Smash to SS4 but not even compare Brawl Singles to Brawl Doubles lol.
Well I couldn't find a better comparison at the time. But mk isn't broken in singles *see dehf, brood, ally when he was snake.

In doubles on the other hand I've never seen a top 5 without someone having a mk and mostly double meta team literally every semi to grand final. Its out of hand in doubles .. imagine all the new strats, viable chars and crazy teams who wont enter cuz they hate seeing quad Meta finals. Team attendance died so much this year cuz of iteveryone knows who will win.imagine for the first time doing doubles and seeing how crazy the new results would be new lucario+warrio tactics or some great Kirby+snake tricks that arnt possible now cuz of 2-4 Meta rampage. Tornado is redicilous in team and gimps and shuttle loop hit more than they should. So having mk doubles-less would increase attendance while doing that to singles would put off players too much especially in nj.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Doom please for the love of God host this nicely. Get rid of brinstar and have Meta banned in doubles. The rest play it like a normal tourney. You yourself know banning mk Is crippling a game we don't ban sagat at sf4 do we -.-

I'm still up in the air on weather to go 2 stock 6 minutes. 5 minutes seem awkward for some reason lol too easy to time out... if for testing purposes just do it 2 stocks 6 mins but I suggest 3 and just no mk in dubz

Sagat isn't even broken.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
If mk is banned in doubles I'll actually enter doubles for once.
And my point is proven! lol so would tons of ppl who shy away from doubles cuz double Meta is too much and 4x Meta finals suck.

I'm also not talking about this tourney in specific I'm saying anyone can pickup a lnew doubles main but hardcore Meta mains wont drop him in singles. So he's fine for singles. And will increase doubeles as shown by above post.

Sorry for sounding ******** btw I'm driving lmao

Max Ketchum

Your point didn't need to be proven...we all know MK is stupid in teams. A lot of us just happen to think that he is in singles, as well.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
Not 100% confirmed seeing as I'll be in school mode, but this is really easy to get to so I may just bring textbooks and stuff and I really hope the whole 2 stocks/5 minute thing happens.

It'll make it really interesting.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Doom, are you going to be addressing ruleset overlap at all? For example, with the poll as is, the winning ruleset is 2 stock 5 minutes MK banned in all events, with 6 votes. Next places are 3 stock 8 minutes MK legal in both with 5 votes, MK banned in both with 4 votes. But technically, you have.

10 MK banned votes.
5 MK legal votes.

6 Two stock Five Minute votes.
9 Normal settings votes.

I just sort of took the largest three numbers to use, but there are other votes in there as well. Just wondering how you've decided to take the poll results.

Max Ketchum

Once this poll is over, I will address ruleset overlap. The overlap will be taking effect.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Do you realize why Ally is no longer Snake?

METAKNIGHT!

People like me who are below Ally's skill can begin to threaten him in tournament because he was not Metaknight.

That being said, there has to be a best character somewhere. I wish that best character didn't have 0 MU weaknesses though.

I'm probably going to come to this tourney, even if I don't enter. I may request to do commentary.

If I had my choice in Ruleset, it would be 2 stock, SIX minutes, MK banned in doubles only. I find that combating players in singles with "Not MK" is possible if I'm using an alternative top tier character that I have some skill with (Marth, Falco, my Snake on a good day), but MK allows players far below my skill level to compete with me in doubles at a ridiculous margin. I instantly select MK if there is even one MK on the opposing team, because few to no other characters have the options to deal with his options in a double's format. Exceptions include friendlies where I want to stress myself to improve more.

Of course, I am not entering the tournament, so I don't really have a strong preference in this case, but I wanted to provide my own experiences as a case study for data collection.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I was trying to hype this up a bit at KTAR, most people seemed interested in the prospect of MK being banned. Pretty sure that it's going to be an MK-banned tournament at this rate, which'll be a refreshing change of pace :3

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Poll totals so far when accounting for overlap (3 days left):

3 stock 8 minute timer: 19/34 = 56%
MK banned in singles: 20/34 = 59%
MK banned in doubles: 25/34 = 73%

Looks like we're about to have NJ's first MK banned tournament. Hype!

Doom, maybe send a PM to the BBR-RC about getting this stickied as an Experimental Unity tournament once the poll closes? If they ask you to collect data and stuff I'm down to help out any way I can if you need it.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Hey Doom, did the owner put up flyers for this event at the store like he did for the last one? Without any smashboards or aib advertizing there was about 20 entrants there.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I honestly don't understand why this event doesn't have more hype. It's probably going to be trying something new, something a lot of people ***** and moan about online, something I've heard people express genuine interest in when talking to them about it in person. Where the hell are all these people?

Pretty stupid imo. Everyone should go anyways.

Keitaro

I voted 3 stock, 10 min timer, mk banned in doubles but if possible id like to change my vote to 3 stock, 8 min timer, mk banned in doubles.

Keitaro

My post asking about the flyers was meant for hype and to cause more discussion in the thread, especially between me and you Doom. Cmon!!

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Yeah, this definitely needs more hype. I just assume not that many people use smashboards anymore.
BTW, I'M COMING! Looking forward to seeing everyone again, and i'm going to see how i can do after not attending for a few months! :D

Keitaro

I wouldn't say that. lol at me for keeping count, but KTAR 4, 5, and 6 had 25 pages, 28 pages, and 42 pages respectively and thats with 40 posts per page.

To keep the thread active, I, the host, posted random stuff consistently to help build hype.

Doom did just move into college recently so he may be a tad busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom