• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Journey To The West! – Official Goku For Smash Support Thread (Not DBZ Related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Official Goku Support Thread

Hello, everyone I’ve decided to make a support thread for Goku, although it’s late in the game, and highly unlikely that we’ll see Goku in Smash, I figure there’s still a chance. Also before I begin I’m not talking about the Goku you’re probably thinking of, so let me explain.

Since Goku (DBZ Version) is often requested over miiverse either by kids, trolls, or fan boys. I thought to myself “what could Sakurai do in response to this, if he acknowledges it, or if it’s somehow gotten to his attention through the grape vine. I figure the best response would be to make the version of Goku that they own playable. That version is as follows;

Goku was the main character in “Famicom Mukashibanashi: Yūyūki” or otherwise known as “Famicom Fairytales: Yuyuki” or simply “Yūyūki”. Which is a 1989 text-based adventure video game title developed by Nintendo EAD and Pax Softnica and published by Nintendo exclusively in Japan for the Family Computer Disk System. It is the second of the Famicom Mukashibanashi series, following the release of Shin Onigashima. The game is loosely based on the Chinese novel Journey to the West. Ironically the same novel Dragon Ball Z’s Goku was based off of.

The driving force behind the series, Tatsuya Hishida of Nintendo EAD, was responsible for directing the game, creating the characters, and crafting the story line. The game consists of two disks, released on October 14, 1989 and November 14, 1989 respectively.

Other Interesting Facts

Goku or another character from the franchise have actually made cameo’s in Kirby games, which we all know were made by the one and only Sakurai. Who is also making Smash Bros… Goku and Chao appeared in Kirby's Dream Land 3, released in 1997. Finding Goku and Chao on a certain level awards the player an item needed to defeat the final boss of the game.

Chao (from the same franchise as Goku) appears in the Japanese version of Kirby's Dream Land 2, which was released in 1995 (in international versions, Chao is replaced by Blob). The player's progress is shown in percentage on the menu screen in this game, and the only way to reach 100% is to rescue Chao from a certain mini-boss. The picture shown on the sound test screen is a parody of a scene in Yuyuki.

A characters from the first installment of the Mukashibanashi series (Shin Onigashima) has made appearances in Smash games. In Melee, Donbe and Hikari appear as a fully 3D collectible trophy. In Brawl, Young Donbe artwork also appears as a collectible sticker. Also "Shin Onigashima" is a selectable song on the Ice Climber "Summit" stage. The song combines the title theme, "Chapter 1 - At Home" and "Chapter 4 - Neighboring Village" parts of Shin Onigashima. This could be evidence that Sakurai could remember these old series and use Goku from the second installment in the series, if so inspired to do so from miiverse.

Pictures

Cliffs
- Good/ funny response to miiverse requests.
- First party character.
- Appeared in Kirby games.
- Possible fit for a WTF character.
- Possible fit for a retro character.
- Other characters from the Mukashibanashi series have appeared in Smash.

If anyone wants to create a move set or fan art/ concept art i'll post it in the OP later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom