• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jonny Westside: The Samus That Shook ESAM Saga

It's not too often a Samus is seen doing well in Smash 4, let alone placing in the within the top 8. Adding on an event with some of the best talent SoCal has to offer with ESAM and ZeRo himself coming alone it would seem even less likely. But Jonny Westside threw all that out the window.

Former Project M Snake main once within the top three PM players of SoCal, Jonny Westside has been applying his skills towards Samus in Smash 4 and made a big splash at 2GGT: ESAM Saga last night After beating Mr. ConCon in a surprising upset and even taking a game off ZeRo himself Jonny sat down for an interview to talk about the event, Smash 4 Samus, and more.

---​

SmashCapps: Thanks so much for the interview! Now down to business. What inspired you to use Samus in Smash 4?

Jonny Westside: She's my favorite Nintendo character period. If Brawl/PM didn't feature Snake playable, I would've mained her but seeing as how Snake didn't return I stuck with her and here we are. Haha, I really owe it to my girlfriend for pushing me to not give up with Samus so here's to Lynn!

SC: It's not often we get to see Samus getting 7th at an event. What was going through your mind during that match against Mr. ConCon?

JW: I was confident against ConCon from the get go. I believe Samus has a good MU if played correctly and patiently. I feel like I demonstrated it on stream even though it was a close set the fundamentals were there. He and I had played previously a few months after the Wii U version of smash was released and I beat him then so in lifetime sets we're 2-0 my favor. Mr. CC is a monster no doubt and after this set he'll definitely be gunning for me haha.

SC: So you may have a good matchup against Luigi but how about Sheik? Not too many people have honestly taken games away from ZeRo in tournament. What were your thoughts going in and do you think you could take him if you met again?

JW: After feeling him out he's no different than the other Sheiks that have beaten me. No shots but K9 was harder than ZeRo haha. I can do it if I keep myself focused, I honestly owe most of my knowledge in the match up to a close friend of mine Zenyou the Mario player. His insight on any match up is incredibly depth. Sheik requires you to jump through so many hoops just to reset neutral it's insane for Samus it's even harder because landing against her is the biggest hurdle to overcome. I really look forward to facing Zero again.

SC: Any advice to fellow Samus mains out there how how to handle the Sheik matchup?

JW: Keep your distance! Zenyou always tells me to use my zair as a gauge to keep myself away. Try to trade missiles with needles for percent and make every grab count. ALWAYS. RESET. NEUTRAL.

SC: So when's the next time we might see your Samus in action? Are you attending Genesis 3?

JW: I am definitely going to Genesis! Hopefully I don't get robbed of stream time like Evo and Paragon haha.

SC: Alright man I think I've got the big questions covered. Any last things you'd like to tell Smashboards readers?

JW: Don't listen to people who think they know better than you. I get told to "take off the suit" and main ZSS a lot. I've tried her and it's just not fun. Pick whoever you like and just develop skills with that character. Hard work truly pays off! Learn from losses!

---​

A special thank you to Jonny Westside to for agreeing to do this interview. To keep up on his future adventures in Smash consider following him on Twitter. Think Samus might be better than people previously thought? Will ZeRo and Jonny meet again? Sound off in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future exclusive interviews.

Comments

Great job JWest! Your play was amazing and I hope to be as good out here in the east as you are out there. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going!

I really want to see the match video.
Smash4 Samus being low tier? Think again, this is Smash4, any character can play well.

Today is a great day for every Samus main in Smash 4.:4samus:
She is maybe not the best character, but damn, you can do some sick stuff with her.
#ArmorOnEveryDay

Last edited:
Don't listen to people who think they know better than you. I get told to "take off the suit" and main ZSS a lot. I've tried her and it's just not fun. Pick whoever you like and just develop skills with that character. Hard work truly pays off! Learn from losses!
Words of wisdom for all of you tier fanatics. If you put in the effort with any character, (except Mii Swordfighter,) you can make big things happen.

Last edited:
D
Words of wisdom for all of you tier fanatics. If you put in the effort with any character, (except Mii Swordfighter,) you can make big things happen.
Mii Swordfighter is perfectly viable tho lmao

Also nah, I hate this philosophy of "everyone is viable!!!" people seem to be adopting in Smash 4. There are still a good amount of outright unviable characters in this game, at top level anyway. For example...

:4duckhunt::4zelda::4jigglypuff::4dedede::4ganondorf::4palutena:
And if we're talking 1111: :4miigun::4miibrawl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Also nah, I hate this philosophy of "everyone is viable!!!" people seem to be adopting in Smash 4. There are still a good amount of outright unviable characters in this game, at top level anyway. For example...

:4duckhunt::4zelda::4jigglypuff::4dedede::4ganondorf:

Well, anyone is viable in locals if you're good enough. But if we're talking about nationals and bigger sized tournaments, more than likely, yes.

This is when secondaries come in, though. If one is serious about the competitive scene then a High+ tier character should be co-mained for matchup coverage.

It's honestly a bunch of work for the srsbsns of the competitive side. Gotta be prepared to win if ya planning on winnin'.

I agree with the Swordfighter.

But really, i think that Smash 4 have alot of viable character. Sure, there is, of course, soem character that have alot of weakness and not alot of advantage. But if we compare to like Brawl or Melee (I mean, The half of Melee cast is consireded not viable at High Level and Brawl have character like :metaknight: and:popo: that can end you're stock so quickly or slowy depending of the character. And then there is :jigglypuff::ganondorf::mario2::link2::samus2: that are like so bad that they are not even fun to use for the most part.) . I think Smash 4 have a really balanced cast. (Of course, someone is going to say :4jigglypuff: and :4zelda: are no viable at all. But hey, not my problem.:4olimar:)

Does Japan still use Duck Hunt alot or am I still confused.

Duck Hunt is still high tier there, for reasons I'll probably never understand.
I think their meta prefers more cautious play then the States's RUNINANDKILL Meta.

Heck, there could be an area with a meta that highly prefers bait and punish chars like Ganon somewhere.

I mean, they do require you to have a secondary, but it's about you having the most fun you can. And plus, it's probably good to have one Of those in your belt. Nobody will know how to beat those characters and they'll serve as a good way to throw your opponent off if you can play them at a higher level.

DunnoBro also at least has some results as a DHD main. The big issue with Duck Hunt is that the fundamentally unwinnable matchups for him come against some of the more popular rushdown characters.

JW: Don't listen to people who think they know better than you. I get told to "take off the suit" and main ZSS a lot. I've tried her and it's just not fun. Pick whoever you like and just develop skills with that character. Hard work truly pays off! Learn from losses!
Welp, guess I'm playing Melee Mewtwo again.

I cant wait to study these matches, this news excites me! All these months of hard work might pay off one day. Until then back to the grinding practice.

When I saw the set with ConCon I was literally screaming at my monitor spit flying out the mouth and all. Jwests play reminds me of why I love this game.

This man is the low tier hero we need. God bless his soul.

DunnoBro also at least has some results as a DHD main. The big issue with Duck Hunt is that the fundamentally unwinnable matchups for him come against some of the more popular rushdown characters.
Duck Hunt has some of the best zoning tools in the game. His issue isn't really about keeping people out, it's about what limited options he has to close out each stock.

Huzzah! It is nice to finally see some love for Samus. Though I hope Sakurai and team don't see this as a "Oh, she's perfectly fine". She still has problems that need addressing. However, certainly not the worst character as many people seem to label her as.

Great stuff Jonny, keep it up!

What did you just say about my boy Ganon? The darkness will consume you soon...

As a Samus main I find this very exciting! Congrats Jonny on placing so well with Samus. I haven't watched the matches but greatly looking forward to seeing how you played and maybe learn a bit more myself.

These are the things that give me hope that Sm4sh will not become just a pool of Sheik and ZSS. Unfortunately, many people lately seem very delusional about the future of this game.

User was warned for this post

Shut up.
Here, let me fix your fallacious list. :)

TFW you find out none of your mains are viable competitively.

That was a great match, excellent use of Samus's few advantages and closing out stocks on time.

Samus is still really not good (sorry, she's not!), but this player is good with Samus! Congrats!

A Duck Hunt took top 8 at TO11.

D
Missing Charizard, Bowser Jr and Falco
Tweek has gotten consistently great results with Jr and Falco is not a bad character by any stretch of imagination.

Didn't know that about Duck Hunt, though. That's impressive.

Top Bottom