• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where We Dropping Boys? Jonesy for Smash!

How would you want Fortnite to be represented? Be honest!

• Total voters

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Jonesy approaches.jpg

Jonesy for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!
Jonesy smash.jpg

Who is he? And where does he come from?

Jonesy comes from the massively popular game, Fortnite. In all of its core modes, Battle Royale, Creative, and Save the World, Jonesy serves as a default skin the player starts with. Furthermore, in Save the World, he represents the Soldier class, one of the four playable roles, whereas in Battle Royale and Creative he is merely just a skin.

Fortnite in and of itself is an online multiplayer game published by Epic Games available on all three major platforms, PC, and mobile. In Battle Royale, players drop off a battle bus and into various locations on the map. Once on the ground, they must scavenge for supplies and fight off others to be the last man standing. What makes Fortnite's battle royale different from others is the ability to gather supplies from the environment to create structures such as bridges or inclines. This drastically alters the gameplay as you are now able to decide how you want to approach other enemies and how you want to traverse the map. You are given the option to build on the spot cover to defend yourself from enemy fire or build massive bridges to avoid the terrain of down below.

In Save the World, the player is tasked with defending bases, rescuing survivors, and gathering supplies to restore the world to its former state after a cataclysmic event left only 2% of the population intact and gave way to the husks, the modes main enemy.

Finally, in Creative, the player is given free rein to do whatever they please. Whether it's building crazy contraptions to amaze, or creating more simple custom game modes, you are given total control of everything.

Why should he join Smash?

Jonesy would represent Fortnite, one of gaming's biggest success stories from 2017 and currently one of the most popular games in recent memory. Much like how Undertale and Minecraft have had a cultural impact on the gaming landscape and mainstream media, Fortnite has managed to bridge the gap between videogames and the public consciousness. Whether it be through the news announcing how it was becoming the new classroom distraction, to celebrities trying out the game with notable internet personalities such as Ninja, to the constant barrage of memes online, Fortnite has done what others couldn't.
Part of this success is due to it being free to play and it's kid-friendly art style. People don't have the fear of wasting their money, and parents won't have to worry about their kids playing games with violent imagery. This, combined with the battle royale craze of 2017, further proved to be instrumental in its success.
Finally, there may be those who look upon Fortnite and think "Why this game out of any others? It sucks!" Since it came out in 2017, Fortnite has gathered much disdain online due to its sheer popularity, with people hating on the game and the people who play it. Much like how when Undertale and Minecraft reached their apex and they became the subject of hate, Fortnite has received much vitriol online due to the mob mentality of hating anything that's big for no reason. While this hate persists in the community, it is safe to say that, like Undertale and Minecraft, Fortnite will eventually reach the status of becoming revered and fondly looked back on.

Wrap-up.

If Jonesy were to join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, he would represent a major part of modern gaming. Being from genres such as the third-person shooter and battle royale, and coming from a Western company, he would provide a variety of influences into Smash on scales similar to Dragon Quest and Street Fighter. While there may be detractors who say that he shouldn't be in due to Fortnite's popularity, the fact of the matter is that said popularity is warranted. Just how Minecraft's Steve and Undertale's Sans went from being hated individuals to now being highly requested characters, Jonesy is now on his path to seriously becoming a new contender for speculation. At the end of the day, we're all here to play videogames, and if the opportunity to represent one of the new pillars in gaming should arise, then I think Nintendo should take that opportunity. Besides, it's won't be the first time the Smash community has gotten angry at a character before.

Supporters:
Voe Voe

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Add me to the supporters list ASAP. The part about the unnecessary hate was very well spoken, and I'd also love to see a moveset in the future.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Add me to the supporters list ASAP. The part about the unnecessary hate was very well spoken, and I'd also love to see a moveset in the future.
I'll make sure to. I also plan on making a moveset in the near future, so don't worry about that.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Put me down as a supporter! I may not have played FN for forever, but I really enjoyed it when I did and it seems like a natural fit for smash! And think of the potential for stages and alts, not to mention spirits!

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Sorry I haven't posted in this thread for a while. I've just been busy with life and school. I have of course updated the supporters list. In addition, there's some interesting news I'd like to bring forth:

Now obviously this rumor isn't confirmed. And even if it is, that doesn't necessarily mean that Jonesy is getting in Smash as a fighter, if at all. It's just something neat to think about.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
"Biggest event"
Well, what could be bigger than teaming up with Marvel and Star Wars, two of the biggest IPs of all time? Or taking the map people have used for years and replacing it with a brand new one? Or dropping random hints in random places in the real world to lead up to their announcements?
This has gotta be something good, even if it isn't Smash.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
"Biggest event"
Well, what could be bigger than teaming up with Marvel and Star Wars, two of the biggest IPs of all time? Or taking the map people have used for years and replacing it with a brand new one? Or dropping random hints in random places in the real world to lead up to their announcements?
This has gotta be something good, even if it isn't Smash.
Easy, Sora is coming to Fortnite. /s

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wait Actually though, wasn't there like a rumor or something about Splatton Costumes being for Fortnite, or was it vice Versa

in any case, what if the Crossover is Nintendo X Smash Bros in Fortnite, and in Smash. Granted I don't know if that's bigger than Marvel and Star Wars, but then again, Pokemon is apart of Nintendo and that's the most Profitable media entertainment in the World. Mario is also one of the biggest Icons in the World

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Wait Actually though, wasn't there like a rumor or something about Splatton Costumes being for Fortnite, or was it vice Versa

in any case, what if the Crossover is Nintendo X Smash Bros in Fortnite, and in Smash. Granted I don't know if that's bigger than Marvel and Star Wars, but then again, Pokemon is apart of Nintendo and that's the most Profitable media entertainment in the World. Mario is also one of the biggest Icons in the World
I'll have to check on the Splatoon rumors. As for Fortnite X Smash in Fortnite itself, I don't see that making much sense. Smash is a crossover of game series in a fighting scenario. It doesn't have any characters of its own.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
You can add me to the supporters list please. Also I've posted this earlier in response to someone in the Feed mentioning the recent Fortnite rumor, but mostly on who the Fortnite rep could be. I feel like it would be a missed opportunity if Sakurai didn't add as much character alts as possible, and settling for just Soldier 76 Jonesy would be underwhelming.

Voe said:
Would the playable Fortnite rep only be Jonesy though? Maybe we'd get an alt costume situation where we get 4 playable characters with a color swap or 8 different characters with their own names? I wouldn't mind Fortnite content in Smash as long as I can play Penny, Peely, and that character with a cat head.

Also would Sakurai have to recode the game so the building mechanic works on every stage again? That sounds like a nightmare tbh. Unless, assuming Fortnite characters are coming as DLC, Sakurai and his team probably worked on the building mechanics of Jonesy and Steve at the same time and the building mechanic functions very similar to each other (with some little differences for Jonesy's building like rotating parts). I mean as far as cutting corners I believe this would be a good way of saving time for creating two builder characters together in the same Fighters Pass.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I think there was a rumor a really long time ago (pre E3 2018) about Nintendo content coming to the Switch version of Fortnite, plus a four player local co op for Save the World. Seeing as the Switch version launched without any of this, I think we would've gotten some Nintendo content by now in the form of DLC or a free update. But we don't, so I wouldn't count on any Splatoon, Smash, or general Nintendo stuff in Fortnite.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
You can add me to the supporters list please. Also I've posted this earlier in response to someone in the Feed mentioning the recent Fortnite rumor, but mostly on who the Fortnite rep could be. I feel like it would be a missed opportunity if Sakurai didn't add as much character alts as possible, and settling for just Soldier 76 Jonesy would be underwhelming.
Added. I definitively think Sakurai would add different alt costumes. You already have the basic skins to go off of, so I could see him adding four base skins and then four costumes. I would also think that Sakurai and co making sure the building mechanic works on every stage with Steve would save a lot of time when it comes to developing a potential Fortnite rep.

I think there was a rumor a really long time ago (pre E3 2018) about Nintendo content coming to the Switch version of Fortnite, plus a four player local co op for Save the World. Seeing as the Switch version launched without any of this, I think we would've gotten some Nintendo content by now in the form of DLC or a free update. But we don't, so I wouldn't count on any Splatoon, Smash, or general Nintendo stuff in Fortnite.
I said this in the Speculation thread, but I don't think we'd get any Nintendo content in Fortnite because then you would be able to access it on other consoles and I don't see Nintendo letting that happen anytime soon.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'll be honest, I never had any interest in Fortnite. Mostly because I'm not a fan of third person shooter style games.

That said, I do feel Ultimate could use more modern characters instead of more "retro" characters to show how "old or new, this battle is for all stars". So add one supporter.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I'll be honest, I never had any interest in Fortnite. Mostly because I'm not a fan of third person shooter style games.

That said, I do feel Ultimate could use more modern characters instead of more "retro" characters to show how "old or new, this battle is for all stars". So add one supporter.
Added, welcome to the team.
I think it's completely fine to support a character whose game you don't personally enjoy. I actually don't play Fortnite cause I can't vibe with the BR gameplay but I support Jonesy cause I respect the game as a whole and its impact on our current culture.

Dan

Smash Lord
Most people think Jonesy is a meme but his trailer could be Mario driving the Battle Bus in the sky with all the Smash characters on it, Jonesy jumps out and his splash screen says "Jonesy has thanked the bus driver" and then it goes straight into the gameplay.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Most people think Jonesy is a meme but his trailer could be Mario driving the Battle Bus in the sky with all the Smash characters on it, Jonesy jumps out and his splash screen says "Jonesy has thanked the bus driver" and then it goes straight into the gameplay.
I like this idea for a potential Smash reveal, but I think it would be a little too obvious. I think just making it seem like your typical Fortnite trailer and then jumping into Smash would be better, in my opinion.

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see a Fortnite character happen someday. Jonesy could even have a bunch of alternate character skins from Fortnite, similar to how Bowser Jr and Steve was handled with each character having their own names. The building mechanic, for the most part is already taking care of, leaving Sakurai to just tweak it so it suits a Fortnite rep's playstyle in Smash.

Also for the people who are saying they will un-install Smash Ultimate if Jonesy and Friends ever made it to Smash as DLC are very overdramatic. Fortnite's not even a bad game, and I sure as hell gave it more attention after I saw all of the comic book characters make it into the game, which made me try out the game for the first time and ultimately enjoyed it. Imo these people that complain about a Fortnite rep are the same people that always complained whenever their most wanted character hasn't been confirmed for Smash, or they feel threatened that their favorite pick might have competition. I don't know, I guess the moral of the story is you can't please everyone lol

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
How you guys feeling about his chances tonight?
To be honest, if it wasn't for Imran Khan talking about Jonesy and Samus crossing over in that one tweet, then I'd say his chances were pretty decent. But I feel like him talking about Jonesy in such a way is too obvious to be a hint. But that's just me.
I'd like to see a Fortnite character happen someday. Jonesy could even have a bunch of alternate character skins from Fortnite, similar to how Bowser Jr and Steve was handled with each character having their own names. The building mechanic, for the most part is already taking care of, leaving Sakurai to just tweak it so it suits a Fortnite rep's playstyle in Smash.

Also for the people who are saying they will un-install Smash Ultimate if Jonesy and Friends ever made it to Smash as DLC are very overdramatic. Fortnite's not even a bad game, and I sure as hell gave it more attention after I saw all of the comic book characters make it into the game, which made me try out the game for the first time and ultimately enjoyed it. Imo these people that complain about a Fortnite rep are the same people that always complained whenever their most wanted character hasn't been confirmed for Smash, or they feel threatened that their favorite pick might have competition. I don't know, I guess the moral of the story is you can't please everyone lol
It would be a missed opportunity if they added Jonesy but didn't add any other of Fortnite's skins as alts with him. I also agree with you with people being overdramatic with Jonesy and Smash. Just give it a few more years, then people will look on Fortnite with nostalgia, just like Minecraft.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
My smash roster leaked - Copy - quality down.png

I made a roster using Connor Rentz roster builder. I want to show it off to people but it's got 2 downvotes on imgur already and I just posted it.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So I've been thinking about this. I'm not opposed to it. He feels less generic now thanks to trailers fleshing him out. The island would be a great stage, though narrowing it down specific locations might be difficult and I wouldn't want a battle bus just floating above the island.

However the reason I post here is my real concern. Music. I've played Fortnite, I enjoy the game. But I don't have any idea on what songs would come with it. I feel the game has no musical identity.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
However the reason I post here is my real concern. Music. I've played Fortnite, I enjoy the game. But I don't have any idea on what songs would come with it. I feel the game has no musical identity.
Agreed. I'm sure they could figure something out given that we have songs for Flat Zone, but off the top of my head I cannot think of a good Fortnite song. My guess is they'll just make a few new melodies based off of existing sound effects such as an opening treasure chest or a storm closing in.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
There's a massive amount of emote music, trailer music, and lobby tracks they can use from the game. Theres also some tracks with a lot of energy that would make perfect tracks for fights, such as Afterburner

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't particularly 'want' Jonesy out of personal attachment,
but given the huge audience of Fortnite, I would be quite pleased for Smash to see him added.
Sign me up.

Top Bottom